Author Topic: Star Wars TV series general thread  (Read 2815 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Star Wars TV series general thread
« on: 04 October 2018, 01:11:19 »
There's gonna be a few different shows being put together, so I'll make it a catch-all when there's more info on the others.  For now, there's Jon Favreau's offering, namely "The Mandalorian."  And thank Lucas it deliberately doesn't involve anyone named Fett.

"After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic,"

This feels like they're gonna go for a more Space Western feel, playing to the Outer Rim and the whole Have Gun Will Travel setup.  Considering how well done Firefly was, and the insane cult following that show got, there's potential in the genre for some good work.  And Favreau's got some solid pieces to his work; I can't help wondering if Cowboys And Aliens is going to have any conceptual influence.  Plus, putting the Western in Space Western, there's a tremendous well of stories to draw from that would fit the Star Wars universe.  Some of the finest films ever made reside in that genre, and I for one wouldn't mind seeing a little love in that direction.

I'm glad they didn't say 'bounty hunter' either - "lone gunslinger" allows a lot of room and might just end up giving us the kind of background Han Solo's standalone film should have had.

Reading a lot into this, I am.  But I'm hopeful.  And I'm desperately hopeful that the Mouse stays hands-off (like they intelligently have the Marvel films) and doesn't CBS it up.  Let a creator create.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Star Wars TV series general thread
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2018, 01:36:52 »
i wonder if the Clonetrooper's will make an appearance. depending on when it is set you could easily hire Temuera Morrison to reprise his role(s) for a few episodes. given it is not long after Jakku the last batch of clone troopers shouldn't be all that ancient looking yet. ( i mean, Temuera Morrison is 57. which means he could easily portray a clone that is 25-30 years old. Jakku and the rise of the New Republic was 25 years after the rise of the empire, so any batch of clones that was started within 2-3 years on either side of ROTS would be about perfect.) andwe know that when the clonetroops go to old physically the empire shuffled them off to retirement.
clonetroopers aren't mandalorians by training or culture in canon, though they were a clone of someone who was (even if the pacifist government they had during the clonewars didn't want to admit it.) so it would make for an interesting dichotomy to explore for a few episodes.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2018, 03:12:08 »
clonetroopers aren't mandalorians by training or culture in canon, though they were a clone of someone who was (even if the pacifist government they had during the clonewars didn't want to admit it.) so it would make for an interesting dichotomy to explore for a few episodes.

While not quite the same thing, Sabine did mention that at least some clone troops were trained by Mandolorians hired to do so...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2018, 08:42:24 »
True enough. Probably some of the clone pilots, given who she was speaking of.
But Canon doesn't have the kind of pure mandalorian training stuff like the Karen Travis novels, where their only training was by mandalorian Mary sue's (mando sue?) so that every trooper was full mando.
Having read some of her stuff, lucas's retcon, while heavy handed, was very much needed. Though I think Rebels, with its synthesis of the best of both, worked out best.

I just think it would be interesting for a clonetroop to be exploring their mando heritage. Would be a nice way to delve a bit deeper into the culture, as well as recap some of the non-film events for new fans.
« Last Edit: 04 October 2018, 08:53:41 by glitterboy2098 »

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2018, 10:25:22 »
...And thank Lucas it deliberately doesn't involve anyone named Fett.

Wouldnt be so sure of that...
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2018, 15:07:01 »
Well, they did explicitly say it's another warrior and not Bubbles & Jingo.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2018, 18:23:35 »
Well, they did explicitly say it's another warrior and not Bubbles & Jingo.

Well Jingo cant be since his head was rolling around Geonosis but Bubbles... can be around 3 years after his fall into a toothed pit so...

They saying explicitly the story isn't about either of them doesn't mean Bubbles cant show up.

Edit = Now the more I think about it... it would be a interesting (I guess) story if that warrior is someone related to Bubbles looking for him since in this new canon we know nothing about Bubbles.

Edit 2 = First image of the show... https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cKg4V79LmBs/W7anacu7Z2I/AAAAAAAAPxY/k7eLb7GFWkEQuFJEoq9L1wyn-didmUHiwCLcBGAs/s1600/the-mandalorian-1024x809.jpg
« Last Edit: 04 October 2018, 19:37:32 by Kentares »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2018, 19:36:58 »
Well, it's going to be set after the fall of the empire and before the events of the new trilogy.  So it could well be.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2018, 19:40:02 »
Well, it's going to be set after the fall of the empire and before the events of the new trilogy.  So it could well be.

If I was a betting man I would bet on it... either as a selling point of the show or later to boost the viewing... and it would make sense if they reuse in someway the now Legends fate of Bubbles in the Sarlacc.
« Last Edit: 04 October 2018, 19:49:26 by Kentares »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2018, 20:03:22 »
That's just the thing, he doesn't need to - and shouldn't - show up.  Too much LOOK AT THAT HEY HEY DID YOU SEE THAT TIE-IN REMEMBER THE NOSTALGIA????? hurts the films; it frankly should be about someone completely different and maybe Bubbles gets mentioned once as a famous guy, but that's it.  Don't keep dragging the same characters on the screen, show us something NEW. 

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2018, 23:30:09 »
i wonder if the Clonetrooper's will make an appearance. depending on when it is set you could easily hire Temuera Morrison to reprise his role(s) for a few episodes. given it is not long after Jakku the last batch of clone troopers shouldn't be all that ancient looking yet. ( i mean, Temuera Morrison is 57. which means he could easily portray a clone that is 25-30 years old. Jakku and the rise of the New Republic was 25 years after the rise of the empire, so any batch of clones that was started within 2-3 years on either side of ROTS would be about perfect.)
I remember hearing about a clone trooper that had been trapped in stasis/suspended animation/whatever Star Wars calls it, that got thawed out post Endor by a band of pirates or something.  There may be some potential there.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 05 October 2018, 03:19:44 »
I remember hearing about a clone trooper that had been trapped in stasis/suspended animation/whatever Star Wars calls it, that got thawed out post Endor by a band of pirates or something.  There may be some potential there.

That was the clone medic CT-6116, Kix, and he was thawed out about 50 years after the Clone Wars (which would place it a few years before The Force Awakens)...he had investigated what Fives told him and discovered about the biochips, but was captured by th Separatists, was cryogenically frozen and was being taken to Dooku, but Republic forces disabled the cruiser that was carrying him...the droids on the ship ended up crashing the cruiser on a planet and a group of pirates found and woke him up 50 years later...he ended up joining their crew...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 05 October 2018, 08:22:48 »
From what I herd here, I'm not interested in The Mandalorian.
I'm not interested in these self-interest streaming pay-walls.

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #14 on: 05 October 2018, 10:09:33 »
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-revealed

The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

It has potential, based on the directors alone.
CDT Agent #319

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 05 October 2018, 10:43:06 »
CT-6116, or 'Kix'.
Specifically he was found by the Crimson Corsair, Sidon Ithano, and the crew of the Meson Martinet. Who interestingly was also the person that agreed to take Finn off Takodana in TFA.
So FN-2187 missed meeting CT-6116 by mere minutes.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 09 October 2018, 19:26:47 »
rewatched the clone wars 2019 trailer.. and noticed something. apparently others noticed as well..
the base in the trailer, which is on a lush forested world.. is the same base used as a cache site by Spectre Group in Rebels, only now it is on an asteroid floating around in an asteroid belt.

what the heck did the seperatists throw at that place that turned an entire planet into rubble? and will we get to see it in action in the new clone wars season?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #17 on: 09 October 2018, 19:45:21 »
If I was a betting man I would bet on it... either as a selling point of the show or later to boost the viewing... and it would make sense if they reuse in someway the now Legends fate of Bubbles in the Sarlacc.

Which one?

In order to make the old Legends continuity work, Bubbles had to fall into the Sarlacc pit three times
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: 09 October 2018, 20:22:59 »
I guess there not going with Underworld name. I think calling it The Mandalorian is mistaken.  Underworld expands the horizon bit more.

Hope it turns out good.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 10 October 2018, 05:04:01 »
Which one?

In order to make the old Legends continuity work, Bubbles had to fall into the Sarlacc pit three times

Huh? Im talking about ROTJ. Forget Legends stuff... its... legends.

Register