Author Topic: [Non-BT] Tales of the Starship Diana (ST:TOS)  (Read 33228 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Re: [Non-BT] Tales of the Starship Diana (ST:TOS)
« Reply #120 on: 24 May 2019, 13:16:52 »
pretty much every other game dealing with the era is actually derived from the Star Fleet Battles license, not the official trek license. STO is official trek license only.

SFB is technically only legally able to use the Franz Joseph technical manual and parts of TOS and the animated series.

Yeah, but the Star Fleet Manual has the Saladin Destroyers in there.  They should be prevalent in the appropriate era.

That said, I was merely lamenting that Official Trek didn't even try to do something like a Kelvin under TOS styling. 

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #121 on: 24 May 2019, 18:12:21 »
the Star Fleet manual was never art of official trek though. it was a project initiated by Ballantine books under a carte blanche license from Desilu Studios. Roddenberry very much disliked it, to he point he supposedly rewrote parts fo the setting and the informal 'rules of ship design' given to the model makers in order to seperate TOS more from the material i nthe manual. while there have been some blink and you'll miss it uses of data from the book (schematics on a screen in the ST:TMP, use of registry numbers and names in later works, etc) it still isn't counted as part of official trek. (especially since TNG literally remapped the galaxy and made most of the setting info obsolete)

it basically falls into the same category as the later TNG and DS9 techmanuals in that regard. unofficial to the shows, but often used by the writers and prop makers as easter eggs. given the SFM's connection to the SFB game setting, i suspect that attempts to bring the franz joseph designs into official trek in any easily visible fashion would trigger a major legal headache.

as for the kelvin.. i still think the visual changes they've made for the abramsverse films and discovery were totally unneeded, and wish they'd retained the TOS stylings at just a higher level of quality. (the way DS9 did with its time travel episode's new sets, and how ENT did with its Mirror universe episodes.)
« Last Edit: 24 May 2019, 18:13:52 by glitterboy2098 »

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #122 on: 26 May 2019, 00:09:07 »
I appreciate this story.

It is good fun.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #123 on: 26 May 2019, 21:55:09 »
the Star Fleet manual was never art of official trek though. it was a project initiated by Ballantine books under a carte blanche license from Desilu Studios. Roddenberry very much disliked it, to he point he supposedly rewrote parts fo the setting and the informal 'rules of ship design' given to the model makers in order to seperate TOS more from the material i nthe manual. while there have been some blink and you'll miss it uses of data from the book (schematics on a screen in the ST:TMP, use of registry numbers and names in later works, etc) it still isn't counted as part of official trek. (especially since TNG literally remapped the galaxy and made most of the setting info obsolete)

Yep.  My understanding is that initially, Roddenberry was okay with it, and the two were friends, but that two things went wrong: Roddenberry and Paramount allowed FJ to copyright the book, so they didn't make anything off it, and he could relicense his material for SFB.

it basically falls into the same category as the later TNG and DS9 techmanuals in that regard. unofficial to the shows, but often used by the writers and prop makers as easter eggs. given the SFM's connection to the SFB game setting, i suspect that attempts to bring the franz joseph designs into official trek in any easily visible fashion would trigger a major legal headache.

Yup. At least CBS/Paramount kept the copyrights on the TNG/DS9 books.

as for the kelvin.. i still think the visual changes they've made for the abramsverse films and discovery were totally unneeded, and wish they'd retained the TOS stylings at just a higher level of quality. (the way DS9 did with its time travel episode's new sets, and how ENT did with its Mirror universe episodes.)

I won't comment on DSC changes and modernization, and it's necessity, but it hasn't really put me off.  The Kelvin verse style has grown on me, and I seem to recall they had to change it up due to the weird Paramount/CBS license split.

Personally, I have a plan on how to handle it all by having multiple timeliness and temporal loops. TOS/FJ-ish mid-23rd century led to the Diana's launch, with canon in place until Voyager took a trip back in time, which caused First Contact, which changed up the 22nd Century and the Enterprise erqa to what we saw there, leading to the USS Kelvin stylistic differences, then Discovery-Era TOS.  Kelvinverse split still happens after the Hobus supernova, and thanks to the Temporal Cold War, things have a tendency to eventually smooth out by the 24th Century...in no small part because Q wants to make sure Jean Luc Picard is around to annoy.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #124 on: 27 May 2019, 15:25:21 »
You should read "watching the clock" in the department of temporal investigations novel series. As the pilot novel, it weaves a neat little set of 'temporal physics' to explain some of the stuff from various episodes, like how you can have both the many worlds stuff from some episodes (where events split off new timelines, like worf experianced) with the 'rewrites the timeline' stuff. It is actually quite clever in how it resolves both into a coherant system using concepts from various trek episodes together.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #125 on: 16 June 2019, 02:28:54 »
Captain’s Log, USS Diana, Stardate 22931.12 (2274-01-06 09:28:44)

After journeying 14 months from the Kerbol system, the Diana is approaching our interesting little Dyson sphere.  We've had the Dyson sphere under observation for four months now, and as we approach the point where it should be within visual range, our science team is finding it even more puzzling than when Diana and I first detected it.  Readings are exceedingly difficult to get while at warp, so we’ve had to make several stops along the way to make more detailed observations.  Our most recent, and extended, were 50,000 AU from the primary, but we’ve not yet located the outer edge of the shell, nor conclusively determined its structure.

Due to the red-shifting of the already-red spectrum of the star, Diana and I had assumed that the structure would most likely be a Dyson bubble or net, as the occlusion was far too great for a Dyson swarm or ring made up multiple satellites residing in the same orbit, and ultralight solar collecting light sails capable of using radiation pressure to maintain station-keeping aren’t far beyond the Federation’s own materials science.

Now we’re beginning to wonder if that’s really what we’re seeing.  Two of our science staff, Ensign Bilbin Kerman and Ensign Wenson Kerman, are both firmly of the opinion that it must be some kind of bubble using radiation pressure, but our chief engineer, LTJG Lobles Kerman, has speculated, and I am leaning towards agreeing, that we may be seeing an actual Dyson shell.  Diana M-5 has, to date, refused to take a side, preferring to wait until more evidence is available.

That evidence will hopefully be available soon, as we prepare to drop out of warp a mere 50 AU away from the system primary.  Our current flight path is at an oblique angle to the position of the star itself, as nobody wants to drop out of warp and collide with the Dyson sphere itself, whatever form it happens to take.  From there, we intend to close in on the Dyson sphere at quarter-impulse, and investigate further.  To date, we’ve not only not detected the outer edge of the sphere, but no sign of subspace, or even electromagnetic, traffic that would lead us to believe someone’s home, which simply adds to the puzzle, confounding the science department, and adding to the air of curiosity and, perhaps, worry amongst our crew.

As for our new crew, the journey here from Kerbol, hasn’t always been easy, but the slow pace has allowed Diana M-5 and I to make significant inroads towards training our Kerbal crew up to Starfleet standards.  Mostly.

-------------------------------------

USS Diana Ship’s Log, Supplemental, M-5 “Diana” Reporting

It is important to understand what Dee means by “mostly” in this instance.  We’ve all heard the jokes and comments from non-human engineering students at Star Fleet Academy, such as how the first Vulcan scientist to watch the old “Back to the Future” trilogy for the first time, nodded sagely, stating “Yes, that is exactly what human scientists are like, in my experience.”

So, yes, human scientists and engineers can be…eccentric. In some ways, the Kerbals are even more so, and it has shown in many of the repairs and refits done to the Diana.  Systems kludged together that you would expect to fly apart at the seams…don’t.  On the other hand, we’ve had to evacuate the physics lab twice this week alone.  While their enthusiasm is appreciated, there are times I wish the Kerbals were a little less…over-enthusiastic.

Adapting Starfleet protocol to work with the Kerbals themselves has been interesting.  For example, while they insist that there are subtle differences in their surnames, neither of us can discern them, either in verbal or written form.  The universal translators completely fail to differentiate between these subtleties, and while Dee and I have both made concerted efforts and become fluent in the Kerbal language, we remain unable to do so.  As such, Dee and I have taken, to referring to crew members by their first, rather than last, names, which the Kerbals have found completely acceptable.

Another change has been the shift to Starfleet’s optional four six-hour watches, rather than the more standard three eight-hour watches, as rotation of their native planet, Kerbin, is only six hours.  Kerbals generally sleep a total of six hours every 24 hour period, with lower levels of activity during a second six hour period of “night”.  Captain Haines and I have, therefore, endeavored to accommodate this in scheduling, with staff rotating through assignments such that during every six hour watch, one group will be in their low-activity period, one their sleep period, one standing watch, and one working on secondary activities or training.

To date, these adaptations have been successful, with our crew working well together, even in emergency drills.  Whether this will remain the case in a true emergency remains to be seen.

-------------------------------------

Bridge, USS Diana

Tramy Kerman’s fingers danced over the helm controls as she dropped the Diana out of warp.  The former skipper of the KSV Just Testing had jumped at the opportunity to join the giant alien starship on its trip back home, just for the opportunity to see the galaxy outside the Kerbol system.  Looking down for what had to be the thousandth time at the gold braids of a lieutenant junior grade around the cuffs of her new uniform, she pondered once again how she ended up the second officer on the Diana. “We’re at all-stop, Captain,” she announced.  “Navigational scans are clear for at least 10 light-seconds.”

Dee Haines nodded.  “Good.  Didn’t think we’d run into anything out here, but it’s good to know our long range sensors are still working.  Speaking of which, any sign of our mysterious megastructure?”

At the multi-sensor hood, which had been remounted to allow it to swivel down to Kerbal height, Ensign Bilbin Kerbal looked up.  “So, Lieutenant M-5 is continuing to analyze the readings, but nothing so far, Captain.  We still aren’t even seeing the typical Oort cloud of comets or closer Kuiper belt.  Not even any signs of planets.  It makes sense if they dismantled them all, but it’s still just weird.”

Turning to the female kerbal seated at the navigation station, Dee said, “Ms. Hayvin, plot a search course taking us above the ecliptic.  Ms. Tramy, once she’s done, take us in at a quarter impulse.  No sense running into any planets we may have missed on our scans.”

Behind, Dee, at the communications console, a male kerbal in a red operations uniform spoke up.  “Captain, do we want to radio Kerbin, and let them know we’ve arrived?”  Like most of the bridge crew, with the notable exceptions of Dee herself and Tramy Kerman, he was a relatively young ensign.

“Excellent idea, Mr. Tedler.  How long until we should expect a reply?”

Tedler Kerman thought about it for a moment.  “Assuming immediate reply?  Around eight and a half hours, ma’am.”

“Good,” Dee said happily.  “It’s kind of nice to be able to actually send regular reports.  Tedler, go ahead and transmit an update to Kerbin.”

Diana, the ship’s M-5 computer, spoke up over the intercom.  {“At one-quarter impulse, and assuming the outer boundary of the sphere is within 1 AU of the local star, it will take us 4.5 days before we can expect to reach the Dyson sphere itself.”}

“Or,” Dee noted, “just over a day at full impulse.”

From the nav station, Hayvin Kerman, turned around briefly.  “Ma’am,” she said, “with a star system this empty, we could go low warp.  At Warp 1, we’d be there in less than 90 minutes.”

Dee pondered for a moment.  “Could work.  Could kill us all.  Before we make a decision though…Engineering,” she continued, keying a button on the arm of her chair.

{“Engineering.  Lobles here.”}

“Got good news for me, Mister Lobles?  How are our engines?”

{“Impulse engines one through four are happy campers.  Secondary warp coils are on standby, but are doing fine.  Main warp engine hates me and everything I stand for, but is still working as well as can be expected.  Couldn’t hurt to give it a break, though, and use the secondary coils for a bit if you want warp while we’re here but aren’t in a particularly big hurry.”}

“Mr. Lobles, you’re not planning to blow us up, are you?”

{“Not this week, Captain.  Next week, maybe.  I’ll get back to you on that.”}

Suddenly, Bilbin sat up, a look of confusion on his face.  “What?  That doesn’t make sense.”

Dee turned.  “What doesn’t make sense, Ensign?”

{“I think we found it, Captain.  It’s just...remember when we said it would be silly if the surface of the sphere was solid?”}

“I do,” she replied.  “You’re saying that…no.”

{“Yes.”}

Bilbin nodded.  “It looks like a solid surface, ma’am, approximately 15 million kilometers radius.”

“On screen.”

Flickering to life on the main viewscreen, a tiny image of a darkish sphere was visible in the distance.

In her command chair, Dee frowned.  “Is that a potato?  Can we clean that up at all?”

Bilbin shook his head.  “Even with our Federation wonder-sensors, and even going to active sensors, we’re going to need to get closer to get a good look.”

“Fair enough.  Mr. Bilbin, Diana, go to active sensors,” Dee ordered.  “Ms. Tramy, take us in.”
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #126 on: 16 June 2019, 02:54:20 »
Well, it can't be the Jenolan Sphere, wrong part of the galaxy for it if i have the mental stellar cartography right. And yeah, the solid surface sphere seen in 'relics' really makes little sense from a construction standpoint.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #127 on: 16 June 2019, 03:43:08 »
Yeah, this isn't the Jenloan or Solanae spheres, but same builders, in theory.

For those who haven't played Star Trek Online:
It's the Iconian's fault

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #128 on: 16 June 2019, 10:28:21 »
"Not this week, maybe next week"... :D totally at giggles mode.
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #129 on: 17 June 2019, 11:57:46 »
"Iconians. Again. Can there just not be a save the universe campaign, just stop Romulans from causing trouble?" Captain Renee of the Avenger-class USS Bulkley
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #130 on: 17 June 2019, 21:46:34 »
"Iconians?  Captain Renee of the Bulkley said it best when we were last at Spacedock...”(Laughs)

Captain Bowman of the Odyssey-class Carronade
« Last Edit: 30 June 2019, 17:23:56 by Blackhorse 6 »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #131 on: 16 July 2019, 01:19:51 »
Star Trek: Tales of the Starship Diana, Episode 7, Act 2:  “Ball of Confusion”[/b]

Captain’s Log, Supplemental

We’ve taken the Diana to within a million kilometers of the Dyson sphere.  With a radius of 15 million kilometers, the interior would be brutally hot were this a larger star, but or M-5 computer, Diana, and my science teams are increasingly convinced that this isn’t a more typical M-class star we’re not seeing, but either an extremely small red dwarf, or a large brown dwarf, though we won’t be able to know which until we can see the star itself, and check for lithium emission lines, but I find I tend to agree with their analysis.

Also, I continue to find myself in shock at describing a megastructure with a radius of a tenth of an AU that has a surface area comparable to over five million Earth-sized worlds.  But, hey, I still can’t believe someone was crazy enough to build this as a solid surface, rather than a bunch of solar collectors.

Right now, Diana is working with the science department on analysis of the surface, in an effort to find an opening, or subspace radio receiver, or anything other than the endless expanse of carbon-neutronium shell we’ve seen so far.  So far, that’s proven elusive, so we may need to get closer.

-----------------------------------

Captain Dee Haines, once again, thanked the fact that her android body let her go long periods without sleep.  She still needed to do so, since her virtualized brain structure was still essentially human in nature, but being able to be awake for thirty or forty hours straight without rest was handy from time to time.  Like when trying to find the entrance to a Dyson sphere, which she and Beta shift were currently trying to do.

“Anything sign of a door, Miss Wenson?” she asked the Kerbal currently monitoring the science station.

Wenson shook her head. “No, ma’am.  We’re working on the assumption that the builders would have put it along the equator of the sphere, which we think we’ve identified, but there’s a lack of defining features to be sure of that.”

Dee nodded.  “Mister Lenmin,” she said to her navigator, “we’re currently a million kilometers from the surface, right?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“OK, plot a course over the equator that will take us to 300 thousand kilometers.  Mister Bilbaud, once you have that course, take us around at a quarter impulse.  Mind your distance, please.”

“Aye, Captain, no crashing us.  Course laid in, quarter impulse.”

The cruiser settled into a new course, drifting closer to the Dyson sphere, and within a few minutes, found something.

“Captain,” Ensign Wenson Kerbal called out, “I’ve found what appears to be a hatch and communications nodes.”

“On screen.”

Wenson pressed a key at her console, transferring the image to the viewscreen for the bridge crew to see.  Diana, the ship’s M-5 computer, didn’t need the viewscreen at all, and continued to monitor the area being searched.  Dee Haines, due to her android nature, could technically interface with the ship’s computers the same way, but generally didn’t – part of training the Kerbals how to crew a Federation starship was to show them how a captain who couldn’t access any of the ship’s systems remotely would behave.

Dee stared at the image on the screen for a moment.  “Good sized hatch.  It’d certainly accommodate a bigger ship than us.  But, then, we already know they built ridiculously huge.  Anything on subspace, Mr. Tedler?”

“Negative, ma’am.  All quiet.”

The captain sighed.  “So it looks like we’re going to have to ring the doorbell then,” Dee pondered, “and see who answers.”

{“At least nobody is shooting at us yet, yelling ‘No trespassing!  Get off my lawn!”} Diana, the M-5, helpfully supplied.

Looking up briefly from his nav console, Bilbaud ventured, “Maybe nobody’s home?”

{“That seems unlikely, Ensign.”}

“He may be on to something,” Wenson countered.  “I’ve been reading Federation records on the concept of Dyson spheres, and someone on Earth postulated back more than two centuries ago that, by the time a civilization could build a Dyson sphere, they would no longer need to.  Maybe they just happened to catch onto that a bit late.”

From her command chair, Captain Haines nodded.  “Maybe.  Then again, maybe they’re just shy.  I don’t get the impression you build a Dyson sphere because you want to spend a lot of time interacting with the people outside it.  We’re not going to know what’s going on inside, though, from out here.  Set us stationary relative to the door.  At 300 thousand kilometers, we’re a good light-second out, so hopefully they don’t think we’re hugging their door too tight.  Ensign Haiul, target one of the communications nodes, and send out a general hail.  Time to ring the doorbell."

The female Kerbal at the communications station acknowledged the order with an, “Aye, Captain,” and transmitted a Starfleet standard hail, one generally used in potential first contact situations, which generally included enough information for the recipient to translate it.

It didn’t take long to get a reaction: almost immediately, the vast doors began to part, as tractor beams reached out from the four “communications nodes”, grasping the Diana, and slowly dragging the starship towards the opening.

“Not that I don’t appreciate the invitation, but not even a ‘hello’ first?” Captain Haines stated indignantly.  “Options?”

Bilbaud seemed to be struggling with the helm controls.  “Response is sluggish, and it looks like primary warp power is offline.  We’re straining hard against those tractor beams, but I’m not sure I can break us free of them.”

{“Their tractor beams are interfering with primary power distribution.  We may not have the power to break free.”} Diana offered helpfully as the main bridge lights began flickering.

Dee tapped a comm button on her chair.  “Engineering.”

{“Lobles here,”} the Diana’s chief engineer answered, in a frazzled voice, {“We’re a bit busy with whatever it is you’re doing the ship now.”}

“Huge hatch.  Big tractor beams.  Pulled inside.  Power trouble?”

{“We’re working on it.  Be glad we have superconductor cables backing up those damned EPS conduits.  Thought we were wanting to go inside anyway, though.”}

“We do, Mr. Lobles, but I’d rather it be our choice, and have everything working.”

{“No argument there, Skipper,”} Lobles replied, followed by a {“No, increase it another 300 megahertz!”}, presumably at someone else in engineering, as it sounded like he’d turned away from the intercom.  {“Good.  We’ve adjusted frequencies a bit down here.  That should restore at least some power from our impulse engines.  Don’t try warp right now.  We had to do an emergency shutdown of the main warp engine, and I’m not liking the readings I’m getting from the backup systems on impulse engines one and four, and even if it works, that much strain may snap off something we’ll need later.  Like the secondary hull, or warp nacelle.”}

At the helm, Bilbaud shook his head.  “Still not enough power to break free,” he announced as he continued to work, the Diana struggling to get out from the tractor beams.

Diana appeared to agree with his assessment. {“We’re being pulled through the hatch.”}

As suddenly as they’d snapped to life, the four tractor beams drawing the Diana into the Dyson sphere shut off, as the starship passed through the open doorway of the sphere, beyond their reach.  They had, however, imparted a significant amount of momentum to the ship, pushing it well clear of the now closing doorway.

Gripping the arms of her command seat tightly, Haines angrily asked, “Can we get back through before those doors close?”  She already suspected she knew the answer.

Bilbaud confirmed what she already knew. “With just impulse engines two and three, we’re producing enough thrust to arrest our forward momentum, but even with maneuvering thrusters, we won’t make it in time.”

{“At present, we’d be better off establishing an orbit around the star, and try to affect repairs.  We should have enough power to put us a million kilometers above the outer shell.”}

Dee nodded.  “That’ll keep us from having to use the impulse engines to avoid falling into the star, but put us far enough away from anything we might run into.  Mr. Lenmin,” she said, turning to her navigator, “Mr. Bilbaud, lay in a course.”

“Aye, Captain.”

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #132 on: 09 July 2020, 15:06:29 »
Star Trek: Tales of the Starship Diana, Episode 7, Act 3:  “Is There Anybody Out There?”

First Officer’s Log, Supplemental

While Captain Haines continues to monitor operations from the bridge, my science team has been conducting a thorough, possibly exhaustive, scan of the interior of the Dyson sphere, looking for any signs of habitation, whether by biological or non-organic intelligence.  This may prove critical to repairing the damage the Diana has suffered as a result of our inadvertent entry into the Dyson Sphere.

Though more experienced, and individually much faster than any of my science staff, I have found that having a full science team has proven to be of great benefit.  Junior Science Officer Bilbin Kerman and my science department staff have taken to the task of reviewing the influx of incoming sensor data from our scans of the massive structure, with exoplanetary geologists and astronomers both working extra shifts, often to the point where Ensign Bilbin or I have to remind them to take care of essential activities, like eating, or sleeping.

Chief Engineer Lobles Kerman and his staff continue to make repairs to the Diana, with current efforts focused on repairing the extra warp coils on impulse engines one and four, which Lt. Lobles estimated would prove faster than a full inspection and emergency repairs of our primary warp engine.  Unfortunately, the Diana was not a young ship when we left Federation space on this mission, and our experiences since then have made our ongoing maintenance and repairs far more complicated.
These complications have led Captain Haines and I to, privately, discuss whether, once we’re free of the Dyson Sphere, continuing in our plan to return directly back to Federation space is actually a viable one at this time.  While our new allies the Kerbals have done an admittedly exemplary job of repairing the Diana, many systems, such as our main warp engine, remain decades beyond the planet Kerbin’s current technological and industrial capacity.  However, even if it were necessary to wait twenty or thirty years while the Kerbals further their research and understanding of our technical base, that delay may provide us with sufficient restoration of our own capabilities that we still see a net benefit in our return flight time.

--------------------------------------------

Main Science Lab, USS Diana

Bilbin Kerbin leaned back from the scanner hood, confusion on the Kerbal’s face.  “That’s...odd.  I think I may have found some structures we haven’t seen yet.  If you look here,” he said, tapping a selection on his PADD, to highlight it for the M-6, “you have structures that could be docking towers or something similar.  They’re taller than most of the structures we’ve seen along the surface, at least.  Nearby, we’ve also got these.” Bilbin tapped another section of the PADD screen.  “Your sensor resolution is ridiculous, by the way, to be able to get this amount of detail that far away.  But, those look like the new yards we’re building over the Mun and Duna, don’t they?”

Diana reviewed Bilbin’s findings, and decided that she concurred.  {“In fact they do, at that.  What was your take on these structures?”} she asked, highlighting another section of the Sphere’s surface not far from the ones Bilbin found.

The kerbal peered at the readings for a moment, then frowned.  “I’m not sure, actually.  I mean, they’re giving off energy readings I’ve not seen before.  I’m seeing neutrino flux that could be from fusion, but the thermal outputs don't look like what you see from the Diana’s impulse drives or backup reactors, and I'm not seeing an exhaust trail.  Then there’s this,” Bilbin added, tapping the station’s controls to highlight additional data the ship’s powerful sensors took in.  “Look at this, Commander.  That’s a bizarre mix of subatomic particles and high-energy photons radiating out from there.  That doesn’t look at all like what we’d see from most known fusion byproducts, and is too messy for controlled matter-antimatter reactions, but it doesn't look like uncontrolled detonations of antimatter and matter, either.  Could you take a look, and see if you concur?”

{“Certainly.  Stand by...those may be significant readings, and I agree with yiur observations, but the electromagnetic and subspace interference is still a considerable problem, even for our sensors.  I believe we will need to move closer, and I’ve sent a signal to the bridge to inform them of our discoveries.  We should be changing course shortly.”}

“Thank you, ma’am.  Have you seen readings like this before?” Bilbin asked.

{“I believe my human progenitor had seen something similar near the end of her tour on the Enterprise, but either damage to my memory core prevents me from recalling the full details, or we were never privy to the full details.  We should know more soon, though, as Captain Haines intends to take the Diana closer to obtain higher resolution readings and to cut through the interference...that is odd.”}

Suddenly, the Red Alert klaxon went off, and every monitor in the science lab simultaneously began flashing the same symbol.  Bilbin didn’t recognize it, though it looked similar to the lexicon used by Starfleet: it was much like an upside-down “u”, or an “o” open at the bottom, with short bars radiating outward horizontally from each side of the opening.

Bilbin tried clearing the screen next to him, but found the controls unresponsive. “I appear to be locked out, and I do not recognize this symbol.”

{“My memory has been unlocked, and I’m now privy to the significance of what those unusual sensor readings,”} Diana M-5 replied.  {“It’s an Omega Alert.  We’re in serious trouble.”}

Frowning, Bilbin asked, “The Diana is in trouble?”

{“The Diana certainly.  Even Kerbin, possibly.  Captain Haines is scheduling a meeting in the main conference room.  Please report there immediately."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #133 on: 09 July 2020, 16:24:58 »
oh dear. that does not bode well.

also given that Kerbol Space Program 2 has been announced, and will include interstellar trips and tech.. i wonder how long before we'll be seeing someone actually build the Diana in game..

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #134 on: 09 July 2020, 18:30:38 »
Fascinating.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Ttw1

• Corporal
  • Fedcom fanboy.
« Reply #135 on: 09 July 2020, 22:47:52 »
TAGed
I'm sad to say that An Entry With a Bang was what introduced me to battletech. In retrospect it was a ****** of a roundrobin, but I still look upon it fondly.

The Mother Doctrine was good. Change My Mind.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #136 on: 12 July 2020, 22:36:24 »
It's back.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #137 on: 07 August 2020, 17:20:58 »
Conference Room, USS Diana

Captain Dee Haines looked around the conference room at her senior staff.  "So, we've got what could be a tiny little problem."

Tramy Kerman, head conn officer and, technically, second officer of the Diana, sighed.  "Oh good.  Big enough concern to lock down the whole ship, but it's just a tiny little problem.  How tiny, ma'am?" she asked.

{"Molecular-sized."} Diana M-5 helpfully chimed in, putting a diagram of a complex fullerene molecule on the conference room screens.

"We call it the Omega molecule," Dee continued.  "A few years ago, the USS Enterprise was involved in an incident at a research station studying and trying to synthesize the molecule.  A single molecule appears to warp spacetime within it, possibly tapping into the vacuum energy of space itself, providing as much power as our matter-antimatter warp engine.  It...didn't go well."

{"Ensign Jana Haines, our human progenitor from whom Dee and I were copied, was stationed aboard the Enterprise at the time of the incident, and observed the aftermath.  Based on the sensor readings the Enterprise took, the research team is believed to have successfully synthesized a single molecule.  It was not, however, stable, and its collapse and destruction destabilized a sector of space nearly 20 light-years in diameter.  The Enterprise barely escaped the shockwave, and the sector was rendered impassable by warp drive.  It is not known how long that will be the the case, or if spacetime in that sector is permanently destabilized."

Nobody spoke for several seconds, before Rayby Kerman, ship's chief medical officer, finally broke the silence. "Well, that's horrible, in the 'we're all gonna die' sense," she said, shuddering.

"Oh, it gets so much worse, Doc," Bilbin Kerman chimed in.  "Lieutenant M-5 and I didn't detect traces of a single molecule.  We detected traces of thousands.  Maybe millions.  We're still not sure how many, just that there are so many they're interfering with our ability to resolve them individually, and that there are a whole lot of them close together."

Chief engineer Lobles Kerman fought down his initial panic. "OK, thousands, maybe millions of wonder molecules warping spacetime and tapping into vacuum energy.  Got it, and, wow, that's disturbing.  But, they haven't blown up yet.  So the people who built this Dyson sphere had to have come up with stable storage, right?"

Dee nodded.  "Hopefully that's the case, but we can't depend upon that.  We're going to need to come up with a way to neutralize the Omega molecules without causing them to explode horribly."

{"The alternative is risking not only our own destruction, but putting the Kerbol system itself at risk, potentially stranding the Kerbal people by rendering warp drive useless."}

"That said," Dee added, "there is some potential good news.  Ensign Bilbin did discover something that could be potentially helpful.  Miss M-5, if you please."  The screens changed again to display the towers Bilbin Kerman and Diana M-had also discovered.

{"These structures appear to be shipyards.  While we have not presently detected any starships in these yards, given the advanced technology of the sphere itself, it's possible, perhaps even likely, that we will locate advanced technologies that could assist us in repairing or refitting the Diana."}

"Captain," Tramy said evenly, "we still need to be able to leave the sphere.  If we can't do that, then kitting out the Diana with fancy new tech doesn't really matter, because we'll still be stuck here with a potential super bomb."

"True," Dee agreed. "Leaving going to be our number two priority.  But our number one priority, overriding that, overriding even the safety of this ship, is determining how many Omega molecules are here in the Dyson sphere, finding a way to neutralize them and, if we can, figuring out why they have so many of the damned things in the first place.  Mister Lobles, you're absolutely correct that they're most likely in a stable state at the moment.  I'd like Engineering to work with the Science team to figure out how they've done that, and how long they're likely to remain stable."

"We're going to need to get even closer, Captain," Bilbin noted.  "The Diana's sensors are still picking up a bunch of interference.  We may even need to send a team in to examine them first hand."

"Agreed," Dee said. "And to that end, because Lieutenant Tramy is not wrong, we'll need to make sure we can leave when we're ready - it may come down to poking the Omega with a stick then running like hell.  Mister Lobles, can we keep their tractor beams from knocking out half our systems?"

"I think we've made some of the necessary adjustments, but we won't be sure until we try.  A better look at their technology up close might help us refine our own adjustments better."

"Good," Dee mused.  "Mister Tedler," she asked, turning to her chief communications officer.  "Are we going to be able to communicate with the hatch node again?"

"Yes, ma'am," Tedler replied.  Pulling up an image on his PADD, he transferred it to one of the conference room screens.  "We were being thrown clear pretty quickly, but we did get an image of communications nodes on the inside of the hatch that look just like the ones on the outside.  I wouldn't mind testing it, but our standard hails seem to activate them well enough."

Tramy frowned. "We should consider sending a message back to Kerbin, too.  Let them know what we've run into."

"Lobles, could you spare a couple engineers to help me convert a probe into a comm relay?" Tedler asked.  "We could deliver it outside by shuttle, and test the hatch again at the same time, and free up the Diana to work on Omega."

"I think I can spare a couple, and rig a shuttle to handle their tractors.  We don't know how long it'll take to get a response, though."

Tedler nodded.  "I know.  So we ask them to acknowledge the message immediately, then I sit and wait for a reply in the shuttle.  It should be good for a couple days of endurance, right?  We just tell them how long we'll be actively monitoring."

"They're not really going to be able to help us, though," Rayby noted.

"No," Dee agreed, "they're not.  It's important to let Kerbin know what's happening, and to get their input, in the end it's going to come down to us.  Tedler, your plan is approved.  Bilbin, you're right that the Omega storage may require up-close examination, so start assembling your own team.  We've got the foundations of a plan.  Maybe even 20% of a plan.  Let's go get what we need for the rest.  Dismissed."
« Last Edit: 07 August 2020, 17:26:47 by Giovanni Blasini »

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #138 on: 30 August 2020, 20:16:09 »
More plz!
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.