Author Topic: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - Houston, we are go for launch!  (Read 102908 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
The article itself provides explanations for that, among them:
“That doesn't mean that all GRBs do not produce them,” Blanchard added...

There's more toward the end too... I don't think it disproves the theory about heavier elements.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Isn't neutron star collisions the current go-to model for heavy element production?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Neutron Stars too, yes.  But I had always read that supernovae in general produce elements heavier than iron. 

I would imagine that the really heavy elements are probably more abundant in neutron star collisions, or white dwarf collisions.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist

Random thought: would that also mean that the quantities of heavy elements could vary a lot between star systems?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Certainly... the universe isn't homogeneous...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Looks like scientist have figured out how Pluto got it's heart shape feature on the planet.

It appears in ancient time a object size of Switzerland collided with Pluto, creating the Sputnik Planitia & Tombaugh Regio regions, aka each sides of the heart.

Unfortunately, the report suggests that because way things turned out and the impact on the region would thinned crust of the planet, there is most likely no subsurface ocean.

Report was posted on phys.org.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Looks like scientist have figured out how Pluto got it's heart shape feature on the planet.

It appears in ancient time a object size of Switzerland collided with Pluto, creating the Sputnik Planitia & Tombaugh Regio regions, aka each sides of the heart.

Unfortunately, the report suggests that because way things turned out and the impact on the region would thinned crust of the planet, there is most likely no subsurface ocean.

Report was posted on phys.org.

Excellent follow up on Pluto.  At that distance, a small object maintaining a subsurface body of liquid water all this time was questionable.  Not foregone by any means, because there's so much for us to learn when we aren't getting in our own way by assuming we have things figured out.  But questionable.

And now we know.  Or at least we are pretty sure we know.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
NASA has decided that the cost to return Martian samples to Earth is too high.  And waiting until 2040 is far too long.  So an overhaul of the sample return mission has been called.  Let's see how that goes.

Any bets that the price goes up and gets blamed on inflation?  :rolleyes:

https://www.space.com/nasa-revamp-mars-sample-return-plan

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
The price will certainly go up, and inflation will be among the reasons... ::)

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
After seeing Species, I'm glad they're not returning samples from Mars.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Looks like further study has revealed that the so-called "Ice Giants", Ouranos and Neptune, contain a lot less water than previously thought.

https://www.space.com/uranus-neptune-less-water-more-frozen-methane-formation-mystery

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
As mentioned in another thread, IIRC, "All models are wrong. Some models are useful."

It's generally agreed the ice giants didn't form in their current places; would have taken unfeasibly long for that to happen. How that impacts the ice vs methane mix (H2O having similar molecular weight as CH4, but greater adhesion) needs consideration.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Check out this amazing image of Phobos!  I’ll attach the file….

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
That's a big bump on that moon.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
That crater looks catastrophically big.  Compare it to Tethys or Mimas prominent impacts.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
While we're on the subject of massive impact scars, my favorites.

Caloris on Mercury.  If the impactor had been any bigger, perhaps it would have destroyed Mercury.

And Valhalla on Callisto.  Just look at the epic rings that frame it, and how extensive they are, one after another.   

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That's an amazing photo of Phobos!  What was the source? :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Good News The Dragonfly quadcopper probe was approved for the Titan mission!  Won't get there till 2034, but it's something that was on verge being cut!  Hope it gets to the finish line!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
That's an amazing photo of Phobos!  What was the source? :)

Source is NASA.  It's actually far older than I thought, the net is giving it a date of 2013.

This is the first I saw it.

Good News The Dragonfly quadcopper probe was approved for the Titan mission!  Won't get there till 2034, but it's something that was on verge being cut!  Hope it gets to the finish line!

I saw that, too.  But the article was cheesy, this one you posted is better.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2024, 19:43:19 by rebs »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Thanks for the citation! :)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster

That's no Danais Dropship...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Honestly, I had little trouble finding the original announcement. It could have been buried.

Prospernia

• Lieutenant

It looks like a texture map for a video-game.

And Doom, '93, got Phobos wrong; it doesn't look like a lush-paradise.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That's... not what I remember of Doom back in '93? ???

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Phobos is an asteroid that got caught.  We can't be expecting much of it, or any disappointment is on us.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Honestly, I had little trouble finding the original announcement. It could have been buried.

2013 I was still taking care of my grandma before she died, so I missed a lot of things going on.  My only outlet at that time was getting caught back up on BT after a break between 1997 and 2012 when I googled it and found out that it was still alive and doing well. 
« Last Edit: 19 April 2024, 00:16:02 by rebs »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Link to an article with a new video detailing all the Martian flights of the Ingenuity drone.

https://www.space.com/ingenuity-mars-helicopter-flight-map-video-2024

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
That's... not what I remember of Doom back in '93? ???

Complete with atmospheric-scattering and you can walk outside on Phobos!

And

« Last Edit: 19 April 2024, 19:52:21 by Prospernia »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Back then, I thought Doom Guy was wearing a space helmet? ???

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
How many of you have fought the good fight as Star Captain Samus Aran, a female Elemental Warrior, who fights the drezga Dark Caste and their inhuman Gencaste allies on the Deep Periphery planet of Zebes? Jump Jet attacks, rolling and crouching while Lasing and firing deadly Missile barrages. All since 3025! (Of course, it's 1986!)

(I figured ya'll needed a good chuckle?  :wink: )

TT

PS: Your welcome... Now someone put that scenario into Shrapnel!
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register