Author Topic: Demo cheat sheets and start-up materials  (Read 3560 times)

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
Demo cheat sheets and start-up materials
« on: 04 June 2011, 11:33:11 »
Back in the day, I used to do a lot of demos for FASA when they were producing Vor: The Maelstrom.  I took the Vor rulebook and condensed everything down to one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper that took the players step by step through a turn.  Do any of you folks have the equivalent for Battletech?  I have some new players I want to teach the game to and rather than re-invent the wheel, I thought I might check with you folks.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Re: Demo cheat sheets and start-up materials
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2011, 11:45:31 »
In the downloads section of classicbattletech.com is the quick start rules. You can find them for both Battletech and Quick strike.
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2011, 11:53:46 »
In the downloads section of classicbattletech.com is the quick start rules. You can find them for both Battletech and Quick strike.

Doh!

I hadn't thought of those!  Good plan!

Any other secrets or shortcuts?
« Last Edit: 06 June 2011, 12:08:48 by M-Rex »

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2011, 12:53:03 »
Some of this is probably a bit obvious, in which case I apologize:

Try to print off/copy a few of the sheets that have the tables most typically used in BT for easy reference.

Try to make sure new players have 'Mechs that are substantially more awesome than yours, then ensure they get to beat the snot out of you. Show them the true horrors of BT in self-depreciating manner. IE, one match I did last week was an Atlas vs. a Cyclops. Another was a Zeus vs. an Awesome (Bit more evenly matched) but that included several turns of the Awesome being shut down due to heat and other shenanigans.

I'd even suggest changing dice results to ensure certain things happen so they can see it, IE, piloting checks fail when they would otherwise succeed, same for shutdown rolls, or critical checks. Naturally with yourself as the victim.

And make sure to get some physical attacks in. They are awesome, and must be shared.

Last piece: try to make sure they don't feel overwhelmed by the # of rules. Make sure they realize that you only have to take on no more rules than you want to deal with, if you've taught them the box set rules, they know 90% of what the game has to offer.
Along those lines, if you know the answer to something that can be found on the tables, just give them that info. The less time spent digging through tables, the better. They can memorize them whenever they want.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Register