Author Topic: Broadsword's Final Throwdown  (Read 1831 times)

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
Broadsword's Final Throwdown
« on: 28 August 2011, 15:40:46 »
Battle Report on our "Final Throwdown" event for Scott, aka Broadsword on these forums, before he enters the Marine Corp

First pic is a view of our third game:  6 players each with 2400 points.  We tried to make it a team battle with 3 versus 3, but it was taking so long that we dropped that and just attacked the guy on the other side of the field.

From left to right:  Scott's friend Ashley, Scott (Broadsword), Travis in the red shirt (GuppyLips), then Roger, Wade, and finally Leon - the Khan of Clan Mutant Sea Bass.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2011, 15:45:09 by AsburyGrad »
ilClan Wolf - it's about damn time . . .

"Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics." - Worktroll

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
Re: Broadsword's Final Throwdown
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2011, 15:47:26 »
Second pic is my view of the battlefield.  I was facing Wade ahead on my left, and Leon ahead on my right.

"Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics." - Worktroll

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2011, 15:51:29 »
And finally, a close-up of my forces.

From the left: my custom Archangel named "Rex", my custom Seraph named "Bataar", Refuge Daishi, Kaminari Shiro, Veteran NC Nova Cat, and Elite NC Nova Cat.

(Yes kids, this was 2400 points!!)

Rex and Bataar were both painted by Scott, to match Word of Blake Shadow Division colors.  They even have little WoB symbols on the front of the leg.

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2011, 16:06:46 »
FIRST ROUND

I teamed up with John Pounders for Round 1, against Roger and Leon.

John ran 10 Mechs with no gear or pilots.  Although he was pogged mercilously, Leon's artillery could not get a kill in our 75-minute time limit.  John and I were able to eliminate Roger's Widowmaker Daishi, Kenneth Medchelke, a Davion Mantuffel, and salvage a Davion Bishop, while taking no losses.

SECOND ROUND

This time I faced Scott and Leon as a team, with 2400 points each, while I had no teammate but ran 4000 points.  I added a Gamma Regiment Scourge and ROTS Nyx to my army, adding two AAMS systems.

I rolled many, many 6s on my AAMS, which prevented a whole lot of damage.  I drove up the middle of the field, while Scott took several heavy Mechs far left - taking them out of combat.  In the mid-field firefight, I downed Leon's Hammerfall and Cynosure Catapult, and Scott's Rosse Revenge Cave Lion.  I also put 10 clicks of damage into Scott's personal custom Nova Cat "Gnar Kill", but the dang thing ran back and repaired.  I lost my Okami Roku, and my Scourge took a pounding but stayed out of salvage.

THIRD ROUND

The third round is the battle shown in the pictures.  John Pounders had to leave at this point, so the 6 remaining players formed two teams and paired off on 3 boards.

Leon had been talking about wanting to beat me all day long.  I made a mistake on my second turn:  after running all my Mechs forward on turn 1, I pushed the Elite Nova Cat to go for a Pulse assault order on Leon's Atlas.  The first shot hit, but Pulse missed - I should have turned off that gear - so my Mech took 3 more heat and shutdown.  Leon's vehicles and his Hammerfall Atlas (painted up as Chaos) were then able to pound the Nova Cat into Salvage.  My other Mechs eliminated that Hammerfall - but Leon scored the VC 2 points from my Mech being outside the DZ.  Win to Leon!

Altogether, I thought 2 wins and a loss was a good showing in an unusual format.  I think everyone had fun too.  And to Scott - best wishes and prayers for boot camp!

Broadsword08

« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2011, 18:23:39 »
Thanks for throwing up those pics Dale.  I'm trying to figure out how to get the pics I took with the iPod on here, but its whatever. 

I called this My Final Birthday/Deathday Brawl.  Final Birthday because Friday I turned 20 (I'm an old man!) and we traditionally throw a bloody epic battle that Saturday, Deathday Brawl because in One Week and 2 Days time, I will have everything I know and love voluntarily ripped away.  No more Facebooking late at night, Fallout New Vegasing or hanging out with my friends.  Instead, pissed off Drill Instructors teaching me how to kill with my bare hands in a hellish hell hole in South Carolina.  UH-RAH! 

Round 2 was actually my Round 1, and I paired up with Leon.  My army at 2,000 points:

"Gnar Kill" Nova Cat
Me
Improved Targeting

"Rosse's Revenge" Cave Lion
Avanishi Weird Name
Improved Targeting

"Fuku-Shu" Daishi
Saasaki Dude
C.A.S.E. II

HK Vulture Mk. IV
Technical Training
Coolant Gun

All three Shiros. 
Except for Kaminari, they all had their pilots.  Kaminari had Aggresive Stance and Artemis IV.  Hashira had Armor Piercing, and Yami had R.I.S.C. Saturation Fire Mode. 

Nova Cat Savior Repair Vehicle, 23 and 19 point Nova Cat Thunderbirds, and a Scout ATV. 

I was too focused on the middle during the fight against Dale to flank him with Fuku and the Shiros, even though Yami was pretty much firing every chance he got.  I finally, after years of using it, got Gnar Kill to hit with the dreaded 13 damage attack.  It. Was. Awesome!  Again, though, by the time I realized to move that flanking force up, it was too late.  That next turn, I would've killed the Seraph and mauled the AAMS Nyx so hard. 

Next round, I was across from my buddy Wade.  Gnar Kill got assaulted by Black Rose, who paid for it by getting ANOTHER 13 DAMAGE SHOT.  My forces where being pogged around the clock, but we still managed to hit a JF Kelswa in the woods for mass damage.  And Hashira, with a 10 attack, hit a 24 defense on Wade's personal Shrike, "Predator".  Sadly, the second shot form Hashira's pilot ability did not go off.  But its whatever.  I ended up winning on my board, with the dead being a Jade Falcon Thor and Kelswa, and salvaging another Kelswa, two Skanda Light Tanks. 

It was a good time to be had by all, and I sure hope I get to see these good people at the epicness that is The Deep again. 

SEMPER FI DO OR DIE!