Author Topic: Cats versus Steiner/Wolf Hunters?  (Read 1792 times)

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
Cats versus Steiner/Wolf Hunters?
« on: 20 October 2012, 18:55:42 »
Hey ya'll, I've got a campaign fight tomorrow starting with combined Steiner/Stormhammer world followed by a fight with the Wolf Hunters and I'm looking for any advice on tactics other than "heat" and "reactive armor".

Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Decoy

• Captain
Re: Cats versus Steiner/Wolf Hunters?
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2012, 19:00:07 »
Wolfhunters, like Steel Wolves have fairly shallow dials. go for anything that lays a smackdown at the start and keep them from getting into their good spot. Stormhammers should be a cinch for Nova cats as you've got heat and energy on your side. Keep the tempo up on them. IIRC They're worse than Sword Sworn at vent ratings, so they can't really cool down.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2012, 00:13:26 »
So just hit hard and deal heat, eh?
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2012, 08:17:09 »
You say a campaign?  Will you get to put captured units on your reserve list?

You can deploy a few Capture Teams of SCat CBAs and TSEMPing PHawks with Pulse Gear added for some real fun.  That's the real point of attacking the Heat Dial.  If you can put a couple of Bypass units in Saxon APCs, just let him know they'll be useful that day.  (anyone that had reason to fear a SCat Capture Team will put a lot of effort in killing the Bypass squads first) 

Remember, killing your opponent's stuff is even more fun when using his stuff to do it.

Also if he likes using Artillery, try entertaining him with a pair of SCat Longtoms, but don't depend on them.  It's fun to watch the shot drift randomly after he moves everything away from it.

Packing a pair of Shock Troopers in a two cap transport can be a good idea if you need to crush his infantry formations.   I like the merc Giggins for that.

Cats like to dance, so keep moving and keep Pushing, then Rest just out of range where he has to Push to shoot.  Your Heat will be much better than his, and he'll still need to vent his heat.

So, yeah, the Heat Dial is the big soft spot to hit.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2012, 12:05:15 »
You say a campaign?  Will you get to put captured units on your reserve list?

Sadly no, but captured units are worth far more.

The point value of an individual piece we call "supply points"; salvaged mechs that are captured are worth their full amount (plus gear and pilot) while captured units that aren't salvaged are worth double.  With excess SP (at this point anyway) you can buy back any lost unit, the only caveat being that 'mechs are double the cost.

You can deploy a few Capture Teams of SCat CBAs and TSEMPing PHawks with Pulse Gear added for some real fun.  That's the real point of attacking the Heat Dial.  If you can put a couple of Bypass units in Saxon APCs, just let him know they'll be useful that day.  (anyone that had reason to fear a SCat Capture Team will put a lot of effort in killing the Bypass squads first) 

Considering how I play, that idea for capture units is great.

I work like this- for 10/150 points I have an enhancement called "paratroopers" that at the beginning of my second turn, allows me to drop any infantry piece with jump jets anywhere I want on the map, as long as it isn't in base contact, a deployment zone, or isn't a building or something that piece can't occupy.  As long as you don't roll a 1 (which deals 2 damage ot the piece) or a 2 (which considers them "pushed") you can use them that turn, which coupled with the first turn to move and find positions means I overwhelm most of my opponents.  Everyone knows how to fight it, but because Spirit cat infantry is so long-lasting (and I'm normally dropping at least 12 units) only luck has beaten me in the past.

As for the campaign, I didn't loose a single match.  With my enhancement using 50 points, I had enough to toss in:
CA105 Shockwave (173 points)
  • 2/1/0 Pilot (Lyons, 11 points)
  • High-Resolution Targeting (50 points)

DOM085 Phoenix Hawk x2 (228 points)
  • 1/1/1 Pilot (CNC Star Commander 10 points)
  • Infrared Magscanner (about 10 points, +1 attack for every extra point of heat your opponent has)

D021 Clan Battle Armor x11 (split into 2 groups of 3, and 1 group of 5)

The only fight that got hairy was when my friend playing house Steiner got a little mad and pulled two Stalking Spiders with 2/2/0 pilots, a Jackalope with Mechanical repair, and a Swordsworn Griffin with anti-personnel for that awesome 6 damage.  The end result (after loosing a few infantry pieces) was with one spider and the griffin captured (the Grif also being salvaged) the Jackalope fresh, but the other spider dead, facing 3 'mechs and about 6 infantry pieces.

Cats like to dance, so keep moving and keep Pushing, then Rest just out of range where he has to Push to shoot.  Your Heat will be much better than his, and he'll still need to vent his heat.

So, yeah, the Heat Dial is the big soft spot to hit.

GC

Yeah, it turned out to be some great help.  I always forget how hard I can push those units, but I've always been somewhat a conservative player.
Cowdragon:

Register