Author Topic: Chaos Campaign for Alpha Strike  (Read 4585 times)

Kharn01

• Private
Chaos Campaign for Alpha Strike
« on: 25 August 2019, 01:27:54 »
Hi,

I asked twice in the Kickstarter.

Is there a chance to get the Chaos Campaign (with the Warchest Point system) Rules for Alpha Strike? Or convertion rules or something?

I would like to play those campaignes like in the Era Report 3052 or the coming Chaos Campaign: Battle of Tukayyid but with Alpha Strike rules. 

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Chaos Campaign for Alpha Strike
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2019, 15:35:49 »
they basically are the campaign rules found in the original Alpha Strike Rulebook, pg114. has an entire Chaos Campaign set, including missions and how to use them.

and the Alpha Strike Companion on pg168 has "Expanded Repair and Salvage Rules". that gives a more detailed 'support points' system for repair and salvage if players would prefer it.

i take it these were not included in the Commander's Edition?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2019, 15:48:20 »
The Chaos Campaign Succession Wars free PDF has the Chaos Campaign rules for Alpha Strike.  That version was written to work for both Total warfare and Alpha strike. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Kharn01

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2019, 03:30:35 »
The Chaos Campaign Succession Wars free PDF has the Chaos Campaign rules for Alpha Strike.  That version was written to work for both Total warfare and Alpha strike. 
The pdf don't mention Alpha Strike at all and especially not in case of Pilots, Ammunition etc. in Alpha Strike.

they basically are the campaign rules found in the original Alpha Strike Rulebook, pg114. has an entire Chaos Campaign set, including missions and how to use them.

and the Alpha Strike Companion on pg168 has "Expanded Repair and Salvage Rules". that gives a more detailed 'support points' system for repair and salvage if players would prefer it.

i take it these were not included in the Commander's Edition?
Thanks.

Yeap the campaign rules are not in the Commander's Edition  :-\

I thought the Commander's Edition replaces the older ones.

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
  • Alpha Strike Apologist
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2019, 10:15:59 »

I've seen this said before, but unless there's some gymnastics made in how the Support Points work, I don't get how. The only thing I see in the PDF about AS explicitly is the mention of the MUL in the back.

If it was said 'the tracts are compatible with Alpha Strike', that's definitely true, but there's no support for rules regarding the use of support points, recommended force sizes.

If I'm wrong, please throw the rules at me, because I'm still using the original AS rules.

I thought the Commander's Edition replaces the older ones.

CE Updated old rules and added some new ones, but has never been claimed to be a complete replacement.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2019, 10:21:07 »
Ammo is on p30. Alternate munitions would be advanced/experimental.
Hiring new Mechwarriors, etc is on p31.
Skill is on p31, you do have to figure out if you want to use just gunnery or gunnery+piloting as Skill for AS.  (suggest G+P to keep the skill raises at the same time).

No, it doesn't mention AS. But it no longer has to have different armor/internal/crit repair costs, which was most of the differences.

Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
  • Alpha Strike Apologist
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2019, 12:37:10 »
Okay, gotcha. I can see how that support point table ties in. Because AS wasn't explicitly listed at any time in the book, it was hard for me to understand that this was intentional. I'm also seeing some minor cross referencing with other sources to get unit tonnages are necessary (it wouldn't be BT if you didn't have to have at least 3 sources to check for what should be easy rules, though, lol). And the lack of explicit rules for how to handle skill upgrades in AS is a little obnoxious, but it's still workeable. Thanks.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2019, 12:44:20 »
I'm not sure what all is intentional or not.  Part of the left hand not talking to the left hand.  I knew they were releasing a free, new version of the Chaos Campaign, and I thought it would cover AS, so I didn't put an older version of it in the ASCE rulebook. I got a chance to review CCSW, but I didn't have time to a long sit down with it (personal reasons, not CGL reasons).

I'll see about clearing that up for CC:Tukayyid.

MyndkryM

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2019, 20:36:58 »
I'm not sure what all is intentional or not.  Part of the left hand not talking to the left hand.  I knew they were releasing a free, new version of the Chaos Campaign, and I thought it would cover AS, so I didn't put an older version of it in the ASCE rulebook. I got a chance to review CCSW, but I didn't have time to a long sit down with it (personal reasons, not CGL reasons).

I'll see about clearing that up for CC:Tukayyid.

The original AS has a pretty nice simple chart on pg. 120. Any chance of adding that to the official errata for ASCE? Maybe as a free download?
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2019, 06:50:37 »
Is there anything else missing from the Chaos Campaign needed for Alpha Strike?

Alpha Strike Specific Chaos Campaign
In general players using Alpha Strike rules use the Chaos Campaign rules, but there are a few additions to cover situations for Alpha Strike.

Skill Advancement
Alpha Strike uses a single Skill rather than split Piloting and Gunnery. Alpha Strike Skill Advancement cost is the total of increasing Piloting and Gunnery one each (350 SP).

Ammunition
With the exception of units with the ENE ability, any unit that participated in a scenario needs to rearm to maintain its full combat strength. Alpha Strike units cost a base 10 SP to re-arm.  Any weapon based special abilities (ART, BOMB, FLK, HT, IF, LRM, MSL, SRM, TOR, etc.), or any special ability that involve equipment in need of ammunition (AMS, C3RS, MDS, any NARC ability, RSD, etc.) requires an additional 5 SP for each special ability to re-arm. Any unit that wants access to Alternate Munitions must pay the experimental ammunition SP reload cost (50 SP) per alternate munition type you give it access to.
A unit that has not rearmed reduces the damage dealt by its weapon attacks (but not its physical attacks) by 1 at all range brackets. If the special ability re-arm cost is not paid, the  unit cannot use that special ability. Aerospace Fighters with ENE must pay the special ability re-arm cost for their BOMB special ability or cannot use their BOMB special ability, but are otherwise unaffected.

Salvage
A unit that has had all of its armor and structure bubbles marked off in gameplay is considered destroyed for tactical purposes, but for most such units there remains a chance that the remains can be salvaged and repaired later. Depending on the specific track rules, salvage may be possible by whichever side won the previous track.
When salvage is allowed between tracks, any unit that has been completely marked off by damage will receive a chance to be salvaged unless it is a conventional infantry unit (of any kind), an aerospace unit that crashed, or any unit type that had its last points of armor or structure marked off due to artillery or bomb damage.
For each marked-off unit that may be salvaged, the side that won the track rolls 2D6. On a result of 9 or higher, the destroyed unit is salvageable, and may be repaired using SP, or scrapped for half its normal selling price (see Selling, below). If the roll is 8 or less, the destroyed unit is too far gone to be of any use.

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
  • Alpha Strike Apologist
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2019, 09:17:05 »
For hiring MechWarriors, those would come in at skill 4, right? I don't think that's explicitly said.

Would the Damage for Battlefield Support minefields need to  be defined, too, or would that just rely on referencing the AS rules damage for minefields?

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
« Reply #11 on: 19 October 2019, 19:31:56 »
Perhaps adding an exponential cost to skill improvement? the more veteran your pilot, it becomes more expensive to increase its skill level.
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
  • Alpha Strike Apologist
« Reply #12 on: 19 October 2019, 19:50:38 »
Perhaps adding an exponential cost to skill improvement? the more veteran your pilot, it becomes more expensive to increase its skill level.

All of this is already covered in other books (In this case, the original Alpha Strike sourcebook). It's just not something that's defined outright in the CC:Succession Wars book, which, I think right now we're looking for what items are necessary to make the CC:SW book compatible with AS.

Register