Author Topic: Unseen Samurai Repair Trick...but need a recommendation  (Read 2051 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Unseen Samurai Repair Trick...but need a recommendation
« on: 22 September 2019, 11:54:06 »
Hey, got a few busted-up Unseen Samurai ASF, sitting around; like I do?

I had two, with three of the vertical stabilizers busted off. The wingtip stabilizers are identical to those on the sparrowhawk, but these are trickier.

Here is what I found worked to make replacements.

You will need:

-sharp modeling scalpel
-1x broken-off original samurai fin (Snap!)
-glue
-replacement Seydlitz fins from IWM

1. Glue your original fin to each seydlitz fin in turn. stick it on so the back and bottom of the original is even with the back and bottom of your new fin.
2. Use the scalpel to trim the seydlitz fin to width and height using the original as a guide.
3. ???

And here is where I need help; I have some very tiny pin vise bits. The 0.3mm is my smallest. Problem is that my otherwise excellant pin vise doesn't have a chuck small enough to hold it.

My plan-A was to use my plussed-up drill and pin skills to bore throughthe base of the new fins and then bore matching holes in my samurai.

Plan-B was to just use the drill to bore holes for the pegs that come already moulded into the Seydlitz fins. Two points of mooring would be better than one.

Either of those might work; but B-sounds easier.

Get the trick for free, help me out with a recommendation if you can.

Glad to finally contribute like this!

Thank you!

Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Luciora

• Major
Re: Unseen Samurai Repair Trick...but need a recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2019, 11:59:52 »
Do you have a small enough rod you could base the fins on?   Use that to bore the holes in as the attachment point. Plus it'll give you a visual for the wing lasers.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2019, 19:28:50 »
Do you have a small enough rod you could base the fins on?   Use that to bore the holes in as the attachment point. Plus it'll give you a visual for the wing lasers.

I do not...

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2019, 22:03:29 »
A double sided pin vise should be able to hold any drill bit you have... My smallest drill bit is a #78 (.016) drill, and the tighter end of my pin vise has no trouble hanging on to it...

But I am a bit confused... Are you trying to repair the wing tip fins or the ones from the upper air intakes (the things above the wings and on either side of the cockpit)?

If you are trying to repair the wing tip fins, there is a simpler way... You are almost correct when you say the Unseen Samurai and Sparrow Hawk share the same wing tips. Actually it is Unseen Samurai, Sparrow Hawk AND Corsair. While not perfectly identical, I have previously purchased the newer Corsair wing tips from IWM. I figure if you know how to get Seydlitz fins, you can get these. The difference between the older and newer fins are slight, and would be no more noticeable than homemade fins.

If you are trying to repair the upper air intake fins, I would just trench a slot and glue in a cut down Seydlitz fin.

Either way, I'm not sure you would even need a pin vise to do either.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2019, 01:19:47 »
Oh!  I forgot about the Corsair, I have 2 as well.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2019, 08:14:24 »
A double sided pin vise should be able to hold any drill bit you have... My smallest drill bit is a #78 (.016) drill, and the tighter end of my pin vise has no trouble hanging on to it...

But I am a bit confused... Are you trying to repair the wing tip fins or the ones from the upper air intakes (the things above the wings and on either side of the cockpit)?

If you are trying to repair the wing tip fins, there is a simpler way... You are almost correct when you say the Unseen Samurai and Sparrow Hawk share the same wing tips. Actually it is Unseen Samurai, Sparrow Hawk AND Corsair. While not perfectly identical, I have previously purchased the newer Corsair wing tips from IWM. I figure if you know how to get Seydlitz fins, you can get these. The difference between the older and newer fins are slight, and would be no more noticeable than homemade fins.

If you are trying to repair the upper air intake fins, I would just trench a slot and glue in a cut down Seydlitz fin.

Either way, I'm not sure you would even need a pin vise to do either.

Not sure what you mean by double-sided? Mine are all 4-pronged chucks.

Upper air intake fins.

And "Trench a slot" , you say? Hmmm.

A.E. Housman

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2019, 12:37:19 »
A double-sided pin vise had a chuck at both ends. One end usually has a slight gap for large bits, but the other end is usually so close that it could trap a hair. Depending on the bit you are using, determines which end you use.

Caz

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2019, 17:25:33 »
And here is where I need help; I have some very tiny pin vise bits. The 0.3mm is my smallest. Problem is that my otherwise excellant pin vise doesn't have a chuck small enough to hold it.
One of my pin-vises has a double-sided collet (chuck). I just unscrew the collet nut, pull the collet and turn it around. What's yours look like?

Plan-B was to just use the drill to bore holes for the pegs that come already moulded into the Seydlitz fins.
To save a couple of nickels, I'd probably use styrene or a cut up credit card. Both are easy enough to shape. Leave a good, deep slot and use Cazaril's trench method for securing it (insert tab A into slot A).

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2019, 22:37:14 »
A double-sided pin vise had a chuck at both ends. One end usually has a slight gap for large bits, but the other end is usually so close that it could trap a hair. Depending on the bit you are using, determines which end you use.

Caz

As is mine; but the small side is not small enough.

To save a couple of nickels, I'd probably use styrene or a cut up credit card. Both are easy enough to shape. Leave a good, deep slot and use Cazaril's trench method for securing it (insert tab A into slot A).

Can you describe the technique for this?

What kind ofpin vise do you use?

A.E. Housman

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2019, 22:44:25 »
If you have sheet styrene, you could cut out a top and bottom fin, glue them together and use the resulting V angle as the superglue base.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2019, 06:25:25 »
What kind of pin vise do you use?

I believe it is an X-Acto... It looks like this;

They work great for holding smaller bits, but over time I have had to start using two sets of pliers to tighten and loosen the collar.

Can you describe the technique for this?

It is exactly what it sounds like... You dig a trench along the side of the air intakes (I've got soldering iron tools I use for this kind of thing, but even the back side of a scalpel blade could work)... Then you cut down one of those fins you have to the size you want and just glue it in. "Tab A goes in Slot B" kind of thing... Think about all the parts IWM gives us that have a little niche/slot that the other part goes into. Same idea.

As for styrene... While I use it, I wouldn't use it for something that sticks out like this. That is just asking for it to snap off... You already have the Seydlitz fins, I would go ahead and use them. They might get knocked off, but they wont (shouldn't) snap in half.

Caz

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2019, 18:10:30 »
I believe it is an X-Acto... It looks like this;

They work great for holding smaller bits, but over time I have had to start using two sets of pliers to tighten and loosen the collar.

It is exactly what it sounds like... You dig a trench along the side of the air intakes (I've got soldering iron tools I use for this kind of thing, but even the back side of a scalpel blade could work)... Then you cut down one of those fins you have to the size you want and just glue it in. "Tab A goes in Slot B" kind of thing... Think about all the parts IWM gives us that have a little niche/slot that the other part goes into. Same idea.

As for styrene... While I use it, I wouldn't use it for something that sticks out like this. That is just asking for it to snap off... You already have the Seydlitz fins, I would go ahead and use them. They might get knocked off, but they wont (shouldn't) snap in half.

Caz

Hmmmm. I'll try and find one, but suspect I will just have to keep buying random ones until I find one that works. I bought a GM one; huge mistake. Brought it home, took it out and returned it two days later. *looked* fine in the store when they took it out for me. Got it home and yup; the chuck is cut off-centre. Useless.

Since I'd be digging a trench along the edge of what is essentially a right-angle; it seems more complex to do that.

No chance on using styrene.

A.E. Housman

Register