Author Topic: Fan site disclaimer/rules?  (Read 2184 times)

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
Fan site disclaimer/rules?
« on: 23 December 2017, 15:08:59 »
Wasn't sure where to ask this, but back when I was running the "Classic BattleTech" site one of the big things that something of a stink was made about was having a disclaimer fan sites could add so as to be in legal compliance of trademark and copyright. The last version I have of this read:

WizKids LLC has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Classic BattleTech. WizKids, LLC has granted permission to __YOUR_SITE_HERE___ to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any written materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with, this website in any official capacity whatsoever.

Needless to say that's VERY out of date. (I think that's from 2004?!?) Does Topps have a similar disclaimer for fan sites, or are they just not as obsessive about that?

I can't find anything like that on the current site (though that could just be the accessibility failings and broken scripted menu) and when I went looking for other fan sites, most of them are now placeholders, LOTB seems to have just relaunched on new software and not done any customization yet, Sarna doesn't have anything like that (or even anything mentioning the trademark owners?!? A bit wonky for a wiki...), Solaris 7 times out so I'm assuming that's dead, and everyone else is 404.

It's almost like fan sites have gone the way of the dodo... and to think at one point we were talking about maintaining a database/links page of just those.

Thinking on MAYBE re-launching my own BattleTech site and just wanted to do my due diligence first.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
Re: Fan site disclaimer/rules?
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2017, 22:49:07 »
Actually, reading the legal page it comes across like Catalyst has gone full SCO Group; you never go FULL SCO Group...

I take it the age of encouraging fans to create sites is over?
« Last Edit: 23 December 2017, 22:52:52 by deathshadow »

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2017, 09:02:59 »
this isn't a question for CGL. TOPPS would be the appropriate folks to ask.

With that said, the last legalese I received was prior to Herb leaving. It is the very short version you see at the bottom of warrenborn.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
« Reply #3 on: 26 December 2017, 02:25:01 »
this isn't a question for CGL. TOPPS would be the appropriate folks to ask.
To be frank, then why have a website that's the public face of the game? Things like that are what such websites are FOR!

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 26 December 2017, 11:18:23 »
Sorry for the inconvenience.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Register