Author Topic: Design Quirks you'd like to see? Negative ones too!  (Read 5148 times)

RifleMech

• Major
Re: Design Quirks you'd like to see? Negative ones too!
« Reply #60 on: 22 April 2024, 03:52:57 »
Weak underbelly is a good idea.
Yes it allows for MGs to be used as AMS.
Good idea.

Thanks.
As that's the case, what other weapon could this quirk apply to?
Thanks.

Most weapons still get an entire firing arc from the traverse/etc from their aiming systems. But with things like a mass driver on a WarShip, there can be cases there are no aiming systems at all.

Does this quirk really work then?

Comm equipment, high recoil weapons, artillery, anything that can't be used while mobile or that needs extra preparation before usage.

Com Equipment can't be used while mobile?  :huh: As for the weapons, I'm going to guess it's dependent on the weapon, chassis or both. May I suggest a Heavy Recoil Quirk instead? "This weapon's recoil is heavier than standard and units that aren't properly braced must make a PSR. A failed roll results in a crash/fall." An example would be the PPC Locust. The recoil from it's PPC can knock it over.

Mostly yes, but I think that making it date depended would be flexible. 
Possibly.

Date or equivalent date to cover new units built to old standards.

Maybe tie it to a Poor Fire Control System or weapon that is Manually Reloaded so that the vehicle requires more crew than normal? The vehicle with a normal crew numbers operates as if they were short crew members?

I do have a draft document that needs some work and testing, but it covers a few ideas, some taken from fluff in earlier TROs.

I also used a classification based on weapon BV to grade weapons, instead of the ad-hoc systems of tonnage and damage that have emerged around quirks affecting different scales of equipment.

Quirks begin on page four. Equipment classes start at the bottom of page one.

I didn't get through it all but what I read was either confusing or already covered with existing quirks and rules..

There's an old apocryphal mech from StarDrive, called the Junior, with some very interesting quirks (which predate the actual Design Quirks rules).

For example, its targeting and tracking system has a lower penalty when its damaged at the expense of only being able to use up to three weapons at once, and the mech tends to shut down randomly whenever you enter water.

I actually use the Shure-Shott CL-541/9 TTS on all of my mechs with exactly three weapons.

Cool.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #61 on: 22 April 2024, 12:13:25 »
Thanks.
As that's the case, what other weapon could this quirk apply to?
Thanks.
Anything small enough to count as a point-defense weapon in Aerospace.

Does this quirk really work then?
Why wouldn't it?

Com Equipment can't be used while mobile?  :huh: As for the weapons, I'm going to guess it's dependent on the weapon, chassis or both. May I suggest a Heavy Recoil Quirk instead? "This weapon's recoil is heavier than standard and units that aren't properly braced must make a PSR. A failed roll results in a crash/fall." An example would be the PPC Locust. The recoil from it's PPC can knock it over.
A lot of 20st and 21st century equipment can't be used while on the move, and that is what the quirk would represent.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 22 April 2024, 13:35:14 »
Anything small enough to count as a point-defense weapon in Aerospace.
Why wouldn't it?
A lot of 20st and 21st century equipment can't be used while on the move, and that is what the quirk would represent.

The problem with that is that machine guns are the only point defense weapon we have that dates back that far and I don't remember them having a penalty when used as point defense. Maybe tie it to the Fire Control System instead of weapons? Basic Fire Control with this quirk reduces the number of missiles hit by half. No Fire Control reduces the number by 3/4. I'm not sure this could apply to dropshuttles and primitive jumpships though.

Because that would apply to pretty much all guns and cannons that weren't arm mounted or on a flexible mount. Even weapons in a turret could only fire down the line of hexes it's pointing at instead of an arc.

Other than physical weapons and installations what can't be used while on the move that isn't already covered by the rules? I can see a specific brand of weapon but not the whole class.

Hazard Pay

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #63 on: 22 April 2024, 13:37:32 »
Reduced Sway/Improved Grouping

3(?) Points per Weapon, can only be taken once per weapon , can only be applied to Artillery

Thumper, Sniper, and Long Tom Artillery with this Quirk reduce shell displacement by -1 Hex

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #64 on: 22 April 2024, 14:06:46 »
The problem with that is that machine guns are the only point defense weapon we have that dates back that far and I don't remember them having a penalty when used as point defense. Maybe tie it to the Fire Control System instead of weapons? Basic Fire Control with this quirk reduces the number of missiles hit by half. No Fire Control reduces the number by 3/4. I'm not sure this could apply to dropshuttles and primitive jumpships though.
It future proofing in cases we get more PD weapons of those eras.

Because that would apply to pretty much all guns and cannons that weren't arm mounted or on a flexible mount. Even weapons in a turret could only fire down the line of hexes it's pointing at instead of an arc.
There is quite a bit of difference between some aiming capacity and none. Just look at the mass driver rules.

Other than physical weapons and installations what can't be used while on the move that isn't already covered by the rules? I can see a specific brand of weapon but not the whole class.
Not really, BT has or assumes that everything is usable while on the move, which is quite a bit more advanced than RL.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #65 on: 22 April 2024, 17:33:56 »
*snip*
Sure, plenty of systems are under-engineered these days (says the Navy guy)... ::)

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #66 on: Today at 19:40:47 »
It future proofing in cases we get more PD weapons of those eras.
There is quite a bit of difference between some aiming capacity and none. Just look at the mass driver rules.
Not really, BT has or assumes that everything is usable while on the move, which is quite a bit more advanced than RL.

Why would l machine guns still work but pre-primitive prototype lasers wouldn't?
Support vehicles with no gunners and no fire control also have  a +2. Mass Drivers appear to be aimed the same way, by aiming the vehicle.
Outside the heaviest weapons, when used on land, and by infantry, they can be used on the move. Just not as accurately. I can see even modern weapons having the quirk though but only specific brands, not a whole class.

Jeyar123

• Corporal
« Reply #67 on: Today at 20:10:17 »
Surge Protection - damage to the pilot, whether due to electrical or air pressure surges is reduced by one. Due to an accidental design confluence, when the current is going to be too high and damage the pilot, the circuit is cut out for a time, similarly, the anti noise baffling has enough give that massive pressure waves that can harm the pilot are also reduced a degree.  :huh:

Register