Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 199083 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Well, some Coyotes did leave the Homeworlds to join the Crusader Wolves.  But you can get the Coyote dice & coin as add-on even if your faction pack is Wolf.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteveRestless

• Major
Just inventoried my metal minis. Between what I have now, and what I'm kickstarting, I've got a tidy cluster of Wolves. It's a heavy one, but that suits me fine.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
So, I thought I'd pop in and say hello.  I'm getting back into Btech, and pledged the Bloodnamed level on Clan Invasion KS.  Given the distinct lack of Coyotes around, I'm thinking I'll choose Wolf for my Faction gear...

The more you try to kill coyotes, the faster they breed. It's a weird thing.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
;D ;D ;D

Not THIS Coyote in particular...he's neutered...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
;D ;D ;D

Not THIS Coyote in particular...he's neutered...

They can clone that, don't cha know?  :thumbsup:

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
So the KS got me back to playing some Clan Invasion MM (might have to revisit the Refusal War)- even before it opened just the word got me playing binary vs battalion.  I also worked on some maps . . . and I am nearly ready to kick off the defense of Icar by the 3rd of the 12th Star Guard and the 3rd Icar Armored Brigade.

To summarize the planetary invasion . . .

March 3050 the 4th Wolf Guards landed two Supernova Trinaries and a star from Alpha Assault which is 35 mechs and I THINK it was 75-100 Elementals, I do not have my file or WCSB with me at the moment.  Lots of Gargoyles and Timber Wolves, no surprise with that force list from the Tukayyid book though ER3052 now requires one of the mechs to be a Nova if it was not present already.  But it did have a Warhawk in the mix as the slowest mech fielded.

The 3/12 Star Guard's Bravo Battalion was the force near the Wolves' LZ though none of the 3rd IAB was reported to be supporting them, perhaps some where present as scouts.  Either way, per ER3052 the Bravo Battalion got hammered flat in a short time- panicked radio signals after a opening salvo killed the BN's major outside of LRM range.  To be fair, it sounds like the landing area was pretty flat and maybe open- likely little vegetation like in a rain shadow b/c of the description of later maps.  Either way 35 Clan mechs, mostly Gargoyles and  Timber Wolves with some Ice Ferrets and Adders against 36 3025 designs even if heavier than the IS medium average is going to be over quickly- before the Elementals can even really factor in.

Considering how the Wolves were greeted after the LZ- likely with massed fire- and their Star Colonel's response to Col Caitlin, which was pretty hostile b/c they were mistaken for mercs . . . would the Wolves have stuck to dueling after destroying the Bravo Battalion?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteveRestless

• Major
Two schools of thought, if you ask me.

If the enemy is going to gang up on you, there is little reason not to respond in kind if you are so inclined...

... but the enemy's dishonor is only one side of the equation. The bragging rights are far sweeter if you stick to your guns and maintain zell even as they try to mob you. Perhaps nothing better can be expected of the spheroids, but that hardly means we need to wallow in the same mud, quineg?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Okay, now that I have looked at it . . . 25 mechs, they were not Supernova Trinaries but Binaries.  Still 25 mechs (Warhawk, Mad Dog, Ice Ferret, Nova, 15 Gargoyles, 6 Timber Wolves & 100 Elementals) against 36-40 IS meds/heavies/assaults, the regiment had no lights.  Guess I will throw out one of the Gargoyles for a Nova S, since a Nova's BAP detected the mercs waiting in ambush.
Colt Ward

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
45 Points of Clan vs 40 IS 'Mechs in the early Invasion doesn't exactly strike me as a fair fight, let alone one that's particularly honorable in the undertaking.

EDIT: and also averaging over 75 tons per Omni.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2019, 10:40:15 by Scotty »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
With having 15 Gargoyles and a Nova S, the other 9 mechs are going to have to fill in where the Gargs have any weaknesses . . . so to go against nearly two veteran battalions (5 companies & a command lance) of mostly 3025 mechs (gave them a few improved, Stalker 5S, and they had one Noisiel winner- Capt Lief something who won a Marauder 5S) and two companies of armor w/ 2 reinforcing I am thinking of the following-

Warhawk A
Nova S (MW Geetha- may die in battle)
Ice Ferret D
thinking Mad Dog C or B

Timber Wolf Prime
Timber Wolf A (mine are usually cursed)
Timber Wolf C
Timber Wolf D
Timber Wolf S
Timber Wolf C

Gargoyle D (commander, Star Captain Skinner Ward)
Gargoyle Prime
Gargoyle C
Gargoyle A
Gargoyle Conal

Gargoyle D
Gargoyle Prime
Gargoyle C
Gargoyle A
Gargoyle C

Gargoyle C
Gargoyle C
Gargoyle A
Gargoyle A
Gargoyle D

5 UAC/20, 10 ERPPCs, and maybe some Gauss Rifles depending on the Mad Dog . . . you can also tell I like cERLL.  I also plan to put infernos in the SRM ammo bins- maybe some with the Elementals.

It was 25 mechs and 4 stars of Elementals against a heavy regiment & armored brigade.  But b/c of how the Clans force the tempo and the Wolves had a strategic speed advantage they defeated the IS forces in detail.  The force list & weight is from the WCSB except for the Nova, that is specific to ER3052 though that warrior & mech are not in that formation at Tukayyid.  Notice the second battle, a IS ambush could be up to 85 mechs w/ armor support vs those same 25 mechs and 100 Elementals- and no matter what, I find it hard to believe that not a single Elemental would have been taken out during the first LZ battle.  Since the Bravo BN did hit the Wolves right at their LZ, I would expect they reloaded and probably re-armored their machines, though I do not expect them to have spent the time doing things like any needed engine/gyro/weapon repairs.
Colt Ward

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
That sounds significantly more reasonable; carry on
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Lol, yeah I was using this to test force/BV and a more nuanced zell on general maps b/c I already had the force lists.  A elite Supernova Binary against a mech vet/reg battalion w/command lance and two reg companies of vehicles was 'close' to BV balanced- a couple thousand in the IS favor, but close enough when you are talking 40-50k.

Now I am  going with the actual scenario combining WCSB, ER3052 and CM Mercs . . . I am actually interested to see if the heavy hitting power of the Clan weapons can overcome that much armor in a IS ambush in rough terrain.  The IS forces will not have a lot of mobility being mostly 4/6s with the terrain as described in the scenario, but it will not give the Wolf mechs the run lanes to get +3 and their decision to usually skip on JJ will hurt a bit.  While the 3rd of the 12 Star Guard will not rout, the armor force would so I just need to figure that point out . . . and when the mercs would decide to retreat, especially since there are limited passes out of the chasm.

Right now the battle is 6x6 BT size maps, but I am thinking of going to 8 wide for a pursuit option.  When I have the map laid out I will post a picture of it . . . though I will need to figure out how to do the thumbnail you click on to expand.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Well . . . the test game finished, and yeah that terrain as described in the ER3052 track definitely is an advantage for the IS, I did not get in long range shots with my elite pilots for the most part . . . though I did get one or two with the UAC/20 from a Gargoyle C.

IS Company was wiped out

Clan forces lost a point or so of Elementals and they took general damage, the Nova S had a leg melted off, engine & MG crits and got knocked on the noggin.  The Star Captain's Gargoyle A lost all the armor on the front except for legs and head, into the red on a rear torso location.  No crits but internal structure damage and a hit to the head.  Timber Wolf C lost armor, into the yellow, but nothing went internal since it still kept some on all locations.  Timber Wolf A and Gargoyle C took very minor armor damage if any at all.  So to extrapolate . . . 60% of the Clan mech & Elemental force would be in a position to press on (prob better since none of the IS retreated, in canon they did) in pursuit of retreating mercs.  Another 20% of the Clan mechs would be able to follow if their tech & laborer caste field support was following in their wake.  So it means a Trinary nipping at the mercs & armor as they fall back and another star repairing armor to get back in the fight.

Garg A got a heavy & 2 med kills
Garg C got 2 med kills
TWolf A got a heavy & 2 med kills
TWolf C got 2 heavy kills
Nova S got a med kill
Elemental point got a solo kill- a TAC for a double gyro
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Re-reading Bred for War in the wake of the Clan Invasion KS . . . and I did the math up about Morges for the Refusal War.

The Falcons brought the Peregrine & Omicron Galaxies, which were 5 frontline, 5 garrison and 1 solahma clusters.  Just giving the 10 clusters regular organization and the solahma a bit weaker we end up with . . . 480 mechwarriors, 340 pilots, and 800 Elementals (figure solahma two mech trinaries, aero & Elemental binaries) are wiped out or taken bondsmen by the Warden Wolves or Hounds since not a single Falcon dropship left the planet.  Due to conditions on the planet, go with a 10% survival/capture rate (Elementals would be higher IMO b/c armor protection) and we get 48 mechwarriors, 34 pilots and 80 Elementals- enough survivors to form a cluster with a bit left over.

Its also a sixth of the estimate 60 clusters the Falcons had going into Operation Revival.

The few numbers given in the book also hammer home how many Wolf clusters dropped into a black hole.  Ulric's spearhead had 5 frontline clusters of 'Delta' and the 5 of Tau- by Wotan he was supposed to have 3 frontline clusters reinforced with select Tau warriors and two remaining Tau clusters.  Roughly 50% losses in the two months of the Refusal War against the Falcons, a faster operational tempo than Revival with no re-supply from the Homeworlds.  Wounded would be unable to recover in time to rejoin their units and mechs were put back together from salvage.  Natasha's spearhead had 5 frontline clusters of 'Alpha' under her and 5 frontline clusters of 'Beta' under Phelan- no secondline galaxy and Gamma is never mentioned.  However Gamma Galaxy's clusters are seeded into the 3 frontline galaxies engaged in the spearheads.  The only other mention is Omega Galaxy (5 clusters) sent from the Homeworlds into the Lyran zone . . . which easily leaves out 26 of the clusters garrisoning the OZ, Epsilon from the Invasion, and any other forces in the Homeworlds.  And Tau (5 clusters) Galaxy was formed after we get those numbers.

So irrespective of forces engaged in the JFOZ for the Refusal War the Wolf Clan had 30+ clusters left in the OZ and unknown in the Homeworlds.  By FMCC, the Crusader Wolves had 32 clusters (w/o keshiks) of which 14 are frontline.  Drop the Alpha and Gamma remnants that went to Phelan and you have the 5 clusters on Wotan that Vlad ended up with most of the survivors- give it 50% survivors to be generous to the Falcons even though that was not the loss rate in warriors.  So the Jade Wolves start off with 32.5+ clusters in the OZ and unknown in the Homeworlds . . . We know that at least 5 clusters had been stationed in the Homeworlds before (Omega) and that no Clan stripped their Homeworld assets to put troops in the IS- use the Jags as an example, they had two galaxies in the Homeworlds and that seemed to be the standard with all the other Invaders- two galaxies as garrison and rotate frontline clusters or keshiks when Khans were on Strana Mechty.  Which would mean at least Wolf garrison galaxy of 5 clusters . . . so 37.5+ clusters (w/o keshiks)- so Harvest trials, retesting failures, and bulking with vehicles added to the Crusader Wolves to bring them 'up' to 32 clusters?

The Warden Wolves had 5 clusters on Arc Royal.  Be generous to the Falcons and give Phelan's forces on Morges 50% losses . . . 2.5 clusters then move to Arc Royal.  On Wotan Ulric landed with effectively 6 frontline clusters and 2 secondline Tau clusters.  Survivors of Natasha's spearhead (3 clusters landed) were led off by Marco Hall to join Phelan- while it was more than this, say its 1.5 clusters.  Later more Gamma Galaxy survivors (Bronze Keshik, 7th & 11th Battle- most of 7th with Vlad) joined Phelan.  Gamma would be the 5th frontline clusters assigned to Alpha/Beta/Delta IMO- for example Phelan had the 16th Battle as part of Beta.  While not reflected in Bred for War beyond a single line, the Silver Keshik was reinforced to bring it up to a weak cluster in strength for the Refusal War.  Phelan should have had 5+ (6?) frontline clusters, 5 secondline clusters and 3 keshiks even accounting for losses, instead the Wardens end up with 10 understrength clusters and two normal keshiks.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Natasha's 13th Wolf Guards drove off League raiders . . . a pair of elite Inner Sphere Awesome 8Qs, Warhammer 7M, Hercules and pair of Spiders ran into the grinder of her Dire Wolf Widowmaker, Timber Wolf C, Mist Lynx C, Elemental (L), and two infantry points.  While Natasha put out some hurt (connected with the UAC/20 at 8 hexes three times, whiff on the Ultra attempt) and seemed to be pulling the teeth on the Leaguers, it was the Elemental point that were the stars . . . ignored until they opened fire, one trooper gained the Star Colonel's attention by putting his small laser blast on the Herc's head which contributed to the mech falling over in the first exchange.  Next time they fired, the same trooper put one in the Warhammer's head though that pilot stayed awake.  When they closed with a damaged Awesome (Natasha had slagged its arm PPC), he led the point in blowing off the Awesome's leg causing it to fall.  After a turn tagging a leaping Spider (center mass hit), they fired on the crippled Awesome that had stood up again (it could make those TN 10 rolls) hitting the mech in the remaining leg's structure . . . and blowing THAT leg off.

While most of the Inner Sphere mechs were crippled (and lucky to keep hitting the same torso location on the Wolves, seriously both DW & TW had 1 location close to breech and another untouched) a Spider did slow down to try to cripple the Timber Wolf . . . right in front of Natasha.  The Ultra AC/20 shot punched through the center of the mech wrecking the engine & gyro before careening off through the woods to nearly hit the Warhammer!  The Trial ended with a sleeping Hercules pilot (5 hits), legless and missing a arm Awesome 8Q, armless Warhammer 7M, armor burned Spider, pile of Spider parts, and a barely hit Awesome 8Q facing Natasha's Dire Wolf with a nearly open CT, Timber Wolf C open RT, and the LA arm missing on a Mist Lynx.  Victory for the Wolves even with time running out.

Elemental Bronson of the Morans definitely caught the Khan's attention with his performance.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Our Agent posted photos, this as seen from the League side- the Spector was standing in for my Mist Lynx.

And the turn or two before as the Leaguers crossed the river.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Natasha is going to face the Dragoons on Sunday . . .

Based on Watch reports, this is what is expected to touch down in the dropship.
Gallowglas 1
Archer- either 4M or 5R
Hoplite- expect it to be the Royal
Ice Ferret
Phoenix Hawk- 1, -1D or -3M
Spider 5V/Venom 9K

A lot of armor for my two mechs to burn through, but on the upside the Hoplite and Gallowglas carry their ranged weapons in the arms.  The Spider/Venom will have to get close to do anything- if I keep the Timber Wolf and Mist Lynx in closer, the Large Pulse will quickly cripple either design.  It will also let the ECM protect the two heavier designs.  Ice Ferret will be tricky since had has used the D, H & IIRC the Prime before and it has the armor to take multiple ERPPC/LPL hits.

I am actually thinking of dumping a ton of the UAC/20 ammo off the Dire Wolf Widowmaker.  Maybe half or more of the AMS ammo, since in three hours its hard to see me taking more than 6-8 turns of LRM fire.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Turned out to be a tight fight for the Wolf Clan, the Dragoons attempts at finesse kept getting swatted by Natasha.

A Locust 1E running around a building managed to avoid her Ultra 20 shot, but caught a ERPPC, pair of Large Pulse but avoided the ER Med . . . which ended up a pile of parts since the ERPPC and a LPL went through the left torso then center.  Another Dragoon in a Wolverine 7M tried to race down the side of the battlefield but was not able to avoid as much as the Locust . . . Ultra 20, Large Pulse and ER Med created 3 crit chances for a total of 5 crits . . . ERML, Engine, Gyro, Engine, Engine- salvage for the garrison clusters!  Unfortunately most the damage Natasha took was a ML to the head from the Locust and a SRM from the Wolverine . . . kept her from charging forward as much with all that untouched armor.

Left the fight up to the Timber Wolf which towards the end was battered (CT open, gyro & engine crits, UAC/5 jammed-1st time in 8 battles-, ERLL arm upper crit, head hit, 2 pilot damage) but the Hoplite C was on the ground near it, overheated (moving 2/3) and the Venom 9K that had raced up lost a arm, side torso stripped, both legs stripped, and MPL crit putting it in forced withdraw . . . and the enemy commander in the Gallowglas had taken heavy damage the one time it squared off with Natasha- most the armor gone & internal on ERPPC arm- which caused it to fade into the background.  A Phoenix Hawk 3M had also lost one arm- melted off by Natasha's pulse lasers.

Unfortunately the Elementals were total whiffs this time.

Wolf Clan victorious- Locust 1E & Wolverine 7M killed, Venom crippled, and first blood vs a crippled Timber Wolf C . . . time ran out, and while they may have been able to get the Timber Wolf the next turn Natasha would have killed the Hoplite C that was on the ground.

Wolf Dragoons-
Gallowglas 1
Wolverine 7M
Hoplite C
Phoenix Hawk 3M
Locust 1E
Venom 9K
Commando 3A

veteran gunners w/regular pilot skills for the most part
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Tau Galaxy and its clusters were in development going into the Refusal War, then had a big shuffle as Nat/Phelan/Ulric transferred some of the most die-hard elite Crusaders from the frontline galaxies to Tau before the first battle.

During the formation of the five clusters of Tau, if a star of mostly freebirths were attached what do you think of them using . . .

Lupus Omni
Royal Champion
Spartan NF mod using some prototype Clan weapon refits
Clint IIC
and think Royal Crab or Kintaro (really wish the Kintaro was in the KS ComStar packs)
Colt Ward

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Well, some Coyotes did leave the Homeworlds to join the Crusader Wolves.  But you can get the Coyote dice & coin as add-on even if your faction pack is Wolf.
i'm going pure Coyote for mine. though i am curious whether those Coyotes that joined the wolves got spread around the clan after or if you wound up with some units with coyote-ish traditions in the Touman.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
I think those that survived were used to replace losses, but I am not totally sure.  The Wolves already had their exchanges with the Coyotes over things like the McKibben bloodname even before the Reaving.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Well, a test run of the freebirth star . . . turned out badly for the Falcons.

Using random forces from a PGC of Clan regular pilots for the Falcons-
Timber Wolf Prime (4/6)- engine death
Jenner IIC (3/6) fled
Hussar 200Db (4/4)
Talon 5W (4/5)
Hellhound (3/5)
Shadow Hawk IIC (3/6) KIA
Marauder 2R (4/5)- blown apart unfortunately after losing sides, wished it could be salvaged
Blackjack 1 (3/5) KIA after ejecting
Black Knight 6b (4/4) KIA- headshot
Cestus 6Y (3/6) KIA & engine death

The Lupus lost a side torso & leg causing the Star Commander to punch out . . . rest was mostly armor damage with some getting internal though the Spartan had its RT wrecked (thank God it was using a spare Gargoyle engine) so the RA fell off.  But Timber Wolf Prime, Royal Black Knight, Cestus, Blackjack, and parts salvaged work out pretty well . . . rather than rebuilding the Lupus immediately, the Star Commander gets the Timber Wolf as isorla.  The Black Knight and Cestus were passed to other Tau clusters to replace losses though the Lupus was kept to be rebuilt as the cluster's techs had time.  Unsurprisingly, no Falcons were taken as bondsmen on Evciler from the 9th PGC the survivors were left to find their way back to their own lines as the Wolf forces lifted for the next target.

Roster moving forward-
Timber Wolf Prime- Star Commander Tyrell of the Winsons (3/4)
Spartan NF- MW Harrison (2/3), 2 kills
Champion 1Nb- MW Arondel (2/4 + 1SPA), 3 kills
Kintaro 19b- MW Athena of the Winsons (2/4), 2 kills
Clint IIC- MW Quantrel (2/4), 2 kills

Unfortunately, no Clan Gauss Rifles or ER PPCs were salvaged off the battlefield but the Conjurer does give up a pair of ERMLs for the Kintaro while the Shadow Hawk IIC provides a pair of Clan Med Pulse to replace 2 of the IS models on the Spartan's severed right arm.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Going back to Icar . . . I selected the 4th Wolf Guard's Supernova Trinary First, which is effectively a binary w/2 novas bid, and the command star from Trinary Assault which gives me 15 mechs and 50 Elementals with around 85k BV on randomly rolled elite pilots.  I actually got more veteran rated pilots than WCSB listed, but after 2 years of combat it would make sense why more became elite by Tukayyid.

Against this, following WCSB/ER3052/CMMercs, I pulled in 3rd of the 12th Star Guard's 1st Battalion, regimental command lance w/scouts, and a company of militia armor with the mech forces being rated as veterans with a low level of upgraded equipment.  The 3/12th Star Guards have no light mechs, so its a LOT assaults compared to other IS units which means 40 mechs and 16 vehicles for nearly 126k BV . . . all on either a 4 wide by 6 tall or 6x6 BT maps.  Not sure if the 4x6 will be too cluttered or if I go up to 6x6 it gets too cluttered with the current or event later forces.

The ratio was 1 Clan star to 1 IS mech company per ER3052 though I gave them a bit more with the regimental command lance.  The same book also says 1 star of Elementals to a lance of vehicles, but with the skill disparity and to get actual formations in I felt the company of armor was more appropriate.  So yeah the Clan force is outnumbered & out BV'd . . . the Wolves will get to concentrate their forces and decide where they cross the chasm wall into the canyon that is Pofadder's Gully while the Star Guard will be spreading the battalion along a 6 BT map front to meet the invaders where they appear.  Assault heavy Alpha Company will be holding the center of the line which allows the faster wings to respond to reinforce at the point of contact.  The Command Lance, scouts and armor company will be off the line in a central reserve.

Now, that is the force list so far . . . I COULD throw in the two other novas (again, HAD to be Elemental losses vs the other BN) which gets another two companies of mechs and a company of armor- but see the above about being too cluttered.  Guess that is a question . . .
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns

Since the SIC troops are hiding behind buildings, the Wolves are circling picking at the weaklings . . . this turn Natasha unleashed her UAC/20 in single mode along with ERPPC, ERML & both LPL on the Awesome.  So will the Mist Lynx, Timberwolf and Elementals.  Next turn that Blackjack OC is about to walk towards Natasha after she walks forward.  The Mist Lynx (Calliope proxy) is going to run around behind the DD, mech LRM Infantry points will go behind the building, and the Timber Wolf will run forward.

Natasha's view after she dropped that Blackjack OC that had moved up . . . her right arm is in some trouble but that Awesome is going to get out from behind Dunkin Donuts . . . when you need a 7 at 11 hexes for a UAC/20 that has ammo in a unarmored location . . . yeah, its double tap time.  This turn the Banshee/Cyclops will take some shots in the back from the Calliope/Mist Lynx C, Timber Wolf (out of view to the right) will fire at the Awesome along with the 2nd flight of Elemental SRMs, and I think Natasha is going to also try for the Banshee/Cyclops and maybe the other Panther.

Well, the way things have worked out, I will be facing this force again . . . Awesome 8Q, Cyclops 11B, Cataphract, Blackjack OC and a pair of Panther 8Rs.  We will see if he comes at me a bit more which was my tip last time- charge the Clan forces!  We will see what the maps look like, but that BJ-OC is a very tempting target to remove the double shotguns quickly.

Edit- fixed what I said, lol
« Last Edit: 06 November 2019, 21:42:53 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward

SteveRestless

• Major
that is one heavily contested donut shack.

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
Probably the only one that survived the Succession Wars.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Probably the only one that survived the Succession Wars.
Dunkin' Donuts, like Starbucks (but to a much lesser degree), self proliferate. This means they will exist forever.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
Unfortunately I do have it on good authority that Taco Bell was the only fast food joint to make it out the other side of the franchise conflicts during the 1st Succession War.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Unfortunately I do have it on good authority that Taco Bell was the only fast food joint to make it out the other side of the franchise conflicts during the 1st Succession War.

Zeus Burger is clearly proof that you are wrong.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Well, Natasha's targeting computer took a bit to warm up (Need 4; Roll 3) but my opponent kept his forces hanging back, trying to snipe back with PPCs rather than rushing forward to bury me in armor & numbers.  Popped the BJ-OC after 2 or 3 turns of fire, ripped the right side of the Cataphract off- all 3 crits hit the AC/10- and for irony, the LRM15 that fired Swarms ended up missing the Blackjack and would have killed it a turn earlier ended up hitting the Panther that jumped next to it (Need 11; Roll 12) . . . then rolled high for missiles to hit, 12 total.
Colt Ward

Register