Author Topic: Confused on what to get next, and where  (Read 943 times)

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
Confused on what to get next, and where
« on: 23 February 2019, 12:21:46 »
Hi!

Some years ago I bought the Battletech introductory box along with some pewter mechs.  It included an 80 pages rulebook but now I'd like to get the full rules.  But I am confused if I should get Total Warfare, or BattleMech Manual or Alpha Strike?( I did read https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=44730.0 but still confused as each book seems to include some rules from the others, but not all?)   Also, I like printed stuff, is there any places to get a printed copy?  Amazon.ca have none of the mentionned books and the FLGS didn't even know Battletech was still alive.

Thanks in advance :) 
« Last Edit: 23 February 2019, 12:33:32 by kinwolf »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Confused on what to get next, and where
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2019, 12:28:35 »
If you're having trouble tracking down hard copies, the pdf versions are available both from Catalyst and DriveThruRPG (and are well worth the reduced price compared to the dead tree formats).  At the very least, you'll be able to look them over before taking the plunge in hard copy.

With regard to which book, Total Warfare has combined arms rules (including vehicles and infantry), while the BattleMech Manual is all about 'mechs (with a few abstract rules to include some things like artillery).  Tactical Operations has the detailed rules (to the Total Warfare level) that the BattleMech Manual abstracts.  If you want to build things, Tech Manual is what you need.  Strategic Operations, Interstellar Operations, and Campaign Operations are all for other aspects of the game (WarShips, LAMs, building/running a unit, etc.).

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2019, 12:33:42 »
BattleMech Manual is my favorite, focused entirely on mechs.  Technical Readout Succession award and Record Sheets: SW go nicely with it.
If you want to branch out in to vehicles, infantry, aerospace, etc, go with Total Warfare instead. Technical Readout 3039 and RS 3039 unabridged pair with it nicely, thought you might have a lot of difficulty finding TR 3039 in print.
Alpha Strike is a very different game system. It woood use the same minis, but it’s not an expansion to the rulebook in the box set.
The BattleMech Manual just got a second printing very recently. Technical Readout SW should be still easy to find in print. RS SW was just released, but it’s a PDF only product.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2019, 12:35:02 »
hi, sorry my article wasn't more helpful. we'll see what we can do

it sounds like you got the previous version of the box (that's fine, they're largely identical)

you're looking at two things (Total Warfare & BattleMech Manual) and a third (Alpha Strike), which is very different.

Total Warfare is the main core  rulebook of battletech. it covers a variety of combat units from mechs to infantry to combat vehicles and more. It's set in the universe year 3067 so it has some new equipment, but not all the most bleeding edge experimental gear (Tactical Operations has the extras)

BattleMech Manual is a bit different in that it covers only BattleMechs. This book is set around the universe year 3150 and so includes a number of systems that were considered experimental in 3067, but now are commonplace (like calculators and microwaves in the 70s compared to now). Once again, it includes no rules for units other than mechs. keep in mind that just because they have an in-universe year, you can still play with any equipment you want. you aren't forced to use everything or place your games in a specific time period.

Alpha Strike is a different animal altogether. It presents a streamlined version of the rules (for example, all weapon ranges are standardized to 6 inches, 24 inches, and 42 inches) to be played as a miniatures game on a table with terrain like Warhammer or Warmachine. It plays a lot faster so if you like big battles and units that are eliminated much faster, these are the rules for you.

As to the in-print status, Total Warfare was just re printed this fall and i've seen it on ebay at normal prices recently. The BattleMech Manual was just reprinted and you can order it directly from Catalyst right now (store.catalystgamelabs.com). Alpha strike is currently both out of print and hard to find. there will be a new printing estimated for later this year

hope that's more helpful!

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2019, 12:46:00 »
Battlemech Manual - Mechs only. Best layout, best organization. The 'Partial rules' that excludes stuff most people aren't interested in, especially at first. Has a new printing coming out soon(tm.)

Total Warfare - mechs, tanks, infantry, fighters, etc. The 'full rules.' Had a recent release, most likely to be in stock.

Alpha Strike - 'Squad Level' battletech, a different game. It loses some granularity, but is faster to play. Has a new version coming out soon(tm)
« Last Edit: 23 February 2019, 13:09:47 by Greatclub »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2019, 13:02:59 »
To further expand on some stuff I often find to be less explanatory.

Alpha Strike is a completely different type of rule set. It is not geared or marketed really towards two opposing forces smaller than Company level (think 12 v 12).

Can you play ALPHA STRIKE as 2 mechs versus 2 mechs? yeas, but your game will be over much much faster, and is why I often demo AS as 4 units v 4 units. Less tracking, and can learn the basics very, very quick.

Alpha Strike actually shines in Battalion level play. Think 36 units of varying type (mechs, Armor, Infantry), similar in scope to Warhammer's, Archers, Calvary And War Machines.

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2019, 13:14:47 »
Wow, thanks all for the fast replies!  Okay, Alpha Strike is out. Since I plan to continue on mostly mech(I'm digging out the box to start playing with my son) I guess the Battlemech Manual makes the most sense. Thanks for the cue that it is available in the  catalyst store.  I did look in the store but only saw the pdf version.  I've now opened my eyes correctly and I can see a printed version :)  Just ordered it. Technical Readout Succession is avail locally and ordered as well.

Sartis: You article was VERY helpful to know what's current, it's mostly that both books, from the description given, seems to overlap in some sections, but with a slightly different system.  Makes it confusing to newcomers what to get :P

And yeah, I took a look at the new Beginner Box as a way to expand the box I already have, but it only has 8 mechs and paper maps(the box I have has mounted map, so can't use both together)

Thanks!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2019, 13:25:16 »
BMM and TW do indeed overlap in places. my recommendation would be to get both, but i'm also very good at telling people how to spend money  :D

I'm working on a guide to make the product line more approachable in general because this is the current state of affairs https://puu.sh/CQ6c0/03e8701ac2.png. I can certainly understand how going to the catalyst store or drivethrurpg would cause instant brain freeze.

feel free to ask any other questions you have as you can see, there's plenty of advice to go around

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2019, 16:09:01 »
BMM and TW do indeed overlap in places. my recommendation would be to get both, but i'm also very good at telling people how to spend money  :D
BattleMech Manual overlaps with Total Warfare and Tactical Operations, so it is compilation of 'Mech related rules from those books. If you want to play with vehicles, infantry, and aircraft, I highly recommend Total Warfare first and Tactical Operations as possible second. If you have those two books, BattleMech Manual would be redundant. For that same reason TRO: Succession Wars would be redundant if you want vehicles.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2019, 20:09:17 »
Funny stuff, while dusting off my battletech meager collection, I saw a first print Alpha Strike book at the bottom of the box.  Completely forgot I bought that  ???  I'll read through it while waiting for BMM to arrive.

Register