Author Topic: GenCon 2019  (Read 31931 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: GenCon 2019
« Reply #210 on: 12 August 2019, 12:31:40 »
I think he meant with the diaroms or the events portrayed in the diorama.

At the very least that's what I'm curious to know more about.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #211 on: 12 August 2019, 15:28:20 »
If anyone has an extra day in Indianapolis (IE, the 'sign in' Thursday) then the newfields museum is worth visiting. The design section is flinch-worthy due to ergonomic impracticalities, but the asia and african sections are cool.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #212 on: 12 August 2019, 15:36:01 »
At the very least that's what I'm curious to know more about.

I can't speak to ALL the events, but I don't believe any of the Alpha Strike events had anything to do with the daiorama. Throwback Thursday was...I can't remember exactly, but it had its own map and minis. Battle of the Superheavies is Republic vs. Davion (at least last years was.) The Saturday Alpha Strike events were Star League vs. Kurita with just a pinch of Davion thrown in. I think one of the Total Warfare events was one of the battles of Hesperus, but I'm not totally sure.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #213 on: 12 August 2019, 15:51:57 »
If anyone has an extra day in Indianapolis (IE, the 'sign in' Thursday) then the newfields museum is worth visiting. The design section is flinch-worthy due to ergonomic impracticalities, but the asia and african sections are cool.

We'll make note of that for next year.  ;)
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #214 on: 12 August 2019, 18:14:32 »
I can't speak to ALL the events, but I don't believe any of the Alpha Strike events had anything to do with the daiorama. Throwback Thursday was...I can't remember exactly, but it had its own map and minis. Battle of the Superheavies is Republic vs. Davion (at least last years was.) The Saturday Alpha Strike events were Star League vs. Kurita with just a pinch of Davion thrown in. I think one of the Total Warfare events was one of the battles of Hesperus, but I'm not totally sure.

Nah, forget the events. I don't care about the events. I want details on what the diorama was depicting beyond "it's titan" It's 3151" and "there are wolves there"
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #215 on: 12 August 2019, 18:30:08 »
Nah, forget the events. I don't care about the events. I want details on what the diorama was depicting beyond "it's titan" It's 3151" and "there are wolves there"

So do we.  You're not out of the loop.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #216 on: 12 August 2019, 19:32:40 »
Would anyone be able to share some details on the Alpha Strike card boxes?  Contents, number of cards, etc.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #217 on: 12 August 2019, 20:41:45 »
Would anyone be able to share some details on the Alpha Strike card boxes?  Contents, number of cards, etc.

There is one card for each chassis listed in the corresponding Technical Readout. Each of those cards has the main variant shown there plus another variant on the back. I went with the new RS:SW variant if there was one.
There was then about 10 more cards that I put extra variants of those same chassis. These cards have different chassis on each side.
So there is a Hunchback card with the 4G and the 4 P, and there’s a card with a 4SP on one side and maybe another chassis on the other.  (Hunchback might be a bad example there, I might have put two extra Hunchback variants).  For Clan Invasion, the extra variants are all additional clan Omni configs.
Those total up to 98 unit cards in each deck.
There are then 10 combat command cards, similar to Combat Manual entrees.
SW has one combat command from each major House, and 5 mercenary.
CI has one combat command from each invading clan, one st. Ives, one Rasalhague, and one ComStar.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #218 on: 12 August 2019, 20:45:58 »
There is one card for each chassis listed in the corresponding Technical Readout. Each of those cards has the main variant shown there plus another variant on the back. I went with the new RS:SW variant if there was one.
There was then about 10 more cards that I put extra variants of those same chassis. These cards have different chassis on each side.
So there is a Hunchback card with the 4G and the 4 P, and there’s a card with a 4SP on one side and maybe another chassis on the other.  (Hunchback might be a bad example there, I might have put two extra Hunchback variants).  For Clan Invasion, the extra variants are all additional clan Omni configs.
Those total up to 98 unit cards in each deck.
There are then 10 combat command cards, similar to Combat Manual entrees.
SW has one combat command from each major House, and 5 mercenary.
CI has one combat command from each invading clan, one st. Ives, one Rasalhague, and one ComStar.
Cool, sounds like a nice product you put together. I am looking forward to seeing it in stores.  Thanks!

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #219 on: 12 August 2019, 22:18:22 »
How was the audience feedback from the painted Giant Awesome?  8)
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #220 on: 12 August 2019, 22:23:47 »
that second picture caption  :D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #221 on: 12 August 2019, 23:05:01 »
Since I do not see unit insignia . . . does that illegible little sign say what unit?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #222 on: 12 August 2019, 23:15:00 »
Since I do not see unit insignia . . . does that illegible little sign say what unit?

Nope. It says ‘Giant Awesome   Take your selfie with me’...seriously.

However, when I asked I was told it was supposed to be Black Widow company of Wolfs Dragoon’s.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #223 on: 12 August 2019, 23:48:41 »
Which is what I would expect, but it would be nice to see the insignia . . .
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #224 on: 13 August 2019, 09:10:10 »
There were no markings of any kind.
I have spoken.

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #225 on: 13 August 2019, 11:30:24 »

Really been getting under my skin with Catalyst. I saw the dice sets for 2019 hit ebay at $200 they are beautiful and it just feels like a dig at long term fans that can't attend that Catalyst offers no other way than to be there (or knowing someone that is going there).  Or am I dolt and missed some place that they do offer sales?

Catalyst sells dice etc at 6 or 7 conventions that they currently support with a retail booth

1. Gary Con* (Lake Geneva WI) - Feb/Mar
2. Adepticon (Chicago, IL) March
3. Origins (Columbus OH) June
4. Gencon (Indianapolis IN) August
5. PAX West (Seattle WA) September
6. PAX Unplugged (Philadelphia PA) December
7. Mechcon** (Vancouver BC) December

They previously had a retail booth at at least 5 other conventions in the US, but no longer do so.

Dragon Con (Atlanta)
BGG Con (Dallas)
Pax East (Boston)
Emerald City Con (Seattle)
Steamcon (Bellevue WA)

* note 1 - May not be retail sales at Gary Con 2020 as it's the same weekend as Adepticon
** note 2 - No dates confirmed yet, may be postponed
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #226 on: 13 August 2019, 17:10:26 »
How was the audience feedback from the painted Giant Awesome?  8)

I know who that Pikachu who fought that giant Awesome near the pods on Friday was!

How many saw the fight that day?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #227 on: 13 August 2019, 17:39:43 »
* note 1 - May not be retail sales at Gary Con 2020 as it's the same weekend as Adepticon

You'd think two cons that close together would try to avoid that.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #228 on: 13 August 2019, 20:02:13 »
GaryCon is a high-roller convention celebrating the life and times of Gary Gygax. It is therefore, primarily, a D&D convention.

Adepticon is a mass-market, and fast-growing, miniatures/wargaming convention. The overlap between the two pretty much was the two Catalyst Demo Agents who attended both this year.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #229 on: 13 August 2019, 20:17:18 »
GaryCon is a high-roller convention celebrating the life and times of Gary Gygax. It is therefore, primarily, a D&D convention.

Adepticon is a mass-market, and fast-growing, miniatures/wargaming convention. The overlap between the two pretty much was the two Catalyst Demo Agents who attended both this year.

Maybe only one company had an overlap, but it's not uncommon for an RPG player to also like miniature games, or vice versa.

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #230 on: 13 August 2019, 20:29:36 »
Maybe only one company had an overlap, but it's not uncommon for an RPG player to also like miniature games, or vice versa.

Sadly, next year they'll have to pick one or the other.  :(

Pax Unplugged (Philly) was also the exact same weekend as Mechcon (Vancouver) last year, with the only overlap  of the two events on opposite sides of the continent being Catalyst's participation.  :-\
In that case they sent two different teams to the two events.
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #231 on: 13 August 2019, 21:45:21 »
Yeah, something official needs to be done back in the South.
Colt Ward

ArchonDan

• Sergeant
« Reply #232 on: 13 August 2019, 21:54:07 »
I was very happy to the CGL at Adepticon this year and hope they continue to have a presence. I didn’t get a chance to chat with the guys but was able to pick some stuff up.