Author Topic: Fafnir Oops  (Read 911 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Fafnir Oops
« on: 08 January 2013, 21:48:01 »
Bought a Fafnir to paint up for a friend. Just took it out of the blister and washed it. Has a huge chunk of metal on the chin. Now I'm trying to figure out how to clean it off without wrecking it. Anyone else have a similar problem? (Sorry don't have a camera at the moment otherwise I post a pic.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Fafnir Oops
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2013, 22:11:08 »
Does the metal look like a wedge, with a relatively thin connection to the mini? Or is it a big solid chunk?

If the former, try bending it back & forth until it snaps off, then file down the roughness.

If the latter, use clippers or saw to remove the worst, and file down the remainder.

Any chance of a photo?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2013, 22:20:35 »
A big chunk. Okay thanks! No sorry don't have a camera at the moment.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Darzoni

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2013, 23:08:26 »
Bought a Fafnir to paint up for a friend. Just took it out of the blister and washed it. Has a huge chunk of metal on the chin. Now I'm trying to figure out how to clean it off without wrecking it. Anyone else have a similar problem? (Sorry don't have a camera at the moment otherwise I post a pic.)

Are we talking about the underside of the torso, below the nose, where the little fang-like bits are?  If it's fill-like (as in it was miscast or the mold is degrading), you're going to need to reconstruct some details.  I think I had to do a fair bit of cleaning on mine, though that was three years ago.

Register