Author Topic: 2012-05-04 Double Down [Philip A. Lee]  (Read 3388 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
2012-05-04 Double Down [Philip A. Lee]
« on: 04 May 2012, 02:22:24 »
"Get your gear and report to your station!"

When the Jade Falcons came to Blackjack, they found the planet's training academy battalion waiting for them... but they didn't reckon the resolve of all of the battalion's MechWarriors.

Demos

• Captain
Re: 2012-05-04 Double Down [Philip A. Lee]
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2012, 05:37:43 »
A nice story.
It's good see an additional piece from 'Invading Clans' Jade Falcon Sourcebook as BC story.
Good work!  O0

Just for interest: I'm a bit confused. Now apparently *only* Clan invasion stories are published. IMHO it is quite "boring", to have only one timeline covered. Were all writers set only to tell 3050s stories? A few SL, SW, FCCW or Jihad stories would also be welcomed.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2012, 06:06:28 by Demos »
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2012, 08:15:13 »
A nice story.
It's good see an additional piece from 'Invading Clans' Jade Falcon Sourcebook as BC story.
Good work!  O0
Glad you liked it. That story was also a blast to write  :D

Just for interest: I'm a bit confused. Now apparently *only* Clan invasion stories are published. IMHO it is quite "boring", to have only one timeline covered. Were all writers set only to tell 3050s stories? A few SL, SW, FCCW or Jihad stories would also be welcomed.
These last four stories are intended to be an thematic anthology along the lines of the Proliferation Cycle or the four-story Operation KLONDIKE series that published about a year or more ago. There was a note in the news section on the main page that mentioned this right before Mr. Schmetzer's story was published, and the goal was to feature stories set within the very first year of the invasion that showed not that the Clans won (because we already know that) but that showed the "moments of brilliance" that occurred on both sides during the invasion. "Double Down" should be the last of this series; after that it's business as usual.

An interesting point of note regarding this story: For those who might remember, Star Commander Davin shows up in my first BattleCorps story, "A Wolf in the Eyrie."

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2012, 08:55:13 »
"Double Down" should be the last of this series; after that it's business as usual.
I have that almost-finished story that perfectly fits in though it wasn't conceived for this serial... only one scene to go then I can sling it at the Writer's Workshop, hopefully later today or tomorrow. Let's see if I can add a fifth part to that quadrology.  :)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2012, 13:46:53 »
An interesting point of note regarding this story: For those who might remember, Star Commander Davin shows up in my first BattleCorps story, "A Wolf in the Eyrie."
Poor Davin. An unfitting end for such a warrior.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2012, 13:55:18 »
Poor Davin. An unfitting end for such a warrior.
I was hoping someone would pick up on that  ;D

Of course, don't rule out any possible Davin cameos in the future. Unfortunately, since his eventual fate is already known, having him as the protagonist again might kill a bit of the suspense.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Author Page
Official Website

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2012, 07:37:03 »
Interesting. Any particular reason why two of latest stories have Clans fighting against cadets?

I'm going to read this tonight.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2012, 13:52:33 »
It wasn't planned that way; it just happened. All of us claimed a particular battle to make sure we weren't all writing the same story, but that was about it. Another funny coincidence is Jason noted three stories in the series have Clan characters with facial scars, so he called for a moratorium on scars for at least a year  :D

Author Page
Official Website