Author Topic: Kickstarter new minis - Your plans?  (Read 5171 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Kickstarter new minis - Your plans?
« Reply #30 on: 28 July 2019, 22:12:12 »
Hmm, the ones are noticeably bigger for sure. In large groups, they probably meld with others OK but still...

Asking because i'm wondering about force building in the future once i get the new minis.
Was thinking of throwing the new minis with a Star League force made from TRO2750 'Mechs but not so sure now.

Oh, well, i'll have time to think about it.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #31 on: 29 July 2019, 00:06:36 »
The problem with doing an SLDF force is that, with a few exceptions, an entire company needs to be just one 'Mech type.  Which is great for BattleForce level engagements, but hard to do at BattleTech-scale engagements, given the number of identical minis you'd need to olive-drab.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #32 on: 29 July 2019, 00:30:47 »
Hmm, the ones are noticeably bigger for sure. In large groups, they probably meld with others OK but still...

Asking because i'm wondering about force building in the future once i get the new minis.
Was thinking of throwing the new minis with a Star League force made from TRO2750 'Mechs but not so sure now.

Oh, well, i'll have time to think about it.

The problem with doing an SLDF force is that, with a few exceptions, an entire company needs to be just one 'Mech type.  Which is great for BattleForce level engagements, but hard to do at BattleTech-scale engagements, given the number of identical minis you'd need to olive-drab.

You could do a mercenary company that is themed around the SLDF, like the screaming eagles for example. Same camo scheme, and it would make sense for them to not be composed of one 'Mech type.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2019, 00:34:45 by .RL »
A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

My humble offering of painted 'Mechs

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #33 on: 29 July 2019, 00:38:40 »
True.  And if your usage timeframe was the latter few years of the Civil War, you could justify mish-mash units having been cobbled together from shattered commands, and having long since lost any semblance of uniformity in equipment.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 29 July 2019, 08:28:43 »
Didn't SLDF have some irregular forces that didn't go for uniform companies?
Either way, i'm gonna ignore that bit about the SLDF, i'm sort of a "one of everything" collector... plus i'm not too sure about the olive drab either.

While i describe the unit as a Star League force, i'm not sure it truly is that, "very early Clans" is perhaps better description, especially if i'll get around getting an Atlas II (very late addition to the SLDF).
Alternatively, it becomes a ComStar force. Not sure yet. Or maybe something that can be applied to many forces.

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 29 July 2019, 08:47:37 »
In the end, at least from what I have experienced, no one in the community seems to be overly concerned with what you do with your force.  Sure, if you want to do a specific force that has listed equipment then you can, but you can also modify the story a bit to say, 'well, this is what remains after a battle' or 'there was a small group that did their own thing' or 'this equipment fractured off from the main force'.  Similar to fighters in WWII (and now to an extent) with people painting stuff on their planes I am sure that would be even more escalated in the future when your military command might be light years away and cannot verify your paint scheme is per specification every month.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 29 July 2019, 09:14:10 »
I'm concerned about my force  :D
That includes not being canon-compliant.
Of course, i happen to like working within limits, it is problem solving.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #37 on: 29 July 2019, 11:24:04 »
Here you go.  Awesome metal resculpt next to new plastic version and new Battlemaster.  So much better. :)
"Don't worry Grandpa we have arrived!"
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #38 on: 29 July 2019, 11:42:14 »
"Don't worry Grandpa we have arrived!"

rolling up to the battlefield like

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #39 on: 29 July 2019, 12:03:33 »
I think I'm going to do this breakdown:

4 Command Lances
I need 1 Marauder
I need 2 Archers
I need 3 Stingers;

(why 4? I'm also planning to do a 7th Crucis Lancers Valkyrie Lance)

3 Battle lances:
I need 1 Phoenix Hawk, and WANT at least two more
I need 1 Warhammer
I need 1 Rifleman
I need 1 Wasp

1 Direct Fire lance
I need 1 Crusader.

1 Beginner's Box (though I might get that later via Amazon or my FLGS)
I need 1 Griffin.

Yep, I'm planning on doing the classic Black Widow Company.

anime ninja

• Corporal
« Reply #40 on: 29 July 2019, 12:33:34 »
I am looking at getting the 2 ComStar lances and the battle, Command,  striker and another one.  As well as the minis from the starter sets.  I have my old rule books and the old TROs from the 80s and 90s but my mini are old school (lead?) and I want to get new ones to introduce the game to my son.

That number of minis should be good.   I will just paint them in random camo or what ever he wants to paint them as.

Seawolf2037

• Recruit
« Reply #41 on: 29 July 2019, 19:59:29 »
I'm sure when they come out, I will figure out. Right now its a question of which Clans do I paint up.  ;)

mmmpi

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 30 July 2019, 01:57:18 »
Divide the clan mechs between Coyote and Shark/Fox.

Divide the IS mechs between my Lyrans (6th), FWL (Marik Militia OpForce), and MoC