Author Topic: Design a SLDF Independent Regiment  (Read 3822 times)

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
Design a SLDF Independent Regiment
« on: 11 April 2019, 07:42:44 »
The year is 2760, on the eve of the Amaris Civil War. You have received an order from SLDF High Command to form an Independent Regiment to track down and subdue the rising tide of houseless "bandits" and restless Periphery forces that will not submit to the light and reason of the will of the First Lord and the peace of the Star League.

Such regiments are three battalions of Battlemechs (plus support) at full strength. That's nine companies for a total of 108 Mechs, but it can be understrength if you like. The regiment can be Royal or Regular. You begin by requesting what Mechs from the SLDF Quartermaster?

Hit me with your best shot
« Last Edit: 11 April 2019, 07:57:41 by Crow »
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Design a SLDF Independent Regiment
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2019, 16:13:55 »
Phoenix Hawk LAMs... all of them...  ::)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2019, 21:44:23 »
Such regiments are three battalions of Battlemechs (plus support) at full strength. That's nine companies for a total of 108 Mechs, but it can be understrength if you like. The regiment can be Royal or Regular. You begin by requesting what Mechs from the SLDF Quartermaster?

More information required:

- Is a command company authorized?
- What's the expected disposition of the bandits and Periphery renegades?
- How much logistic support is reasonably expected?
- Orbital support and transport restrictions?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2019, 09:10:46 »
Give me an entire regiment of Awesome 8Q.  With one of the most durable, deadly, and feared mechs in the era, and a whopping total of 324 PPCs at my disposal, I won't be too afraid of what some pirates or independent nations have to throw at me.

Logistically, what do I need?  Food, water, mech techs, and medics.  I'll need fast, simple transport for quick deployment, since the Awesome is a bit slow, so 27 Leopards for the entire regiment?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2019, 15:06:33 »
Give me an entire regiment of Awesome 8Q.  With one of the most durable, deadly, and feared mechs in the era, and a whopping total of 324 PPCs at my disposal, I won't be too afraid of what some pirates or independent nations have to throw at me.

Logistically, what do I need?  Food, water, mech techs, and medics.  I'll need fast, simple transport for quick deployment, since the Awesome is a bit slow, so 27 Leopards for the entire regiment?

Send this man to liaise with the Lyrans immediately: they'd love him!

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2019, 19:34:02 »
Trouble dealing with infantry, plus limited scouting and pursuit capability, though.  As a battalion, not a bad idea.  Put some companies of Talons for pursuit and screening work in another.  Third battalion would be more general purpose, to handle vehicles, infantry, and similar forces.

Should have a substantial special forces detachment for forward reconnaissance, to ensure all that Awesome-y goodness lands in the right place.  Nighthawk suits too (just never you mind how I know about those, quartermaster...).
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2019, 21:24:08 »
hmm
since pursuit is a priority, I would go
for a battalion with a mixed company of Griffons and Kintaros,
a company of Talons for recon, and heavy company mixed
Orions and Warhammers
two battalions like that and one heavier unit plus vtols and hovers
and we are ready to go
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2019, 05:35:08 »
hmm
since pursuit is a priority, I would go
for a battalion with a mixed company of Griffons and Kintaros,
a company of Talons for recon, and heavy company mixed
Orions and Warhammers
two battalions like that and one heavier unit plus vtols and hovers
and we are ready to go

I like this one best
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2019, 16:53:37 »
I like this one best
thx
I was just thinking how they would work together
plus all use the same basic weapons with the exception of the AC10s
on the orions, lots of LRMs, SRMs, PPCs, mediums
if you want a little more exotic, swap the Griffons for Lancelots
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2019, 20:56:51 »
A Royal Hussar regiment is going to crush almost any bandit force it comes up against.

I would have my first battalion with
12 Talons
12 Night Hawks
12 Lynxs

Second battalion
36 Crabs

Third battalion
24 Spartans
12 Excalibur’s

The first battalion scouts and pins the pirates.  Spartans and Excaliburs are the fire support element and the 36 crabs are the close in brawlers to finish them off.
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2019, 03:08:11 »
I'd set up each battalion the same -

1st company - 4 Mongoose and 8 Talon. All royal designs, all energy designs. Find the bad guys and if need be can shoot their way out.

2nd company - 12 Phoenixhawk's. All royal. Bigger punch and retains the MG's to help deal with infantry.

3rd company - 12 Thunderbolt's. All royal. Provide's the punch.

And assuming I get an armor battalion for support -
12 Chevalier's
12 Gallant's
12 Turhan's

All wheeled but designed for urban operations.

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2019, 02:32:14 »
The year is 2760, on the eve of the Amaris Civil War. You have received an order from SLDF High Command to form an Independent Regiment to track down and subdue the rising tide of houseless "bandits" and restless Periphery forces that will not submit to the light and reason of the will of the First Lord and the peace of the Star League.

Nothing says SLDF light and reason like deploying Vulcans as riot control, but Vulcans are too state of the art for the time frame. :(
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2019, 15:49:17 »

I did this for a campaign once only it wasn't just any regiment, it was a specific Royal Hussar regiment.

I have it on a spreadsheet somewhere but here it is from rough memeory.

Designed for Rapid Response but Hard Hitting.

HQ Co:
Atlas, Cyclops, Battlemaster, NightStar
Marauder, Thug, Warhammer x2
Spartan, Crab, Wolverine, ShadowHawk

1st Heavy Cavalry Battalion: 
Alpha Company  =  4 Each - Pillager, Highlander, & Shogun
Beta Company  =  4 Each -  Flashman, Champion-1N2, Champion-1Nb
Gamma Company  =  Mongoose + 3 Hussar  and  4 Each = Spider, Locust

2nd Battle Battalion: 
Delta Company  =  12 x  Excalibur
Epsilon Company  =  12 x  Guillotine
Zeta Company  =  12  x  Griffin

3rd Striker Battalion: 
Kappa Co  =  Exterminator, Phoenix Hawk,  Specter,  Ostscout,  +  4 Each -  Lynx,  Starslayer
Eta Co  =  Mongoose + 3 Hussar  and  4 Each = Spider, Locust
Iota Co  =  6x  PhxHk-LAM,   6x  Stinger-LAM

4th Fighter Wing:
6 Each = HellCat-II,  HammerHead, Samurai

5th Mobile Infantry Battalion:
Phi =  Jump Infantry *4
Pi = Motorized Infantry *4
Chi = Maxim  x8,  Beagle x2,  Zephyr x2
Omicron = Cobra  x4,  Nightshade x4,  Cyrano x2,  Ripper x2

6th Armored Support Battalion:
Rho =  Fury + 11x Alacorn-VI
SigmaCo = 4 Each -  Beagle,  Zephyr,  Kanga
Tau Co  =  4 Each - Marksman,  Thor,  Chaparral

Fleet Assets:
Avatar Class Cruiser w/ 6 Dropships
Overlord, Overlord, Colossus, Titan, Leopard x2
9 Fighter Squadrons:
  (Avatar = Stuka, Thunderbird, Corsair, Zero)
  (Titan = HammerHead, Samurai, Hellcat-II)
  (Overlords  = Trident *2)

(Remaining Vee/Inf bays on the Colossus belongs to the logistics group)

108 Mechs
12 LAMs
54 ASF
60 Combat Vehicles  (Tanks, Hovercraft, IFVs, Artillery)
8 Infantry Platoons w/ Transports above.

4 more platoons (Techs/Medics) & 12 vehicles (Cargo, Ammo, Fuel, Repair,  etc) in the non-combat "Technical Logistics Group"
... They probably need more vehicles over all for logistics but those are stored as Cargo & not in the ready to roll out bays.

Designed to deploy quickly & operate from a single supporting warship with enough fighters to clear a path to land the entire unit in a single LZ with 2 smaller dropships to deploy the LAM Company for recon & surgical strikes quickly.

« Last Edit: 26 May 2019, 15:55:59 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2019, 17:17:12 »
Nice combat organization, but you're very short on tech support.  Each vehicle/'mech/ASF/4 platoons of infantry requires a tech team (7 personnel).  So that's 236 squads of techs overall, or 59 platoons (~20 companies/7 battalions).  Admin support is on top of that, but mitigated by being a government force.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2019, 17:25:27 »
Every Mech? Or every lance?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2019, 17:27:13 »
Every 'mech.  Individually.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2019, 21:22:27 »
Weeelllllll, lets just say then that the amount I gave is what is riding the dropships down for on site support & the rest comes down from the Warship after the LZ is secure.   ;)

Or stays back at base the main base at their homeworld & doesn't deploy for raids, only invasions.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2019, 21:24:50 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2019, 06:48:39 »
That makes sense, and is probably how the SLDF did it.

Register