Author Topic: Close combat, is this where most mech fights end up?  (Read 20781 times)

AnubisZombie

• Master Sergeant
Re: Close combat, is this where most mech fights end up?
« Reply #60 on: 01 May 2011, 13:31:48 »
I always looked at the small map standard engagements as the terrain you get pigeon holed into fighting on by whatever higher power is directing you're units. The other way I look at it is that due to the sheer crush of units on the field there is no room for the greater maneuver without running through other units battles. Leaving you with the meat grinder.

Add more maps and all of a sudden you can trick a lance into fighting a company in the small fight like a good general instead of like a bad general in the old senario books with a company per mapsheet goin all WWI nobodies commin home meatgrinder.

Downslide

• Master Sergeant
  • Cry Havoc
« Reply #61 on: 01 May 2011, 14:08:02 »
I have a Company leader driving a Banshee 3E.  He puts it to good use getting into the thick of it, and two 10 point punches make him a habitual head-capper. I would like to get the AC-5 replaced with an AC-10, or something with more power, but I'm not complaining.

IMHO, you look at how the 'mech is built, and play to its strengths, obviously. YMMV.
Everyman thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier. - Samuel Johnson

Yes, combat really is a hurtful, deadly thing. 

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #62 on: 01 May 2011, 15:42:07 »
That is a nice picture. How did the poor T-bolt fare? Also, I'm seeing a lot of infantry & tanks in that picture. It is nice to see people use those unsung heroes (they never seem to get any credit when I read about how people play B-tech)

The Leg was opened but it managed to get into the base.

We use tend to use a nice selection of units. I Prefer Mechs in my games. But the group as a whole uses most units.
We even have a regular protomech user.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #63 on: 01 May 2011, 15:51:36 »
It is the nature of the game IMHO.
You can always run forward faster than the other guy can walk back.

Thats quite true.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #64 on: 01 May 2011, 18:07:15 »
I would like to get the AC-5 replaced with an AC-10, or something with more power, but I'm not complaining.
A very interesting option for those that  use the Banshee as a Brawler is to replace the PPC/AC5 w/ a LL/AC10 and reduce the Heatsinks.
Sure you loose 3 hexes at long range but the lack of minimums means you are able to keep pounding away at point blank while kicking & punching and you actually put out more firepower at range.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

saintbrandon

• Sergeant
  • Brandon "Icarus" Taylor
« Reply #65 on: 03 May 2011, 15:30:07 »
My group and I are all new, only once was there any close combat, it was the very last dice roll in our last game...being new I was sitting on the board edge firing away with my hunchback, well to try the rules out my friend in his stinger(I think) death from aboved me right off the edge :S
Don't try to tell me how some power can corrupt a person
You havn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry 'cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head because you know that I'm right, all right

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #66 on: 03 May 2011, 22:19:04 »
My group and I are all new, only once was there any close combat, it was the very last dice roll in our last game...being new I was sitting on the board edge firing away with my hunchback, well to try the rules out my friend in his stinger(I think) death from aboved me right off the edge :S

Ah, the joy of new players trying things out! Watch it! That guy is likely going to be very fond of that maneuvre now!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Register