Author Topic: Ideal/expected minimum DPS per weight class?  (Read 1977 times)

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
Ideal/expected minimum DPS per weight class?
« on: 29 September 2019, 15:05:16 »
Do you have any idea that how much alpha strike or continuous DPS would be needed to each specific weight class group?

Sure, I know that it largely depends on the role, expected range of engagement, and the traits of individual weapons. Even with the same weight a Sniper/Missile Boat's alpha is surely weaker than a Juggernaut, or we are simply end up with taking Gauss and PPCs rather than consider bulky AC/20s. One big punch vs a barrage of weaker blows is an another issue, that the weaker attacks may cause more overall damage but is usually not enough to punch through the armor quicker. It gets worse if we consider the timeline, for comparing SW era IS mechs and dark age mecks is simply not fair.

But, anyway, unless the unit is scout, that is not expected to kill stuffs alone, all frontliners are needs to have at least some degree of threat. And, you will expect that a Dragon hits harder than a Cicada, a Marauder hits harder than a Dragon, a Battlemaster hits harder than a Marauder, an Atlas hits harder than a Battlemaster, and finally, an Annihilator hits harder than an Atlas. Then, how much would be the 'minimun requirement' to be a threat against the enemy?

I have not much an idea for this, but it seems that how to grouping the weight class/range is required. It may simply divide them by four weight class group(Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault), divide them by 20 tons(so ~20, 25~40, 45~60, 65~80, 85~100), 10 tons, or ideal mass with XL engine(8+ - 40 or less, 7 - 45~50, 6 - 55~60, 5 - 65~75, 4 - 80~95, 3 - 100). If you have an another standard of grouping you may use it.

If the unit is a battlemech, and Double Heat Sink is introduced, I think that they can easily afford four ER Medium Lasers and takes at least 20 points of expected alpha strike damage against short-medium range quite easily. So, if the unit is a battlemech, is 20 points of DPS output a minimum requirement for all weight class and role, if DHS is available and the unit is expected to engage the enemy in short to medium range?

It is not need to be ER ML, though, but it seems the most easy ways to archive 20 points of damage on short-med range if you have at least ten DHSs. And there are a plenty of canon designs with at least four ER MLs actually.

I am basically consider Inner Sphere techs, but the standard of Clans seems interesting as well.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
Re: Ideal/expected minimum DPS per weight class?
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2019, 16:40:32 »
For a primary damage dealer? 'Tonnage divided by two at 9 hexes' is fine by me, in most cases, with exceptions for lights/mediums sporting gauss rifles or AC/20s.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2019, 17:01:56 »
For dedicated close ranged fighter, it seems not a bad deal.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2019, 18:09:51 »
I don't have a hard and fast rule, but 20+ for a damage dealer of any is almost always mandatory.  There are exceptions when you dealing with a design that is trying to pull off the best of all world.  The rule of thumb is you pick two of the three as your best asset:  speed, firepower, armor.  Never the less, something like the Bliztkreig 4F or a Packhunter 2 or 3 may deviate from that rule due to the fact it has one trick that is an exceptionally good one, the ability to head cap at a range that makes it nearly impossible to be hit in return.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2019, 18:17:53 »
Blazer Cannons FTW!  :D

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2019, 19:15:50 »
They definitely make an Enforcer for that.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2019, 07:00:41 »
Then 20+ points of alpha seems required. Because 20+ damage in a phase is required to force PSR against the enemy mech, it is a reasonable standard too. Thanks.