Author Topic: Star League Dropship Lift Capacity Pre Amaris Coup  (Read 3235 times)

snewsom2997

• Captain
Star League Dropship Lift Capacity Pre Amaris Coup
« on: 23 July 2019, 13:52:57 »
So we know that the Star League had around 2000-3000 Warships at its height, Probably 4 or 5 times that in Jumpships maybe more, without dragooning merchant Fleets.

What kind of Transport Dropship numbers do you think we are looking at. 20,000? 30,000? More? Or vast numbers less because most transport happened in Warship Bays and Dropships were just Higgens boats?

Thinking up an AU where Kerensky up and left with the Star League Army when the Amaris Coup happened, leaving the House Lords to deal with the mess, not after defeating it and burning through 3/4ths of their manpower and equipment. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Star League Dropship Lift Capacity Pre Amaris Coup
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2019, 16:16:06 »
More, certainly.  The Star League was awash in money, and rather less common sense...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2019, 16:22:30 »
"Admiral, how many dropships can you commit?"
"How many do you need?"

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2019, 17:00:28 »
Heh... perfect!  :thumbsup:

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2019, 19:22:59 »
Consider the Confederate. Would any logistics professional in their right mind transport an army 4 Mechs at a time?

Those lance carrying DropShips are tactical units. They are for getting lances into position on a planetary scale. After their initial deployment some my never dock with a JumpShip again. Now think about the potential numbers of those.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2019, 19:29:27 »
As others have said, transports that size are Higgins Boats at best...

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2019, 08:57:48 »
Consider the Confederate. Would any logistics professional in their right mind transport an army 4 Mechs at a time?

Those lance carrying DropShips are tactical units. They are for getting lances into position on a planetary scale. After their initial deployment some my never dock with a JumpShip again. Now think about the potential numbers of those.

The Whole Army, no, but enough to transport 16 divisions or so of that army sprinkled all over the Inner Sphere, perhaps. I don't think it out of the realm of possibility that 10-15% if any given division, might have the tactical lift to move things all over the place.

So do you think that something like the Confederate is disposable? Use once, then leave it grounded or as a Planetary Transport or as a Supply/Repair Depot, with some Command and Control Ability. I think you would be better served demilling them and selling them as surplus cargo transports.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2019, 13:36:11 »
You don't abandon them, you deploy them as a tactical element, use them on-planet to reposition forces as needed for the duration of the operation, and then take them with you to the next planet to invade.  If not, then you've got to build replacements for them for every world where you fight.  The factories may build extras for use by the planetary militias after the SLDF forces leave, but the ones brought by the SLDF would almost certainly leave with them.

The majority of the landing forces would arrive in system on the Warships, some on the accompanying larger dropships, and would be ferried within the system from the Warships to the planet aboard those dropships.  The smaller Leopard and Confederate class dropships would mostly be dedicated to operating in close cooperation with the forces on the ground.

Additional supply dropships would follow later, using civilian-type dropships, in sufficient numbers to support a planetary invasion with food, ammo, spare parts, and reinforcements as needed.  With the Warships being priority targets, and almost all lost during the Succession Wars, only those civilian jumpships and various dropship types remain.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2019, 13:49:52 by Kovax »

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2019, 12:33:19 »
With the huge cargo loads in many of the Warships....Im sure hundreds more could be thrown in a Warship with and unload it on the drop ship and use it for a invasion. 
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2019, 13:52:47 »
I doubt you'd even want to use a Leopard or Confederate in a balls-out invasion if you can help it. Those are spec-ops platforms for stuff like knocking out a lunar radar station.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2019, 17:19:17 »
Or any other suitably peripheral target... they could be planet bound, but remote from the main effort.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2019, 18:10:17 »
Lance transports to me are for small target operations in a larger scale conflict or for raids.

I don't need to deploy an entire battalion of mechs to take over the power grid,  I need a lance of mechs for a show of force against any militia that get brave & a company of infantry to secure the objective.
So I need a Leopart w/ Converted ASF Bays into Infantry,  or a I need a Confederate & a Vampire,  etc etc.

I don't need 20 of them assigned to my division/RCT.  3 will do.  I won't have THAT many special targets to hit all at once.  And the bigger ones can use a Union.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2019, 00:21:52 »
 Also the SLDF used head-hunter units. A Confederate would be perfect for such a unit.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2019, 12:03:36 »
Also recall that the Star League came with Terran Hegemony philosophy . . . the folks who ordered DroST IIa transports, and would retire them after 20 years to be sold to the secondary/civilian market so they could keep refreshing the fleet (and keep contracts flowing to people's friends).  Such a program SHOULD do great things for commerce, some what like the sell off of Liberty ships after WWII, in that you constantly have a fresh supply of 'new' hulls entering the market for individual or corporate purchases.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."