Author Topic: AFFS High Command: Their Finest Hour  (Read 169432 times)

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
Re: AFFS High Command: Their Finest Hour
« Reply #1470 on: 06 July 2011, 16:07:24 »
I suppose I'll have to take your word on it.  You would, after all, know much more about being lame than me.
Impossible, after all I'm a Davion and we banned all such lameness years ago.   :P

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #1471 on: 06 July 2011, 16:16:05 »
Work it out of your systems before the new thread you two.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1472 on: 06 July 2011, 16:18:44 »
Eh, just having a little fun with the resident Elsie.

Wait, new thread already?  Man I'll never get used to this new board.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #1473 on: 06 July 2011, 16:58:18 »
Don't think of it as a new thread, think of it as a continuation of the old.  The Once and Future thread.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1474 on: 06 July 2011, 17:36:17 »
Sure, for promotion, ability to lead larger formations, etc. etc. I can't recall who said it during the ACW (Hardee?), but one general officer remarked that all his prewar service taught him was how to play cards and drink. Now obviously he was exaggerating (West Point officers were probably, on the whole, better at practical subjects like engineering than almost any British army officer of the 1860s [though the 1860s was hardly a high point for British military professionalism, the Wolseley Ring aside], but given the incredible ineptitude and unprofessionalism of so many commanders in the ACW, many of whom were prewar regulars, there seems to have been a germ of truth to it. Those splendid educations seemed to atrophy commanding a company of Dragoons on the great plains.

You're referring to John Reynolds, right? I like him a lot, and his contemporaries held him in high regard; it would have been interesting to see how well he fared had he lived.

NB I freely admit to probably being wrong in all things, I'm away from my books, lose regularly at Stratego, etc.
To be fair, I've heard the same from National Guard officers and NCOs about the period between the Gulf and 9/11.  Some of these being AGR Soldiers, not us "1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year" slobs.  Link for the uninitited: AGR
« Last Edit: 06 July 2011, 17:39:21 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

97jedi

« Reply #1475 on: 06 July 2011, 17:39:47 »
You know what would make this day better? Bacon. In fact, that would make just about every day better.