Author Topic: 2011-03-30 The Memory of Pain [Jason Schmetzer]  (Read 6158 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
2011-03-30 The Memory of Pain [Jason Schmetzer]
« on: 30 March 2011, 00:31:32 »
"And now Anton Marik and all his ilk were going to die."

The BattleTech Introductory Box Set contains a short story potraying Wolf's Dragoons' attack on Anton Marik's New Delos palace after his betrayal of the mercenaries. To complement the release of the Box Set and that story, BattleCorps has commissioned a separate, more intimate story for BattleCorps subscribers, and present it here.

Midnightsun

• Corporal
Re: 2011-03-30 The Memory of Pain [Jason Schmetzer]
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2011, 02:18:47 »
Great story, it gives a much better insight into how Natasha becomes the Black Widow...

Jerrard

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2011, 05:00:09 »
Awesome story! I was wondering if this is the first time it was mentioned how the widows got there name?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2011, 06:19:40 »
In a way, this story is the counterpart to the old comic "The Spider and the Wolf" which also narrates the Dragoons' falling-out with Anton Marik, the early days of Natasha's misfits company and their attack on the Ducal residence. Both sources nicely fill the gaps left by the other.

Awesome story! I was wondering if this is the first time it was mentioned how the widows got there name?
Given that Kerensky uses the Widowmakers' hourglass symbol on herself, people used to speculate it the "Black Widow" somehow was a referrence to her supposed Clan Widowmaker roots/genetical heritage. Plus, donning the crest of an absorbed Clan is just what a bad girl would do. It was also insinuated that "Widow" referred to Joshua Wolf's death. But the Black Widow, like most spiders, is renowned for eating the male after mating so the comparison doesn't really fit the situation.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2011, 06:24:34 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Jerrard

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2011, 08:44:54 »
In a way, this story is the counterpart to the old comic "The Spider and the Wolf" which also narrates the Dragoons' falling-out with Anton Marik, the early days of Natasha's misfits company and their attack on the Ducal residence. Both sources nicely fill the gaps left by the other.

This makes me wanna read "The Spider and the Wolf" again. Got it last year and just browsed through the pages. Any major difference between the comic and the story?

fuzbuckle

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2011, 09:20:29 »
I'm only on page 12 and all I can say is...well nothing...I can't form my compliment into words.   Dang Jason S...Jamie and Natasha's hurt is mine.  Darn fine writing here.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2011, 10:47:38 »
Gods Bless it all, this just got boosted to the number one spot in my favorite one shot Battlecorps Fiction (last Day of Zeta was Number one till today).  it is awesome how Jason touched on Jaime, Josh's, and Tasha's Clan Roots.

and to see Natasha Kerensky so emotional, so human.  every other time we see her in Fiction she is portrayed as almost godlike, the woman holding all the cards and the gun to your groin to keep you from cheating.  This brought down the legend to mortal status in a way that makes me empathize with her.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2011, 11:22:10 »
good story, i liked it, but it still doesn't top a turn of the wheel, but this may be my new second fav.

and JP i agree, last days of zeta was bad@$$
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2011, 11:39:55 »
Wow, all I have is wow.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2011, 15:22:25 »
unreal story, definitely one of my favourites for sure.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Slade, The Grey Fox

• The Gentlemen's Mercenary
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My FanFic Page
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2011, 21:00:39 »
This is by FAR my most favorite Dragoon story EVER.

Unity, Jason.  This was FABULOUS.
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."
"Slavish adherence to ritual is a sign one has nothing better to do" - Natasha Kerensky

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2011, 22:08:18 »
I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.  Every so often one comes together just right...

;)
I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 31 March 2011, 07:00:55 »
I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.  Every so often one comes together just right...

;)

Jason, it came together perfectly. Thank you.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #13 on: 02 April 2011, 20:12:07 »
Yeah, this was an awesome read!  And I'm not even a fan of the 'Goons!
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 02 April 2011, 20:17:39 »
You do some great work, Mr. Schmetzer.  Nobody writes the Dragoons better, but I daresay I like your other merc work even better.  Keep it up.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 02 April 2011, 20:18:46 »
... but I daresay I like your other merc work even better.

Which ones, just out of curiousity?  It never hurts to take requests, LOL...
I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2011, 20:45:54 »
Halsten's Brigade and Lexington's Light Horse.  I wouldn't mind hearing more on the unnamed unit in "Pack Hunters" either.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2011, 08:55:19 »
Which ones, just out of curiousity?  It never hurts to take requests, LOL...

well in that case, more Crescent Hawks please.  Both Succession Wars AND Jihad versions
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Register