Author Topic: Help, please. Do I need to download a steam client to play BFGA2?  (Read 2335 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Basically that.

I've ragequit MWO for the last time, I hope.  I'm trying to find a (legal) download for Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 for PC, but can't find anything - am I overthinking this?  I know a lot of games go through Steam to prevent piracy, is this one of them?

So, will I have to download a Steam client to download the game, kept on the Steam servers?  Or do I get the whole game downloaded onto my computer to keep?  (I really don't want to do this, I'm old enough to want disks or permanent copies of the game of my own.)

Will the developer eventually shut it down and leave me unable to play it?  Or is it just permanently hosted on the Steam servers?  Will I ever lose the ability to play it?

A little miffed I accidently purchased an Xbox live copy from MS - hate, hate, hate their store and how I missed the 'Xbox Live' quote above the title - but I can live with Steam if it means I can enjoy gaming again without getting frustrated.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
You can buy BFG:A2 from GOG.com if you set up an account there (it's another electronic sales client similar to Steam. Same but different.)
Their range isn't quite the same as Steam's but if you're looking for an archival friendly seller, it might suit your purpose better.

You can get by without the GOG Galaxy client and they still offer a downloadable installer for archival purposes.

After you purchase it, go to your GOG account library.
From there, you can use the entries in the 'Download Offline Backup Game Installer' to download a copy which will allow you to continue to install the game even if GOG's servers go boom.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2021, 03:16:16 by Dies Irae »

Register