Author Topic: Preferred VTOL for multiple roles in a Lance.  (Read 4107 times)

Retry

• Lieutenant
Re: Preferred VTOL for multiple roles in a Lance.
« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2020, 14:52:11 »
Like I said, its a one strike weapon . . . sort of the same deal as the Longinus SRMs . . . but I would use it in a situation on MM more likely, where I have DB and can use NoE to hide a slower chopper until it can dump the RLs into a target.  But for something like the Lamprey which is either 9/14 or 10/15 moving the troops to the drop at 8/12 or 7/11 to be able to hit something with 20 missiles on top of SRMs is not a bad situation.
Difference is the Longinus is BA and is either guarding a site or is transported by omnimech or vehicle, so losing the jump jets isn't terrible.  VTOLs losing half their MP and becoming about as slow as a medium tank on the strategic scale, even though it regains it once the pods are gone, is extremely painful.

pod-TAG is really the only genuinely, consistently good option.  With LRMs or Arrows in tow, that TAG does a lot more than a few rocket pods, and you only need one, so only -1 MP.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 28 May 2020, 16:03:51 »
I can see sacrificing 2-4 MPs, if you have excellent speed to begin with, for 20-40 rockets for a decent first strike.  Map dependent, if you're in wide open territory I might pass on the spam.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #32 on: 28 May 2020, 16:31:49 »
Which is also why I said it works better in MM with double blind- my VTOL can hide behind a stand of woods next to the road as your column passes, pop up and fire off everything I could . . . being slow is fine as long as I do not have a small window to get into position.  One up, forward 7 hexes where the Grenadier drop using their JJ, and I ripple fire both SRM4s & two RL10s (if the Lamprey is 10/15)- 36 points of damage possible is going to hurt the side of a vehicle.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #33 on: 28 May 2020, 18:52:29 »
Well . . . by fiction, it can be mounted on ASF IIRC . . . so I would expect yes?

So I can legally put a TAG on my Ferret w/o using "Customization" rules at the cost of dropping the speed to 12/18 from 13/20?

I assume there are rules for BV of bombs or TAG just like there are rules for adding the BV of Mines to the game?

I just want to make sure I'm getting this right.

And what rule book is this in?

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #34 on: 28 May 2020, 19:38:36 »
TacOps p 108 . . . hmm, they do not lose altitude while strafing either . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #35 on: 01 June 2020, 19:27:23 »
Seems to me only the Ferret shows much awareness of VTOL pricing forces …
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Register