Author Topic: Aviation Pictures Part Trois  (Read 194796 times)

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Re: Aviation Pictures Part Trois
« Reply #510 on: 31 January 2018, 23:53:52 »
A little fun with the Top Gun opening credits: https://youtu.be/cCmDa3Dp7l8
I have spoken.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #511 on: 01 February 2018, 16:00:26 »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #512 on: 01 February 2018, 17:20:20 »
It makes it hard to go back and hear the "Ma-ku-ross" theme.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #513 on: 01 February 2018, 19:02:55 »
It makes it hard to go back and hear the "Ma-ku-ross" theme.

You ain't kidding...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #514 on: 01 February 2018, 20:24:14 »
That's the first thing that I've ever seen that made me want to watch anime  ;D
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #515 on: 02 February 2018, 02:03:04 »
At least the show wasn't named after the first choice.  Macbeth.

SaltyDog325

• Recruit
« Reply #516 on: 03 February 2018, 21:45:40 »
I ended up falling in love with this flying lead weight.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #517 on: 04 February 2018, 00:16:09 »
Time for some what if/design sketches/studies. Obviously since few of these even got past the doodling phase, obedience to the laws of physics is sometimes optional...

Hawker Siddeley HS.1202-9: Looking at it, it clearly seems to be a 4th-gen aircraft that was superseded by the Typhoon

BAE P.110. The resemblance to the EAP demonstrator and eventual Typhoon is quite clear

This JASDF FS-X concept before they decided to go with a gold-plated F-16 has almost the exact same configuration with the twin vertical tail canard delta

BAE P.106B Reminds me more than a little of the Gripen except for the cranked delta wing and wings terminating further forward relative to the tail

Vought's mockup of their submission for what became the F-14 before they were eliminated from the competition

Concept art of another Vought design (X-100)

BAE Wharton P.103 tilt engine design is just a reminder that modern V/STOL aircraft are already quite tame from some of the ideas they've had before.

BAE P.1214-3 concept really brings home the bizarre.

Some neat artwork in this NASA document on mockups that were run through their wind tunnels:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19890000646.pdf

Lockheed also had the CL288 design study of which I can't find a good picture of. It's an F-104 with two wing-mounted J-79s because what the F-104 really needed was more engine. I suppose the configuration resembles the Bristol 188 research aircraft with the T-tail and twin wing-mounted engines

« Last Edit: 04 February 2018, 01:14:21 by chanman »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #518 on: 04 February 2018, 00:49:15 »
Lockheed also had the CL288 design study of which I can't find a good picture of. It's an F-104 with two wing-mounted J-79s because what the F-104 really needed was more engine. I suppose the configuration resembles the Bristol 188 research aircraft with the T-tail and twin wing-mounted engines

"Hey Kelly, I think we've killed enough West German pilots." "Ben, hold my beer."
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #519 on: 04 February 2018, 00:53:22 »
This JASDF FS-X concept before they decided to go with a gold-plated F-16 has almost the exact same configuration with the twin vertical tail canard delta

When Anime designers try to build actual planes
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #520 on: 04 February 2018, 01:12:56 »
"Hey Kelly, I think we've killed enough West German pilots." "Ben, hold my beer."

Oh, that's Rich.

The West Germans had a 30% loss rate for F-104s, which... frighteningly isn't unusual. They operated the most aircraft though, so that converts into something like 270 airframes. Canada had the worse attrition rate: 110 airframes for a 46% loss rate.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #521 on: 04 February 2018, 04:15:35 »
I always wondered what the proper level-flight envelope was like for the XFV-12.  All the stuff I've read only focuses on the total failure of the VTOL system, but says nothing about how it might have stood up as a conventional takeoff aircraft and how it handled at altitude.

Anyone ever hear anything?

When Anime designers try to build actual planes
Look for Patlabor 2 for 'doing it right' in that regard.

Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #522 on: 04 February 2018, 06:17:42 »
Great images
The HS 1202-9 looks an awful lot like an F-16

I see just about all of them as aerospace fighters in BattleTech though  :))  (the wackier the better)
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #523 on: 04 February 2018, 07:33:50 »
That Japan update look like this design McDonnell Douglas F-15 STOL/MTD. It had vectored thrust. I guess its where the Canards of the Su-33 and the modifications came from something. The Russians got it, the US didn't.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2018, 07:35:21 by I am Belch II »
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #524 on: 04 February 2018, 09:16:39 »
Concept art of another Vought design (X-100)

Hey! It's the original version of the VF-4 Lightning III from the Macross universe!

Edit: Or at least its prototype, the VF-X-4...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #525 on: 04 February 2018, 10:09:00 »
Edit: talking about the HS.1202-9.  I don't know how I managed to quote the wrong post.

And that is why you don't leave a F-16 and F-18 unattended in the hanger overnight...  :D

In all seriousness, I thought it was a concept for a navalized F-16 until I read the text.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2018, 12:17:29 by hoosierhick »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #526 on: 04 February 2018, 10:36:42 »
Oh, that's Rich.

I cannot think of another industry where I know two generations of chief engineers right off the top of my head. :D

The West Germans had a 30% loss rate for F-104s, which... frighteningly isn't unusual. They operated the most aircraft though, so that converts into something like 270 airframes. Canada had the worse attrition rate: 110 airframes for a 46% loss rate.

Let's be honest: those would be horrifying numbers for missiles, let alone manned aircraft. While I am a big fan of Johnson and Rich's Skunk Works projects, mainline Lockheed was...not the best.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #527 on: 04 February 2018, 10:57:37 »

Hmm...

Familiar.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #528 on: 04 February 2018, 12:33:11 »
I always wondered what the proper level-flight envelope was like for the XFV-12.  All the stuff I've read only focuses on the total failure of the VTOL system, but says nothing about how it might have stood up as a conventional takeoff aircraft and how it handled at altitude.

Anyone ever hear anything?

Wind tunnel tests were promising, which was suprising considering its franken-fighter nature. Looks good, though.

While the liftoff problems were terminal, another issue would have been its low payload. Given the wing undersurfaces were covered in fan ducts & gim-crackery, it could only have managed a minimal weapons load on the fuselage itself - planned to be 4 Sparrows or Sidewinders, plus a 20mm cannon (Vulcan?).

W
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #529 on: 04 February 2018, 12:57:07 »
I was so excited when I was looking for other pictures of the XFV-12, and found one showing it in flight!

...except it turned out it was a CGI mockup of a guy's planned remote-control build. Boo.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #530 on: 04 February 2018, 14:51:04 »
Wind tunnel tests were promising, which was suprising considering its franken-fighter nature. Looks good, though.

While the liftoff problems were terminal, another issue would have been its low payload. Given the wing undersurfaces were covered in fan ducts & gim-crackery, it could only have managed a minimal weapons load on the fuselage itself - planned to be 4 Sparrows or Sidewinders, plus a 20mm cannon (Vulcan?).
Yeah, the lack of ordnance would be a thing, though I wonder how much you could get if you ripped all the ducting out and pulled the VTOL system completely.  Watching a couple video clips of Phantoms lobbing Sparrows though, I'd say it's probably not safe - those low canards would really interfere with any missile fire coming from the wings.  Maybe overwing rails like the Jaguar would work, but that'd be a huge PITA to reload.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #531 on: 05 February 2018, 17:34:02 »

First flight of the Vahana single passenger electric VTOL self-piloted aircraft.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #532 on: 05 February 2018, 18:42:14 »
I always thought this was an odd plane, the B-36 Peacemaker.  Six turbo-prop engines and four jet engines.

My favourite bomber!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #533 on: 07 February 2018, 18:07:07 »
Pictures really don't do justice to how massive those bombers were.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #534 on: 08 February 2018, 13:54:06 »
Pictures really don't do justice to how massive those bombers were.
It is very hard to take a good picture of the B36 in the Air Force Museum. It is just too big. Actually, it is quite easy to take a bad picture of it. It is the background of all the other pictures. The wheels are over 12 feet tall.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #535 on: 08 February 2018, 14:43:42 »
Well, here's a picture of one of the B-36 prototypes next to a B-29.

Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #536 on: 12 February 2018, 15:13:31 »
I have spoken.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #537 on: 12 February 2018, 19:13:56 »
Granddad flew the Peacemaker after the last of the B-24s was retired (in between he was a training officer), and absolutely hated it. He never had an unkind thing to say about the Liberator, and absolutely adored the Stratojet he finished on, but the B-36... he hated that thing in the kind of way that made a little kid who loved airplanes laugh hysterically. He had some good stories- coming home with three props desperately turning on the right side because the three on the left all died in-flight (of different problems, no less!), hangar doors freezing shut on the planes so they couldn't be readied for a sortie... that was a fun one. If you look at the below, you'll see there's a sort of cut-out in the door. The planes were too big to use the hangars previously intended for B-29s sometimes, so you'd have most of it indoors and the tail would stay outside. Well, freezing rain actually froze the doors to the planes, and because this was in Alaska in wintertime pouring hot water on it just refroze before you could get the door open- and the de-icer couldn't make it to the hangar because of the weather. So despite getting a 'wheels up in 20' notice, the squadron had to report back 'nope'.

(Upon seeing a photo a couple of years before he died of a B-36 in a museum, his response was to glance at the photo, roll his eyes, and say "Damn, I hoped they all suffered when they got scrapped. If ever an aircraft deserves to have a molotov lobbed at it...")

"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #538 on: 12 February 2018, 20:37:56 »
Just ask Jack Northrop what his thoughts were on the B 36...and the Navy.  Just discussing the reason for the B 36 adoption would run foul of a few forum rules (mostly politics, hate speech, and swearing).  I think it served its purpose as a deterrent all right.  "If the Americans have enough money to throw at that monstrous waste as a diversion, what are they really hiding?!?!"

"If all engines function normally at full power during the pre-takeoff warm-up, the lead flight engineer will sometimes say to the Aircraft Commander (AC), 'six turning and four burning.'" Erratic reliability led to the wisecrack, 'two turning, two burning, two joking, and two smoking, with two engines not accounted for.'"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #539 on: 12 February 2018, 21:05:17 »
I have to ask: what was the point of mixing props and jets on that thing in the first place?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman