Author Topic: (Answered) XL engine repair: critical hits are taken in all three locations  (Read 2373 times)

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
situation: Got a Man O' War that suffered internal damage on all three torso locations (from the front, but no location completely destroyed as yet) and in each location, the engine took 2 critical hits.

1) When i make my repair rolls using the rules found on SO pg 184, is the maintenance action considered for the entire engine as a single repair action or the specific critical hit locations for a specific location, which in my case, would require 3 rolls?
1a) in previous 'Master Repair charts', the entry in SO 184 "3 Critical Hits", it was referred as "<6 critical hits". does that mean potentially the lose/replacement of the engine with as few as 4 critical hits (assuming a standard engine) or should that ruling only apply to CT critical hit slots, regardless of type of engine? that is, because SO only states 3 choices for engine repair on that particular table (where previous versions of this table stated <6 critical hits), with 1, 2 or 3 critical hits, in situation where the engine took 4 or more critical hits, would such damage render it unrepairable (this applies to standard engine as well as a XXL engine)?

2) I assume in the case of a side torso being completely destroyed, the Internal structure must be repaired/replaced before any work can be done on a unit with a XL engine (am i correct?)

3) does the rule, that standard engine taking 6 criticals requires replacement of that engine (no repair) is amended to XL engines that require all of its slots (10 for clan and Light Engines, 12 for IS XL engines, and so on for XXL engines), in all 3 torsos in order for the replacement only rule to be in effect?

my own presumption is one, one roll for the entire engine. that presumes that the internal structure on the RT & LT has been completed, of course. though on the other hand, having to roll 3 times for each torso means in worse case scenerios, the engine was partially repaired, with a stacking potentional +24 heat per turn, from various leaks across the engine (which would render the engine worthless in most cases, if the tech rolling was Elite).
« Last Edit: 29 May 2013, 11:54:06 by Paul »

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
what i decided to do was this:

the repairs occurred in this sequence

• Repair Center Torso damage
  • Repair/Replace Right Torso damage
  • Repair/Replace Left Torso damage
  • Repair Center Torso Engine damage (Modifier based on total damage sustained to CT
  • Repair Right Torso Engine damage (Modifier based on total damage sustained to RT
  • Repair Left Torso Engine damage (Modifier based on total damage sustained to LT

the total time to complete those repairs and/or replacements is taken into account, as well as time multipliers for extra time taken, for Internals repairs are done first, before engine repair rolls. then three repair rolls are done for each torso (again, total time consumed for each torso worked on, multiplied by extra time taken), resulting in success or failure checks.

I had the GF roll from her preferred pile of dice. they didn't fail her, LOL.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
1. The Repair attempt is for the entire engine. So, a single roll for 3 criticals
We're looking at issuing errata such that p.184 to shows 3+ critical hits as an option.

1a. No.

2. Yes.

3. The applicable rule for 'Mechs is on p.177 of SO:
"Engine: An engine that has suffered a critical hit to every
location or has exploded (see Engine Explosion, p. 77, TO) is
considered truly destroyed and must be replaced."
The solution is just ignore Paul.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
Thank you. Sorry if my questions required bablefish to solve...  ;D