Author Topic: Which affiliation uses Portuguese?  (Read 2672 times)

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
Which affiliation uses Portuguese?
« on: 20 April 2018, 14:41:59 »
Please, can anyone tell me which faction in BT uses Portuguese as primary or secondary language? I only know of the Terran affiliation.

Decoy

• Captain
Re: Which affiliation uses Portuguese?
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2018, 14:47:35 »
Basically, any you wish to. There are enclaves of various ethnicities in all successor states and most smaller nations.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2018, 14:54:08 »
Please, can anyone tell me which faction in BT uses Portuguese as primary or secondary language? I only know of the Terran affiliation.

Not an affiliation, per se, but there is a Portuguese ethnic minority on Poznan - a Capellan world circa 3025. 

Portuguese speakers are also on Itabaiana and Recife, but both of those worlds are specified as having been colonized by Brazilians, rather than colonists from Portugal.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2018, 01:49:11 »
Deep periphery, not Inner Sphere, but I'll mention it anyways:
Neo-Portogese is mentioned as one of the many languages that a monk on St. Jean is fluent in, as of 3050 (BattleCorps story Trial of Faith). He was from Hansa territory.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2018, 12:10:03 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2018, 11:03:54 »
Thank you all very much!

kronovan

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2018, 14:15:38 »
The House Marik Handbook mentions Portuguese speaking people on Planet Fletcher in the Duchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League. IIRC they were mostly found in the archipelago of islands near that planets equator.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2018, 12:27:19 »
Thank you for that hint, kronovan. I couldn't find anything, though. Could you provide a page number, please?

kronovan

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2018, 15:38:26 »
Thank you for that hint, kronovan. I couldn't find anything, though. Could you provide a page number, please?

My bad, I was recalling my adds to the canon from my Duchy of Oriente campaign notes. There are Italian and Spanish speakers in the Duchy of Oriente, so I wrote in that people of Portuguese descent can be found in the Suva Archipelago of planet Fletcher, living among peoples of Italian and Spanish descent. I sometimes tend to get carried away with details in my campaigns, to the point that they get recalled as actual canon.   :))

While browsing my Federated Suns Handbook last night for some campaign fodder, I came across a reference to Portuguese. According to a brief entry on page 135 in the Society and Culture chapter, Portuguese speaking peoples are living in some of the worlds along the Capellan March.

Iracundus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2018, 06:14:27 »
I wonder whether New Macao has any Portuguese speakers

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2018, 07:17:40 »
Have to correct myself. Upon re-reading the story, the man speaking Neo-Portuguese as his native tongue came from Nueva Castile, not the Hansa territory.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

ChaoticTabris

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 24 July 2018, 04:01:34 »
Technically it's not canon but Lord Alexander Madeira from the new HBS Battletech game is mentioned on a Kickstarter post as being of mixed egyptian and portuguese ancestry. He comes from the Guldra system which had it's population wiped out during the First Succession War. It could be implied that in the game's canon it was resettled and joined the Aurigan Coalition some time after that.

Darius Oliveira, the XO of the mercenary company on the same game is of mixed brazilian and cuban ancestry. He comes from the Artru system which is also part of the Aurigan Coalition.

That being said considering Battletech was made in the 80s by a mostly american team it tends to have a stronger presence of ethnicities americans are more familiar with. In a way this is good because writing about something you don't know usually leads to offensive or cringeworth results (as a brazilian i still can't get over the fate of Itabaiana being decided on a soccer match between the Combine and Clan Nova Cat). I do enjoy how HBS' Battletech changed that and it's part of the reason why i hope they make it canon.

Register