Author Topic: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!  (Read 251650 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!
« Reply #60 on: 15 August 2017, 09:55:22 »
I have no idea what you guys are even talking about. Two superstructures? Flight ops? I've been poring over the image here for an hour and can't find any of this.

Is this streamline enough? 

HMS Argus during WW2, there a Hawk Hurricane landing to boot.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #61 on: 15 August 2017, 10:33:53 »
Continuing the streamlining, this almost happened.

I have spoken.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #62 on: 15 August 2017, 10:41:58 »
That fantail elevator drives me insane. One power failure or bit of damage there, and she can't land aircraft anymore no matter how well the rest of the ship is running.

Then again, with her role as a nuclear-bomber platform, chances are any damage she developed in a war were expected to be 'melting in a thermonuclear blast', so I guess some bad ideas were just shrugged at. Given the length of time though that the Midways and Forrestals were kept in service, I'd bet she would have been retired before those ships. Think of the weight of a Phantom- let alone a Tomcat. Now slam that down on that elevator over and over.

I have long believed, and continue to believe, that the Navy actually was better off without this ship being built. My granddad flew the B-36 that competed for financing with her though, and I'm sure based on my conversations with him that he'd have rather not had the Peacemaker built either. (He loved the B-24 he learned on and the B-47s he retired on, but I never heard him say a nice thing- or one repeatable in polite company- about the B-36)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #63 on: 15 August 2017, 12:43:15 »

Two-gun turret of the civil code (the weight of each 550t) for battleship Conte di Cavour after increasing the caliber and elevation angle,1934.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #64 on: 15 August 2017, 13:56:42 »
Funny ships, those. It's a safe bet every other naval power looked at that and said "huh, why didn't we try that?"- whether it really worked out well or not is hard to say, though. The increase in range and angle of shot at longer ranges was definitely improved, and on at least a couple of occasions those guns as a result made life very difficult on Mediterranean operations. On the other hand, I've read that Italian guns tended to wear out far faster than contemporaries. For the Italians, that probably wasn't a big deal- their plans called for operations to be limited to the Med, so they never were far from home (thus the low fuel capacities for their ships as well), so guns that wear out fast probably were just seen as one of those 'feature, not flaw' things.

I'll note that this was referencing Italian naval guns in-general, and not just the bored-out guns on the Cavour/Doria class ships, in the interests of being fair. It's interesting though that only the Italians tried this boring-out trick- other navies, already using 14-inch guns or larger, probably didn't really have the need outside of the French dreadnoughts, the USS Arkansas, the Soviet Ganguts, and the occasional oddball like the German predreadnoughts. But to my knowledge, none of those navies ever really looked into a change to the ships' existing guns.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 15 August 2017, 14:00:56 »

The rangefinder of the battleship Wyoming in the line of duty,October 19, 1917

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 15 August 2017, 16:44:26 »

The rangefinder of the battleship Wyoming in the line of duty,October 19, 1917

"Oxygen is a crutch, I say!"

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #67 on: 15 August 2017, 16:48:24 »
"Oxygen is a crutch, I say!"

"range to target... 3 feet? I can't see  more than about that..."
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #68 on: 15 August 2017, 17:48:50 »
I'd be willing to bet that those guys unfortunately has their lives cut short by some form of respiratory disease.   
I have spoken.

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #69 on: 15 August 2017, 18:12:56 »
What do you mean Guns, I see the target clearly. 

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #70 on: 15 August 2017, 18:48:33 »
At least the Chief Petty Officer cannot see us sneaking a cigarette while on watch up here . . .

Yep, WHS standards were a little bit different back then.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #71 on: 15 August 2017, 19:19:03 »
I have long believed, and continue to believe, that the Navy actually was better off without this ship being built. My granddad flew the B-36 that competed for financing with her though, and I'm sure based on my conversations with him that he'd have rather not had the Peacemaker built either. (He loved the B-24 he learned on and the B-47s he retired on, but I never heard him say a nice thing- or one repeatable in polite company- about the B-36)

My old man was a mechanic on the B-47's. When they retired the craft they booted him out rather than retrained him on newer aircraft. Up until a decade ago he thought they had all been scrapped until we saw two at Dayton. One in the museum and another parked on the tarmac on the base itself.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 16 August 2017, 03:05:11 »
I'd be willing to bet that those guys unfortunately has their lives cut short by some form of respiratory disease.

The thing is, that's not coal smoke, that's gun smoke, so probably somewhat worse for their health, and definately worse smelling (cordite to me always smelled rather eggy) due to the compounds in it :s

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 16 August 2017, 04:09:36 »

Could be worse, could be asbestos exposed engine room crew

I work in the nice place people retire to from both Plymouth and Portsmouth so we get a relatively large amount of asbestos related lung disease. Or rather we did, not many of them still around  :'(

sick joke alert

they're also difficult if the family want cremation

end sick joke alert

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #74 on: 16 August 2017, 05:47:54 »
Let's get something to cure with, USS Repose (AH-16).  Built at the end of World War II, She was a Haven Class Hospital ship who started life as a Type C4 Merchant ships known as the Marine Beaver.  Decommissioned twice during her career, she did have a useful life.  She first helped attend men fighting Koren War. During her second recommission period, she and her medical staff treated 9,000 service men in Vietnam conflict. 

She decommissioned in 1970.  Before being scrapped, the Navy was considering to use her a morrned Medical Annex for Long Beach Naval Hospital but, it was decided it wasn't economically feasible. Having been stationed in Long Beach in early 90s, I'm kinda glad they did scrap her.  She and her other WWII sister ships had problem with asbestos, i won't had to go there instead instead of the hospital. A sister ship, USS Sanctuary, lingered after her decommissioning until 2011 because of the issues of asbestos.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #75 on: 16 August 2017, 09:48:36 »
My old man was a mechanic on the B-47's. When they retired the craft they booted him out rather than retrained him on newer aircraft. Up until a decade ago he thought they had all been scrapped until we saw two at Dayton. One in the museum and another parked on the tarmac on the base itself.

There's a few around- I got to tour one at the Museum of Flight in Everett, WA a few years ago (Granddad loved the photos), and I know there are a few others here and there. The Smithsonian had one in storage at the Paul E. Garber storage site in Suitland, MD during the 1990s (a photo I saw from back then showed that distinctive nose on the disassembled aircraft), but whether they still have it and where it's now stored, I don't know. The Garber site has been undergoing clean-out in preparation for closing it down and moving their storage to the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Airport, but whether the Strat made that trip or went elsewhere... dunno.

(Side note, the trip between Suitland and Dulles means trucks carrying interesting items drive right past where I live on the Capital Beltway- seeing a truck stuck in Beltway traffic with a mysterious canvas-covered and wingless WWII fighter of unknown origin is pretty entertaining.)

+Crow T. Robot+

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #76 on: 16 August 2017, 17:57:08 »
Back on topic here, in today's news the US Navy announced the the USNS Lewis B. Puller (T-ESB-3) will be commissioned as USS Lewis B. Puller (ESB-3) due to laws of war questions. See: https://news.usni.org/2017/08/16/navy-commission-expeditionary-sea-base-lewis-b-puller-uss-warship
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 16 August 2017, 18:55:24 »
Back on topic here, in today's news the US Navy announced the the USNS Lewis B. Puller (T-ESB-3) will be commissioned as USS Lewis B. Puller (ESB-3) due to laws of war questions. See: https://news.usni.org/2017/08/16/navy-commission-expeditionary-sea-base-lewis-b-puller-uss-warship
That's an interesting development.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #78 on: 16 August 2017, 19:41:00 »
picture from the article..

not super sexy, but definitely different. i'm curious as to whether they'll fit it with guns now that it is an official warship.. some Phalanx and SeaRAM at least, i would think.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #79 on: 16 August 2017, 20:02:14 »
Plenty of space on that superstructure for a couple of SEAL or US Marine sniper teams to be positioned with 50-cal anti-materiel rifles  ^-^

Seriously, a couple of Typhoon Weapons Stations are easily installed (from what I understand there are no penetrations of the deck required to secure them in place.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: 17 August 2017, 04:55:11 »
There's lots of footage on the BBC and similar of HMS Queen Elizabeth docking in Portsmouth from yesterday

The one shot I haven't seen is her compared to the historic ships in Portsmouth - HMS Victory (still in commission) and the former HMS Warrior (no longer in commission but afloat)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #81 on: 17 August 2017, 05:08:03 »
Here you go, HMS Queen Elizabeth with HMS Warrior in the background

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #82 on: 17 August 2017, 05:13:46 »
And at long last, a Type 45 (HMS Diamond)!!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 17 August 2017, 06:41:33 »

I'm trying to work out but I think the legal problems stem from internal US legislation rather than international convention for the need to change the status of the ship; these are the advantages of having a largely unwritten constitution apart from needing parliament to vote to keep the Army

anyway, here are some more images of HMS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Victory and because there are "exploded" diagrams of both warships, another exploded warship

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #84 on: 17 August 2017, 07:08:24 »
Not a fan of this.  I know it's about cost savings, and saving for alot of potential paper work.  There still potentially putting civilians in harm's way on a ship that was never designed to be remotely close to a hot zone. I served on a commissioned Auxiliary ship, which was not as vulnerable as a converted freighter is.   

Too me there two problems with it.
  • Civilian Risk: Biggest sore point is the potentially putting civilian's in harms way.  I know that's not worry initially, but a potential enemy or terrorist may not have no restraint targeting support units since there so vulnerable and easily rendered.  Puller could end up going down quicker than sack of potatoes since it's likely does not have a very good damage control.
  • Enlisted & Commission Ratings loss:  The point of Merchant Marines these days was to save costs so enlisted and commission personal could be focus on warships that are going into harms way.  The problem with that if this method of saving money by off-shoring costs of enlisted trained Engineering types to older (likely former military) persons. Its possible that that will cause bigger shortage of trained people in service.  A contractor can quit (yes, there contract but there still more wiggle room there) while enlisted can't.  I know for a fact there can potentially be alot enlisted people being unhappy, seeing these civies getting more money for the same job their doing and having more freedom to do what they want as well. 
« Last Edit: 17 August 2017, 07:11:04 by Wrangler »

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #85 on: 17 August 2017, 07:38:48 »
I'll throw one on the fire. Poor quality, sadly, but striking nonetheless.

+Crow T. Robot+

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 17 August 2017, 11:17:16 »

Unknown Destroyer

MN Battleship Danton.

HMS Falmouth
« Last Edit: 17 August 2017, 11:20:14 by marauder648 »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 17 August 2017, 11:31:59 »

HMS Courageous

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #88 on: 17 August 2017, 14:39:44 »

Unknown Destroyer
unkown? Aren't those life rings a clue to her identification?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #89 on: 17 August 2017, 14:45:21 »
Quick search came up with the Italian Lampo-class destroyers of WWI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lampo-class_destroyer

There's a ship by the same name that fought (and was lost) in WWII, but the photo looks pretty clearly to be older vintage than that. I feel safe calling it the WWI vessel.

+Crow T. Robot+

Register