Author Topic: Harmony Gold legal case discussion thread  (Read 89536 times)

Charistoph

• Major
Re: Harmony Gold legal case discussion thread
« Reply #510 on: 24 June 2018, 23:50:29 »
Settlement implies payments and ongoing stipulations. As far as we can tell, there was none of that. Just an agreement to end legal proceedings. The word settlement wasn't even used in the last docket.

Implication means nothing.  If the case is settled without going to trial, that is a settlement and the end of litigation.  The specific type of settlement can be argued, obviously, and I don't think anyone was suggesting that it was a structured settlement, just an agreed upon end of the litigation prior to going to trial.  That is sufficient for Law.com's definition as provided by the People's Law Dictionary by Gerald and Kathleen Hill, along with other legal websites quickly googled.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #511 on: 25 June 2018, 00:06:39 »
I'm glad things have worked out now that we are down to the point of arguing over trivialities such as the technicalities of what is or isn't a settlement for lack of anything to worry about,

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #512 on: 25 June 2018, 02:50:07 »
Implication means nothing.  If the case is settled without going to trial, that is a settlement and the end of litigation.  The specific type of settlement can be argued, obviously, and I don't think anyone was suggesting that it was a structured settlement, just an agreed upon end of the litigation prior to going to trial.  That is sufficient for Law.com's definition as provided by the People's Law Dictionary by Gerald and Kathleen Hill, along with other legal websites quickly googled.
I think that abou does have a point, in this forum I have seen people go completely nuts on the basis of reading some words in the worst possible light.
And a structured settlement is what most people think off when hearing settlement.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #513 on: 25 June 2018, 03:01:49 »

So why is there a long argument about what a "settlement" is when we have the document available to us telling us what was agreed to by both parties?  You know, a settlement.

The case was settled by dropping the case with prejudice and paying legal fees.  That's the stipulation.  That's arguably the best outcome HG could have hoped for.  It's over.  If there was any other settlement it would have been referenced in this document even if it was kept from the public and blacked out.

So at this point, speculating is a waste of time.

Easiest way to put it, for those of us who watched the BattleTech cartoon:  HG isn't going to pull a Nicolai Malthus by honoring an agreement to the letter and taking all the people off MY HOME PLANET.  The wording is clear and concise.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #514 on: 25 June 2018, 05:07:45 »
...it isn't valid fair use...

Sorry, I have to call this out. "Fair Use" only covers limited reproduction of copyrighted material for the purposes of review or education. If I quote a paragraph of your novel to criticize it, or to teach a class, then that is Fair Use. It has absolutely nothing to do with making copies for commercial sale.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #515 on: 25 June 2018, 06:28:23 »
Thank Kerensky that is over.

A plain language explanation:

There were talks, they resulted in an agreement placed before the judge of dismissal with prejudice, with no voluntary elements listed.  This means that once Judge Zilly signs the documentation in its current form IT IS OVER.  Harmony Gold can never come back at any of the Battletech developers, including Catalyst Games Labs and no restrictions or caveats are placed.  Some monies may have changed hands indirectly, but there is no deal made or required to keep the reseen on or off the table.

I do not know how this effects the resolution of earlier legal agreements, but Harmony Gold cannot in any way come after Catalyst Games Labs, Piranha Games or Harebreained Schemes for the use of the reseen variants of the following designs:

Stinger, Wasp, Phoenix Hawk, Valkyrie, Rifleman, Archer, Warhammer, Marauder and Longbow.

Other reseen mechs such as Locust (Crusher Joe) and Shadow Hawk, Thunderbolt, Battlemaster (Dougram) amongst others were never under threat due to prior friendly agreements with the IP holders of the unseen designs.

We know that there are models made for Warhammer and Marauder for HBS Battletech computer game.  The legal wording means that these can be used.  Whether the Macross derivative reseen will in fact be used I cannot say, but it is now just a question of which mechs to code, not which mechs can be legally included.  A business decision rather than a legal one.

There may still be terms restrictions on discussing settlements active from earlier lawsuits,  I dont now if those terms are still valid, and I cannot assume that the original unseen are in any way available, those rights still belong to their respective IP holders, which may or may not include Harmony Gold.

However at current state of play the reseen are now free from legal controversy from Harmony Gold, and Harmony Gold is prohibited from going after them again.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #516 on: 25 June 2018, 10:02:35 »
Effectively the reseen redesigns were published here:
1st Succession War - Locust, Wasp, Valkyrie, Wolverine, Shadow Hawk
2nd Succession War - Griffin, Thunderbolt, BattleMaster
Combat Manual Mercenaries - Locust, Ostscout, Shadow Hawk, Warhammer (Marauder on cover)
Combat Manual Kurita - Wasp, Phoenix Hawk, Wolverine, BattleMaster
The Longbow, is probably safe as long as the 3058 version gets trotted out.

Rifleman and Archer both have 'Primitive' variants. Not ideal, but eh. Much better if the nuseen Archer and Rifleman get used but I'll take what I can get.

Effectively, unless I'm mistaken, this means the remaining currently unpublished Unseen designs are the Goliath, Scorpion, Ostroc and Ostsol with the two Ost designs being... well... sort of... if you squint, derivative of the Regult.

I'd be mad happy to see redesigns of the last four.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2018, 10:09:41 by Dies Irae »

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #517 on: 25 June 2018, 10:09:23 »
You forgot the Crusader. Though it was a WIP when the HG trolling started.
Though personally, I just want to see the remaining Unseen/Reseen get the Classic treatment and get those published as soon as feasible.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #518 on: 25 June 2018, 10:10:25 »
You forgot the Crusader. Though it was a WIP when the HG trolling started.
Though personally, I just want to see the remaining Unseen/Reseen get the Classic treatment and get those published as soon as feasible.

Yeah. The Crud. For some reason, I ALWAYS forget the Crud.

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #519 on: 25 June 2018, 10:45:22 »
Effectively the reseen redesigns were published here:
1st Succession War - Locust, Wasp, Valkyrie, Wolverine, Shadow Hawk
2nd Succession War - Griffin, Thunderbolt, BattleMaster
Combat Manual Mercenaries - Locust, Ostscout, Shadow Hawk, Warhammer (Marauder on cover)
Combat Manual Kurita - Wasp, Phoenix Hawk, Wolverine, BattleMaster
The Longbow, is probably safe as long as the 3058 version gets trotted out.

Rifleman and Archer both have 'Primitive' variants. Not ideal, but eh. Much better if the nuseen Archer and Rifleman get used but I'll take what I can get.

Effectively, unless I'm mistaken, this means the remaining currently unpublished Unseen designs are the Goliath, Scorpion, Ostroc and Ostsol with the two Ost designs being... well... sort of... if you squint, derivative of the Regult.

I'd be mad happy to see redesigns of the last four.

And the Goliath, being of the same source (Dougram) as the Shadow Hawk, may actually be fine regardless.  (:

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #520 on: 25 June 2018, 10:51:54 »
Yeah. The Crud. For some reason, I ALWAYS forget the Crud.
Every one forgets the Crud until you roll that floating crit on a torso!
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

mitchberthelson

• Warrant Officer
  • Death to Zohan!
« Reply #521 on: 25 June 2018, 10:52:45 »
And the Goliath, being of the same source (Dougram) as the Shadow Hawk, may actually be fine regardless.  (:

Scorpion is Dougram too.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #522 on: 25 June 2018, 14:19:14 »
Scorpion is Dougram too.

Essentially, it seems the Classics break down like this:

Known Safe (non-Macross or so extremely changed that even HG didn't want to contest):
BattleMaster
Wolverine
Shadow Hawk
Griffin
Locust
Ostroc
Ostsol
Ostscout
Goliath
Scorpion
Thunderbolt

Presumed Safe pending statement from CGL:
Warhammer
Marauder
Wasp
Phoenix Hawk
Archer

Unknown:
Crusader
Stinger
Longbow
Rifleman

the two Ost designs being... well... sort of... if you squint, derivative of the Regult.

You'd need to have your eyes glued shut to see any similarities even with the Unseen art, honestly. The last time a OST-mech looked even remotely like a Regult was in BattleDroids, IINM.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2018, 14:21:34 by Pat Payne »

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #523 on: 25 June 2018, 14:32:10 »

Known Safe (non-Macross or so extremely changed that even HG didn't want to contest):
BattleMaster
Wolverine
Shadow Hawk
Griffin
Locust
Ostroc
Ostsol
Ostscout
Goliath
Scorpion
Thunderbolt

Warhammer
Marauder
Wasp
Phoenix Hawk
Archer

Unknown:
Crusader
Stinger
Longbow
Rifleman

You'd need to have your eyes glued shut to see any similarities even with the Unseen art, honestly. The last time a OST-mech looked even remotely like a Regult was in BattleDroids, IINM.

That's how I see it as well. I'm curious as to when (read: if) we get a statement by CGL or Topps regarding their plans to finalize the implementation of Shimmering Sword's re imagined classics in light of the recent dismissal with prejudice. 

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #524 on: 25 June 2018, 14:32:59 »
Scorpion is Dougram too.

F35C Blizzard Gunner, found it.   :thumbsup:

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #525 on: 25 June 2018, 15:00:36 »

BattleMaster
Wolverine
Shadow Hawk
Griffin
Locust
Ostroc
Ostsol
Ostscout
Goliath
Scorpion
Thunderbolt

Warhammer
Marauder
Wasp
Phoenix Hawk
Archer

Unknown:
Crusader
Stinger
Longbow
Rifleman

actually i believe the PGI rifleman falls under presumed safe.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #526 on: 25 June 2018, 15:02:18 »
Its true that there are two bodies of artworks I'm concerned with: Shimmering Sword's new Classics, and Flying Debris' mechs from MWO.

In a perfect world, they would all be safe. But there may be distinctions between the two. I don't know.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #527 on: 25 June 2018, 15:40:36 »
Its true that there are two bodies of artworks I'm concerned with: Shimmering Sword's new Classics, and Flying Debris' mechs from MWO.

In a perfect world, they would all be safe. But there may be distinctions between the two. I don't know.

If they haven't been challenged in court, it's hard to be sure, but the signs are generally positive. HG has little to gain from pursuing Catalyst's version (no significant money to be had), and can reasonably expect another hammering if they pursue PGI.

None of that means they wouldn't do it, but it gives hope.

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #528 on: 25 June 2018, 15:49:20 »
No Harmony Gold cannot launch new lawsuits, because of the agreement to abide by a Dismissal with Prejudice ruling with no voluntary stipulations.  The 'Dismissal with Prejudice' means the case is dismissed, and the 'Prejudice' means that any attempt by Harmony Gold to refile will be automatically decided in the defendants favour.  'No voluntary stipulation' means that this was come to through an out of court settlement that did not result in any exemption terms to the 'Dismissal with Prejudice'.

In other words Harmony Gold has capitulated on its claim to Battletech imagery and designs as they currently stand.  The reseen are now our isorla. Well bargained and done.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #529 on: 25 June 2018, 17:00:28 »
No Harmony Gold cannot launch new lawsuits, because of the agreement to abide by a Dismissal with Prejudice ruling with no voluntary stipulations.  The 'Dismissal with Prejudice' means the case is dismissed, and the 'Prejudice' means that any attempt by Harmony Gold to refile will be automatically decided in the defendants favour.  'No voluntary stipulation' means that this was come to through an out of court settlement that did not result in any exemption terms to the 'Dismissal with Prejudice'.

In other words Harmony Gold has capitulated on its claim to Battletech imagery and designs as they currently stand.  The reseen are now our isorla. Well bargained and done.

The part that people are worried apart and may not be articulating properly is the mechs to yet get new official "this is how it always looked" art work.

Those in that category can potentially be sued over once published.

Everything else?  It is safe.

So ultimately in a very real way Friday has seen the end of the unseen issue and likely saw the end of Harmony Gold to ever raise it again against IMR/CGL.  After all even if PGI had to give something to Harmony Gold to end the case there was never a joint defense agreement or power of attorney filed so IMR/CGL gave nothing and owes nothing to HG.

To PGI thank you seems paltry and insufficient.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #530 on: 25 June 2018, 17:13:33 »

BattleMaster
Wolverine
Shadow Hawk
Griffin
Locust
Ostroc
Ostsol
Ostscout
Goliath
Scorpion
Thunderbolt

Warhammer
Marauder
Wasp
Phoenix Hawk
Archer

Unknown:
Crusader
Stinger
Longbow
Rifleman

Marauder II?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #531 on: 25 June 2018, 17:20:03 »
Marauder II?

And lets not forget the IIC variants here either.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

PreacherPatriot1776

• Sergeant
« Reply #532 on: 25 June 2018, 17:37:41 »
And lets not forget the IIC variants here either.

TT

The IIC variants are safe since they were originally done by VMI. HG has nothing to do with them and have no standing. Why are people so afraid of HG? They've just lost 4 major cases in a row.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #533 on: 25 June 2018, 17:45:09 »
The IIC variants are safe since they were originally done by VMI. HG has nothing to do with them and have no standing. Why are people so afraid of HG? They've just lost 4 major cases in a row.

Because when a company is litigious and greedy they can cost you a truckload of money because they force you to hire a legal team, create a litigation strategy, start compiling evidence.....

They'll sue anyone they think infringes on an IP they may not even own. Not people to be trusted, IMO.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #534 on: 25 June 2018, 17:47:08 »
So what your saying is Speck and the rest of the gang at Iron Wind doesn't have any problems recasting these IIC molds again?

I was under the influence that the Unseen included these as well.

Color me wrong here, but I for one wouldn't mind a new recasting of these. My collection would love to open up the few OOP NIB IICs if I can get a steady resupply to do so.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #535 on: 25 June 2018, 17:49:19 »

Technically they're safe, but for practical purposes, FASA, Wizkids and now IMR/CGL have declined to use them, or any art not 100% made in-house. Not because of the same tangles, but because they don't completely own them, FASA was worried about other legal tangles down the line if  the legalities got muddled somehow. They could use them if they wanted to, but they're voluntarily not using them. This includes as well designs made by STUDIO NUE themselves for FASA to replace the Unseen in Japan when the game was translated over there.

PreacherPatriot1776

• Sergeant
« Reply #536 on: 25 June 2018, 17:50:58 »
Because when a company is litigious and greedy they can cost you a truckload of money because they force you to hire a legal team, create a litigation strategy, start compiling evidence.....

They'll sue anyone they think infringes on an IP they may not even own. Not people to be trusted, IMO.

They can't sue anyone any longer over mech designs and more specifically their claims that they created big, stompy robots. All of those claims were dismissed with prejudice. That means they can't sue period.

PreacherPatriot1776

• Sergeant
« Reply #537 on: 25 June 2018, 17:52:29 »
Technically they're safe, but for practical purposes, FASA, Wizkids and now IMR/CGL have declined to use them, or any art not 100% made in-house. Not because of the same tangles, but because they don't completely own them, FASA was worried about other legal tangles down the line if  the legalities got muddled somehow. They could use them if they wanted to, but they're voluntarily not using them. This includes as well designs made by STUDIO NUE themselves for FASA to replace the Unseen in Japan when the game was translated over there.

Yes, I know. I was answering someone's questions regarding the IICs. They could receive their own reseen treatment and some are going to with PGI.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #538 on: 25 June 2018, 17:54:47 »

Yes, I know. I was answering someone's questions regarding the IICs. They could receive their own reseen treatment and some are going to with PGI.
I understand that, I just wanted to make sure it was crystal clear as to why the IICs probably won't come out of the "Unseen box" anytime soon, to forestall the "Hey... now that the case is won, IICs for everybody!" cries.

They can't sue anyone any longer over mech designs and more specifically their claims that they created big, stompy robots. All of those claims were dismissed with prejudice. That means they can't sue period.

No. They can't sue over the designs that were brought up in the complaints in court. Those design are safe and immunized. However, should HG decide to go out of their gourd again and sue over a new crop of Classics, they'd be able to.

PreacherPatriot1776

• Sergeant
« Reply #539 on: 25 June 2018, 17:57:19 »
I understand that, I just wanted to make sure it was crystal clear as to why the IICs probably won't come out of the "Unseen box" anytime soon, to forestall the "Hey... now that the case is won, IICs for everybody!" cries.

No. They can't sue over the designs that were brought up in the complaints in court. Those design are safe and immunized. However, should HG decide to go out of their gourd again and sue over a new crop of Classics, they'd be able to.

I suggest you re-read HG's arguments presented in their court filings. They made the claim to all things big, stompy robot. Since they made that claim and the case was stipulated with dismissal with prejudice then HG cannot use the same argument again to sue another company over mechs in general.

I spent the better part of two decades researching the entire unseens and posting my findings, especially the court cases.

Register