Author Topic: Celestials - How good are they?  (Read 3721 times)

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
Celestials - How good are they?
« on: 15 August 2022, 14:39:47 »
So, I have never bought any IWM miniatures. All the minis I have are the plastic ones of AS, and the ones from the KS. Now, I have been thinking about buying some Celestials for a future (far future) campaign set in the Jihad (mix of TW/ATOW), to get as opfor against the players. I have both ComStar lance packs from the KS, plus all the other IS packs, so well supplied for a force of WoB, but would be good to get my hands on some Celestials to put Manei Domini as a nasty surprise for them.
The question is, how good are the minis? They look good enough, and quite similar to the art, but are they sized more or less correct? The new KS minis proportions are well made, but many IWM minis have odd proportions as far as I have seen in images (plus the AS minis that are more or less the same). Your classic light mech bigger than a heavy situation.

P.D.: Also, not related to Celestials, but I know IWM come without any hex base, but do the superheavies like the Ares do come with one? I have seen several images with those three leged hex bases that I have not seen on sale at IWM.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: Celestials - How good are they?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2022, 18:01:21 »
The Ares comes with its own base. As for the Celestials there about the average size for IWM miniatures though some are wider than they need to be. As for how nasty they are, properly used there like Clan Omni's on steroids designed to kill Clan Omnimechs and warriors. C3i is no joke.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2022, 19:07:20 »
The Celestials series of OmniMechs were balance group. Show casing some of the new tech of the Jihad and nastiness cyborg mechwarriors could be.

The OmniMechs had good and mediocre configurations, as well custom.  Archangel is arguably one of the toughest.   I like how miniatures themselves can be easily modified to represent what configuration they need to be.  I knew a person used small magnets to various weapon parts to switch things out despite them being painted.

That said, when your playing them. You'd want to be using simplified rules for Manei Domini pilots.  With basic enhancements that negate some troubles that come to piloting these mechs, such as small cockpit penalties.  With cyborg implants (simple rules can be found originally in Hot Spots: 3072)
« Last Edit: 13 October 2022, 22:04:47 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2022, 20:13:38 »
Honestly, the current rules in Interstellar Oprations: Alternate Eras are about the right level of complexity, and that has the modern BV costs.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2022, 21:40:08 »
The question is, how good are the minis? They look good enough, and quite similar to the art, but are they sized more or less correct? The new KS minis proportions are well made, but many IWM minis have odd proportions as far as I have seen in images (plus the AS minis that are more or less the same). Your classic light mech bigger than a heavy situation.

Generally decent. There is going to be a significant step up in complexity from preparing plastic minis. The Celestials were built with alternate configs in mind, and all have either bits or plates (4) to install in the torso, plus arms, legs, head, and sometimes spikes. Casting being what it is, there is some loss in depth during the process that leaves those torso plates fitting poorly. Not a huge deal, but a noticeable gap. They are mostly designed as fairly stocky machines, which does leave the larger ones hanging off the sides of the hexes - I definitely recommend using an XL hex base for the assaults. Better to bump bases than limbs! Nothing otherwise egregious in scaling. Those issues are always inflated anyways. A marked change around 2000, and probably only a percent or two of minis that are really off (Targe) that get brought up every time scale is discussed.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2022, 05:12:00 »
Most of the Celestials are within normal size parameters. The 85t Seraph is a little bit tall (problem of transportation) and the 100t Archangel is as wide as it is tall or deep. If i think of out of dimensions regarding the Celestials it is the Archangel. Still, as Psycho mentioned, it is still within proportions for a 100 ton heavy mech.

I did the magnetised Seraph, but could not get my hands on an alternate weapons set so far. Picture in the attachement. Painting the panels was a bit ... problematic.
As i don't like the long spiky antennas in the rear (again transportation) i cut off the antenna of my Grigori and pinned it. Now it can be detached for transportation.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2022, 11:24:30 »
Yeah, the Seraph is one of the few non-superheavies that has to go in my 3" "oversize" foam tray. (99%+ mechs fit standing up in a 2.5" tray; Seraph, Warhammer IIC, and Phoenix Hawk IIC come to mind as exceptions.)

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2022, 13:02:43 »
Thanks everyone for the answer! By what you say I get that the minis are cool enough. I really like the fct that they look very different to other mechs and similar enough between them to see that they are all related.

Will try to get my hands on some. Here in Europe is going to be impossibily expensive to order them, but found some german online shop, so it would be cheaper to order from them to my country (even if the selection is not as extensive, they have quite a lot).

Thanks again!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2022, 13:46:38 »
Is the 3pack of the Celestials still available?? Im thinking of finally getting them after years.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2022, 14:03:00 »
Is the 3pack of the Celestials still available?? Im thinking of finally getting them after years.
Both 3-packs are still available, and to my knowledge are still the only way to get the B configs.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2022, 16:34:33 »
Are the celestials of the packs only B configuration or are there options for other configurations of the packs?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2022, 17:44:13 »
Are the celestials of the packs only B configuration or are there options for other configurations of the packs?

They are B or the Unique configs for the two different 3 packs.
You can buy prime or A as one-off purchases.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2022, 02:42:12 »
They are B or the Unique configs for the two different 3 packs.
You can buy prime or A as one-off purchases.

Unique configs? What are those exactly?

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2022, 07:15:42 »

The custom configurations used by the six members of the Opacus half of the Opacus Venatori special forces unit. Check the variants sections of these articles: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Celestial_series

For the minis themselves, I adore the Celestials not only for what they represent in the setting and on the tabletop (generally heavy-hitting, top-end OPFOR), but also because the minis have many parts for customization of pose and variants. No better way to grant the Peace of Blake to some filthy nonbelievers without breaking out the WMDs. My biggest gripe with them is the leg poses were at times stiff and difficult to repose into something natural without having to cut and then fill gaps and sculpt damaged details with greenstuff. But as others have mentioned, they are all multi-part minis that will require some good superglue, steady hands, and patience to put together. The end result is dynamite, though.

For what it's worth, the RATs that dealt with the Shadow Divisions all have sizeable numbers of Marik and Star League (and the rare Clan OmniMech) designs in them too, so you could easily sprinkle a few Celestials in with some CGL plastics and still get a very thematic MD force.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2022, 07:21:30 by Crimson Dynamo »
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #14 on: 20 August 2022, 07:23:34 »
They were part of the starterbook: Wolf & Blake. Personalized loadouts not typical for other Celestials, using even more advanced weaponry and systems (VSP-lasers, PPC-capacitors, modular superchargers to name a few). Precentor Berith as commander is rumored to have survived the Jihad and leading the rest of the hidden Blakists (rumor, rumor, rumor... ^-^)

Malak Mi, Preta Kendali, Grigori Rufus, Deva Achilleus, Seraph Havalah, Archangel Berith
All their variants are based on Infernus configurations (said B-models), so the mechs can be painted as Infernus or personalised Uniques (as long as the paint job differentiates between a PPC or a large VSP...).

All these personalized Celestials were bundled into WoB OmniMech Packs I and II and are still available in the online shop.
The only noteworthy exception is the Seraph Infernus/Seraph Havalah. The variant in the pack picture shows a Seraph Comminus (the C-variant) - as long as this is what is in the pack (I don't have it!).

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 20 August 2022, 09:47:57 »
Ah ok, noted. I didn't thought about those. Makes sense, as those packs were made for the starterbook.

Yeah, I know the Shadow Divisions are not exclusively Celestials, and have a lot of Marik designs/production. But those mechs are not VDNI adapted no? Don't remember seing any variant that was.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 20 August 2022, 10:22:46 »
VDNI is not a variant thing. It is after-market modification basically, adds to cost. Rules in Interstellar Operations: Alternate Eras.

Basically you can designate any mech to be using VDNI systems, and needs a pilot with VDNI implants to receive benefits.

Not all Manei Domini have VDNI implants. For example Opacus Venatori's Havalah does not have those, and as such her Seraph probably is not modified with VDNI controls. EDIT Note that VDNI-modified mech can be piloted by a normal person, standard controls are still there.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2022, 10:24:51 by Empyrus »

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2022, 04:57:46 »
I see. Noted. Well, I will try to buy some celestials when feasible, and check the rules associated meanwhile. I have only played introductory rules level so far (been a fan since the 90s, but only have played in the last couple years, and only a handful of times).

Thanks everyone!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2022, 12:44:10 »

Also fyi the unique and B configs are WYSIWYG variants of each other. They just have different weapons but they look the same in the same spots.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2022, 17:53:13 »
The Celestials are some of my favorite IWM miniatures and I think they still hold up against the new plastics coming out. 

Register