Author Topic: Need Roman history and MH advisors for a fanfic; Hegemon working thread  (Read 7517 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Since I have an entire week of camping without access to books or electronics and a pack of special-needs kids that need to survive the experience, I've decided to waste the time putting together a short story, about 30 K words, all handwritten (or at least an outline for) a story set in the Marian Hegemony just after 3150, to take advantage of all the dark age material.  The problem is, my new computer doesn't have a CD drive.  All my purchases books were backed up on CD, and the gaps in information on Sarna are big enough to drive trucks through.

So.  I have plot-specific questions I need short, accurate answers for about the situation in the hegemony.  Not just the basic ones about production lines, etc, that I can use Sarna for, but the really oddball ones.  Any volunteers?
« Last Edit: 14 August 2022, 14:36:41 by Red Pins »
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Need Roman history and Marian Hegemony advisors for a fanfic
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2022, 05:49:53 »
I know a guy who's pretty good with Roman history... not so much Marian.  If you have specific questions before you head off grid, I might be able to get answers for you quickly enough.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2022, 06:41:54 »
I finish my work day and see if I can give you a hand with that Red Pins
That the Fluff from 3145 to 3150 is quite chaotic and changing, in terms of Production Lines it is the million dollar question that we Marians ask ourselves, something could be theorized if it is for a game of Atow or Destiny but nothing too official

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2022, 18:11:08 »
I have a bit of background with Roman history. My history of the Marians is pretty out of date, though.

What kind of history support would you need? Sociological, political, technical? And--more to the point--what times are of interest to you. There is a world of difference between the early and late republic, let alone between Caesar and Justinian, for examples.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2022, 18:14:44 »
Much less between either Republic and the Empire!  ^-^

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2022, 18:50:10 »
Well, it depends on the depth you want to give the story, it can be done in several ways, seen from the vision of a Casa Patricia Minor in search of renown, of Commoners with knowledge and military experience (Privatters, Ex Mercs, Militiamen etc), or of a Casa Patricia Mayor that offers patronage in exchange for tasks or jobs

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2022, 05:09:10 »
So.  I have plot-specific questions I need short, accurate answers for about the situation in the hegemony.  Not just the basic ones about production lines, etc, that I can use Sarna for, but the really oddball ones.  Any volunteers?
Got a PhD in Greco-Roman history, if I can be of any service, just pop me questions. Here or per DM, whatever helps.
liber et infractus

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2022, 17:25:01 »
Cool!  You could probably start a thread in Off Topic just for history questions...  ^-^

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2022, 03:16:44 »
Ok.  Sarna is my only reference right now, along with a hardcopy of Major Periphery States.  All the pdfs are essentially useless right now, until I can get an external read/write CD-rom drive.  (Really not happy about that.  Might have to buy a THIRD external drive.)

I appreciate the help on these topics;

*Succession - if he's supported by the I Legio and Ceremonial Guards (TRO: 3085), he's in.  Might show respect to the senate in a speech.  They'll hail him if he has the support of the military.

*Palace - Does he have a specific, ceremonial home like the white house, or what?  Any description of such a formal residence, or can I just fluff it the way I choose?

Current military production - I'm specifically looking for units produced by Hegemony firms.  I have the MUL page for the Hegemony bookmarked, but its slow going.  I'm aware of the P-Centurion, I know they were modifying Locusts, but I don't see any other info.  Any info on production and manufacturing facilities would be appreciated, because a Primitive manufacturing site will be part of the story.

*Is there an annual address by the Caesar to the Hegemony?  Something like a 'state of the union' address?

*Is Nova Roma still radioactive?  Online research says due to the use of tritium in RL weapons, the half-life was about 12 years, and online conversations claim you could use it safely within days or months.  I've decided to fluff it as an anti-material improvement from SLDF researchers, intended to keep equipment from use for decades.

Its late, and I have to finish researching by Thursday night, or I'll have to just wing it.  Thanks for helping!
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2022, 07:07:48 »
Cool!  You could probably start a thread in Off Topic just for history questions...  ^-^
I think we could do that if there's a distinct question to start with.  ^-^
liber et infractus

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2022, 07:41:42 »
Ok.  Sarna is my only reference right now, along with a hardcopy of Major Periphery States.  All the pdfs are essentially useless right now, until I can get an external read/write CD-rom drive.  (Really not happy about that.  Might have to buy a THIRD external drive.)

I appreciate the help on these topics;

*Succession - if he's supported by the I Legio and Ceremonial Guards (TRO: 3085), he's in.  Might show respect to the senate in a speech.  They'll hail him if he has the support of the military.

*Palace - Does he have a specific, ceremonial home like the white house, or what?  Any description of such a formal residence, or can I just fluff it the way I choose?

Current military production - I'm specifically looking for units produced by Hegemony firms.  I have the MUL page for the Hegemony bookmarked, but its slow going.  I'm aware of the P-Centurion, I know they were modifying Locusts, but I don't see any other info.  Any info on production and manufacturing facilities would be appreciated, because a Primitive manufacturing site will be part of the story.

*Is there an annual address by the Caesar to the Hegemony?  Something like a 'state of the union' address?

*Is Nova Roma still radioactive?  Online research says due to the use of tritium in RL weapons, the half-life was about 12 years, and online conversations claim you could use it safely within days or months.  I've decided to fluff it as an anti-material improvement from SLDF researchers, intended to keep equipment from use for decades.

Its late, and I have to finish researching by Thursday night, or I'll have to just wing it.  Thanks for helping!

let's go by parts

The Succession of Caesar should normally have the support of the MHAF and the Senate representing the patricians, remember that it should have been done when Cassius, Julius O'Really's son, was considered successor.

The Ceremonial House or O'Really Palace would be the most normal, a fairly fortified place on the outskirts of Nova Roma could have been built beyond the Ceremonial in the same city (you know after the Jihad Experience the Palace for daily use must be out of town)

More than Cesar's Birthday for a style speech that you say more I see that it would be the Day that the Marian Hegemony was founded or when it is commemorated that the first O'Relly landed in Alphard

If we talk about Production Places at 3145 it is quite easy

Alphard : Marian Arms Manufactures the RL Locust and the 4H Commando (although some sources pass this on to ATC but I think it's a mistake), there are rumors that they make more mechs but I'll have to wait to see it
Apart from that Marian Arms and the ATC make various tanks in Alphard and weapons of all kinds for those tanks
Then there is Addhara there not only tanks and Battlemechs are manufactured but there is one of the Armor Factories of the Hegemony where Standard Armor, Ferro Fibroso and Advanced Armor are manufactured for BA (Read the improvements of the Ravager of LRM)
Horatius is the BA Factory of the Marian Arms Hegemony
Then we have Pompey where Tanks and weapons are manufactured for them, in addition to the only confirmed fighter that the Hegemony manufactures since 3077 the Shilone all made by Hadrian Industries
Then there is the ATC Factory in Illyria where they make BAs that we don't know what they are.
And finally, there are the Baccalieu Workshops of the Techwizards where all those vehicles, ASF, Mechs or DS that the Hegemoni wins as Salvage are recovered, I would also consider more than likely that Techwizards is dedicated to making the Refits of old models to RL versions or More modern versions have been doing that since the Hegemony was founded.

Theoretically, in the time of Cassius, that is, around 3085, the Senate building and the O'Reilly City Palace had already been completely cleaned, as well as the Colegium Bellorum, which was expanded in size at that time.
So it is more than possible that by 3145 the city will have been fully purged of radioactive problems.
The factories are not in Nova Roma so the teams were not affected although they lost part of their staff who lived in the city

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2022, 23:52:37 »
Thanks, Adacas.  I'll be adding these little details to my notes.  I should have more questions tomorrow when I work further ahead.

So far, I'm trying something different and planning subjective 3-6 month plot threads; I figure, if it works for Drakensis, may as well try it.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2022, 10:23:22 »
Thanks, Adacas.  I'll be adding these little details to my notes.  I should have more questions tomorrow when I work further ahead.

So far, I'm trying something different and planning subjective 3-6 month plot threads; I figure, if it works for Drakensis, may as well try it.

Well waiting for what you need, if you have more questions shoot

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2022, 17:48:13 »
Don't forget to vary that length as necessary... like Drakensis does...  ^-^

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 27 July 2022, 22:54:37 »
Don't forget to vary that length as necessary... like Drakensis does...  ^-^

No...  I have a week of enforced idleness camping, no electronics allowed (even for just typing), so what gets done is going to be it unless I'm really enjoying it.

I have Fri -Sat to paint a fence, prep the pop-up camper, clean up the garage a bit, then a day to unpack, clean, put away and a day to recover from a week with my kids and start typing but then it's 15-minute breaks at work to get it typed out.
I've been sick or injured every summer for the last couple years, so I've got an insane amount of work to do this year.  And my original project to keep plugging away at.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2022, 03:19:10 »
Best of luck, then!  :thumbsup:

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #16 on: 28 July 2022, 16:34:15 »
- - - Domestic Production Marian Hegemony- - -
Locust LCT-1V2
Commando COM-4H
Icarus ICR-1X move to ICR-2S ?
Centurion CN9-H move to CN9-H2H and H3
Gladiator GLD-1R move to GLD-5R?
Emperor EMP-1A move to EMP-6A?

Tanks
 APC's, Maultier, Harasser, J.E. Hover, Gladius, Gladius II, Fulcrum, Testudo, SRM, Laser, AC2 Carrier, Hvy LRM Carrier (was in the works as of 3085)

BA
Marauder and Ravager

Fighters
Shilone
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 28 July 2022, 21:23:48 »
Best of luck, then!  :thumbsup:

...And my wife just told me I have to go shopping all day tomorrow for 'food and stuff'.  I am so tempted to remind her equality means her butt and the kids outside in 30+ degree heat with sanding blocks too, but at least the stores will have AC and with their help I can at least prep for priming and painting when I get back.

- - - Domestic Production Marian Hegemony- - -
Locust LCT-1V2
Commando COM-4H
Icarus ICR-1X move to ICR-2S ?
Centurion CN9-H move to CN9-H2H and H3
Gladiator GLD-1R move to GLD-5R?
Emperor EMP-1A move to EMP-6A?

Tanks
 APC's, Maultier, Harasser, J.E. Hover, Gladius, Gladius II, Fulcrum, Testudo, SRM, Laser, AC2 Carrier, Hvy LRM Carrier (was in the works as of 3085)

BA
Marauder and Ravager

Fighters
Shilone

How long were the Icarus, Centurion, Gladiator, and Emperor in production?  Is there anything known about production numbers of these designs?  And who were the domestic manufacturers?

I have 1-2 chapter introduction worked out, hopefully I can finish it before leaving.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 28 July 2022, 22:03:50 »
...I put a cat in the story, since I know the legions brought cats to guard their supplies from pests - I was wondering if there was a there a Cat monster in the Roman mythos.

If not, what would you nickname a scarred old mouser in latin?

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2022, 08:28:38 »
That is all domestic production.  No info on production numbers, the primitives started during the Jihad. I am guessing they moved to more modern versions between then and 3150.

I will have to dig up who makes what.

The only cat like monster I can think of is the Chimera.  Maybe the Lion Hercules wrestled had a name.
« Last Edit: 30 July 2022, 20:21:46 by Saint »
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2022, 09:38:53 »
MARIAN ARMS, INCORPORATED
Main Products: Gladius and Maultier (and other APC) hovertanks; Centurion, Emperor, Gladiator and Icarus (Primitive) BattleMechs, Marauder II and Whitworth BattleMech refits

ALPHARD TRADING CORPORATION
Main Products: Commando, Locust BattleMechs, Centurion (Primitive) BattleMech, Fulcrum and J. Edgar hovertanks

HADRIAN MECHANIZED INDUSTRIES
Main Products: Heavy LRM Carrier, SRM, Laser and AC/2 Carrier vehicles, APCs, Harasser hovercraft, and Shilone aerospace fighters

Added the Locust and Commando, per Feild Manual 3085 page 134.

Updated!!!
« Last Edit: 29 July 2022, 18:21:24 by Saint »

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #21 on: 29 July 2022, 10:25:27 »
...I put a cat in the story, since I know the legions brought cats to guard their supplies from pests - I was wondering if there was a there a Cat monster in the Roman mythos.

If not, what would you nickname a scarred old mouser in latin?

Cats served Trivia the Roman version of Hecate
The Romans appreciated their independence and their company
In the Legions they were appreciated for the theme of luck and because as a pet it was independent and procured its own food, therefore they took care of the food in the camps, also prowling at night made the sentinels more alert
We all know how noisy they are at night because of their fights and any sentinel knew that if the cats didn't fight or meow something happened

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #22 on: 29 July 2022, 10:29:39 »
MARIAN ARMS, INCORPORATED
Main Products: Gladius and Maultier (and other APC) hovertanks; Centurion, Emperor, Gladiator and Icarus (Primitive) BattleMechs, Marauder II and Whitworth BattleMech refits

ALPHARD TRADING CORPORATION
Main Products: Centurion (Primitive) BattleMech, Fulcrum and J. Edgar hovertanks

HADRIAN MECHANIZED INDUSTRIES
Main Products: Heavy LRM Carrier, SRM, Laser and AC/2 Carrier vehicles, APCs, Harasser hovercraft, and Shilone aerospace fighters

Got to dig for the Locust  and Commando, I believe they are in one of the 3085 source books.

Good condensation of Hegemony production data has helped me guess where the development mentioned in the last Rats that appeared will fall.
Hoping of course that there are more products and that they classify the theme of the Goblin and the Schreck

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 29 July 2022, 17:20:09 »
If I remember right, Heracles fought the Nemean Lion...  8)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #24 on: 30 July 2022, 18:29:49 »
it is also worth noting that the Marian use of roman elements is that of an enthusiast applying it to systems which are not particularly Roman. so you can get away with less than historical roman elements, since it would be based as much if not more on the pop-culture understanding of the Roman Empire, filtered through 3000 years of both popular depictions and scholarship.

(not to mention that the writers of the game are little more than enthusiasts themselves, filtering Roman things through 2000 years of depictions)

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 31 July 2022, 00:37:13 »
...I see there isn't really an established educational system in the Hegemony - the MPS entry notes the basic (elementry?) 1-12 seems to be poorly funded and supported, although a 'rigorous leaving exam' and 'a pilot program of government grants to provide higher education' are mentioned.  (Building a nation: Education Reform, pg 165-166)

Really?  No university-level educational facilities in the fluff?

I'm hoping somebody can correct me, but if there isn't anything I intend to invent one; can someone suggest something?

Notes; based on Alphard, students from across the Hegemony, Collegium Belorum students/serving military personnel, applicants from across the Periphery and IS, etc.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 31 July 2022, 06:42:52 »
it is also worth noting that the Marian use of roman elements is that of an enthusiast applying it to systems which are not particularly Roman. so you can get away with less than historical roman elements, since it would be based as much if not more on the pop-culture understanding of the Roman Empire, filtered through 3000 years of both popular depictions and scholarship.

(not to mention that the writers of the game are little more than enthusiasts themselves, filtering Roman things through 2000 years of depictions)

So you could have a quote like "it's as Roman as apple pie"?

(Did that for another story, but made it 'as Chinese as apple pie', because people found historical documents showing apple pie in Chinese buffets and made the 'obvious' connection)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 31 July 2022, 06:51:16 »
I think "SPQR" is the Roman version of that...

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 31 July 2022, 10:21:55 »
Um.  Posted a 1-page snippet as a thank you, it seems to have been deleted.  If you'd like to read it, send a PM - I leave Monday morning, so I have an extra day to type.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #29 on: 31 July 2022, 10:34:03 »
Um.  Posted a 1-page snippet as a thank you, it seems to have been deleted.  If you'd like to read it, send a PM - I leave Monday morning, so I have an extra day to type.

I hope that what I sent you by pm gave you some help/idea for the game

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #30 on: 31 July 2022, 10:48:59 »
Oh, absolutely.   >:D  But its going to take time to get there, which is a funny thing to say given he became Ceasar on page 1.  Not what he expected to happen waking up that morning, I'd say.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #31 on: 31 July 2022, 12:12:47 »
If you have time send me sheet 1 so I can read it
As for Higher Education, the only thing mentioned is the Bellorum and perhaps something in Baccalieu since the Techwizards train their people.
But give him some love and create a complete University would be the most logical

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 31 July 2022, 12:35:03 »
By the by I'm a Lothian partisan, so you know... take my input with THAT grain of salt...  :D

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 31 July 2022, 14:25:08 »
"All roads lead to Neuva Roma."  One day, we shall travel these roads together, for the glory of the Caesar!

Until then, Adacus, PM sent.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #34 on: 31 July 2022, 17:18:50 »
Thanks!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 05 August 2022, 20:06:03 »
I'm back.  Camping with kids is nothing like going on Ex for the weekend, btw.

Lots of culture questions, not many Game-info stuff, I'll be starting to type it up in a day or two, have to start laundry, trailer cleaning, all the good stuff.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #37 on: 06 August 2022, 05:22:44 »
I'm back.  Camping with kids is nothing like going on Ex for the weekend, btw.

Lots of culture questions, not many Game-info stuff, I'll be starting to type it up in a day or two, have to start laundry, trailer cleaning, all the good stuff.

Your question what you need and if you need more patrician families to give more background color I have another 30 of variable sizes and interests

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 06 August 2022, 10:20:12 »
No, minor background stuff.

You know, I think there's a lack of MH fiction because of all the holes.  Just enough to sound cool would be ok, but I'm constantly trying to balance 'nuts in sheets' and 'crazy militaristic ancient romans'.  You just about need a  english-latin dictionary and a BT Hegemony sourcebook to try writing anything, and I already have an on-going project.I

So far, I'm writing it as 'Day: X ', three days in after the MC becomes Caesar, but it's very top-heavy, as I think of these things.  I'm sure people will either love or hate it.  I plan to reach 'Day: 7' and end it there, but beyond the most obvious - Primitive tech, assassin, and giant conspiracy to remove the O'Reillys.  Maybe a bit about Neuva Roma being declared safe to use and prompting a boom.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #39 on: 06 August 2022, 10:25:26 »
No, minor background stuff.

You know, I think there's a lack of MH fiction because of all the holes.  Just enough to sound cool would be ok, but I'm constantly trying to balance 'nuts in sheets' and 'crazy militaristic ancient romans'.  You just about need a  english-latin dictionary and a BT Hegemony sourcebook to try writing anything, and I already have an on-going project.I

So far, I'm writing it as 'Day: X ', three days in after the MC becomes Caesar, but it's very top-heavy, as I think of these things.  I'm sure people will either love or hate it.  I plan to reach 'Day: 7' and end it there, but beyond the most obvious - Primitive tech, assassin, and giant conspiracy to remove the O'Reillys.  Maybe a bit about Neuva Roma being declared safe to use and prompting a boom.

Send me if you want your concerns by pm and I'll review my notes from my 4-year Marian Campaign, I may have material there that will be useful to you

Yes, and if you're right, not having stories written from a Marian perspective other than a small one in Fall of Illyria leaves too many gaps in pretty much everything.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 12 August 2022, 01:21:06 »
Alright, I've begun typing up the handwritten pages and expanding some of the different scenes and ideas to present Cyrus O'Reilly, second son and heir of Ignatius O'Reilly as he survives his father and older brothers death in a helicopter accident and an assassin in the Palace who kills his mother before dying at the hand of the Ceremonial Guards.  The story is a first-person viewpoint, and will be about 7 chapters, each of a single day, covering the first couple days as he ascends to Ceasar of the Hegemony,and then stretching out to allow for time and further development.  Rough estimates is to end the final chapter on the anniversary of his family's death with a marriage announcement and maybe a follow-up story sometime if I need a smaller project to distract me from the bigger stuff and RL issues.

I'd like to invite people who want to be involved in correcting my poor understanding of Hegemony society to PM me with advice.  I'd prefer to do chapters (Or 'Day: X', in this case.) of 4-5,000 words, correct mistakes in terms of, well, terms, background, and existing canon information before I put it up on the website's fan fiction page.

Not much to offer as an incentive, other than 'Thanks to' and a desire to read something about an interesting faction.

Adacas, I'm sending you the first page or two (Please, let me know what you think.) and the first question is; would the Ceasar's family have politically important women of important families acting as maids to the Ceasar's wife?  I'm thinking they might, both as a lure to marry someone in the Ceasar's Familia or a noble advisor and as a convenient 'honored guest' in case of treason.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #41 on: 12 August 2022, 04:03:43 »
Alright, I've begun typing up the handwritten pages and expanding some of the different scenes and ideas to present Cyrus O'Reilly, second son and heir of Ignatius O'Reilly as he survives his father and older brothers death in a helicopter accident and an assassin in the Palace who kills his mother before dying at the hand of the Ceremonial Guards.  The story is a first-person viewpoint, and will be about 7 chapters, each of a single day, covering the first couple days as he ascends to Ceasar of the Hegemony,and then stretching out to allow for time and further development.  Rough estimates is to end the final chapter on the anniversary of his family's death with a marriage announcement and maybe a follow-up story sometime if I need a smaller project to distract me from the bigger stuff and RL issues.

I'd like to invite people who want to be involved in correcting my poor understanding of Hegemony society to PM me with advice.  I'd prefer to do chapters (Or 'Day: X', in this case.) of 4-5,000 words, correct mistakes in terms of, well, terms, background, and existing canon information before I put it up on the website's fan fiction page.

Not much to offer as an incentive, other than 'Thanks to' and a desire to read something about an interesting faction.

Adacas, I'm sending you the first page or two (Please, let me know what you think.) and the first question is; would the Ceasar's family have politically important women of important families acting as maids to the Ceasar's wife?  I'm thinking they might, both as a lure to marry someone in the Ceasar's Familia or a noble advisor and as a convenient 'honored guest' in case of treason.

Ok, no problem. Regarding the subject of a member of the patriciate working as an assistant, it could be the case of Middle-Range Families, a Patrician Family of Power would place its members in the Structure of the MHAF, Marian Arms Inc, the ATC or the Diplomatic or Cultural Corps of the Hegemony.
It even occurred to me that House O'Reilly had created a program for young patricians from less famous families as a way to balance the balance of power between the different houses.
In the case of a family of power it could well be as you say, that someone they want as the wife of one of their children is taken into the service of the Wife of Cesar, perhaps there would even be a pre-agreement of houses to marry her with the Brother of Cyrus, and now the responsibility should fall to him, to fulfill the deal or not but there would always be consequences of a cancellation remember those agreements with "marries the Heir"

I have some more ideas but I send them to you by PM

Red Pins

• Major
I had to start putting stuff out because I'm running out of time, but if people could read it and help keep me kinda on track I'd appreciate it.  I've decided Hegemon was a good-sounding title, and its in the fan fiction forum.

Red Pins

• Major
...How are the common citizens of the MH referred to?  Mr. and Mrs.?  Pleb (surname)?  What?

idea weenie

• Major
I had to start putting stuff out because I'm running out of time, but if people could read it and help keep me kinda on track I'd appreciate it.  I've decided Hegemon was a good-sounding title, and its in the fan fiction forum.

Here's a link to Hegemon so people can go directly to it

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
...How are the common citizens of the MH referred to?  Mr. and Mrs.?  Pleb (surname)?  What?

The theme of the courtesy names or titles could be very varied from the Formal of Courtesy for the position that they have to the daily formal, and it can even be in both main castes that are the Patricians and Plebeians
Slaves with each other by name and with either of the other two castes as Lord or Master failing that.
A more colloquial treatment cannot be ruled out between a master and a slave who have known each other all their lives or who have a more intimate relationship (it happened in Rome, it could happen in the Hegemony)

Red Pins

• Major
A couple fast questions;

How would the Caesar address the two civilian heads of the Ordo Vigilis and Internal Security, in a meeting of his father's privy council (Speaking of, what would the Council's name be?)

How would people address the dead assassin?  Her family are Patricians.  'Lady (last name)?'   How would the Caesar address her parents before sending them to be executed?

What, actually, is the salute of the MHAF?  Stand at attention, raise your arm - do they yell, "Hail Caesar", or what?  I've pencilled in a scene where Cyrus pulls a knife from his robes and slashes the Imperator across the belly, grabs him by the chin and lays it on the mans jugular while threatening to kill him and his family and burying him with the assassin, etc.  (Bandit king stuff.)

Would they yell," Hail, Caesar", after he does it it or stay silent?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
"Ave Caesar" is probably better, assuming that's the proper salute.

Red Pins

• Major
Ugh, my Google-fu has failed me.  I see lots of rewrites in my future.  I need 2500 words at a minimum to finish chapter one, and it's starting to look like Hegemony culture was put in a blender and this popped out.  Wish there was more source info on miscellaneous stuff like this.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
A couple fast questions;

How would the Caesar address the two civilian heads of the Ordo Vigilis and Internal Security, in a meeting of his father's privy council (Speaking of, what would the Council's name be?)

How would people address the dead assassin?  Her family are Patricians.  'Lady (last name)?'   How would the Caesar address her parents before sending them to be executed?

What, actually, is the salute of the MHAF?  Stand at attention, raise your arm - do they yell, "Hail Caesar", or what?  I've pencilled in a scene where Cyrus pulls a knife from his robes and slashes the Imperator across the belly, grabs him by the chin and lays it on the mans jugular while threatening to kill him and his family and burying him with the assassin, etc.  (Bandit king stuff.)

Would they yell," Hail, Caesar", after he does it it or stay silent?

1) Interior Council, Internal Security Council as you want is fine, you could put it in Latin.

2) The Assassins and Traitors automatically lose the titles or classes that identify them, they are treated by name in the best of cases
As for the punishment, in these cases it is always death, both for the executor and for his patrician house.

3) The Greeting is "Ave Cesar" as you have already been mentioned.
That Cyrus O'Reilly does that lowers him, as a good Marian he knows that it is better to give examples, the chemical interrogation is more reliable than cutting it down
And the public Execution on the cross of the Imperator and his entire house is a very clear fact that no one, whatever his social class, is far from the Justice of Caesar.

4) The assent to the order of Cesar could vary according to the rank, low ranking officers of the MHAF could be assent and abide by the order
A superior officer "Whatever you order My Cesar"
A Senator or political office "This is how His Highness will do it"

Red Pins

• Major
For the latin-educated, I'm using a couple latin terms.  Are these acceptable?

Consilium Securitatis – Security Council
Collegium Bellorum Imperium – Imperial War College
Universitas Alphard – University of Alphard
Cubicula – council chambers
Officium Caesaris – Office of the Caesar, similar to ‘Office of the Prime Minister’
Scriba Caesaris – Scribe of the Caesar, member of the Office, personal aide

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
For the latin-educated, I'm using a couple latin terms.  Are these acceptable?

Consilium Securitatis – Security Council
Collegium Bellorum Imperium – Imperial War College
Universitas Alphard – University of Alphard
Cubicula – council chambers
Officium Caesaris – Office of the Caesar, similar to ‘Office of the Prime Minister’
Scriba Caesaris – Scribe of the Caesar, member of the Office, personal aide

Literally off memory, the cubicula was a room in a higher-class/status home. Think of it like a combination bedroom, office, and prayer room and you'd be on the right track.

You may or may not find this helpful, but here is a reasonable (but brief and directed) discussion on Roman government buildings:

https://brewminate.com/administrative-and-government-buildings-of-the-roman-forum/#:~:text=Comitium%20%E2%80%93%20The%20Comitium%20is%20where%20all%20official,including%20the%20Curis%20%28the%20Senate%20house%29%20and%20theRostra.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

Red Pins

• Major
Thanks.  So, do these make sense to you, or an I just making weird sounding gibberish up here?

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
Thanks.  So, do these make sense to you, or an I just making weird sounding gibberish up here?

The terms as far as possible are correct as they tell you the term Cubicula is somewhat ambiguous for a public office

Concilium interiore could be the term for that advice you mention

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Re: Need Roman history and MH advisors for a fanfic; Hegemon working thread
« Reply #54 on: 03 September 2022, 09:40:17 »

Once you allow the magic of a couple thousand years of human advancement, anything become possible when it comes to the use of language, especially when the milieu in question is a popular view of Rome undertaken consciously by the borrowers that are removed by those thousands of years (both in time and space).

So, sure, those terms are just as valid as anything else.

Take a run through this site to look up a lot of useful terms and situations: https://www.thoughtco.com/roman-terms-glossary-120761

It is not exhaustive, but gives you something to work from, certainly.
--A. Duritz

Red Pins

• Major
Re: Need Roman history and MH advisors for a fanfic; Hegemon working thread
« Reply #55 on: 03 September 2022, 18:16:36 »
I've gotten to the point of just avoiding them, or using the English to Latin translation online to come up with something, but thanks.  Halfway done Day 2, still working but hoping to have it done this weekend!

Register