Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157625 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #990 on: 30 March 2019, 00:27:27 »
Watching Blade II tonight.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #991 on: 30 March 2019, 01:09:37 »
Now I'm watching Blade Trinity.  Killing vampires with high beams and the like.  But it's still entertaining. 

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #992 on: 01 April 2019, 13:38:36 »
Now I'm watching Blade Trinity.  Killing vampires with high beams and the like.  But it's still entertaining.

Far more entertaining is Patton Oswalt's stories of what happened off screen.  You can easily find them on line.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #993 on: 01 April 2019, 21:56:46 »
Re-watched Thor Ragnarok and the Avenger's Thanos movie.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #994 on: 01 April 2019, 22:50:19 »
Re-watched Thor Ragnarok and the Avenger's Thanos movie.

Same here, also adding a re-watch of civil war and ant-man and the wasp..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #995 on: 02 April 2019, 02:56:39 »
Watched Deep Impact tonight.  It's like comfort food for movies...

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #996 on: 02 April 2019, 09:35:25 »
My brother has been marathoning the whole Marvel lineup for a month now, starting with The Incredible Hulk.  Just finished Infinity War last night.   Ant man and Wasp to follow soon.

Same here, also adding a re-watch of civil war and ant-man and the wasp..

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #997 on: 02 April 2019, 10:16:14 »
I have pizza, beer, and "Equilibrium" planned for tonight. Introducing it to a friend who's never even heard of it.  :)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #998 on: 02 April 2019, 22:01:22 »
Bumblebee is on blue-ray, finally. First watch with the family tonight. There will be more watchings.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #999 on: 03 April 2019, 00:01:30 »
Caught fantastic beasts 2.. Loved it.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1000 on: 03 April 2019, 00:58:26 »
Watcjong Three Kings right now on the tube.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #1001 on: 03 April 2019, 12:13:58 »
Train to Busan.  South Korea's first big mainstream zombie flick.  Good characterization, great tension, very well done all around.  The tight quarters of a high speed rail train is put to good effect.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #1002 on: 03 April 2019, 15:16:08 »
Train to Busan.  South Korea's first big mainstream zombie flick.  Good characterization, great tension, very well done all around.  The tight quarters of a high speed rail train is put to good effect.

I am not a zombie flick fan but I loved that movie! The claustrophobic terror on the train made it 10 times better than I expected.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1003 on: 06 April 2019, 14:09:54 »
Just got done watching Shazam! I went in expecting it to be corny, but was actually pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1004 on: 08 April 2019, 04:04:37 »
Just watched Gone, Baby, Gone. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1005 on: 14 April 2019, 18:45:08 »
Just got home from watching Captain Marvel.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1006 on: 14 April 2019, 19:19:15 »
Watched the Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom. Certainly different vibe to this one, I was sort of surprised how it got so dark in end. It reminded me of how the original Terminator movie ended or how the 1st Reboot ended.
Was this intended as lead into a sequel?
« Last Edit: 19 April 2019, 09:38:40 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1007 on: 14 April 2019, 21:12:18 »
Seems that way.  Not sure if it did well enough to get one, though.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1008 on: 14 April 2019, 23:25:40 »
I certainly don't think it did well enough to deserve yet another sequel..

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1009 on: 15 April 2019, 03:27:44 »
I certainly don't think it did well enough to deserve yet another sequel..

Deserve, such a loaded term. The box office take exceeded $1B, there will be a sequel...

I watched Lego Movie 2, it was pretty good, funny to see how they manage to break down creativity and growing up, as well as the mercurial relationships between siblings and the habits of parents. I don't think it was as good as the original, but it was still pretty good.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1010 on: 16 April 2019, 07:57:18 »
Watched The Meg last night.  It diverged quite a bit from the book, but it worked quite well. Shuya Sophia Cai was a hoot! Bingbing Li got to be more than "we'll cast Chinese actress to increase our draw in the Asian markets." Statham was... Statham. I was wondering how they would put him in a melee with shark that stretch between Home Plate and First Base, but they did.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #1011 on: 16 April 2019, 11:27:38 »
The Meg was the answer to a question no one was asking: "How do we make a movie about a massive man-eating shark attacking people to be completely family friendly?"    It was as if they refused to commit to the concept.  And a movie about a carnivorous shark the size of a whale is not served by half-measures.  The source books (I have read most of them) are goofy, over the top fun with a decent amount of tension and reasonable carnage based on the size of the sharks.  The movie missed that.   Didn't hate it, but it was a missed opportunity.

Oh, and they really should have done the first chapter of the books, regardless of how it was historically inaccurate.  The megalodon vs. T-Rex scene was the best thing in the book.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1012 on: 16 April 2019, 11:51:37 »
The Meg was the answer to a question no one was asking: "How do we make a movie about a massive man-eating shark attacking people to be completely family friendly?"    It was as if they refused to commit to the concept.  And a movie about a carnivorous shark the size of a whale is not served by half-measures.  The source books (I have read most of them) are goofy, over the top fun with a decent amount of tension and reasonable carnage based on the size of the sharks.  The movie missed that.   Didn't hate it, but it was a missed opportunity.

Oh, and they really should have done the first chapter of the books, regardless of how it was historically inaccurate.  The megalodon vs. T-Rex scene was the best thing in the book.

Yeah, I read a bunch of those books, about ten years ago.  Of all the things a guy can do to impress a girl, it wasn't half bad. :-)
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1013 on: 17 April 2019, 09:20:11 »
Another movie i just saw was Rampage starring the Rock.  I found it was actually entertaining, given how it's based on old video game.  This is shut your mind off sort of movie, but it was good.  Though i couldn't tell they left room for sequel or not.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2019, 09:38:04 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1014 on: 17 April 2019, 13:16:07 »
From my watching of it, no i don't see how they had any left over for a sequel.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #1015 on: 17 April 2019, 18:11:31 »
Did it make enough money?  Yes, it did.  Then there is always room for a squeal. 

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1016 on: 18 April 2019, 14:15:07 »
Saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom last night.   I'm surprised that Blue didn't end up sleeping on the porch of Owen's cabin

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1017 on: 18 April 2019, 19:35:03 »
Watching Zero Dark Thirty right now. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1018 on: 19 April 2019, 09:39:30 »
Saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom last night.   I'm surprised that Blue didn't end up sleeping on the porch of Owen's cabin.
Blue wanted to be free after being in that cage after the bullet nearly killed her.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1019 on: 20 April 2019, 11:47:13 »
Mandy.  A Nicholas Cage movie that left me simultaneously feeling like I wasted the 2 hours and 54
                     seconds it took to watch it and that I enjoyed it, but not enough to ever watch it again.

The Darkest Minds.  I liked it, but the story was obviously set-up with sequels in mind that I don't think
                                            will ever get made.

Doom.  Unlike the movies above, this was a third or fourth rewatch. Made me want to play some
                      board/mini games similar to the premise, like the Aliens board game, Sedition Wars or Legions
                      of Steel.

Register