Author Topic: The Mad Cat III 2  (Read 2671 times)

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
  • Unofficial, sure. But better than nothing, right?
The Mad Cat III 2
« on: 13 January 2018, 09:28:43 »
Have official stats for the Timber Wolf III 2 (or Mad Cat III 2) been published anywhere yet? I interpreted the fluff in TRO: Prototypes to mean that it's armed with 2 Medium Pulse Lasers, 4 Micro Pulse Lasers and 4 SRM-6s with Artemis V FCSs. Is this correct?
Ever felt that The Powers That Were at FASA, WizKids and FanPro never gave Victor Steiner-Davion and the Federated Commonwealth a fair shake in the canon timeline? Then you might be interested in my Victor Victorious AU at

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65976.0

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Re: The Mad Cat III 2
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2018, 09:57:02 »
While I cannot comment on that one being right or wrong, simply because the RS has not yet been released, MegaMek has an MTF file for it, if memory serves.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2018, 10:41:18 »
While I cannot comment on that one being right or wrong, simply because the RS has not yet been released, MegaMek has an MTF file for it, if memory serves.

I don't have MegaMek, alas.
Ever felt that The Powers That Were at FASA, WizKids and FanPro never gave Victor Steiner-Davion and the Federated Commonwealth a fair shake in the canon timeline? Then you might be interested in my Victor Victorious AU at

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2018, 12:08:55 »
Point of Information: The Mad Cat III has never been called the Timber Wolf III.  It (and the Mk II) were Mad Cats from the word go.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2018, 15:25:34 »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2018, 23:43:19 »
I don't have MegaMek, alas.

You should get it, it is free!

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2018, 04:46:46 »
Point of Information: The Mad Cat III has never been called the Timber Wolf III.  It (and the Mk II) were Mad Cats from the word go.

And the Mk IV is actually called "Savage Wolf" by the Clans.

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2018, 22:04:32 »
And the Mk IV is actually called "Savage Wolf" by the Clans.

And the Mk 3.5 was actually called the "cute and cuddly wolf" but it was soon scrapped as it was not lethal at all to any enemy of the clans.

;)

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2018, 07:04:38 »
This thread has been entertaining, but... not very informative about the original subject  :(.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2018, 07:24:26 »
No the printed version did come out, it's just not the unabridged one with variants.  I don't personally own printed version since i was holding out for the unabridged version.  There a PDF version of the printed one though.

EDIT:  GOD! This thing came out in 2011!  I've been waiting 6 years for a Unabridged version!!
« Last Edit: 19 January 2018, 07:27:08 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2018, 08:19:54 »
I actually got turned around here, because I thought you meant the version from RS:DA with twin LRM-20s and heavy medium lasers.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2018, 06:16:17 »
No the printed version did come out, it's just not the unabridged one with variants.  I don't personally own printed version since i was holding out for the unabridged version.  There a PDF version of the printed one though.

The print version does not contain the RS for the variant, though. Only the base version.

This thread has been entertaining, but... not very informative about the original subject  :(.

I did give you a lot of information, you simply have to use it.

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2018, 12:40:44 »
I did give you a lot of information, you simply have to use it.

I stared blankly when I read this, not understanding what Dark ISI was talking about. I did some web searching and finally came up with a webpage at

https://github.uconn.edu/sag13030/CSE2102_HW2/blob/master/MegaMek2015/data/mechfiles/mechs/DarkAge/Mad%20Cat%20III%202.mtf

which contained the following stats:

Version:1.0
Mad Cat III

Config:Biped
TechBase:Clan
Era:3089
Rules Level:2

Mass:55
Engine:330 XL Engine
Structure:Endo Steel
Myomer:Standard

Heat Sinks:16 Double
Walk MP:6
Jump MP:5

Armor:Ferro-Fibrous
LA Armor:18
RA Armor:18
LT Armor:20
RT Armor:20
CT Armor:27
HD Armor:9
LL Armor:26
RL Armor:26
RTL Armor:6
RTR Armor:6
RTC Armor:9

Weapons:4
1 CLHeavyMediumLaser, Right Arm
1 CLHeavyMediumLaser, Left Arm
1 CLLRM20, Right Torso, Ammo:12
1 CLLRM20, Left Torso

Left Arm:
Shoulder
Upper Arm Actuator
Lower Arm Actuator
CLHeavyMediumLaser
CLHeavyMediumLaser
Ferro-Fibrous
Ferro-Fibrous
Ferro-Fibrous
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-

Right Arm:
Shoulder
Upper Arm Actuator
Lower Arm Actuator
CLDouble Heat Sink
CLDouble Heat Sink
CLHeavyMediumLaser
CLHeavyMediumLaser
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
-Empty-

Left Torso:
Fusion Engine
Fusion Engine
Jump Jet
Jump Jet
CLLRM20
CLLRM20
CLLRM20
CLLRM20
CLLRM20 Ammo
Ferro-Fibrous
Ferro-Fibrous
Ferro-Fibrous

Right Torso:
Fusion Engine
Fusion Engine
Jump Jet
Jump Jet
CLLRM20
CLLRM20
CLLRM20
CLLRM20
CLLRM20 Ammo
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
Endo Steel

Center Torso:
Fusion Engine
Fusion Engine
Fusion Engine
Gyro
Gyro
Gyro
Gyro
Fusion Engine
Fusion Engine
Fusion Engine
Jump Jet
Ferro-Fibrous

Head:
Life Support
Sensors
Cockpit
-Empty-
Sensors
Life Support
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-

Left Leg:
Hip
Upper Leg Actuator
Lower Leg Actuator
Foot Actuator
CLDouble Heat Sink
CLDouble Heat Sink
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-

Right Leg:
Hip
Upper Leg Actuator
Lower Leg Actuator
Foot Actuator
CLDouble Heat Sink
CLDouble Heat Sink
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-

Unfortunately, these are the stats for the Mad Cat III 2 from the Dark Age Record Sheets Pack (now referred to as the Mad Cat III 5), not the stats for the Mad Cat III 2 from TRO: Prototypes. So I'm still none the wiser as to the answer to my original question, which, to recap, was:

Have official stats for the Timber Wolf III 2 (or Mad Cat III 2) been published anywhere yet? I interpreted the fluff in TRO: Prototypes to mean that it's armed with 2 Medium Pulse Lasers, 4 Micro Pulse Lasers and 4 SRM-6s with Artemis V FCSs. Is this correct?

Can't anybody help me out here?  :(

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2018, 13:09:53 »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2018, 13:32:54 »

Just because no RS has been released yet, doesn't necessarily mean that nobody knows what the weapons and equipment loadout is, at least in general terms, surely?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2018, 14:11:50 »

Just because no RS has been released yet, doesn't necessarily mean that nobody knows what the weapons and equipment loadout is, at least in general terms, surely?

Without an official record sheet or TRO or similar entry, there is no official loadout...only what you can interpret from the fluff text and doing the math yourself.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 27 January 2018, 14:32:46 »
Without an official record sheet or TRO or similar entry, there is no official loadout...only what you can interpret from the fluff text and doing the math yourself.

Ruger

Yeah, I've done that. I was hoping someone could tell me if I've got it right or not.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #17 on: 27 January 2018, 14:58:52 »
Yeah, I've done that. I was hoping someone could tell me if I've got it right or not.

Let me phrase it differently:
I cannot tell you anything about a product that has not been released. Meaning, I cannot tell you, if you are right or wrong, even though I designed that 'Mech. But I pointed you to MegaMek.
Take whatever you want from that.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 27 January 2018, 15:07:14 »
what DarkISI is trying to say in a round about way is that even though he designed the unit in question, until an OFFICIAL writeup, TRO entry, and/or a record sheet is released there aren't "Official" configuration and layout specs to give out.  which means he can neither confirm, nor deny that you configured it "right" because until that occurs they aren't locked down.

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 27 January 2018, 15:57:10 »
what DarkISI is trying to say in a round about way is that even though he designed the unit in question, until an OFFICIAL writeup, TRO entry, and/or a record sheet is released there aren't "Official" configuration and layout specs to give out.  which means he can neither confirm, nor deny that you configured it "right" because until that occurs they aren't locked down.

Huh!

Bummer.

So are any of those acually likely to be released any time this millennium?