Author Topic: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread  (Read 170177 times)

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
Re: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread
« Reply #420 on: 28 October 2013, 21:22:46 »
Besides a ship dropship for asteroid mining could serve not only Nyops , but finding buyers in both the Marian Hegemony and beyond, I think that both ATC , as Marian Arms have their own subsidiaries in charge of mining and mining I can assure you asteroidal is something they do and seek to expand , following the edicts of extension of exploitation of the late Cesar Cassius

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #421 on: 29 October 2013, 09:41:05 »
Perhaps Niops is focusing on infantry and armor because they have no other choice financially and industrially? They are a 3-planet system and their meager income does have to feed all those mouths. Military budgets have never taken up the majority slice of a country's budget, and Niops wasn't that militaristic to begin with.

That said, what was the production rate of the Nighthawks like when Niops was building them in the 3060s? Was a total force strength of the armors given in an SB?

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #422 on: 29 October 2013, 09:51:33 »
It would be interesting to Nyops first focalize on what more can be produced,  armor  and Battlearmor, the DropShip for commercial operation of mining Nyops can serve both for export and export as extra income is money. As I said above again, the Government of Nyops would have to open the possibility to migrate to other states in the periphery to the mass population that complicates life. The problem is if the technicians want to migrate for a job offer better pay.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #423 on: 29 October 2013, 09:53:41 »
That's a real possibility. Look at the Taurians and their post-Jihad brain drain. Niops had it the same or worse as the Taurians, and could've experienced their own brain drain.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #424 on: 29 October 2013, 10:02:08 »
It is possible, could agree with the Marian Hegemony or whoever it a controlled immigration (and incidentally the Marian Hegemony sends them to establish colonies along with other citizens of the Hegemony ) , in terms of technical flee a way that would not agree with peripheral nations scientific exchange program so the technicians and scientists from Nyops see other things and when returning home may apply . the risk that is great if , but only Nyops is going to look to Cuba at any time Marian  Hegemony and  Rim Comonality and we will look Miami or the Florida Keys receive refugees escaped

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #425 on: 29 October 2013, 10:07:33 »
The Hegemony would benefit from this kind of program far more than Niops though...it's like the refugee Byzantine scholars helping to start the Renaissance when they fled to Italy after the Fall of Constantinople.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #426 on: 29 October 2013, 10:15:55 »
The Hegemony would benefit from this kind of program far more than Niops though...it's like the refugee Byzantine scholars helping to start the Renaissance when they fled to Italy after the Fall of Constantinople.

It's a possibility, maybe both Nyops as Marian Hegemony or another state will benefit from this exchange but Nyops would receive in exchange decompression some social and some autochthonous production lines for defense

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #427 on: 29 October 2013, 10:59:58 »
But it also depends on the nature of IE's relationship with Niops. If it's some kind of corporate state like Irian, I doubt those scholars want to go back to an exploited home and I don't know if IE will accept Marian aid to Niops.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #428 on: 29 October 2013, 11:10:15 »
But it also depends on the nature of IE's relationship with Niops. If it's some kind of corporate state like Irian, I doubt those scholars want to go back to an exploited home and I don't know if IE will accept Marian aid to Niops.

That is another issue IE friendship never showed any by Marian Hegemony could curry favor with the Marians bringing a pair of coordinates systems that are not busy living near our borders, but we dodge ostensibly have a base in New St Andrews and one in Nyops. Bone could be more easily easily spare the Marian Hegemony, but seems to want to exploit small states

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #429 on: 29 October 2013, 11:48:57 »

Considering the Niops brain drain would have most likely been caused by the Marian raiding and looting of the Niops V Workshop (where the Nighthawk was produced), along with the capture of personnel there... after which the Marianas began producing the Ravaged, their first homegrown battlearmor design?

Personally, it makes little sense to me for Niops to want to get buddy-buddy with a nation that looted them and took their citizens for slaves.

Perhaps Niops is focusing on infantry and armor because they have no other choice financially and industrially? They are a 3-planet system and their meager income does have to feed all those mouths. Military budgets have never taken up the majority slice of a country's budget, and Niops wasn't that militaristic to begin with.

That said, what was the production rate of the Nighthawks like when Niops was building them in the 3060s? Was a total force strength of the armors given in an SB?

The production rate was never spelled out.  The main mention comes from Tech Readout 3075, which spelled out that they were built in Niops Project Workshop III on Niops V, that they were built out of concern regarding the belligerence of neighboring Periphery states, that they built both the XXI and XXII, and that a "swarm" of Nighthawks took down a Marian Starslayer and caused the rest of the raiders to break and run.

Jihad Hotspots 3072 talks briefly about the raid, and describes the Workshop there as being an automated plant that produced military hardware then stored in warehouses, and that the initial Marian raid was seeking to loot the warehouses.

I've not been able to find the sourcebook detailing the successful follow-up Marian raid, though.  JHS3076 details the Niops Civil War, Field Report Periphery reports the Workshops destroyed, and NAM holding out against the Blakists on Niops V, with Jihad Final Reckoning detailing the damage a bit more.  Don't have time to look farther, though, right now.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #430 on: 29 October 2013, 12:08:30 »
Considering the Niops brain drain would have most likely been caused by the Marian raiding and looting of the Niops V Workshop (where the Nighthawk was produced), along with the capture of personnel there... after which the Marianas began producing the Ravaged, their first homegrown battlearmor design?

Personally, it makes little sense to me for Niops to want to get buddy-buddy with a nation that looted them and took their citizens for slaves.

What the Incursion of 3072 was made by the Legio VI and was where Nyops use in combat for the first time in a significant number of Nighthawk, the Next incursion Marian was passed in 3079 and I think the background of the Ravager says that built a scientist and his team who were looking for work and were refugees from Irian, so I think in that at least we had nothing to do
Even the plant d layback of the Marian Hegemony was half-finished or finished and was a research facility of BattleArmor that had built in Horatius WOB. After his expulsion by Julius the plant remained closed and guarded by the MHAF until Marian Arms Inc and this group of scientists from Irian put to work and built the Ravager and then the Marauder

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #431 on: 29 October 2013, 12:13:04 »
And how does that change the fact that the Marians raided the Workshops on Niops V, looted them, possibly burned down whatever they couldn't move, and grabbed whatever scientists and techs they could find?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #432 on: 29 October 2013, 12:26:18 »
And how does that change the fact that the Marians raided the Workshops on Niops V, looted them, possibly burned down whatever they couldn't move, and grabbed whatever scientists and techs they could find?

Humm that book says that? What I lei from the incursion of 3072 says that took ifnormacion and some equipment but not people, what you mention this not will have been WOB? When and make the next incursion MHAF had no defenses and plundered there if that consciousness, has been almost 60 or 65 years of that incursion to the current timeline, if the Marian Hegemony change of attitude to some of its neighbors not Nyops could also think? After all I think there are also Nyops students in the new Collegium  bellorum

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #433 on: 29 October 2013, 13:02:53 »
Humm that book says that? What I lei from the incursion of 3072 says that took ifnormacion and some equipment but not people, what you mention this not will have been WOB? When and make the next incursion MHAF had no defenses and plundered there if that consciousness, has been almost 60 or 65 years of that incursion to the current timeline, if the Marian Hegemony change of attitude to some of its neighbors not Nyops could also think? After all I think there are also Nyops students in the new Collegium  bellorum

Jihad Final Reckoning, page 57.  Exact date was August 19, 3077.

And, given that Niops has protesters outside the unstaffed Republic embassy, and are paranoid about their
FWL*, why in the name of Cthulhu would they be any less paranoid about the Marians?  Isolationism and paranoia is the name of the game in Niops these days, and I suspect the only reason Interstellar Expeditions is tolerated is because they're a scientific-minded non-governmental organization, and thus the lesser of all evils.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #434 on: 29 October 2013, 15:40:33 »
Jihad Final Reckoning, page 57.  Exact date was August 19, 3077.

And, given that Niops has protesters outside the unstaffed Republic embassy, and are paranoid about their
FWL*, why in the name of Cthulhu would they be any less paranoid about the Marians?  Isolationism and paranoia is the name of the game in Niops these days, and I suspect the only reason Interstellar Expeditions is tolerated is because they're a scientific-minded non-governmental organization, and thus the lesser of all evils.

As you put that is in 3077, I wonder if in 3145 famine, internal revolts and the lack of prospects have made them more open-minded

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #435 on: 29 October 2013, 17:11:33 »
As you put that is in 3077, I wonder if in 3145 famine, internal revolts and the lack of prospects have made them more open-minded

Actually, Niops being unwelcoming to outsiders, and protesting outside the Republic embassy, the only actual embassy in the Niops Association, is as late as 3145, per page 187 of Field Manual 3145.  The most contact with outsiders is clearly stated to be Interstellar Expeditions.

The only mention of relations between the Niops Association and the Marian Hegemony as of 3145 is that Niops must import military hardware from the Marians, Lyrans and former FWL states.  Given that Niops is simultaneously paranoid about an FWL invasion, that does not indicate that Niops has good, peaceful relations with either the Marians or the FWL states.

Further, there is no mention of Niops Association citizens at the Marian academy.  Instead, there is emphasis on Niops opening the Central Military School on Niops VII.

In fact, to quote page 199 of Field Manual 3145:

The NAM has seen little growth or change in its BattleMech forces since the end of the Jihad. With the failure of the Niops central government, and the predations of the Marian Hegemony, any combat experience gained by the Association’s Militia was lost through sheer attrition. The one bright spot in an otherwise bleak recent history has been the formal addition of infantry forces to the NAM in both unarmored and battle armor alike. The NAM currently has four squads of the ancient Nighthawk Mk XXI power armor— representing all of the suits left in active service today. These assets are used exclusively to protect the government facilities on  Niops VII.

I don't see how that situation would make anyone in the Niops Association feel warm and fuzzy towards the Marian Hegemony.  Feel heartburn?  Sure.  Warm and fuzzy?  Doubt it.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #436 on: 29 October 2013, 17:18:50 »
Actually, Niops being unwelcoming to outsiders, and protesting outside the Republic embassy, the only actual embassy in the Niops Association, is as late as 3145, per page 187 of Field Manual 3145.  The most contact with outsiders is clearly stated to be Interstellar Expeditions.

The only mention of relations between the Niops Association and the Marian Hegemony as of 3145 is that Niops must import military hardware from the Marians, Lyrans and former FWL states.  Given that Niops is simultaneously paranoid about an FWL invasion, that does not indicate that Niops has good, peaceful relations with either the Marians or the FWL states.

Further, there is no mention of Niops Association citizens at the Marian academy.  Instead, there is emphasis on Niops opening the Central Military School on Niops VII.

In fact, to quote page 199 of Field Manual 3145:

I don't see how that situation would make anyone in the Niops Association feel warm and fuzzy towards the Marian Hegemony.  Feel heartburn?  Sure.  Warm and fuzzy?  Doubt it.

Well, well the move to the isolated Stay right category and join pieces when it explodes all for the social situation, and continue selling them what they want to buy clear

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #437 on: 29 October 2013, 17:25:13 »
...huh?

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #438 on: 29 October 2013, 17:27:31 »
One way to say, leave them alone with their problems, if they want to purchase something while there is no problem with having to pay

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #439 on: 29 October 2013, 17:29:27 »
Ah.  At this point, for the most part, being left alone would probably suit Niops just fine.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #440 on: 29 October 2013, 17:37:43 »
I doubt if left alone too strategic position, if at least nyops sell us the location of some system living near our border into the deep periphery, perhaps the Marian Hegemony government could talk to the ATC, now they are on a expansion throughout the area maybe want to put a factory there

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #441 on: 30 October 2013, 09:26:32 »
I got the impression that the Marian Battle Armor program got its start because of the Irian refugees. Looting the warehouses and making off with Nighthawks is one thing, but as pointed out the Nighthawk factory was automated so any captive techs or scientists would be of little use. The most important point is the Nighthawk is a PA(L) with cutting edge armor on the lowest end of the weight classes while what eventually emerged from the Marian effort was a basic armor on the heaviest end of the weight class with none of the features of a Nighthawk.

I seriously doubt the Marians actually gained any know-how from the raid.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #442 on: 30 October 2013, 09:32:55 »
It's what I was commenting, armor developed by the Marian Hegemony in Horatius are Assault and Heavy armor, nothing as stylized as the Nighthawk, recently in the years of 3099 onwards we will see if they do something like the ATC in Illyria but I think I own designs anything that comes from the Raid

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #443 on: 30 October 2013, 09:51:03 »
Sorry, should have quoted your post. Yup, agreed.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #444 on: 30 October 2013, 10:08:38 »
I got the impression that the Marian Battle Armor program got its start because of the Irian refugees. Looting the warehouses and making off with Nighthawks is one thing, but as pointed out the Nighthawk factory was automated so any captive techs or scientists would be of little use. The most important point is the Nighthawk is a PA(L) with cutting edge armor on the lowest end of the weight classes while what eventually emerged from the Marian effort was a basic armor on the heaviest end of the weight class with none of the features of a Nighthawk.

I seriously doubt the Marians actually gained any know-how from the raid.

I can see that.

That said, I still can't see Niops being terribly friendly towards the Marians.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #445 on: 30 October 2013, 10:32:54 »
Sorry, should have quoted your post. Yup, agreed.

No problem you do not get angry for not being cited jajajajaajaj

I can see that.

Neither reason nor too permanent than a "little" more friendly, isolation apart from nature

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #446 on: 30 October 2013, 10:53:31 »
I can see that.

It's still a step up compared to the hostility towards Leaguers.

No problem you do not get angry for not being cited jajajajaajaj

Great O0

Neither reason nor too permanent than a "little" more friendly, isolation apart from nature

Agreed. If one has been isolated for so long, they can't help but being xenophobic towards others, especially after suffering many raids from the Hegemony. Still, the trade ties should smooth relations somewhat

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #447 on: 30 October 2013, 12:44:55 »
Xenophobia is probably higher than it's been in centuries in Niops these days.  Acts of violence towards FWL refugees back in the 3080s is a good sign of that, as are the protests outside the Republic embassy.

But, no, it also isn't surprising.  Other than the occasional raid attempt by dump pirates or bandits that undoubtedly ended horribly, Niops' history had been relatively peaceful.  Even the Capellan refugee absorption was relatively peaceful.

Then you have an influx of FWL refugees, a failed raid by the Marians, a coup attempt backed by a foreign merc unit, a successful Marian raid, a civil war, an invasion and nukings by the Word of Blake, an imposed embassy and attempt (likely) at a banana republic by the Rim Commonality, the Republic deciding to plant an embassy (which may have actually gotten the Rim Commonality to finally leave), and enough unrest during all this that it's nearly 15 years before you have elections again.

Is it any wonder they're paranoid?  Throw in a suspicious shift in Marian policy from raiding and conquoring to "no, really, we want to be your friend" and the FWL getting the band back together...

Actually, know who Niops would probably get along great with?  The Regulans.  Aren't they keeping independent from the nuFWL, and still having their hate on for the Blakists?

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #448 on: 30 October 2013, 12:51:33 »
I can see that.

From what i readed in the FM 3145, Niops is surely the influence and espionage battleground between the new-FWL, the Regulans, Marians and Canopus, all side trying to influence the goverment and hampering the efforts of the others.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #449 on: 30 October 2013, 12:56:08 »
Actually, Niops would not be too friendly towards Lester's crew and rather more to the FWL.  Check the Rim Commonality arc of the last novels.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register