Author Topic: [Non-BT] Tales of the Starship Diana (ST:TOS)  (Read 32731 times)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Re: [Non-BT] Tales of the Starship Diana (ST:TOS)
« Reply #60 on: 09 October 2015, 15:09:16 »
Sounds like Hokas...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 10 October 2015, 20:55:02 »
They have meet the kerbals from that game. I have played it, but I have seen some videos andvit is funny though.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #63 on: 11 October 2015, 01:13:10 »
Absolutely superb stuff MA :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #64 on: 11 October 2015, 08:51:08 »
http://trekmovie.com/2015/10/09/the-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-writing-contest-is-back-get-your-fanfic-published-in-an-official-star-trek-anthology/

Hint hint...

Ooh, they are bringing the Strange New Worlds anthology back!  "Of Cabbages and Kings" from the first (second?) volume was one of my indirect inspirations.

Tempting, though the Kerbals would need a rename, obviously, and I'd have to pick a specific ending point for the story.  Since I'm writing for forums right now, a serialized format works fine, which wouldn't work as well for the anthology.  My writing quality would probably be another: I have my doubts I'm publishing quality.

Absolutely superb stuff MA :)

MA's superb stuff is the next thread over. ;)
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 01 November 2015, 00:14:45 »
KSV Just Testing
High Orbit over Kerbin

They call it Kebthulhu.

That’s not its official name, of course, though it was better than calling it the “space kraken” like so many did.  Officially, it was the “Kelcubierre Warp Anomaly”, after Kelcubierre Kerman, an acclaimed physicist who studied the data returned by the ill-fated probes and spacecraft, and from there developed the theory of warping space that led his son, Miguel Kerman, to develop the faster-than-light drive that bore Kelcubierre’s name.

That same drive now powered their spacecraft, the KSV Just Testing.  Little more than a standard 2-kerbal Kemini capsule with a supplemental life support and supply module tacked on to a test article for the warp drive, and a small monopropellant thruster pack to the rear.  In between the warp drive and monopropellant rockets was a solar power hub and battery banks originally slated for a space station but repurposed for their little probe.

The hope was that two kerbals would have a better chance of surviving to bring back data on Kebthulhu than a completely automated probe would.  And while they weren’t exactly expendable, everyone knew that their hastily slapped-together warp ship stood a good chance of being eaten, whether Kelcubierre and Miguel Kerman thought their warp field would protect them or not.  After all, it was equally possible that the interaction of the two warp fields would destroy both space kraken and warp ship.  Assuming, of course, their own spacecraft didn’t destroy them first.

Tramy Kerman looked over her flight controls again.  Next to her in their cramped command pod sat her flight engineer, Lobles Kerman, who was responsible for monitoring their warp drive.  The mood in the pod was somber, and neither spoke more than necessary as they ran through their operational checklists.  She looked over at Lobles, sighed, and said, “Rapuhc a av otse.”*

(*Rendered in the original Kerbalese.  English translation: “This is going to suck.”  All subsequent Kerbalese will be translated to Federation Standard English.)

Lobles nodded.  “Probably.” He continued to go over his checklist.  “When has that ever stopped us?”

“Good point,” Tramy agreed.  “Ok, everything is nominal on my end.  What about yours?”

“All systems go.”

Keying her comm system, Tramy dialed in the frequency for mission control.  “KSC, this is Just Testing.  We are in position and go for FTL.”

{“Roger, Just Testing.  Give ‘em heck.”}

“Acknowledged.” Tramy cut the transmission. “OK, Lobles.  Light it up.”

Lobles’ reached forward, verified the solar panels were retracted, and switched the warp drive from Safe to Armed.  A red glowing field appeared around the ship.  “Let’s do this.”

Tramy slowly slid the “throttle” control forward, increasing the power to the field, causing the ship to slide forward.  “Here we go.”

They slowly increased the speed of their vessel, reaching towards sixteen times the speed of light, which put their destination only six minutes away.  Cutting their engines upon arrival, they saw it almost immediately:  a massive white saucer, trailing a long cylinder attached by an interconnecting neck.  At one point, it was probably pristine.  It was less so now.

Lobles’ jaw hung open speechless.  Tramy stared at it for a moment before finding something to say.  “What is this I can’t even…”

Then things got weird.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #66 on: 01 November 2015, 14:03:08 »
"Then things got weird" is always a bad sign.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: 01 November 2015, 19:13:39 »
"Then things got weird" is always a bad sign.

Or it's a sign that things are about to get awesome!!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 12 December 2015, 23:31:40 »
Hi all, just a quick note:

The story isn't dead, and I've actually gotten started on the next part.  I've just been delayed by work, my wedding, and my honeymoon.  Next week may be rough, too, since I'm both on call and going to see the new Star Wars movie.

Oh, and I read "The Martian", which is absolutely awesome, and gave me a deja vu moment with regards to this story.

Hope to have the next part up by next Friday, but may be a bit late.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 13 December 2015, 08:40:51 »
Congratulations!
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 13 December 2015, 14:58:10 »
Hi all, just a quick note:

The story isn't dead, and I've actually gotten started on the next part.  I've just been delayed by work, my wedding, and my honeymoon.  Next week may be rough, too, since I'm both on call and going to see the new Star Wars movie.

Oh, and I read "The Martian", which is absolutely awesome, and gave me a deja vu moment with regards to this story.

Hope to have the next part up by next Friday, but may be a bit late.

Congrads on the wedding and honeymoon
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

GrimNefari

• Corporal
« Reply #71 on: 13 December 2015, 21:30:52 »
Congrats on the wedding and thanks for a lovely trip back thru my Trekky days. As a consequence I have redownloaded STO and started a human federation tactical officer. I blame you for this diversion from my normal routine. Damn you! Lol  >:(
Omaha's Raiders Volumes:
Origins
Hunting the Black Flag (Forthcoming)
TO&E and Fluff Info

twitch.tv/omarkrieg
youtube.com/@omarkrieg

GrimNefari

• Corporal
« Reply #72 on: 14 December 2015, 08:14:42 »
Wow. A lot longer of a response than I had ever expected. I saw a lot of changes when I rejoined but I never thought it would be as you have described.
Omaha's Raiders Volumes:
Origins
TO&E and Fluff Info

twitch.tv/omarkrieg
youtube.com/@omarkrieg

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #73 on: 14 December 2015, 18:50:30 »
Wow. A lot longer of a response than I had ever expected. I saw a lot of changes when I rejoined but I never thought it would be as you have described.

Your Warp Speed May Vary....

Play it if you like it, don't play it if you don't like it. 

Paul

GrimNefari

• Corporal
« Reply #74 on: 14 December 2015, 20:24:20 »
We'll see how it goes. I played for a few hours last night and will probably do so again. Still wanna check out the Klingons and Romulans, despite the issues listed above. In fact, since I usually don't get too much into the pvp or number crunch theory as mentioned above, I may still enjoy the game. Then again I could get bored easily too. Who knows.
Omaha's Raiders Volumes:
Origins
TO&E and Fluff Info

twitch.tv/omarkrieg
youtube.com/@omarkrieg

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #75 on: 15 December 2015, 00:12:53 »
I stopped playing once I learned about the Chinese buyout... anyway, get back to writing! *whips* 

GrimNefari

• Corporal
« Reply #76 on: 15 December 2015, 01:26:43 »
Yeah Ima have to second that writing bit. Didn't mean to temporarily derail the main topic here.
Omaha's Raiders Volumes:
Origins
TO&E and Fluff Info

twitch.tv/omarkrieg
youtube.com/@omarkrieg

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 15 December 2015, 02:24:08 »
We'll see how it goes. I played for a few hours last night and will probably do so again. Still wanna check out the Klingons and Romulans, despite the issues listed above. In fact, since I usually don't get too much into the pvp or number crunch theory as mentioned above, I may still enjoy the game. Then again I could get bored easily too. Who knows.

The best part of the experience if you're playing KDF or Romulan is the first 20 or so mission-levels-the ones before you hit the cross-faction mission set you'll probably already have played on your Fed.  The Romulan missions got a lot of the really good writing, as did the KDF missions, and they're involving and engaging for the most part.

after level 20, among the cross-faction stuff, the best, (in my opinion) are the Dominion missions associated to the 2800 story arc, because (esp. as KDF) you actually get to do different things differently from what you were doing as a Fed.
not a whole LOT different, but enough that you're actually playing a different faction and it feels like it.

« Last Edit: 15 December 2015, 03:36:57 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 15 December 2015, 03:39:46 »
Yeah Ima have to second that writing bit. Didn't mean to temporarily derail the main topic here.

Um, no, you did not derail the topic-that was me.  I got more than kinda ranty, (Mods, if you think it's right, go 'head and cut the post, I won't try to bury the evidence of me being a douche.) and let out more than a little vitriol when I shouldn't, and where I shouldn't.

(My apologies to Giovanni and the rest of you.)

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: 19 December 2015, 01:26:11 »
so any chance of seeing more of this story get written or can we call it a dead fic? if its dead, too bad, it was starting to get pretty cool though. and thanks for sharing anyway.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 19 December 2015, 03:24:10 »
so any chance of seeing more of this story get written or can we call it a dead fic? if its dead, too bad, it was starting to get pretty cool though. and thanks for sharing anyway.

I'm sure Gio is merely having life events...but then, even back when he and I were collaborating, (and I was collaborating with other fan authors) I always got frustrated with the slow production rates of my peers-until one day, I realized I was being a douche about it, and learned to relax and let people write at THEIR speed, instead of trying to get them to match MINE.

(my story listings with Battletech are legion, as in I wrote a crap-ton of stuffs, most of which are lost forever except when archived by nice people who mistakenly liked my stuff that well.  and for Star Trek? well, there's a huge list of stuff I wrote over on the STO forums under the handle "Patrickngo"-in less than four years, it's almost as much as I was churning out in prior incarnations of THIS board...it's a true chore to read my stuff, very formulaic, dull, really, it is.  I have zero idea why anyone would WANT to, beyond their possibly being somewhat masochistic.  on the other hand, Giovanni and Liam's_Ghost may not match the sheer volume of swill I put out, but their stuff is usually BETTER-you wait a bit, and the quality difference is visible to the extreme...)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 19 December 2015, 20:49:37 »

Seriously?  >:(

I have slept nine hours since Thursday morning, three of which were in the past three hours. I have, at this point, been awake for all of ten minutes...which consisted of another notification of an issue at work and reading this.  I slept 2.5 hours last night thanks to someone blowing up a server.

Like I said in my earlier post, I'm on call at work this week.  I just got freakin' married and got back from my honeymoon last weekend.  Spare time is not something I have had much of since before Thanksgiving.

Grrrr...  >:(

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: 20 December 2015, 00:59:43 »

I have slept nine hours since Thursday morning, three of which were in the past three hours. I have, at this point, been awake for all of ten minutes...which consisted of another notification of an issue at work and reading this.  I slept 2.5 hours last night thanks to someone blowing up a server.

Like I said in my earlier post, I'm on call at work this week.  I just got freakin' married and got back from my honeymoon last weekend.  Spare time is not something I have had much of since before Thanksgiving.

congrats on getting hitched and good luck with that. it sucks you have not gotten any real sleep and how things get better. and thank you for your writting that you have done on here for this story.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 20 December 2015, 03:37:38 »

Relax...chill...don't worry about it Gio-do your life-stuff, we'll still be here if and when the world stops kicking you in the gut and lets up for air.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 20 December 2015, 12:54:09 »
Relax...chill...don't worry about it Gio-do your life-stuff, we'll still be here if and when the world stops kicking you in the gut and lets up for air.

Wait the world is supposedly going to stop and let us breath air?   [drool]
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 24 January 2016, 02:07:29 »
USS Diana, M-5 Log, Supplemental

The bridge is on fire, but it isn't my fault.  I blame Captain Haines.  I suspect we may need to revisit the “What would Jim Kirk do?” policy.

{“Unidentified anomaly is turning towards the Kerbal vessel again.  Moving to intercept.  Forward dorsal shields at 35%.  Rolling vessel to present ventral phaser banks.”}  Diana M-5 was doing her best to keep the Diana from getting pasted by the bizarre anomaly, but it was not an easy task.

Dee Haines, captain of the Diana, nodded assent.  “Good.  Try to keep it focused on us.  Is its warp field power levels still reduced from our last blast?”

{“Affirmative.  Anomaly does not appear to have anything equivalent to deflectors.  Damage we do with phasers appears to directly affect the…creature…and to reduce the power of its warp field.  Firing phasers.”}

Decks below the bridge, the twin phaser banks of the scout ship fired continuous blue beams of phased nadion particles into the creature.  {“Power levels dropped another 15%.  Continuing evasive maneuvers against the Anomaly.”}

“Just say it,” Dee replied, as she hit another burning console with the blast from the extinguisher.

{“Say what?”}

“Giant space squid,” Diana said, smiling.  ”One more console out.  Two more to go.” she thought.

It was, in truth, a bizarre matchup.  Even warp-capable, a two-kilometer-long giant space squid should not have been able to get close enough to hit the Diana with tentacles of all things.  Perhaps, had the ship been in optimal condition, it wouldn’t have been able to.  Certainly, nobody told the giant space squid that.

The Diana was struck again in passing by the “Anomaly”, weakening her shields even more, and causing the auxiliary science station’s console to burst into flames.  ”OK, three more consoles to go.”

{“Giant, warp-capable space squid that is working diligently on trying to destroy both us and the Kerbal vessel.”}

“Yes,” Dee agreed, “but mostly the Kerbal vessel.  Keep us interposed between the squid and the Kerbals.  Priority is keeping the phasers and warp propulsion online.”

{“That would mean interposing our dorsal side more often while phaser banks recharge.  The bridge is, as you may have noticed, presently on fire.”}

Putting out yet another console, Dee shrugged.  “Their Kirk-fu is weak.  Our Kirk-fu is strong.”

{“Seriously?  No more Hong Kong Classics Movie Nights.  I’m locking you out of those movies, assuming we survive this.”}

“Return fire as soon as our banks are recharged.  What if we nudge the thing with our warp field?  Any chance of we’ll disrupt its field more than our own?”

{“You want to ram it.”} Diana M-5 said dubiously.

“With the warp field,” Dee replied enthusiastically.

{“This business will get out of control.  It will get out of control, and we’ll be lucky to live through it.  Firing phasers.”}

“Now who’s quoting cheesy movies?”

{“We run a high risk of blowing out our warp nacelle.  We do not exactly have a replacement.”}

“No, but we have a warp-capable civilization that may be able to help us make repairs.”

The M-5 was still dubious.  {“I see no way in which this could end badly.”}

“Whiner.”  Dee winced as the Diana shook again, harder than before.  “Oh, that wasn’t good.”

{“Your squid is trying to latch on to our nacelle. Dorsal shields have dropped another 10% aft.”}

“Tractor beams?”
{“Not good.  We’ll have maybe 15 seconds, then burn out the emitters.”}

Dee finished putting out the last console, then made her way to the captain’s seat.  “Catch it with the tractor, keep us out of arm’s reach, overload the phased banks right into Cthulhu out there. Save ramming for Plan B.”

{“Simple, yet insane.”}

Dee gripped the seat tighter, as the space squid took another shot at them, forcing the Diana into another high-power maneuver.  Looking down at her status readouts, she saw dangerous fluctuations in their warp field.  “Got a better idea we can implement before we tear our nacelle off trying to avoid that thing?”

{“Engaging tractor beam. Phaser banks preparing to overload.”}

Dee split her concentration between the readouts on the captain’s chair, the display on the viewscreen, and what she could glean from her limited data link with the Diana, something she wasn’t as good as doing now that she was independent from Diana, her M-5 counterpart and alter ego.

Diana, the M-5, activated the tractor beams of the Diana, the ship, grabbing the creature as it maneuvered for another pass.  The scout ship nearly shook itself apart at the strain, but it managed to lock on, and force the giant space squid back a few dozen kilometers outside of tentacle range.  It was still far too close for a Federation starship used to engagement ranges in the tens of thousands of kilometers, but it would have to do.  Diana rolled the ship further, pitching the nose down to give the phaser banks a better field of fire, just as their capacitors reached the point that any more energy would cause them to explode messily: coolant lines were already beginning to rupture, and the whole assemblies were 100% over nominal “full” charge.

On the bridge, Dee smiled grimly as the two massive beams of energy leapt out from below the forward rim of the saucer section, slamming messily into the creature.  The giant space squid’s warp field fluctuated and died, and the sudden transition to having a warp field and FTL velocity to no warp field being dragged by an FTL spacecraft pulped the creature into a giant, revolting mess.  “Release the kraken my ass.  Damage report.”

{“We do not have a week to go into detail.  We’re able to move. Recommend keeping it under Warp 2, and only then if absolutely necessary.  And ouch.”}

“The Kerbal vessel?”

{“I suspect the crew is probably looking for clean uniforms.  Otherwise, they’re intact.”}

Dee signed in relief.  “Oh, good, they’re still alive. Mission accomplished.”

{“I’m making a note here: huge success,”} Diana said smugly.

“Quiet, you.”

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 24 January 2016, 05:45:19 »
hehehehehehehehh..

I laugh, I laugh out loud.

will there be Cake in the officer's mess?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 24 January 2016, 08:50:33 »
And grief counseling.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #88 on: 27 January 2016, 17:03:26 »
cool the casper is back and thank you gio for posting more of this funny ship.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 31 January 2016, 15:15:12 »
Kirk-Fu  O0

Register