Poll

What merc world would you go to for buying a replacement?

Galatea
Solaris VII
Outreach (during it's time)
Northwind
Arc Royal (during it's times)
Fletcher
Herotitus
Noisiel
Westerhand
Antallos
Astrokaszy
Le Blanc

Author Topic: The best place to go . . .  (Read 760 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
The best place to go . . .
« on: 08 February 2024, 00:48:46 »
You were a independent owner/operator of a battlemech in a mercenary company.  Part of the your contract with the merc company is full replacement for loss . . . and boy was it lost in the last battle.

Now you have a nice ComStar draft for the market value of the mech at the time of the loss . . . what mercenary world would you head to for buying a replacement?

For comment, would the size/roll of your old mech & presumably preferred replacement change which merc world you would want to travel to?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: The best place to go . . .
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2024, 01:55:16 »
Depends strongly on what my last mech was and what my role in the company was.  Ideally, I'd want to pick something that was an upgrade to my previous ride, not something that was radically different.  So that would impact which world I went to as the different planets had different mech vendors.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2024, 09:02:22 »
 Historically speaking, the Mercenary Star, though Solaris is not bad. Astrokaszy is superb if you are out in the periphery.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2024, 09:10:17 »
 Note: I would consider Campoleone, as it is a historic gathering place for those after information. Mercenaries will naturally congregate to such a place.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2024, 13:26:03 »
Am I on an employer's whitelist? I'd probably try to buy factory-direct if I am.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2024, 13:37:56 »
If I can't get from the factory, I"d go to SVII. We're replacing 'mechs, not warriors ;) Solaris VII seems to be the showroom world of 'mech manufacturing. All the majors, many minors, and there might be a few surprises.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2024, 14:14:07 »
Outreach during it's time. Best selection, availability and lots of competition. Galatea would be a distant second, same idea just not as much as Outreach was. Solaris might have displays of the good stuff, but it's likely at a premium mark up or overpriced refurbished wrecks.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2024, 03:18:19 »
Outreach sounds like the best idea though Arc Royal might also be worth a look. Solaris VII offers mostly Mechs for Arena combat with some exceptions so that has to be considered. Unless you want to switch your business

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2024, 08:57:00 »
the fiction showed that S7 had lots of machines for sale as long as it wasn't near the championship ending times, i always as a GM ran it as best place to get machines and some pilots .

but if i wanted people i went to Outreach or Galatea depending on time period also for some stuff in the 60's Noisiel was a place to find people   

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2024, 15:30:55 »
Outreach sounds like the best idea though Arc Royal might also be worth a look. Solaris VII offers mostly Mechs for Arena combat with some exceptions so that has to be considered. Unless you want to switch your business

Arc-Royal has the same problem that going to their hiring hall has: if you aren't working for the interests of the Kell Family in specific and the Commonwealth in general, you're gonna get turned away at the door.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2024, 06:06:58 »
Arc-Royal has the same problem that going to their hiring hall has: if you aren't working for the interests of the Kell Family in specific and the Commonwealth in general, you're gonna get turned away at the door.

I think you meant to say "If you mind the overbundance of Lyran employers you should turn away" From what I understood it that Arc Royal offers any mercenary a warm but guarded welcome but that the hiring is mostly done for the Lyran state or other mercenaries in Lyran employ.

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2024, 17:17:23 »
FM: 3085 contrasts Arc-Royal with Outreach in that Outreach serves everyone while Arc-Royal "is much more limited, serving primarily the Lyrans and mercenaries on or near Arc-Royal." 3145 says that you used to be able to get two kinds of jobs there: Garrison the LC border with the Clans, or go over said border to fight them. But in the 3140s basically nobody goes there, even with Martin Kell offering fat contracts. So it sounds like if you're not working Lyran-adjacent at least, there's nothing for you. And that's just mercenary hiring, selling war materiel is even more restrictive.

Estwilde

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2024, 03:42:33 »
Outreach. Dragoon training courses for all battlefield units. Maybe it was only for Battle Magic but I thought they would train technicians and support staff as well. Great location with lots of action on all sides, so lots of movement and equipment coming and going.

Register