Author Topic: Clan Sea Fox Touman: Operation Klondike  (Read 1143 times)

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
Clan Sea Fox Touman: Operation Klondike
« on: 27 December 2022, 14:38:57 »
While not a non-canon unit, exactly, I'm going well beyond Canon in my attempt to collect and paint an entire Clan!  (Admittedly, I'm doing so at the point at which that's only about 30 mechs).

Current Outline:

The Emerald Skate (Heavy Mech Trinary, Elite/Fanatical)

Sudden Death Strike Star
Flashman (Kalasa)*
Champion (CHP-1Nb)
Lancelot (LNC25-01)
Exterminator (EXT-4C)
Spartan (SPT-N2)
Excalibur (EXC-B2b)

Crushing Depths Assault Star
Battlemaster (BLR-1Gb)
Thug (THG-11Eb)
Warhammer (WHM-7A)
Warhammer (WHM-7A)
Black Knight (BL-6b-KNT)

Sea Spine Firespray Star
Archer (ARC-2Rb)
Archer(ARC-2Rb)
Crusader (CRD-2R)
Catapult (CPLT-C1b)
Thunderbolt (TDR-5Sb)

Note: I will definitely be going lighter for the other Trinary.   The Emerald Skate represents both the equivalent of a modern day elite Keshik, and the circumstances that are the initial drop on Babylon. While not expecting the brutal winnowing that resulted, the Khans were expecting notable resistance, and so this represents the touman as equipped for heavy fighting, rather than the later fights against scattered and lighter forces.

Feedback welcomed!  Is there a mech missing that I absolutely should have?  Do you disagree with my picks?  Let me know, and hopefully I can fix problems before I paint!
« Last Edit: 28 December 2022, 16:23:18 by Scrollreader »

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Re: Clan Sea Fox Touman: Operation Klondike
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2022, 19:58:32 »
Did they already hate the NSS and CLPS stealth stuff by the time Klondike rolled around? If so I'd swap for a 4D or 4Db (and as a bonus those were the ones upgraded to the 'early clan' standard).

I like the Crusader in the last star, a good starting point for them eventually creating the Fox
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2022, 20:26:32 »
Op: Klondike has some vague allusions to how Clan-like things were.  On the one hand, you had Truscott setting up a years long spy network with Bugeyes and other surveillance to make sure everything went according to plan for the invasion.   And Zell was, in large part, the result of the death of Andery during Klondike.   

On the other hand, you had the Coyotes, who were inventing new things to be Clanlike, declaring them as such, and only checking with Kerensky about them later.  During the invasion of Babylon, the Yotes almost messed up one of the WarShip cache recovery missions, and then abandoned the Foxes because they went a little honor crazy.

The impression given by the book, IMO, is that the eldest members of the Clans, particularly those with SLDF experience, were far more strategic, and (since many/most of the Khans were of that generation) directed the invasion in a more 'winning is what matters' ethos.  The young firebrands were far more True Believers to Nikky's new society.   

I don't imagine the CLPS was used very far into the Golden Century, but a liberal Clan could certainly justify it, IMO during the invasion.   At least, that's my explanation for why it shows up on the MUL for the Star League in Exile list, and why I included it here. 
EDIT: That being said the place to be tricky might be somewhere other than the Khan's personal Heavy Cavalry Star.  Definitely worth considering putting it elsewhere.
I also admit that the (fluff) idea of using a base five formation against an enemy expecting 4, with an invisible unit seems very fun, for the sorts of Clans who would lean that way (Foxes, Ravens, Mongeese).

The point about the Crusader is well made.  It's both [Ubiquitous] (which I'm making a requirement for duplicate mechs, as a personal rule) and also an obvious ancestor of the Fox.  I may need to see if I can squeeze another one in somewhere.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2022, 20:50:44 by Scrollreader »

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2022, 09:00:38 »
I suppose I should state what my goals here are.

As previously mentioned, unless a Mech is listed as being particularly common among the Foxes (none are, to the best of my knowledge), only mechs with the Ubiquitous quirk should be repeated.   I will consider the possibility for other mechs if I really don't see an alternative that can fill the same role.

I'm working off of this, which is about all the attention the Foxes touman gets in Op: Klondike

"Outfitted very much as a cavalry unit, Clan Sea Fox was probably the least specialized on Babylon. With above average speed and not-insignificant firepower, the Sea Foxes were a part of each of the few major operations on the world. Their rather pragmatic views, sometimes liberal interpretations of Clan law and occasional myopic tactical vision put them regularly at odds with their fellow Clans, especially the Coyotes. On the other hand, the skills they would later develop into a true specialization gave them the jump start they would need in the years following the conclusion of Operation KLONDIKE."

As such, I'm probably not interested in slow mechs, aiming for average to above average speeds in general (hence the Assault Star all move 4/6 or better).  Again, not an ironclad rule, but that's where my thinking is coming from to start out.

Thirdly, I like to group mechs with similar speeds in stars, particularly for an exercise like this.  While ad hoc stars, and in play circumstances can certainly result in very different mechs entering battle together,  for an exercise in which the strategic speed of the Star is limited by the slowest member, it would take a pretty compelling argument to add a 3/5 Mech to a Star that would otherwise be 5/8 or better.

I think I'm convinced to save the Invisible Exterminator for a different star, since although the Foxes are listed as pragmatic, the Khan's star is built for straight up combat.

Any suggestions for another 5/8 Heavy to replace it in the Sudden Death star?
« Last Edit: 28 December 2022, 09:07:56 by Scrollreader »

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2022, 11:32:55 »
Ostsol or Ostroc

Not heavies but others might be -

Spartan - 80 tons at 5/8
Crab - 50 tons at 5/8

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2022, 16:20:02 »
The Spartan is a Mech I had never noticed before.  It's interesting, and also, this one of the few times using one is probably appropriate.   Consider this suggestion absolutely taken, and that can replace the Exterminator in the Khan's star. 

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2022, 07:32:03 »
So I've run into a bit of an issue, and I'm looking for feedback.  Per Op: Klondike, higher ranked members if the initial 40 for each clan can customize their ride. 

The question is, what does that command structure look like?  Normally a Star Colonel runs a Cluster, but the *entire clan* is a Cluster at this point.   The Foxes already have a Canon Star Colonel (Nagasawa), so that's squared away, the question is, how many Star Captains should I expect to have?  Canon is vague, and it is not helped by the slightly different structure of the early clans (a point of ASF is a single fighter at this point,  and we don't have Novas). 

Current rough outline:

Khan (Kalasa)
SaKhan (Sennet)
Star Colonel (Nagasawa)
Star Captain (ASF Binary [10 fighters])
Star Captain (Emerald Skate)
Star Captain (Mech Trinary to be named Later)

It seems a little light on officer ranks. I'd like to squeeze in another Star Captain for the scout star, but I'm not sure I can justify the rank for just 5 mechs.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2022, 07:38:38 »
I could be wrong, but I thought each clan had some sort of "auxiliary" force that was attached. Someone has to be in charge of them

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2022, 10:15:20 »
Oh, I'm sure there are some sort of auxiliary command, if only to keep order, but they definitely don't count as Warriors among the 40 (for most clans, some like the Horses tended to blur this line)

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2022, 20:54:23 »
Swift Foxes Scout Star

Mongoose (MON-66b)
Talon (TLN-5W)
Hermes (HER-1Sb)
Hussar (HSR-200-Db)
Spector (SPR-4F)

Register