Author Topic: Trial of Possession for Omni-Tech  (Read 2263 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Trial of Possession for Omni-Tech
« on: 25 July 2014, 22:47:17 »
Looking at setting up a scenario for play that has the Falcons launching a Trial against the Wolves for Omni technology.  I looked a bit, but I do not have the Golden Century . . . who did the Falcons get Omni tech from when they trialed?

Would the Wolves only have been targeted after they started producing their own Omnis- such as copying the Coyotl originally and then introducing the Woodsman?

Do you think this would be a binary vs binary fight?  What mechs would be in the Falcon touman to be used before they gained Omni tech?  I seem to recall that some of the Omni Trials ended up with the only way some Clans gained the tech was as isorla off the battlefield.

Might this scenario work better with Elementals?

I was sort of thinking the Wolf defending force would be perhaps a few of the new Omnis, a Orion IIC because it would have a prestigious commander, otherwise . . . maybe the Shogun C, Imp C or Firefly C- basically things the Dragoons used
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Vition

• Sergeant
Re: Trial of Possession for Omni-Tech
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2014, 00:51:22 »
The Falcons reverse engineered omni-tech from equipment captured from the Coyotes.

If the Wolves were known to have schematics or scientists with an omni-tech knowledge base, they would have been possible targets before the Wolves had operational omnimechs.

At this stage of the clans, I have trouble seeing anything more than a pair of binaries, and a single one would be at the low end of what I'd expect.

Omni-tech began proliferating in the early 2860s, the first battle armor wasn't in production until 2868, so it's unlikely they would be involved in the early trials over omni-tech.

Not sure about the 'mechs the falcons would use though.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2014, 01:04:06 »
Looking at setting up a scenario for play that has the Falcons launching a Trial against the Wolves for Omni technology.  I looked a bit, but I do not have the Golden Century . . . who did the Falcons get Omni tech from when they trialed?

From Clan Coyote in 2863 (FMWC, p41).  As a sign of friendship with Clan Wolf, Clan Coyote provided the Wolf Khans with details on the unit that won the Omni technology from the Coyotes which would help the Wolves win the technology from Clan Jade Falcon.

Would the Wolves only have been targeted after they started producing their own Omnis- such as copying the Coyotl originally and then introducing the Woodsman?

Probably immediately after they received the technology.  However, in the interest of fairness the ilKhan and the Grand Council decreed that each clan could only forward one challenge per year to the Coyotes.  This constraint also applied to other Clans that obtained the technology.

Do you think this would be a binary vs binary fight?

It would vary depending upon the Clan and how much they desired it.

What mechs would be in the Falcon touman to be used before they gained Omni tech?

A mixture of SL designs, Clan refits of SL designs (C variants and first and sometimes second generations of IICs) and post-exodus designs (such as the Thresher, Fire Scorpion, Bane and Supernova).  The RATs in ED Golden Century (p21) do provide a list.

I seem to recall that some of the Omni Trials ended up with the only way some Clans gained the tech was as isorla off the battlefield.

Those wouldn't have been part of the Omni Trials but rather separate conflict(s).  For example, the Star Adders gained the Omni technology from Clan Mongoose who had acquired the technology before the Adders.  Clan Mongoose built a large number of them and then launched them against Clan Star Adder en masse.  Sensing their weakness, Clan Coyote would launch their own offensive against the Adders.  The Adders would salvage several OmniMechs from both Clans and swiftly develop their own.  After fielding three galaxies worth, the Adders would launch a counter-assault that would only end when the Mongoose Khan foolishly asked the Grand Council to intervene, would subsequently be declared unworthy and the Smoke Jaguars would be authorized to absorb them.

Might this scenario work better with Elementals?

Well the Elementals would be developed later and again the Falcons would win the technology early, this time from Clan Wolf.  In repayment of Clan Coyote's earlier information, Clan Wolf provided them with information on the Falcon unit that won the Elemental technology from them.

I was sort of thinking the Wolf defending force would be perhaps a few of the new Omnis, a Orion IIC because it would have a prestigious commander, otherwise . . . maybe the Shogun C, Imp C or Firefly C- basically things the Dragoons used

Just use the MUL and limit the intro dates to the timeframe in question.  Reminder:  All the Clans still fielded SLDF 'Mechs during the Golden Century, but it is up to you whether you want to field them or not.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2014, 09:35:58 »
I could not remember the order on some of it, started packing some of my books.  So I will just flip what I intended, the Falcons will be defending!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2014, 13:54:39 »
if you want omni's and elementals to be involved, you could easily set the game later in the timeline. what is being fought over is just a mcguffin for a scenario like this. instead of Omni-tech it could just be a specific design of new omnimech. or maybe a shipment of a certain type of omnimech the attacker's clan wants. (maybe the Falcon's want a cluster's worth of Woodsman. for example.)