Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 163503 times)

iamfanboy

• Captain
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #390 on: 12 October 2018, 17:31:24 »
So I found something that I didn't know exists, and for some reason I'm not happy about it:

Attack on Titan Junior High.

I'm no stranger to parody anime - I like Rock Lee Go! a fair bit, even if the one-note they chose for some characters like Tsunade annoys me - but something about doing a 'lighthearted school days' parody of Attack On Titan, a really grim and nihilistic horror story in oh so many ways, just feels incorrect.

Plus, it's not funny. I rarely say that as a flat statement, because what other people find funny I sometimes don't, but it's not funny at all. It is, basically, the AoT characters as junior highschoolers in Tokyo, with its 'joke' being that the Titans have their own school. And it's LAZY.

I don't hate Attack on Titan, it's fine for what it is as an action/horror manga and has some pretty good plot twists later on (though I haven't caught up to it in a while!), but this? Ugh.

I went back to Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san to wash the taste out of my mouth.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #391 on: 12 October 2018, 18:22:57 »
I saw a trailer for that a while back, and yeah, I think lazy seems like the best word to describe it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #392 on: 12 October 2018, 22:56:26 »
Speaking of lazy.

Tried watching Lost Song on Netflix.

Gave up since I think the brand of kitty litter I buy is smarter than one of the main characters.

She's fooled into thinking that an assassin is one of her servants, despite the servant being a woman and the assassin being a large, muscular man with a full beard.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #393 on: 12 October 2018, 23:45:01 »
Another new anime I have got into is UzaMaid! Former sergeant major of JSDF is looking for a job and ends up serving as a maid for single father and his daughter. Daughter is shut-in and total tsundere, but father is totally charmed by strong battle maid and how she puts up with unruly daughter who has driven off a number of previous maids. I'm charmed too! Oh, new episode!

Watched! That maid is too funny.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #394 on: 13 October 2018, 11:49:00 »
It is claimed Goblin Slayer is based on D&D. Is this claim true, or is GS based on another game? Given the weight of reality in GS, I'd say it's based on GURPS.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #395 on: 13 October 2018, 11:58:20 »
D&D has a presence in Japan. Pretty sure GURPS is limited to imports and foreign players primarily.

It is claimed Goblin Slayer is based on D&D. Is this claim true, or is GS based on another game? Given the weight of reality in GS, I'd say it's based on GURPS.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #396 on: 13 October 2018, 12:25:12 »
D&D has a presence in Japan. Pretty sure GURPS is limited to imports and foreign players primarily.

Fujimishobo published a translated version of GURPS at one point, actually. I don't think it's in print anymore, though.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #397 on: 13 October 2018, 12:35:28 »
It's obvious that Goblin Slayer is based on TTRPG if you read the LN. Rather, about the Gods who "runs" the world. The other characters are as realistic as you could be, nothing silly like "bring up the status window" no level (Adventuerer guilds has a ranking system though where the hero who save the world from the Demon King is a Platinium Rank). Just whenever as a caster if you can cast something for what number of times a day.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 12:37:18 by HobbesHurlbut »
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #398 on: 13 October 2018, 12:42:42 »
It's obvious that Goblin Slayer is based on TTRPG if you read the LN. Rather, about the Gods who "runs" the world.
Yeah, I got that already from manga. But what "game" do the "Gods" "run"? Or is it left vague? Does novel author tell anything about it in afterword? Given the reality (which exceeds many live-action movies based on history) and presence of d6 (in anime), I'd say game is GURPS.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #399 on: 13 October 2018, 12:48:02 »
Yeah, I got that already from manga. But what "game" do the "Gods" "run"? Or is it left vague? Does novel author tell anything about it in afterword? Given the reality (which exceeds many live-action movies based on history) and presence of d6 (in anime), I'd say game is GURPS.
Actually I argue for D&D because of the monsters the Author used. But his story setting does not conform to the D&D Rules. Especially when there's no resurrection (Goblin Slayer was on brink of death, not quite dead when he was brought back).
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #400 on: 13 October 2018, 12:56:28 »
Actually I argue for D&D because of the monsters the Author used.
The monsters aren't necessarily limited to D&D alone and GURPS Fourth Edition Basic Set has an example of an elf character. Of course author may be familiar with a good number of RPGs and been influenced by all of them.

[edit]
But his story setting does not conform to the D&D Rules.
Oh yes, D&D 5th Edition rules says character wearing metal armour can't cast spells, yet priestess got herself a mail shirt.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 12:58:20 by Matti »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #401 on: 13 October 2018, 13:04:47 »

Nah, it's probably one of the Japanese systems like F.E.A.R.'s SRPGS. If I recall correctly, that's a D6 die-pool system. GURPS may have been available in Japan, but its market presence is exceedingly limited....

[edit]Oh yes, D&D 5th Edition rules says character wearing metal armour can't cast spells, yet priestess got herself a mail shirt.

Man, I hope that's not true. I haven't played 5th yet, but divine magic shouldn't be limited by armor!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #402 on: 13 October 2018, 13:15:12 »
Man, I hope that's not true. I haven't played 5th yet, but divine magic shouldn't be limited by armor!
I rather suspect if AUthor played D&D, it was 3.5 or a Japanese version of it.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #403 on: 13 October 2018, 13:15:45 »
Do you see what weapon Goblin Slayer uses to punch through goblin's helmet in 2nd episode? Pick. He has sword on his waist, but he uses pick against armour! Armour wins against sword and dagger (1st episode), but lose to pick! THIS is reality many live-action movies/shows based on history miss!

[edit]
Of course I have already seen it in manga beforehand.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #404 on: 13 October 2018, 13:31:23 »
[edit]Oh yes, D&D 5th Edition rules says character wearing metal armour can't cast spells, yet priestess got herself a mail shirt.

Utterly incorrect. The rules say you need to proficient with the armor you are going to use. And a cleric domain can grant armor proficiency. Up to the deity/priesthood. Mail armor has always been a common priest equipment from 1st edition and on.

Also, nothing stops you from dual-classing. You can create a level 1 dwarf fighter who gains heavy armor proficiency (ie full plate and twohanded sword for example), who then dual-classes to wizard on level 2. He still keeps his fight proficiencies and as such can cast wizard spells while in armor.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #405 on: 13 October 2018, 13:44:20 »

It isn't.  Druids might not be able to cast spells in metal armor, but that's been true in just about every edition.

In 5th Edition, anyone (even wizards and sorcerers) can cast spells while wearing armor as long as they're proficient with that armor type.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #406 on: 13 October 2018, 14:02:19 »
It isn't.  Druids might not be able to cast spells in metal armor, but that's been true in just about every edition.

In 5th Edition, anyone (even wizards and sorcerers) can cast spells while wearing armor as long as they're proficient with that armor type.

Thank the Gods, sanity reigns! Appreciate it!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #407 on: 13 October 2018, 14:08:17 »
Okay, that's where I got my misleading information from. I had made druid character as much by the book as I could and I got the wrong idea that class limitation for armour would apply to all spellcasters. Sorry.

By the way, when I took that character and Player's Handbook to RPG event (small scale con), Pathfinder dominated and nobody was playing D&D5 anymore. Nor GURPS for that matter :(

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #408 on: 13 October 2018, 14:19:11 »
I'd wager GURPS more, I know that both games had a presence over there at one point. One of my friends bought me a whole bunch of Japanese gaming magazines and the system they were for was DEFINITELY GURPS - there was a long-running segment on how to do a pro-wrestling campaign, and even how to play Slayers in GURPS. Some nice Rui Araizumi art in there that I haven't seen elsewhere, too.

But that isn't to say that D&D isn't a possibility, after all if someone wanted to run a gritty hard campaign it's entirely possible with D&D5E - the 1 day short rest/7 day long rest option comes to mind.

thx1140

• Recruit
« Reply #409 on: 13 October 2018, 20:24:17 »
Goblin Slayer’s author, Kumo Kagyuu, admits himself was heavy influenced by Tabletop RPG.

https://www.4gamer.net/games/436/G043667/20181001002/
(Dialogue of Kumo Kagyuu, and Hitoshi Yasuda, president of Group SNE, major Japanese TTRPG design group)

In this interview, he was interested with TTRPG via Sword World RPG’s replay books, and especially, he deeply impressed by "Sorcery!" gamebook.

Also, he enjoyed Sword World RPG, Shadowrun, Record of Lodoss War RPG, Ikai-Senki Chaos Flare(Japanese multi-genre crossover TTRPG like TORG), Dungeons & Dragons, and so on.

Now, Group SNE designing Goblin Slayer RPG, it will be released in 2019.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #410 on: 13 October 2018, 20:38:52 »
Record of Lodoss War is itself based on a D&D game the author ran.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #411 on: 13 October 2018, 20:48:57 »
Record of Lodoss War is itself based on a D&D game the author ran.

Yes, but I'm fairly certain THX1140 was referring to the Record of Lodoss War branded RPG that was released in Japan later on when he listed it distinctly from D&D.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #412 on: 13 October 2018, 21:11:23 »
I know.  I just thought it was interesting that there's an RPG of an anime based on an RPG.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #413 on: 13 October 2018, 21:33:17 »
*content*
Thank you for the information. I couldn't find that before.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #414 on: 14 October 2018, 13:25:31 »
I haven't even seen ImoImo yet, but even if it's total garbage, I'll be forever thankful that it got Sister Princess trending on JP twitter in 2018!  ;D
It's basically a character trope deconstruction citing tropes from all over the last 20 years, essentially for female characters running the whole gamut that Sipiru initiated. It's somewhat fun in how it does it too.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #415 on: 14 October 2018, 23:34:38 »
Just powered through Last Hope and Dragon Pilot on Netflix.

Both are interesting in their own way.

Last Hope is kinda predictable. Though it doesn't necessarily stick with all the shonen tropes, the fact that each character on the team gets a dedicated arc of one or two eps showcasing their history was kinda obvious.  I suppose, when the next part of the show comes out, I'll follow along, as the events and people involved on the other side have piqued my curiosity.

Dragon Pilot is definitely geared toward a female audience, but it's watchable for the whole family.  Cute, in a lot of ways, I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Now, I'm hopping into Blue Exorcist. Was kinda surprised by this one.  I was thinking it was gonna be cheap nock-off of Bleach or something.  Turns out to be a nice mix of serious with appropriately timed and themed humor.  As someone who follows Eschatology, I see where they're trying to go with this, and the fact that half the stuff they're citing isn't found anywhere in 'the Good Book'.  In spite of that, I'm intrigued.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #416 on: 15 October 2018, 09:09:21 »
If you're watching the original Blue Exorcist, keep in mind they came up with an anime original ending for that one. There's a recent Blue Exorcist series that picks up with the manga around where the first anime series split off. Bringing that up in case you proceed to the next series, so you arent to confused.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #417 on: 15 October 2018, 12:00:40 »
Goblin Slayer anime cuts scenes and some dialogue. Second episode also makes some changes, but nothing significant. Totally skipped the scene where an all-girl party went to rescue captured women from goblin fortress.

Also something occurred to me. Since all the humans aren't training with longbows, goblins aren't quite as serious threat as vikings were to England.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #418 on: 15 October 2018, 21:29:59 »
Also something occurred to me. Since all the humans aren't training with longbows, goblins aren't quite as serious threat as vikings were to England.
Huh? Wasn't that mainly the Welsh who rigorously train with the longbows?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #419 on: 15 October 2018, 21:38:19 »
Huh? Wasn't that mainly the Welsh who rigorously train with the longbows?

It was English longbowmen that dominated during the Hundred Year's War, although it was allegedly adopted by the English by Edward I, presumably from the Welsh. That does put it a little late for Vikings, I believe....