Author Topic: So.... These industrialmechs...  (Read 2830 times)

64mas

So.... These industrialmechs...
« on: 14 August 2011, 01:19:56 »
I was wondering if anyone actually used these things. I did up a few custom designs, but am afraid to use 'em. If anyone has some suggestions or the like on using these dark-age turd-fests at-least almost maybe effectively. Also, please don't just say "don't use them hurr-durr", I'm trying to find a place for these things on the battlefield. Thanks in advance,
-tom

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: So.... These industrialmechs...
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2011, 01:50:22 »
I've made a few with light ACS rocket launchers the can actually be effective support machines
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2011, 04:43:08 »
Well, I have no idea what your costum designs look like, so I cannot comment on their usefulness.

The few canon designs we have (and I am talking strictly of modified Mechs here, not Industrials designed for combat like the Quasit or Arbiter) are interesting to play.

Designs like the Harvester Ant (MG) chew through infantry at frightening speed, and for 127 BV it is a bargain. The LRM version brings two LRM 5 onto the table for 215 BV- again, not too bad. Jumping to the heavier designs there is the PPC armed Buster Hauler Mech- fielding a PPC was never cheaper. The ATAE 70M Uni has two AC 5 and two SRM 4 and enough armor to be annoying- as long as no weepon beats the BAR of 5  :D.

My point is that armed industrials have their place and use, but cannot compete with a Battlemech one on one. Some have only BAR 5 armor, others rather inefficient cooling systems, their ICE engines might stall and all are more fragile, easier to crit.

Still I love them. Fun to play, especially in scenarios.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2011, 10:50:00 »
DemolitionMechs are fun in an urban city and we unleashed two MiningMechs on the players in an ambush. They didn't do all that well from concentrated fire but got a swing in each and slowed them down.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2011, 10:35:01 »
I dont have many metals yet , but when using clicky scale I have great fun using them in campaigns & scenarios. I like the forestry mechs & mining mechs the best.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2011, 10:57:28 »
Back when they first came out, I tried them..... and as I learned almost immediately, they are not mechs..... at least not in the sense that you can use them as a heavy weapon platform in the forefront of your fight. You have to treat them like SRM carriers... useful and dangerous, but only if there is something else more dangerous to shoot at to keep the heat off of them.

They are ok for support, but they cannot take the heat of a stand up fight... not even against other Industrials...... but for herding infantry, and providing some mobility to an autocannon or LRM assembly, they do fairly well.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2011, 12:05:53 »
I have used armed industrials in some testing for Operation Klondike games, they are actually pretty nasty if you underestimate them
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2011, 04:28:12 »
Love them. Using them in my Mummerset campaign. They are the equivalent of modern day Toyota Technicals as found in third world wars today. Won't stand up to a proper military vehicle, but are more than adequate as gun platforms.
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

64mas

« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2011, 06:59:40 »
Thanks guys, this really helped. For the most part, what you're sayin is that they're support platforms, not mechs. Am I getting that right?

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2011, 08:20:39 »
They are Mechs, just fragile, slow ones. Lets say they are to 3025 Mechs what 3025 Mechs are to 3060 Mechs.

IMO the biggest problem is that they were introduced into the game (not the universe) too late- during the 3rd Sucession War even BAR 5 Armor could stop many weapons. A standard Wolverine or Shad would have a hard time piercing the armored shell of an ATAE 70M while it could give as good as it takes (2 AC 5 and 2 SRM4? Not bad at that time). There were less BFGs around- heavy and assault class ACs, large Lasers and PPCs were quite rare and often something you saw only on the heavier designs. Nowadays there are Lights with headcappers.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2011, 08:23:51 by Martius »

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2011, 09:41:41 »
One on one with a battlemech they are trash.  12 on one and they rule.  Remember the old swarm taticts, these are the units for them.  Find some where where moment is restricted and ranges or short and they can be killers. But never think of them as real mechs.