Author Topic: an alternate Elizabeth... (ngoverse tangent, short.)  (Read 22747 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Re: an alternate Elizabeth... (ngoverse tangent, short.)
« Reply #60 on: 02 July 2020, 07:49:40 »

Ahh, but is [size=78%]this the good Kath or the Evil Kath?[/size]
I believe she's the Good Kat from I have seen so far.
As with all such things, it's a matter of prospective.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 02 July 2020, 07:58:08 »

Elizabeth laid a wreath on the coffin, and joined the mourners.  the trip to New Avalon had been hellish for her, and Arthur's fingers found her hand as the holy man droned on about the loss of the First Prince.

she felt more grief at losing Hanse Davion, than she had at the news of her own father's death, or at the news of her mother's suicide.  Not a lot more, but more.

"What do you want to do next?" Arthur asked, as the mourners broke up into groups.

"Work to be done." Elizabeth said quietly,  "But not here, not where...not where they can see." she glanced furtively at the Comstar representative.

this surprised Arthur a little.  "They?" he asked, "but comstar is-"

"collaborating with the enemy, and I think I can explain how so much knowledge is gone." Elizabeth muttered, "Interstellar commerce, interstellar communication, who sees all of it, who is in a position to edit, expunge, and alter it? Comstar.  and i think they have, I know he thought so."

Arthur stopped, "Liz, that's paranoid-"

"We don't even have names for the things we've forgotten." Elizabeth said, "because we've lost so much we don't even know what those things are-I find solutions because the solutions have always been there to be found...but they were cut, expunged, buried, concealed, or destroyed before any of us were even born, you've seen the proofs I pulled out of the Kearney Fuchida equations, the workarounds I had to come up with because those sections aren't there to be taught anymore."

"but you think they were?" he asked.

She nodded subtly, "yes.  it's like...like why can't victor get enough better machines? we have enough raw materials, resources, and manpower that nobody in the whole AFFC should be without a battlemech, it's an artificial bottleneck, Arthur-with the money and capacity we could drown the Clans in soldiers without breaking a sweat, so why can't we?  why don't we have shipyards in every system, and cheap interstellar transport? why are we still fighting each other over the same used up worlds instead of building outward?"  she glanced again at the Precentor New Avalon, and said, "Because of Comstar, I'm certain of it now.  the boot holding us all down, wears a white robe and a smile."

"Work tomorrow, Liz, what do you want to do tonight?" Arthur clarified.

"uhmm..." she didn't know what to say, "What do you wanna do?"

his fingers tightened around hers, "get away from the crowd?" he urged.

"you know why we shouldn't..."

"You're the one who said we should sometimes do things we know we shouldn't."

"Point. Let's ditch the festivities.  just remember, it can't be forever."

"so let's just be in the now." he told her.

"Now sounds good."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #62 on: 02 July 2020, 08:36:23 »
It appears... that something is afoot, between our two heros...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #63 on: 02 July 2020, 10:31:04 »
There is a couple of people Liz and Author really need to get in their corner and on their side. If they do, then they can steam role everyone.
1st is the easiest I think, and that is Milissa, she already respects Liz's intelligence.
2nd is Victor, He will be hard to convince, since based on the story, he has not appeared in story at all yet, so can assume he has not had contact with Liz and will not know her. I believe he is at one of the Schools away from New Avalon.
But once he is convinced, he will be leading the charge and getting things done.
3rd Katherine, knows Liz, knows Liz does not give bad information, maybe strange info, some of it is Out-There in Left Field. But she would be good to be the PR face for the Group along with her mother.
4th Quinton/Justine already knows Comstar is the bod guys. Should be trying to find the persons sabotaging their factories and communications.

"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 02 July 2020, 11:17:58 »
a part of the Royal Palace on New Avalon that the kids think is private...

"Oh..My GOD! ARTHUR!!"

Liz looked up-and didn't have to look up very far.  Prince Victor, standing in the doorway.  she nudged Arthur, "Hey, Your brother's here man."

Arthur looked past her shoulder, blinking, "Hey bro, uh..."

"What are you two doing?" Victor asked, realizing that both teens were fully clothed.

"Um, New Avalon Red leaf, I think." Elizabeth said, "Some wicked shit, I think it might be hothouse."

"You're smoking pot? that's all?"  victor scoffed, and joined them in the darkened room.  "Puff and pass."

"you sure you want some?"

"I'm sure that three people will use it up faster than two." he countered, "Arthur, if you're going to try that scam on mom, you need to buckle your pants first."  He took a hit, "Oh, this is good.  NAIS greenhouse, right?"

"I guess so." Elizabeth said, "It's prescription."

"and you're sharing your medication why, exactly?" Victor asked.

"Because...I'm not supposed to?" Liz confessed.

"wht's it for, anyway?" Victor asked.

"Cholmann's. I've been getting precursor headaches and lingering sensation." Liz admitted.

"Jesus, you're her."

"Liz Ngo, at your service milord." she said, "Need a light?"

"Please.  so how long before you have to transition to the hard stuff?"

Liz accepted the re-lit stic and took a puff, "Doctors say I'll be on hardcore opioids by mid '57, and if my charts stick the way they have been, Neuroin by the age of thirty, just like my infamous ancestor."

"You have it charted?"

she shrugged, "knowing all we know about what's killing me? yeah, I have it charted like I chart my periods, I know about how long I have left to be useful before someone will have to put me down-at least, a rough estimate.  Lets me keep things in perspective, including dating a boy who's going to have to move on because there's no happily-ever-after."

Arthur raised a finger in protest, "Not Yet!!" he said, "We can find a cure!"

she patted Arthur's knee, "So romantic, he's going to make some lucky gal a perfect husband and have perfect kids, a defective like me is just lucky to be able to play until then."

"aren't you at least a little bit afraid?" Victor asked.

"what's the lifespan for a 'mechwarrior on the front lines?" Elizabeth countered, "Fighting the Clanners, what is it? how fast can someone out there die?"

"a few minutes." he conceded, "but we can do things to prevent it. you're going to die horribly, and you know it."

"Yeah.  removes all doubt." Elizabeth stated, "But back to what I was saying-a few minutes, but you do it all the damn time and you're the head of state of a nation of billions.  Lives count on you doing your job and putting aside that knowing you might not come back, right?"

she passed the joint to Arthur, who took his drag on it before offering it to the Archon-Prince.  "But-"

"but nobody can really replace you." Elizabeth added.  "seriously, Kate's cool most of the time, but you're The Archon Prince. Losing you on the front ****** with everyone, if i spaz early and die screaming, the only people it hurts are the people immediately around me-I'm totally more replaceable than you are. I'm ******' disposable.  Art might be sad when I die, but he'll live to get over it. who gets over the death of a national leader, really?  and everyone who knows me knows it's going to happen, if you bite it, it'll be a shock and surprise and tangle everyone in knots."

"What are you trying to say?" Arthur asked.

"Victor, your job isn't in the seat of a Battlemech, you might be one of the best who ever lived, and it's still not there." she said, "It's on the throne, ruling, planning, making strategy and picking winners to carry it out.  Sweden never recovered from the loss of Gustavus Adolphus."

"Weird history quoting, Liz, you're high!"  Arthur groaned.

"Yah...just high." she said, "it's good weed. let's watch some holomovies and three-kay it, okay?"

"rightous..."

Victor was silent, thinking, as the teenagers fumbled with the room's holoplayer.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #65 on: 02 July 2020, 11:43:03 »
Oh ... can we please see a better Victor than we got from the OTL, the "Return of the Fed Suns" and quite a number of other Fanfics? I mean ... with Liz perspective here and making sure that he's got a Ngo around him all the time I'm sure he'd be much better than the rest of all the other versions? 8)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 02 July 2020, 11:51:15 »
Oh ... can we please see a better Victor than we got from the OTL, the "Return of the Fed Suns" and quite a number of other Fanfics? I mean ... with Liz perspective here and making sure that he's got a Ngo around him all the time I'm sure he'd be much better than the rest of all the other versions? 8)

[out of story] Victor has always been, at his core, a decent enough guy.  Seriously, he's a decent dude.  Bad advisors, sure. but he TRIES to do the right thing (even in my stories).

In this case, I angled toward some of his 'understanding subordinates' and deserving loyalty as a person.  How he fares as Archon Prince is kinda still in the air, but the intent is that he REMAINS a decent guy with a 'common touch'.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 02 July 2020, 13:13:39 »
En route back to Tharkad after the funeral...

"New Puzzle for you, Liz."  Victor announced it instead of 'good morning'.

"New?"

"well, not really new. You got started on it back in 3050.  I want you to finish this time." He said.

"ooh. which one?" she asked, intrigued.

"The Economy." He told her. 

"Um, that one needs empirical work." she said, carefully checking the supply of space-sickness bags near the acceleration couches.  "I need a laboratory to prove my hypothesis, and by 'laboratory' I mean a star system."

"How about Kowloon?" he asked.

Elizabeth froze, "What happened to my brother?"

"Patrick asked for you." Victor told her, "I think your missing his wedding hurt his feelings, just by the way-that was shitty, Liz."

she bit her lip, "It's better for him...and his kids, if they don't have to know me before I die, Your Highness."

"Yeah, I don't think so, and Mom doesn't either. You're going."  Victor told her, "As your Liege Lord, I kinda demand it."

"of Course, Your highness.  what will I be doing there for the realm?"

"Prove your theories." he told her, "Make an example I can use for a reform package, or fail gloriously so we can learn what not to do."

"I'm allowed to fail?" she asked.

Victor sighed, "one of my instructors at the Nagelring pointed out that we learn from failed experiments as much as from success.  Dad seemed to agree. You've got a huge string of successes, but then, you've kind of had a net to fall on and got to only do things you were interested in doing, this will be a real test of what you can do...and it will make your relatives happy to see you're doing well."

He then smiled, "Besides, with your projected lifespan, you're almost middle-aged and have yet to complete your mandatory term of service in the Civil Service, so you can check that box off-you might be exempt from military draft, but that doesn't mean I can't make you perform your mandatory service to the Realm."

"You're familiar with Briar Patches, Milord?" she asked.

"I am, and yes, I'm-a-gonna toss you right into that there briar patch, brer rabbit." he said, mimicking a Broken Wheel drawl.

"As you will, Milord." she replied.

"strap in, you've got your sickness bags?" he asked.

"yeah...I hate Ju-"

discontinuity

"...you made one mistake too many, you stole from the realm, you stole from your government..but worst of all, you stole from ME!!"  Elizabeth stood, leveling the pistol, the man across from her still looked smug, not expecting her to do what she did next.

BLAM!!

"your debts are now discharged."

"-mp TRa-aaaughehuuurkkkk"  she barely got the airsickness unit over her face before the vomiting erupted.

in the couch across from her, Victor winced in sympathy.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #68 on: 02 July 2020, 15:37:29 »
Well, it looks like she's going to get to perform true to form, at least...  ^-^

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #69 on: 02 July 2020, 19:22:22 »
she had a much less crappy upbringing this time and will have Patrick around to help with the legal and political side of things. and since patrick got to toss Condit out before (if going by other stories) Condit turned from just corrupt to fascistic, Liz shouldn't be facing quite as bad a situation. heck, Patrick was already rebuilding the 171st, which shows that the place is probably on the mend politically. it just needs the Liz Ngo organizational magic to smelt out the slag and forge the industrial powerhouse.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 03 July 2020, 06:13:36 »
Kowloon, 3053...

"We can do better, Pat."  Elizabeth walked with the Duke of Kowloon along the line of militia machines.

"I know we can, Lizzie, I just don't know how.  'mechs are expensive and so is the training."

"Simplify." she said.  "Settle on one chassis for each weight class, sell the rest off, it means fewer battlemechs, but it also means you only have to pay attention to one set of requirements for training, ammunition, and qualification.  Plow the money from the sales into keeping your chosen types in good order, and negotiate with the manufacturers to get supplier contracts for parts, subcontracting, and if you can swing it, an assembly building, if we have to pay an added license fee, it's still cheaper than trying to maintain thirty six different models in a battalion that's just over forty eight machines.  For the ground vehicle roles, again, simplify."

"That's going to cut our available forces way down, Liz." he said.

She stopped, "Big brother, you're a military mind.  How useful is an army with a twenty five percent readiness rate?"

"point taken."

"Plus, at least initially, it gets you under the legal limit for ducal forces, you're over that limit right now.  some cosmetic compromises to the law as it stands works in your favor."

"What do I do with the additional personnel then?"

"Training." she asserted, "right now, according to your own AAR's and OER's, you've got a lot of greenies with very low proficiency, especially with the 'mech arm-so cut the available slots, train with the machines you're keeping, and slot personnel based on merit-it's basic stuff Pat.  build your core of skill, build extra idle hands, and issue new machines as they become available from the production lines I'm going to help you arrange and set up-I'm pretty sure the Archon Prince will prefer a small, growing force that is competent and easily supplied in a deployable condition, over a hodge-podge used 'mech lot with half-trained operators."

"I don't see how going into business against Defiance and Coventry is going to help, Liz."

"Who said we would be?" she asked, "Kowloon has a lot of people with bright ideas, we're going to subsidize the opening of manufacturing suppliers and small businesses with loans, loans with terms, we're going to help them get over licensing hurdles, and we're going to give 'm direction, Ngo Industries will help those small outfits make contacts with the big outfits to bring in needed cash to pay those loans off, and to finance and fund expansions....and we're going to cheat on our taxes."

His eyes goggled, "ELIZABETH!!"

"you're right, 'cheat' is the wrong verb." she said, "We're going to take advantage of some tax-deferrals for infrastructural development signed into law by Her Majesty the Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth back in '51."

"And you know about this how?"

"I wrote the law she signed." Elizabeth said, "thank your stars nobody's read that decree closely before now, it means we get to be trailbreakers...and Ngo Industries gets a big chunk of that money right back because we're the biggest tooler in the Commonwealth, and I intend to have lots of factories making spares for existing systems-just not being saddled with having to pay the vig for having all those factories under the family's name-we're going to reverse three hundred years of economic decline and get this moribund local economy in motion...and we're going to be fielding a new unit type,too."

"new unit type?"

"Powered armor Infantry.  I've already put in the Corporate Office Production Order for the tooling and manuals." she said, "You need to find me a battalion of technically adept grunts to help with final development...and is Alicia Li still on staff?"

"Yeah..."

"Good.  we are going to be expanding some of the Rockjack repair yards into proper shipyards, I need her contacts and her input.  I want Kowloon in 3057 to be the scariest planet above the Truce Line, with the best General in the Commonwealth in charge-and that's you, but I need to make sure you have the weapons to fight and a working doctrine to fight with."

she reached out, "It's good to be home, big brother. Let's make those dreams grandfather had a reality."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #71 on: 03 July 2020, 06:18:25 »
I think she blew Pat's mind...  8)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 03 July 2020, 06:29:23 »
Kowloon Yard Sale, Everything must GO GO GO!!!

looking for gently used 'mechs, we have all weight classes and styles!  We have weapons, we have spare parts, we have support equipment! Kowloon is ready to deal, and get these deals while they're HOT HOT HOT!!

Need Vehicles? we've got used vehicles too! Tanks? we'll sell you tanks! spare parts and ammunition, invade your neighbours, defend against your neighbours, defend against the Clans!  we have equipment and we're ready to make a deal!
[/font]

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #73 on: 03 July 2020, 06:41:32 »
 :toofunny:

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #74 on: 03 July 2020, 07:50:09 »
Kowloon Yard Sale, Everything must GO GO GO!!!

looking for gently used 'mechs, we have all weight classes and styles!  We have weapons, we have spare parts, we have support equipment! Kowloon is ready to deal, and get these deals while they're HOT HOT HOT!!

Need Vehicles? we've got used vehicles too! Tanks? we'll sell you tanks! spare parts and ammunition, invade your neighbours, defend against your neighbours, defend against the Clans!  we have equipment and we're ready to make a deal!
[/font]
I'd subcontract the sales to Discount Dan: he's the perfect man for the job (so long as you don't have any Hunchbacks you want getting rid of. Nobody ever buys Hunchbacks...)
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #75 on: 03 July 2020, 08:08:55 »
Oye, no dissin' the Hunchies  :toofunny:

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 03 July 2020, 08:52:47 »

Who benefits?  a careful, measured use of leverage and you can uncover a rotting carcass crawling with scavengers and parasites.

Elizabeth's efforts involved a liberal amount of second-hand equipment refurbished by her family's firm, being used to produce more of that same equipment initially.  Ngo industries had built their reputation by repairing salvaged equipment, very little of the firm's actual inventory in 3049 had been new product, but decades of making spares for existing machines meant that in 3053, putting together the basic tooling for a huge range of military products was...well...cheap.

too cheap.

This was more evidence of sabotage.  she carefully documented her suspicions, as the new industrial zones on Kowloon were brought on-line.

it wasn't just the prices.  it was time, as well.

"Artificial Scarcity." she muttered.  the evidence was literally all over the financial books now.  There were a few compromises she had to make-systems even her firm hadn't been contracted to repair before, more hands put to work in factories-but the costs were lower, and with gages and measurement tools and a good Quality Assurance program, this was less of a problem than should have been.

'should have' being the operative terms.  Everything in the literature and journals insisted that what was happening on Kowloon this year, was a physical impossibility.

Kowloon was racing ahead.  Domestically, the economy was growing at eleven and a half percent, up from three percent last year.  "Why hasn't anyone done this before?"  she muttered, going through the figures.

The loans were being paid off, and tax revenue was expanding fast enough that banks were elevating interest rates to keep pace and keep the currency supply locally stable.

Unemployment was dropping, as spin-off industries were already forming from the edges of the military industrial complex she'd poured rocket fuel into, public aid payments were also plunging.

Elizabeth made note to increase education spending to keep the higher wage jobs local, endowments from the interest payments from the leveraged loans she used to apply that rocket fuel going straight into printing up textbooks and manuals, hiring teachers and trainers, and expanding the education system throughout the Kowloon system.

Normally, such moves would be dangerous.  Increasing educational infrastructure spending was often at the expense of defense and public order funds, and this really wasn't any different-except that there was more money available than her best projections had suggested two years ago.

CMW, Defiance, GDE, Nashan...the customer list for Ngo Industries was distinguished, and most of them were willing to arrange licensing and subcontracting agreements with little producers on Kowlooon-expecting chump-change and a little good free publicity, mostly, and discounts on the corporate maintenance and expansion plans they already had.

They weren't getting chump-change now, though. 

No, indeed they weren't getting a few phennigs on the Kroner.

"Can we sustain this?" she muttered.  "I don't see why we can't."

Her reverie was interrupted by a knock on the door of her work-space. 

Elizabeth pulled her mind into her body, and answered.

"Liz, we need to talk."  Patrick said.

"you've got the bad-news expression." Elizabeth said, "and I smell alcohol."

"yeah.  Henry." he said.

"what?"

"Henry apparently survived when the Clanners took Blackjack, Liz...our brother...He joined the Clanners."  He handed her the intelligence report.

she took the report, and opened it, reading as she walked into what used to be Grandfather's living room.

she fell into a couch without clearing away the butcher-paper and printouts.

"He's alive?" she asked.

"It would seem so."

she closed the file.  "We need to bring him home, Pat, bring him home and get him deprogrammed from that cult."

"That's not all the bad news, Lizzie, we might not have to go far to get him."  Patrick dropped into the only clear chair in the room.  "The unit he's part of? LIC thinks they're heading for either here, or Coventry."

"We're not ready yet." she said, "we're just...we're not ready."

"We need to get ready.  wrack your brain, give me a plan, little sister."

"Everything we've got then." Elizabeth said, "everything Li's got squirrelled away, every trick and tactic we can come up with, that's what we're going to need.  How long does LIC think we have?"

"Two years?" he said doubtfully, "if it's going to be here, we might be able to mount our own defense, but I can't put together an expeditionary force if it's Coventry-we don't have the men."

"Work to be done, then." Elizabeth sighed sadly.  "Work to be done...and if they bring our brother home, aw god..."

"one thing at a time." He said, "but you're taking this better than I thought."

"The Kells, Pat." she said, "Their boy Phelan's been indoctrinated into this Clan Cult too.  I never imagined I'd have to even think about being in Morgan Kell's position, having to face a family member across a battlefield."

"you won't be."

"Won't I?" she asked, "I might not be carrying a gun, but he's my brother, and he's in with my people's enemies, same as you...only I won't have to pull that trigger, and maybe that makes it worse."

"What are you contemplating?"

"Remember Li's 'historical renovation' project, the ballistic missile submarine?" she asked.

"Yeah, it's almost finished."

"Make sure it can actually fire ballistic missiles." Elizabeth said, "and I need to start a survey for nuclear reactors capable of breeding Plutonium-we're not going to play their game, Pat.  We can't afford it without a fleet of our own in space..." she dug through a pile of papers and came up with a thumb-drive, "Project orders, we're going into the capital missile business-only while we're selling conventional arms to the AFFC, we're giong to be buildng nuclear tipped weapons for here at home, everything we need including contractor numbers is on this stick...and tell Li I want a commission, if someone is going to be launching nukes, it should be the person who designed and ordered them-tell her to arrange for my qualification course."

"Elizabeth, you're-"

"I'm exempt from the Draft and can't serve in an AFFC military formation, there is nothing in the law that says I can't serve in a paramilitary organization under civil control.  Legally, the Coast Guard is a civil agency, not a deployable military formation, i can do this, Pat.  Best case scenario is I get to ride around in a submarine for one weekend a month and two weeks a year. worst case, who would you rather have with those keys, a stranger or your sister?"

"emotional blackmail, Liz...but fine. I'll send Li to talk you out of this, and in the meantime..." he accepted the stic, "I'll put this in motion."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #77 on: 03 July 2020, 08:58:39 »
It does make you wonder how many big brothers would trust their little sisters with NUKES...  ::)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 03 July 2020, 09:07:45 »
Tharkad...

"She's doing what??" 

"building nuclear warhead factories, Victor." Katherine laid the report on her brother's desk.  "Missile factories too...and missiles.  In fact, three of their subcontractors out there are building ammunition for the launchers on the Fox class."

"We didn't order nukes." Victor said.

"No, you didn't.  You should have." Katherine dropped into a lounging position, "You really should have.  Then, maybe, this would be explained as something other than a mad genius who's slipped the reins."

"There has to be a good reason." Victor said, "THere just must be."

"Victor, brother dear, I love you but you are sometimes dense.  Dad kept her on a short leash because she solves problems and makes things happen, you let the leash out, and she's still trying to solve problems and make things happen, only her 'solutions' skirt the law and may end up constituting a war crime...but, my friends in intelligence have a pretty good read on her 'reasons', and they're damned good reasons."

victor tilted his head.  "alright, what are they?"

"The Clans, specifically Clan Jade Falcon. Kowloon is above the truce line, and industrializing into something that might be valuable enough they will take it, and Lizzie isn't stupid.  The question of her intelligence isn't the issue, the question of whether the syndrome is impacting her emotional reasoning is-she's capable of building a nuclear arsenal, capable of re-building an industrial base, capable of economic brilliance and nothing about the girl suggests she's got enough political skill to match her other gifts..."

"And solutions?"

"Increase AFFC presence in the region, we're going to have to do that anyway, and get some oversight on Kowloon." Katherine suggested, "Aunt Nondi  might be a good choice, or Sharon Bryan..."

"Bryan's already in charge of that theater, I'll have her poke a look at Kowloon...and we'll see about that nuclear stockpile." Victor finally decided.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 03 July 2020, 09:30:33 »
Surprisingly Uniform.

General (Margrave) Sharon Bryan watched the parade of Kowloon's reformed Militia with a little bit of jealousy-the 'mechs weren't just grouped by weight class, they were uniform, a situation not seen much since the fall of the original Star League.

Single types in each of the four major weight classes, grouped in neat columns and ranks.  a Pleasing sight.

the armored regiment that followed the 'mechs was also remarkably uniform.  The vehicles were all 'of a type', built on the same chassis but with different roles ranging from the rather heavily built Infantry Fighting vehicles, to the Tanks, to the Artillery platforms.

"What are those?" she asked.

"Thumpers, ma'am, we based everything off license copies of the Rommel/Patton to keep resupply simplified."

"Seems excessive for some APCs, Duke Patrick." she noted.

"Well, in a way, they are." he agreed, "However, bear with me here, each one of those has two four man squads of power armored troops to deploy, they're not built for urban pacification in peacetime.  given where we are, that seemed an extravagant waste of resources."

"Pacification is a waste?"

"We have police for that, Ma'am." he told her, "these are soldiers, they're here to fight the enemy, or to prepare to fight the enemy."

"hrummph." she shook her head, as the next rank of units passed the reviewing stand.

"Those are the engineering units." he offered.

"You used a different chassis." she noted.

"Same drivetrain and powerplant, different body and layout." He said, "We're building fusion packs fast enough now that we've mostly removed dependence on combustible fuels from the equation."

"How very Star-League." she noted.

"Well, it's a good idea, isn't it?" he asked, "when you have enough factories building them, fusion is absolutely the way to go for a military organization, is it not?"

"it is...hell of a display, Pat." she said, "I'm interested in your nuclear program."

"We're still working out the bugs." he said.

"Indulge me. that's an order."

"I can tell you, or I can let you see for yourself." Patrick countered.

"very well, I'd like to have a look...after this parade."

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #80 on: 03 July 2020, 09:39:18 »
Hmmm, this is starting to become really interesting Cannonshop. And in my opinion this is no longer short, or were you indicating towards the lifetime expectancy for Lizzie? Also, where the hell is Arthur!? I'd have expected for him to be close to his love interest, if that hasn't sizzled out yet. :o

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 03 July 2020, 10:12:52 »
Coast Guard Station Núi đá, Antarctic Landmass, Kowloon...

Elizabeth finished the final check and hit the timer without looking.

"How did I do?" she asked.

Paola Sithers-Greene 591 sighed.  "Two minutes faster than when made your first pass." she said, "I'm checking you off, you are now officially a Nukee, Miss Ngo, qualified to arm, disarm, assemble dismantle, program and deploy eleven types of thermonuclear device ranging from asteroidal mining charges to military grade laser-fusion bombs.  this is nine months well spent."

"Whoo HOO!!!" Elizabeth felt like cheering.  The difference between theoretical modeling and practical hands-on training made the last nine months of Coast Guard 'tech school' perhaps the roughest and most gruelling course she'd ever taken-beating out basic training and diver training by a fair margin, though part of that was the constant requirement for physical requalfication for fitness-usually right before a quiz or exam.

"Where did I place in the standings?" she asked.

"Twenty fourth out of fifty.  dead solid average."  that was a letdown, "but you passed qualification.  Next stop in your training will be Spider Moon for nullgee."

"Oh."

the Rockjack Officer clapped her on the shoulder, "Relax, it's not your fault you were born at the bottom of the well, Miss Ngo, I'm kind of impressed you scored that high given your cultural defect being a dirtyfoot and all. everyone above you on the list is a Rockjack from the outer belts, you just weren't raised right."

"that's...supposed to make me feel better somehow?" Liz asked.

"Yep.  okay, chatter says a suborbital hop is bringing a VIP accompanied by your big brother to take a look at our program here, my orders from the Admiral are that you're supposed to hang on site until the visit's over, got any problems with that Nugget?"

"No Mum." Elizabeth said dutifully.

"Good on ya. we'll make a Rockjack out of you yet, just you see-free of this...crushing environment and you'll thrive."

"you really don't like being on a planet, do you?" Liz inquired.

"Is it the way I'm marking off days until my sentence dirtside is up that gave it away?"

"Uh, yeah?"

"that's-"

"Yes Mum."

"better. grab your snivel garments, we're supposed to meet them topside."

"Aye Mum."

"Better Still.  You're learning."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #82 on: 03 July 2020, 10:21:06 »
Did the Ngos have any tankers in their history?  I named my IFV McKennsy (after the Hammer) because I didn't know of any...

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 03 July 2020, 11:02:23 »
I chose Con thằn lằn (lizard) for the name of my APC. Vietnamese translation is courtesy of Google translate.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #84 on: 03 July 2020, 11:05:49 »
That is an inspired choice, one I'm sure Pat found highly amusing!  :D

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #85 on: 03 July 2020, 11:06:27 »
You know, I've always been somewhat surprised that the Inner Sphere didn't take the gloves off, especially after Turtle Bay: when you're fighting an existential war, it's war to the knife, and knife to the hilt, so Praise the Lord and pass the thermonuclear ammunition!

Let's show these Clanner bastards how a real war is fought!

And no, don't tell me that they lost the ability to build nuclear weapons: if the first three Succession Wars tell us anything, it's that that's not a Genie you can just put back in the bottle. Every Great House is going to be sitting on a stockpile of the real nasty stuff, just to keep the other side honest.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 03 July 2020, 11:45:57 »
"what did this facility used to be? I'm sure you didn't build it in the last two years."  Sharon Bryan asked, as she walked through the main locks.

"We didn't. The Star League built it for House Amaris in 2715." Patrick explained, "it was used by the Star League government to house political prisoners."

"The Star League didn't have political prisoners!"

"Yup." Elizabeth quipped, "Sure didn't.  They also didn't build an advanced, maximum security penitentiary specifically to hold certain designated individuals who had to be disappeared, but couldn't be outright killed. No-sir-ee, not the Star League."  the General stopped in her tracks.

"You're claiming they did."

"We're standing in the evidence." the Duke's younger sister had one thing going for her-she had no fear of speaking up or speaking out.  "Cham Thuoc's boys took this site and got to it before they burned the records or erased the cores, General-we have had those records and recordings in archival storage since 2768, and if you want I can have a couple archaeologists show you where they hid the bodies while the site was active, the prisoner records, what they were sent here for, who ordered it, and what happened to them while they were here, but nope, none of that matters as much as the lily white reputation of space camelot."

"you are a very rude little girl." Bryan said.

"Rude, but right." Liz countered.  "We turned the structure into a training facility and weather monitoring station, and sited one of the nuclear weapons training schools here, because it's robust enough to contain things if five kilotons of Alamo goes off."

"has that happened?"

"Not yet." Liz said, "I just finished my own qualification run, no major accidents on the arm or disarm portion, but that doesn't mean it won't happen, so planning ahead."

"Live Ordnance??"

"Uh...yeah.  We clear the site of all personnel and it's just the test monitor and the candidate." Liz stated, "But you gotta remember from your own training, Mum, there is no simulator that is an adequate substitute for live weapons when doing EOD training, and no simulation that can certify a technician or a weapon as well as live disarm or live fire.  I'm slotted for a Live Fire blastex in May of next year on Boojum 5, I have to finish my spacer quals first, since it's a hard vac open pit test that ranges from .5 Kiloton Davy Crockett ordnance to 25 megaton comet-splitters, and that assumes I don't blow my flight medical or my health doesn't deteriorate too far."

"that is...unusually specific." Marshall Bryan noted, "how many devices are you talking about again, for this 'live blastex'?"

"eleven." Liz said, "Twelve if one of the Croks squibs."

"Per exercise?"

"No mum, per cadet candidate involved IN the exercise."  Elizabeth stated, "We've got the warheads-at least, once you get past about one megaton, thanks to asteroid mining in the outer belts and those are just 'working tools' for the Rockjacks, but for the export grade military stuff, well...those have to be manufactured.  Looking to buy some Alamos or Crocketts, mum? Maybe a peacemaker array? the ones we're building are navalised, but those can be adapted to a ground base if you need it..."

Sharon Bryan was having a hard time wrapping her mind around the revelation.  "how many candidates are...slotted?" she asked, hoping for some sign of sanity.

"one hundred fifty, scheduled three tests a day until the required one percent of stockpiles have been certed as good...ma'am, you look kinda ill?"

"that's...that's more nuclear ordnance than the entire Tharkad stockpile!"

"sounds like you need to buy some to me, doesn't it sound like that to you, Pat?  AFFC needs nukes?" Liz said easily and with a smile.  "Hey, we can talk production runs once you've cleared it, right?  Nothing will say 'welcome to the Inner Sphere' quite like having their warships blown apart, will it?  And hey, I've got some other irons in the fire for when we're ready to push the invading ****** out of our house, too-some great stuff, cheap even, all pointed at the ****** invaders."

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 03 July 2020, 12:22:01 »
 ;D

Anyone else hearing Nicholas Cage's opening to "Lord of War"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojS3v-oTmRQ

"Kowloon is ready to arm the other eleven."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 03 July 2020, 12:52:44 »
ninety one hours later...

Marshall Sharon Bryan was pale and shaking in the Comstar communications booth.  "Milord, excuse me.  you asked me to look into this situation, and it is far worse than I could have imagined was even possible."

"Marshal Bryan, please, explain that statement."

"She's evil, Milord.  Antichrist levels of evil.  it's not just the factories you have in the reports! they have more than that, and she wants to use them on the Clans. and not just the nukes, Milord, she showed me a plan for pre-emptive kinetic bombardments, self-replicating weapons systems, something called an 'enhanced radiation pulse' bomb that has a small blast radius and a huge kill radius, continental grade EMP effects designed to knock out whole regions...and the foundations where she intends to begin reviving antimatter research.  The stuff of absolute nightmares."

"Marshall Bryan, none of that is new to me, Elizabeth's a scientific savant, and we've had open discussions about the nuclear option in the event that the Clans break the truce."

"Milord, ou don't understand! she's arming civilians.  The spacer community in the Kowloon system have a nuclear arsenal that rivals that of many provincial capitals, and they're using them as tools unsupervised and unrestricted! and Duke Patrick? do you know what he told me??  he said using military force to maintain civil control was a waste of resources!!"

"and??"

she gathered herself, "How can we maintain order if the militia won't move to suppress dissent, Milord? when their commanders insist that they are soldiers and leave it to civil police!?"

Victor looked thoughtful.  "That sounds pretty nice, actually.  I like that idea."

she snarled, "One word, Milord.  Skye."

"which might not have radicalized so severely if we didn't shoot bystanders, Sharon, I read all the after-action reports, including casualty figures. for century after century, the Commonwealth's response to protests in the Skye region has been to send in soldiers, kill civilians, burn businesses and houses, and for what? it hasn't brought an end to Free Skye, but it has brought Free Skye new recruits and additional radicalization. I think Duke Ngo's approach might be appropriate in the longer term context, don't you?"

"This has the potential for a major rebellion, Your Majesty-if Kowloon gets it in their heads to secede-"

"Elizabeth is loyal, and so is Patrick-I know her, she vouches for him."

"but the weapons-"

"She is making great strides to build weapons to protect this great nation of ours, Marshall-and we're going to need them, badly, and soon.  all I wanted to hear from you, is that their programs are working.  You've confirmed that they are, and you've voiced a personal opinion regarding the character of someone close to my brother Arthur, whom was raised in the Steiner-Davion household from the age of eleven, she's not evil, Sharon, she's...socially awkward, i'm sorry my pre-briefing didn't cover that."

"Your Majesty, what is your long-term intent?" Sharon asked.

"we're working on a plan of counter-attack against the Clans, Marshall.  I need Liz Ngo building as many weapons, as many suits of armor, as many vehicles, fighters, and anything else her mind comes up with, as possible or feasible.  How do her home-build 'mechs look?"

"They are effective designs built in large quantity."

"Place orders for more, and anythign else they're building there that can be used. buy as much as your budget will handle, we need to start re-activating deactivated units, and it might as well begin in the Melissia Theater...hey, has she actually tried to build any of those baby-warships she was thinking about?"

"Um...yes?"

"Good, get prices on those, I want as many of them as she can turn out.  you have your instructions now, carry them out, Marshall."

"Jawohl."

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #89 on: 03 July 2020, 13:01:21 »
Awesome update!  I like the interaction between Marshall Bryan and Liz that was nice display of the different thinking between Liz/Kowloon and the AFFC!  Is Arthur at the academy in Robinson at this time?