Author Topic: House Rules: JJs + UMUs = MEHTs  (Read 1444 times)

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
House Rules: JJs + UMUs = MEHTs
« on: 05 September 2018, 23:29:41 »
Mobility Enhancement Hybrid Thrusters (MEHTs)

Relatively straightforwards idea.

1. Weighs as much as I-JJs per tonnage class as per normal I-JJ construction rules.
2. Takes up the same number of critical slots as I-JJs as per normal I-JJ construction rules.
3. Can only mount a number of them equal to your walking speed, NOT your running speed, unlike I-JJs.
4. Any of them mounted in the legs, when in depth 1 water, cannot be used for jumping, but can jump a maximum distance equal to the number of them mounted in the torso.
5. Cannot be used for water movement while in Depth 1 water, only in Depth 2+ water. Cannot jump in Depth 2+ water (for obvious reasons).
6. Identical modifiers for jumping into or out of water, along with identical modifiers for jumping normally, or water movement.
7. Causes heat whenever used in EITHER mode, identical to normal jumping heat.
8. Conventional vehicles of any type cannot mount them (No we don't need that kind of insanity to an already insane game :) ). BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs, and ProtoMechs only.
9. Cannot be mounted on Super-Heavy 'Mechs of any kind.

Yes, Quad-legged units can mount them, in the torso and/or legs, with the same restrictions as I-JJs. Same with Tripods.
Personally, using these house rules, you can get some seriously awesome 'squid' 'Mechs to mess around with.

Optional rules/ideas:

Rather than being useless in Depth 1 water, each MEHT in a leg can be used like a single heat sink. So bipdel BattleMechs & IndustrialMechs get +2 to cooling, while Quads get +4, and Tripods get +3. To get this bonus, the unit MUST remain in Depth 1 water the entire turn (no 'touch and goes' type of shenanigans). Depth 0 does nothing as its too shallow for the MEHTs to properly circulate the water to get a cooling bonus.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2018, 23:36:10 by AngryButler with a KNIFE! »
I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.

Retry

• Lieutenant
Re: House Rules: JJs + UMUs = MEHTs
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2018, 12:08:23 »
Now that's a neat idea.  I mean, really neat.

Seriously, the only thing I don't like about this thing is the acronym.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2018, 14:05:51 »
Well, they're huge by comparison to standard jump jets, so why not call them Hybrid Underwater Jump Jets(HUJJ)?  8)

Seriously, this is a cool idea. BT has always had underwater stuff in the rules, but it's always felt like such an afterthought. This actually feels well-considered.

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2018, 03:16:43 »
Hybrid Aquatic/Thrusters?  HATs?
I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2018, 13:35:53 »
Amphibious Maneuver Units (AMU)?
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?