Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 164427 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #1170 on: 12 February 2019, 11:50:29 »
No, it’s not.
Then we will just have agree to disagree on that point.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1171 on: 12 February 2019, 12:13:01 »
I dont care about alternate universes or updated visuals. I want that the story go forward with the setting (call it "prime" if you wish). That's all.

I know I know... its wishful thinking.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #1172 on: 12 February 2019, 12:58:04 »
I dont care about alternate universes or updated visuals. I want that the story go forward with the setting (call it "prime" if you wish). That's all.

I know I know... its wishful thinking.

I agree, Enterprise was enough prequel for me. I was hoping Discovery would take place after DS9/Voyager.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1173 on: 13 February 2019, 05:31:04 »
I agree, Enterprise was enough prequel for me. I was hoping Discovery would take place after DS9/Voyager.

I hoped enterprise went into the Romulan War the last season was by far it's best IMO but so rushed cause they knew they were done

If that season had been in place of the Xindi one I think the show could have had two or three more really expanded the storyline 
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1174 on: 13 February 2019, 07:59:18 »
I think the Xindi war kinda turned me off to Enterprise. It just felt out of place.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1175 on: 13 February 2019, 09:16:59 »
I think the Xindi war kinda turned me off to Enterprise. It just felt out of place.
I totally agree. The show didn't get it right until the middle of the 4th season when the Reeves-Stevens' took over the writing. However by then it was too damned late to save the show.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1176 on: 15 February 2019, 05:10:40 »

Plenty of inconsistencies in the earlier series, both in looks, visuals, technology and what not.

As long as they have exploding consoles, then it's still Trek.  :))

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1177 on: 27 February 2019, 12:11:20 »
And DISCO's been renewed for a third series, with one of the co-executive producers brought on this year promoted to co-showrunner with Alex Kurtzman.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/star-trek-discovery-renewed-season-3-cbs-all-access-michelle-paradise-alex-kurtzman-co-showrunner-1202565915/
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1178 on: 27 February 2019, 13:12:48 »
And DISCO's been renewed for a third series, with one of the co-executive producers brought on this year promoted to co-showrunner with Alex Kurtzman.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/star-trek-discovery-renewed-season-3-cbs-all-access-michelle-paradise-alex-kurtzman-co-showrunner-1202565915/

But but! I've heard it on youtube by a blogger that it's being cancelled! THE HUMANITY!!!

So much for the vaunted "internet sources".

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1179 on: 27 February 2019, 20:42:17 »
Wonder where they're gonna steer the show after this.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #1180 on: 25 March 2019, 23:01:55 »
Wonder where they're gonna steer the show after this.

The toilet, if you ask Doomcock… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr2DQxLkGSY
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1181 on: 26 March 2019, 01:29:31 »
Why has there been no further discussion of this season?

I would've thought the "return to Talos IV" episode would've generated some chatter, at least.  I was waiting for Pike to make at least a passing mention of those experiences; instead they went whole-hog.

The vintage footage as the opener didn't work for me though.  Personally I would've just had those scenes re-shot with the current actors, costumes, and make-up.  The clash in visual styles was pretty jarring IMO.

(And I also would've thought that somebody would've mentioned that Section 31 apparently has tech about 100 years in advance of the rest of the Federation.)

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1182 on: 26 March 2019, 02:51:58 »
Why has there been no further discussion of this season?

I've been enjoying it no end, but I can discuss it in other places where people just want to talk about what happens in an episode, and not complain about continuity.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #1183 on: 26 March 2019, 13:15:45 »
I've been enjoying it no end, but I can discuss it in other places where people just want to talk about what happens in an episode, and not complain about continuity.

Yep, pretty much. Nobody has to like it, but it’s much more enjoyable to discuss the show without constant complaints and mistaken beliefs created by rumors and fan speculation.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1184 on: 26 March 2019, 13:55:25 »

Same I think the series has gone from strength to strength looking forward to third
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1185 on: 26 March 2019, 14:04:25 »
Eating pizza and enjoying each new episode every friday.

A captivating story is going on, with some interesting twists and character developments. It's not just "reset like previous episode didn't happen".

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #1186 on: 26 March 2019, 14:35:05 »
Yep, pretty much. Nobody has to like it, but it’s much more enjoyable to discuss the show without constant complaints and mistaken beliefs created by rumors and fan speculation.

I disagree!  :P
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1187 on: 26 March 2019, 15:00:03 »
Eating pizza and enjoying each new episode every friday.

A captivating story is going on, with some interesting twists and character developments. It's not just "reset like previous episode didn't happen".

Yeah I like the arc storylines

Who knew Saru could sing

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1188 on: 06 April 2019, 14:10:42 »
So...I haven't been watching the second season (waiting till the season is finished so I can binge it: why pay for several month of a service I wouldn't use otherwise instead of just one?), but I do occasionally read reactions and articles about it. Recently I've read that the show has (or possibly going to) rewrite the origins of the Borg. Do you think that is true?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1189 on: 06 April 2019, 14:16:41 »
So...I haven't been watching the second season (waiting till the season is finished so I can binge it: why pay for several month of a service I wouldn't use otherwise instead of just one?), but I do occasionally read reactions and articles about it. Recently I've read that the show has (or possibly going to) rewrite the origins of the Borg. Do you think that is true?

It's a possible conclusion to the current arc, and I really hope it isn't.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1190 on: 06 April 2019, 16:10:27 »
I doubt it is the origin of the Borg, the motivation of the two entities is vastly different.

And everyone knows the Borg came from V'Ger. :D

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1191 on: 06 April 2019, 16:40:15 »
Section 31 Nano Probes were way more advanced that anything the Borg has....but Discovery tech is way above the tech of TNG let alone TOS series.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1192 on: 07 April 2019, 00:36:39 »
Section 31 Nano Probes were way more advanced that anything the Borg has....but Discovery tech is way above the tech of TNG let alone TOS series.
Kinda, yes. But to some degree that is just part of the whole upgrade of the show into a more modern technology base to make it more appealing/relevant.

It would be silly to keep the old 60s vision of technology (or even the 80s in TNG) for a show produced in 2019.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #1193 on: 07 April 2019, 00:46:35 »
I doubt it is the origin of the Borg, the motivation of the two entities is vastly different.

They're different, but I don't know that I'd say they are vastly different. I can easily see a path by which Control's agenda could mutate into the Borg's raison d'être.

That said, making this season into an origin for the Borg would be amazingly stupid.

And while I'm here: I really, really didn't like this week's episode. Especially coming after last episode's action and emotional punches, this one just left me feeling dissatisfied and even a little angry.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1194 on: 07 April 2019, 00:52:34 »
Which means that is exactly what they are going to do.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1195 on: 07 April 2019, 04:11:45 »
Kinda, yes. But to some degree that is just part of the whole upgrade of the show into a more modern technology base to make it more appealing/relevant.

It would be silly to keep the old 60s vision of technology (or even the 80s in TNG) for a show produced in 2019.

Agreed, this is something that's always baffled me about people wanting to go back to the TOS show looks.  ToS was the 'future' of the 1960's, so everything was primary colours, computers with lots of flashy lights and BIG square buttons, machines that go BING and spinning disk computers.  If you tried to pass that off in a serious show (which Discovery is) as being the future, you'd be laughed at because no one would buy it.  We've got more advanced tech now than they had in ToS Enterprise, so Disco is what we think the future will look like, holodisplays etc etc.  It works in Orville because Orville's quite deliberately a bit tongue in cheek and is very much a homage to ToS and does not go "I am a gritty, realistic show!" unlike Discovery.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1196 on: 07 April 2019, 06:55:37 »
The Pike stuff with seeing his future and the acting of Anson Mount has been the best part of the series so far. The fear and that "time crystal" breaking of him was so well acted and he really showed his fear.  He has made the show so much better and is by far the best actor on the show with a  second being Doug Jones.
Not that upset that Tilly wasn't in that episode.

The Sneaky Covandu

• Recruit
« Reply #1197 on: 07 April 2019, 08:27:43 »
I love Saru.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1198 on: 07 April 2019, 13:04:01 »
The actors are all excelent. The effects are excellent. The production values are excellent... The stupidity of this show is in the story.

They're different, but I don't know that I'd say they are vastly different. I can easily see a path by which Control's agenda could mutate into the Borg's raison d'être.

That said, making this season into an origin for the Borg would be amazingly stupid.

Wait for it... wait for it...
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1199 on: 07 April 2019, 14:28:13 »
The stupidity of this show is in the story.
To each their own.
I find it have much more interesting stories than Orville, og 95% of TNG ever had.

Register