Author Topic: Mech of the Week: ZEU-** Zeus  (Read 33097 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Mech of the Week: ZEU-** Zeus
« Reply #90 on: 09 May 2020, 00:28:54 »
Light SRM Carrier Turret Portion.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #91 on: 09 May 2020, 02:04:44 »
Any kitbash of this model must consist of an entire beat up SRM Carrier (tracks included) jammed crudely on the end of the Zeus's arm. ;)

It can give people the Macross Missile-spam Fist?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #92 on: 09 May 2020, 02:17:39 »
Light SRM Carrier Turret Portion.

Attached by duct tape.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #93 on: 09 May 2020, 02:21:08 »
Now I have to try this in the HBS game, since the .json file is out in the open.  ^-^

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 29 May 2020, 16:39:29 »
What would you prefer?   The OG Prototype 5T or the 3050 era 9S?

They are functionally identical really with just a few small changes in back up weapons/armor.

Common features,  ERPPC, ERLL,  17DHS,  LRM15 w/ 1 Ton ammo.

The differences are in the 15.5 tons allotted to Armor & Close range lasers.

The 5T is sporting the following extra items.

Artemis-IV for the LRMs
2 Medium Lasers
12.5 Tons of Ferro Armor  ( = 14 Tons Standard)

The 9S on the other hand goes a little different with the same tonnage.

CASE for the LRM Ammo
2 Medium Pulse Lasers
11 Tons of Ferro Armor  ( = 12.32 Tons Standard)

So one is thicker skinned but the other has CASE for when a breach happens.

One has extra accuracy in close v/s range but anything at range is already handled by the 3 primary guns.

One has better damage at range but then has wasted tonnage if any alternate ammo is used.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: 29 May 2020, 18:28:46 by Hellraiser »

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #95 on: 29 May 2020, 16:52:03 »
And DHS?  That to me is where the decision is really made when comparing range brackets.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #96 on: 29 May 2020, 17:19:06 »
They both use DHS.

How much ammo do they have, one ton?  I think that that can be burned through in a short enough time that lack of CASE isn't a huge problem.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #97 on: 29 May 2020, 18:35:23 »
I think that that can be burned through in a short enough time that lack of CASE isn't a huge problem.

In theory, I agree, and yet, I'm still not sold that it is the better option.

After all, even 2-3 remaining salvos going off is going to gut the CT & remove the mech from your inventory unable to be repaired.

Obviously the ideal would be using ML to dump 2 tons into Armor & having CASE too.  LOL.

I do love the heat curve of these mechs,  34 for long range guns while running for 34 vent from 17 DHS.

By the time the LRM is empty your in close enough to bring the ML/MPL on line.

So simple & yet it has never felt like some of the cheese layouts that you come to see on other designs w/ perfect heat.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2020, 18:42:28 by Hellraiser »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #98 on: 29 May 2020, 21:25:26 »
Sorry, I meant how many DHS.
Colt Ward

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 29 May 2020, 22:50:18 »
As I mentioned above, they both have 17 for 34 cooling.  Perfect for a Running Alpha at long range.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #100 on: 30 May 2020, 02:49:37 »
I definitely prefer the armour.
Not because I don't like Case, but because you gotta have some armour.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #101 on: 30 May 2020, 07:42:56 »
I definitely prefer the armour.
Not because I don't like Case, but because you gotta have some armour.

I tend to use the 9S because I'm playing FRR and they don't get the 5T on their RAT, but I also like the armour of the 5T over the CASE of the 9S (although ideally you'd have both) and have been inclined to use it as an "Ace Custom" ride for a lance commander.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2020, 07:50:28 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #102 on: 30 May 2020, 09:24:43 »
Playing campaign . . . OOC I would want the -9S because I could later upgrade it into the -9S2.  Heck, my campaign HAS a -9S . . . though the -9S2 is not yet available in the time line.  I had half the thing shot away in one of the 'recent' battles that involved urban battling, it got isolated at a intersection (hey double blind!) but IIRC it had shot its LRMs dry.  It was able to hold the intersection and let me mousetrap a few heavy tanks on the street, the Zeus and a Orion were both badly torn up but stopped the counterattack led by the full armor company.  Yeah it was in the repair bays for a while but was able to stand in once the LRMs were shot out.
Colt Ward

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #103 on: 12 June 2020, 13:16:46 »
I'm a big fan of the 9S, simply because it's accessible to most of the Periphery powers even into the Early Republic.  The Zeus fits nicely into fire support, trooper, or anchor roles for the often lighter units of the Periphery, and it's not too technologically advanced for them to support by the time of the Jihad.  The only thing I usually do is dump the medium pulses for either two ER Mediums or two regular mediums to add another ton of LRM ammunition and another ton of armor, but that's a pretty simple change. It also works well the 9K/D Victor and the 9M Awesome, given their similar movement speeds and firepower. Kick in a 7V Longbow or a Salamander, and that makes for a nice fire/battle  assault lance.