Author Topic: Fourteenth FedCom RCT c. 3062  (Read 3531 times)

Templar87

• Master Sergeant
Fourteenth FedCom RCT c. 3062
« on: 09 August 2020, 04:01:33 »
Just something I've been working on for a while (Have a full breakdown of the 'Mech regiment c. 3058 written also, if anyone's interested);

Fourteenth Federated Commonwealth RCT: The Sure Shield
Motto: Stand Fast.

Formed in 3048, the Fourteenth was only formally activated in 3052, and despite the intention of the FedCom Corps, more than three-quarters of its personnel were from the Federated Suns. Their first deployment, in 3053, was to the world of Neptaris in the Sarna March, helping deal with a Liao-backed coup; which ended very quickly indeed as the First Battalion of the Fourteenth's BattleMech regiment, along with the First of the 506th Jump Infantry, executed a combat drop on the coup government's headquarters while the Second and Third Battalions, and the rest of the 506th, deployed to break the coup faction's siege of the barracks complex occupied by the loyal planetary militia and the Harts Of Hell mercenary command. Once the lawful government was restored, and the surviving coup leaders handed over to MIIO and DMI - as well as the grateful population presenting the Fourteenth with a hand-sewn tapestry showing the First Battalion's combat drop on Neptaris City (which presently hangs in their mess hall on the Fourteenth's base-world of Everdawn) - the Fourteenth continued on to their deployment station along the truce line with the Clans.

Taking up residence on the planet Ellerton, they spent the next three years raiding into the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone, and countering raids by the Falcons in turn. The Fourteenth established a solid working relationship with the Thirty-second Donegal Guards; unfortunately, their relationship with the civil authorities and population was far more fractious. Mainly young and fiercely proud, the Fourteenth's personnel were unwilling to put up with the Lyran population's resentment of, and tendency to blame their woes on, the Federated Suns; nor, despite Hauptmann-General Harrison Granger's best efforts to keep the peace, were many of the Fourteenth's officers any more sympathetic. In 3056, after an increasing number of complaints from the civil authorities to Lyran State Command, the Fourteenth were transferred back to Sarna March Command, based on Neptaris and with the Forty-fifth Lyran Guards deployed nearby. Relations between the two units, never cordial, turned outright toxic as Liao-supported insurgent activity increased and the Guards' support for the Fourteenth was consistently late - when it arrived at all. This came to a head during the Marik-Liao invasion, when - at Katherine Steiner-Davion's order - the Guards abandoned the Fourteenth, leaving them to fight their way back to Capellan March space alone.

Redeploying to the Draconis March, the Fourteenth was one of the units called forward for Operation BULLDOG, fighting alongside the Twenty-second Legion of Vega and the ComGuards 293rd Division to liberate the worlds of Sheraton, Axios and Carlane's Landing from the Smoke Jaguars. After a few brief skirmishes with Clan Ghost Bear units, the Fourteenth were recalled to reinforce the St. Ives Compact by Duke George Hasek. Under the acting command of Leftenant-General Rebecca duChaine - General Granger, injured again during BULLDOG, finally retired in June of 3060 - they caused a number of upsets for Sun-Tzu's forces before the ceasefire forced their withdrawal to the Everdawn PDZ. There, they found a new - and pro-Katherine - commander, and their old enemies, the Forty-fifth Lyran Guards. Extremely pro-Victor Steiner-Davion, the Fourteenth have since been preparing for the civil war they know is coming.

The Fourteenth's insignia is the Davion sunburst set on a tower shield.

Officers
The thoroughly pro-Katherine Hauptmann-General Jason Tiernan has been appointed by Jackson Davion to command the Fourteenth; however, the RCT has flatly refused to acknowledge his appointment, and - with the implied threat of an extremely violent 'accident' awaiting if he tried - Tiernan has wisely not pressed the issue, leaving Leftenant-General Rebecca duChaine in command of the Fourteenth in practice. An ardent patriot who believes firmly in the rule of law, Rebecca will not obey any orders from New Avalon; coming from a usurper and a man she has been quoted in local news broadcasts as calling, "David Varnay without any balls", neither she or the Fourteenth as a whole consider any orders they give legitimate. Many of them have taken to wearing traditional Federated Suns uniform and insignia, as part of making it clear where their loyalties lie.

Tactics
The Fourteenth prefers to fight on the tactical defensive whenever possible, using terrain and field engineering to force the enemy into their reach. They are also, even by Federated Suns standards, trained to an extremely high level of all-arms coordination, meaning any enemy attacking them has to be prepared to face every element of the RCT at once.

Fourteenth FedCom Regiment
Regiment/Veteran/Reliable
CO: Leftenant-General Rebecca duChaine
Aide: Maj. Patricia Anglevik
AeroSpace Brigade: R/Adm. Kamala O'Kane
The Fourteenth's 'Mech Regiment is organised on solid lines; with the First Battalion - including the over-strength A Company - equipped almost entirely with heavy and assault designs, used as battlefield anchor and base of fire, while the lighter machines of the Second and Third Battalions serve in the manoeuvre role. Their handful of Clan BattleMechs are the regiment's pride; otherwise, they field primarily traditional Federated Suns designs.
The Fourteenth FedCom AeroSpace Brigade consists of the Thirty-fourth Army Cooperation, Three-hundred-forty-fifth Kentares Tactical and Two-hundred-thirty-third Syrtis (presently understrength with the loss of one squadron (the SIMC Twenty-first Indicass Air Guard, recalled following St. Ives' surrender)) Wings.

Fourteenth FedCom Armour Brigade
3 Regiments/Regular/Reliable
CO: Lt. Gen. Nathan Aldershot
Aide: Maj. Tiana Kinney
15th FedCom HA: Lt. Col. Angelica Cofflin
11th FedCom RR: Lt. Col. Byron Willis
23rd FedCom AC: Lt. Col. Valentina Malenkova
14th FedCom AB: Maj. William Phillips
As the bedrock of their defensive tactical approach, the Fourteenth's armour brigade includes the RCT's artillery battalion; which is itself overstrength, with a fourth company and each company including a fourth lance of artillery vehicles. Among other nonstandard organisational notes, the Eleventh Recon maintain an extra company made up of VTOLs in each battalion, the Twenty-third Cavalry operate an entire battalion of Bulldog heavy tanks, and the Fifteenth Heavy Armoured include two lances of self-propelled Long Tom artillery pieces.

Fourteenth FedCom Infantry Brigade
5 Regiments/Regular/Reliable
CO: Lt. Gen. Janine Cho
Aide: Maj. Herbert Sudgen
61st Galax MI: Col. Roger Daubigny
18th FedCom MI: Col. Maureen Westin
20th FedCom MI: Col. Yulri Komarov
506th FedSuns JI: Col. Alexander Lyautey
777th Independent BAB: Maj. Jesminder Chakrabati
A newly raised regiment, the Sixty-first Galax replaced the Nineteenth FedCom Mechanised after the latter's effective destruction during Operation GUERRERO. Currently, the Sixty-first, Eighteenth Mechanised and Five-oh-sixth Jump Infantry are all understrength by one battalion, due to losses in Operation BULLDOG. The Seven-hundred-seventy-seventh, an independent battle armour unit and entirely equipped with Cavalier suits, currently only has three companies operating as part of the battalion, with the fourth company split into squads and assigned to Marine duties, to ensure the RCT's attached Jumpship squadron remains where it's supposed to be.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2020, 02:05:12 by Templar87 »
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
Re: Fourteenth FedCom RCT c. 3062
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2020, 10:03:38 »
I like the write up for this unit! Well reasoned and explained, particularly the bit about the pro-Katherine CO not actually pushing in case he has an "accident".

Guessing your not a fan of Katherine, so you should nip over to the fanfic page and have a look at my FedSuns Reborn scene! :D

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2021, 12:20:43 »
It is a good write up my only nit pick would be from being in the military and "words mean things."  Define "Tactical Defensive" for me in your own words?  If you can't its ok I don't think anyone can.  Its not a tactical term in any western military.  I would rewrite that to something like this.

Tactics
The Fourteenth prefers to conduct Defensive Operations whenever possible, using terrain and field fortifications to force an enemy into preselected Engagement Areas. They are also, even by Federated Suns standards, trained to an extremely high level of all-arms coordination, meaning any enemy attacking them has to be prepared to face every element of the RCT at once.

The rest is really good and I like it a lot.  The tactics part was just bugging me a little is all.  Keep it how you had it if you choose I am just offering some advice. 

Keep up the great work.

Templar87

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2021, 13:32:25 »
It is a good write up my only nit pick would be from being in the military and "words mean things."  Define "Tactical Defensive" for me in your own words?  If you can't its ok I don't think anyone can.  Its not a tactical term in any western military.  I would rewrite that to something like this.

Tactics
The Fourteenth prefers to conduct Defensive Operations whenever possible, using terrain and field fortifications to force an enemy into preselected Engagement Areas. They are also, even by Federated Suns standards, trained to an extremely high level of all-arms coordination, meaning any enemy attacking them has to be prepared to face every element of the RCT at once.

The rest is really good and I like it a lot.  The tactics part was just bugging me a little is all.  Keep it how you had it if you choose I am just offering some advice. 

Keep up the great work.

Basically, the idea is - well, actually the same way the Davion Heavy Guards are shown fighting the Jaguars in Grave Covenant. Even though on the strategic/operational level, they're attacking the SJ OZ, the one tactical engagement we see is the DHG forcing the Jaguars to attack them, by positioning and giving them the choice of attack or being shelled to death; and thus, crucify themselves on the massed firepower of the 1/DHG 'Mechs and the RCT's heavy tank regiment, if that helps make it clearer?
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2021, 11:41:00 »
It does.  I still get it.  I was just helping with phrasing.  That is still Defensive Operations by definition of Decisive Operations doctrine in the US Army.  Keep what you got if it works for you.  Not telling you it needs to change.  Just trying to help.

Horsemen

• Four for the price of one!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • CDT Agent #191
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2023, 18:34:37 »
Always nice to see a write-up for another F-C RCT. Did you ever play the unit through the Civil War and beyond?

DragonKhan55

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2023, 18:11:39 »
It does.  I still get it.  I was just helping with phrasing.  That is still Defensive Operations by definition of Decisive Operations doctrine in the US Army.  Keep what you got if it works for you.  Not telling you it needs to change.  Just trying to help.

It reminds me a lot of what Longstreet was itching to do during the Civil War-conduct strategic offensives but then fight on the defensive side once engaged, so as to force the Union forces to press the attack against prepared positions.

Register