Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147486 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #960 on: 13 November 2014, 09:05:57 »
I've not had chance to watch the later episodes of the season, but I'm slowly catching up.

I found that Clara had better chemistry with Matt Smith's doctor than she does with Peter's.  Maybe the writers are all worn out, because I think they may need refreshing things up.  If Doctor's no longer the girl magnetic he used to be because he was being played by a young actor, they should clear the companion and writers to make way for different take of the show.

I don't mind Peter's doctor, but having watched old series and new series up to this doctor, I've found Matt's doctor and David before him were better fits with audience watching them.  Peter's doctor is cool, but he bit too craggy and almost unlikeable way Peter is portraying him.  I found the War Doctor more watchable than this one unfortunately. 

Clara was fine until Peter's Doctor showed up.  Writers I think didn't do hot job integrate these two as team, not the way they captured the audience with Smith.   Clara may need go and properly the writing staff itself it's having that much trouble making things click.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #961 on: 13 November 2014, 10:13:38 »
The first Matt Smith episode I saw was the 50th Anniversary Episode, followed by the last Episode of the Matt Smith run.  And in those two episodes we saw a Clara that understood the Doctor, who called the Doctor on his errors, and who was willing to tell the Time Lords what was going on when the Doctor wouldn't say a word to them.  In those episodes she was the perfect companion in my opinion.
Fair enought.  I have not actually seen those episodes, so my only experience with Clara was during the current Capaldi run.

I found that Clara had better chemistry with Matt Smith's doctor than she does with Peter's. 
Again, I've not seen Clara with Smith, but I agree that for the most part she seemed to lack any chemistry with Capaldi.  Since the show is Doctor Who and not The Companion, I think that's a fatal flaw in the character, whether its the actress's fault or the writer's. 

I don't mind Peter's doctor, but having watched old series and new series up to this doctor, I've found Matt's doctor and David before him were better fits with audience watching them. 
This may be true, but I was under the impression that it was a deliberate choice to go with a different type of Doctor for this reincarnation.  It may alienate some of the previous fans of the "new" Doctor Who, but as someone who remembers the old Doctors (and as an older viewer myself) I find I like the change.  Now, I liked all the actors who played the Doctor in this new incarnation but I like Capaldi's take on the character, too.  Something different is not a bad thing on such a long running show.
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #962 on: 22 November 2014, 21:32:10 »
After watching "Dark Water"/"Death in Heaven", I have to say Michelle Gomez plays a good Master. Think the role suits her.
That said...I wish they had written her differently. To be honest...I find her a female John Simm. That same loony craziness. The Master has always had one problem throughout the show. One that the Doctor has always managed to avoid. Namely: having to follow the line set down by his/her predecessor.

Delgado was the first (and to my mind the best) Master. It is always fun to watch him. Plays the part with such relish. Can tell he enjoys it very much and the chemistry between him and the other actors is great.
Peter Pratt and Geoffrey Beevers only had one story each ("The Deadly Assassin" and "The Keeper of Traken" respectively), so it's hard to judge them. What I remember of Pratt is a well done performance. (Never actually seen "TKoT" to be honest".)
Next comes Anthony Ainley. Who is....good. Could have been great. Unfortunately it seems like most of his stories were written for Delgado's Master. There are moments where you can see just how good he could have been if given free reign with the character. Too bad he was never really given the chance. I think his last performance ("Survival") was his best. It is hard to judge between Delgado and Ainley because they are so similar. If they had been more different, they could have stood together (like each of the Doctor's incarnations do) instead of Ainley forever being in Delgado's shadow.
And next...Eric Roberts. Such a perfect casting ruined by a horrible, horrible script. If it had had a much better script, I think Roberts would have joined D. and A. among the best Masters. At the end of the TV movie, when he has become his full self. You can almost see how great he would have been. He has that charm of Delgado, and the psychopathy of John Simm.
Derek Jacobi would have been great if he had stayed the Master instead of immediately regenerating. Jacobi has even said he enjoyed it very much, would have loved to have come back. (Trivia time: This was actually his second time playing the Master. The first was in the "Scream of the Shalka" webcast. Which is on DVD now, I'd suggest picking it up. A very good story. Richard E. Grant is the Doctor...and honestly he feels like a cross between the Classic Doctors and the new. And kind of similar to Capaldi.)
And then came John Simm. Above I talked about the Master's regenerations not being allowed to be different. Well they did with this one...and how. I think it shows what can happen when you go too far the other way. Simm is a good actor. His role on DW is wacky, crazy, dangerous...but not the Master. At least, not to me. He has no purpose, except to torment the Doctor. And to me...that seems to miss the point of the role. Killing/tormenting the Doctor was never his main goal, it was more like a hobby. And I just never found his portrayal scary or menacing. I don't know, just never warmed up to him.
And finally Michelle Gomez...who feels like a female clone of Simm. Again, what's her motivation? The one she gave to the Doctor seems suspect to me. If that was truly her motivation...I think someone needs to reevaluate this character.

I think the problem with the Master in nuWho...is that the writers feel they have to PROVE the Master is a baddie. For instance her recent killing of Osgood to prove that she was evil. To me, that's just lazy writing. Plus it didn't have any impact because one, you saw it coming the moment the two of them were together and two, Osgood as a character is a non-entity.

I really think Ms. Gomez can be great in this role. But, the writers really need to give her depth. Not just have her capering around the cosmos cackling madly and twirling her figurative mustache.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #963 on: 26 November 2014, 16:04:00 »
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #964 on: 26 November 2014, 17:17:13 »
Don't have the link at the moment...but it has been confirmed that Capaldi will stay the Doctor for series 9 and 10. No word on Jenna Coleman though.

I'm actually really happy about this. I know he's been really decisive...but I love his performance. Was talking with a friend a few days ago, and she said the Capaldi really reminded her of Hartnell. Both started out very gruff, very hard to like...but gradually grew warmer, more approachable.

So I am really looking forward to seeing what he does with the role. (Just hope he get's some better stories. Or better yet...Moffet decides to pack up and make room for a new showrunner...)

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #965 on: 30 November 2014, 00:52:42 »
I just had to share this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8

I'm sorry...I'm so sorry...

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #966 on: 30 November 2014, 06:04:14 »
It illustrates perfectly why Ron Gainer allegedly said "Did I write that?" when he heard the Radiophonic Workshop's arrangement of the theme.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #967 on: 30 November 2014, 08:41:29 »

I'll raise it with this unused intro, complete with Delaware theme.

(IIRC, the theme was used on a couple of episodes during the Pertwee era, but only the Aussie versions due to a shipping error)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #968 on: 06 December 2014, 12:00:06 »

Now we just need a Doctor Who adventure to be set during an episode of Hawaii Five-O.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #969 on: 06 December 2014, 12:20:37 »
So did anyone else here watch "The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot"? It was epic. A vastly superior celebration of the show than the official 50th Anniversary.

And supposedly...Paul McGann has let slip there might be a sequel to it made...maybe released this year...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #970 on: 06 December 2014, 14:33:57 »
I want see Matt Smith doing funny comments in gag films for the new Terminator Movie.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #971 on: 10 December 2014, 19:39:56 »

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #972 on: 13 December 2014, 17:56:01 »
For those of you who haven't had a chance or inclination to get caught up on Classic Who...you can now watch all of the episodes of the entire 26 year run, all at the same time...here.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2014, 14:14:05 by YingJanshi »

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #973 on: 14 December 2014, 09:36:56 »
I also like that if you click on the blocks of the individual runs, it'll bring you to a video of all their episodes.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #974 on: 23 December 2014, 17:18:37 »
I've been listening to the early Big Finish audio plays (can download them on their website for $3 each) at work lately. They do help the time pass more quickly.

And as much I as enjoy the new TV episodes (and Capaldi very greatly), there is something very gratifying in listen to the the BF plays. They really do feel like classic episodes. And I have to be honest, I have a very much greater appreciation for Colin Baker's Doctor now. I know I've said it before, but in these audio dramas his Doctor is much more nuanced then he was in the TV episodes. I think the closest we really saw to what his Doctor has now become was in "Terror of the Vervoids". (And I would have liked to have seen more of him with Mel, but at least now I can listen to them.)

Listened to "The Spectre of Lanyon Moor" today. And I loved it. Nothing spectacular, just a good, solid classic Doctor Who story. Oh, and it has the Brig in it, so that is in itself a major plus (the Brig is one of the coolest companions around). For any "New Tricks" fans out there it also has James Bolam in it (I recognized his voice immediately, but it wasn't until almost the end that I finally figured out who it was, was driving me nuts).

And finally, I want to start a petition to the BBC to make Evelyn Smythe fully canon. She is one of the coolest and most interesting companions the Doctor has ever had. I love her to bits. :D

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #975 on: 25 December 2014, 13:17:14 »
I've been thinking about something for awhile now, would like other Whovians thoughts on it: namely that all, or at least the vast majority of the Doctor's adventures we've seen/heard/read (on TV/Big Finish/novels) are all battles in the Time War. We do know that the Time Lords have used the Doctor as their proxy (the CIA sending him on missions), we also know that they can take control of the TARDIS whenever they please. Who know's what or  who the Dalek's might use as their proxies. And since it is a TIME War, even future Doctors could be part of it. (Just because Gallifrey has been put in a pocket universe for now, doesn't mean that the war is finished. Far from it.)

It would also neatly explain all of the inconsistencies and discontinuities across all of the various Doctor Who media. The time line keeps getting rewritten by all of the Time Lord's and Dalek's shenanigans. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #976 on: 25 December 2014, 23:00:34 »
The Last Christmas was interesting mind teaser episode.   I like how where I am they played last year's special right after it. 

I can't say I'm shocked, but episode end pull rug multiple times on fans i think fooling is she staying or is she cameoing in this special.
I guess we Clara will appear in next season for now.  I'm still wondering if they'll answer the Impossible Girl thing though.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #977 on: 26 December 2014, 01:31:49 »
Jenna Coleman is going to do one more season of Doctor Who per multiple online sources. Just Google her name and you will find it.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #978 on: 26 December 2014, 21:12:25 »
I'm still wondering if they'll answer the Impossible Girl thing though.

That was answered in the 50th anniversary special. What more is there?

I wish Coleman wasn't doing another season, not because I dislike Clara (which I do, but because of the writing for the character, not because of the actor) but because I thought having the Doctor rescue her when she was old and hadn't seen him for 62 years would have been a good way for the character to end her run. I'm not a huge fan who is up on all the history, but has something like that ever been done with a Companion before?

This special was another one of Moffat's too-clever-for-its-own-good stories. By the time we got to the end, I didn't give a rat's ass if they were still in a dream or if it was real or what. The performances from the four guest actors were mostly bland, though I enjoyed Faye Marsay's Shona more than the rest. Nick Frost as Santa was... well, there really was no point to it except that it was a Christmas special so I guess they needed to work in something Christmassy. The story would have been the same whether it had been Santa or some other character.

I enjoyed Capaldi's performance in his first season as the Doctor, but the writing rarely lived up to it. And the writers never seemed to decide if Clara should be an actual character or a mere plot device. Hopefully, they'll do a better job in the next season. And while I mostly liked Danny Pink, I think Clara's arc with him was ultimately detrimental to the stories and I hope the writers don't try to tie her down to present-day Earth too much. One thing I'd like to see more of is just how fun and exciting "all of space and time" would be. Forget a season-long arc and just do one- and two-parters that are well written and fun.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #979 on: 26 December 2014, 21:52:10 »
That was answered in the 50th anniversary special. What more is there?

I wish Coleman wasn't doing another season, not because I dislike Clara (which I do, but because of the writing for the character, not because of the actor) but because I thought having the Doctor rescue her when she was old and hadn't seen him for 62 years would have been a good way for the character to end her run. I'm not a huge fan who is up on all the history, but has something like that ever been done with a Companion before?

This special was another one of Moffat's too-clever-for-its-own-good stories. By the time we got to the end, I didn't give a rat's ass if they were still in a dream or if it was real or what. The performances from the four guest actors were mostly bland, though I enjoyed Faye Marsay's Shona more than the rest. Nick Frost as Santa was... well, there really was no point to it except that it was a Christmas special so I guess they needed to work in something Christmassy. The story would have been the same whether it had been Santa or some other character.

I enjoyed Capaldi's performance in his first season as the Doctor, but the writing rarely lived up to it. And the writers never seemed to decide if Clara should be an actual character or a mere plot device. Hopefully, they'll do a better job in the next season. And while I mostly liked Danny Pink, I think Clara's arc with him was ultimately detrimental to the stories and I hope the writers don't try to tie her down to present-day Earth too much. One thing I'd like to see more of is just how fun and exciting "all of space and time" would be. Forget a season-long arc and just do one- and two-parters that are well written and fun.

I pretty much agree with everything you've said. Though, I did like Clara better in this season than in season 7, it felt like they were still trying to make her more of a real character, not just a puzzle for the Doctor to figure out. But I would like to point out for everyone complaining that it's become too much of "Clara Who"...well, that's just Moffet's vision of the show. I'm sorry I don't have the link handy, but in an interview he basically said that to him the show is about the Doctor, but the main character is the companion. And we've seen that philosophy throughout his run. Just look at Amy and Rory.

And as for whether the Doctor not coming back in 62 years...well, kind of. I mean, the Doctor does have a habit of just leaving people. But an exact example like that...hm, can't think of one right of hand.

I liked Danny...I liked how Clara was trying to have a life beyond the Doctor. I mean, she isn't really quite attached to 12, not like she was with 11. So it seems like she wants a real life, not just travel forever with the Doctor. (And honestly is the Clara/Danny relationship and different than the Rose/Mickey or Any/Rory relationships before the guys started traveling with the Doctor?)
But yes, I'd like to see less Earth-centric stories as well. Get back to exploring the wonders of the Universe.

And I totally agree with your summation of the Christmas special as well. It was...okay. Better than "Robots of Sherwood" (not that that is saying much). It really felt like it had no justification other than that it was a Christmas special. I kept expecting Tiny Tim to show up or the Doctor to break the fourth wall and wish everyone a Merry Christmas (oh wait, he's already done that). In the end this special committed the worst sin any television show can: it was boring.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #980 on: 26 December 2014, 21:56:09 »
*nod*

I think I had a fairly similar problem with the most recent season.  They really didn't seem to make up their mind about Clara and the season long story arc.

As far as the Impossible Girl the 50th didn't explain that one bit.  We got a partial one in The Name of the Doctor but it still really didn't explain how she was able to do what she did and survive.

Christmas Special in particular.  Yeah I got to admit it was predictable and was kind of boring.  I've seen so many similar themed stories that it wasn't even that great of a fake out episode.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #981 on: 26 December 2014, 22:12:58 »
Are these christmas specials/movies replacement for the 10 minute specials like when 5th Doctor meet David Tennet's Doctor then Titantic crashes into the Tardis?

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #982 on: 26 December 2014, 23:42:33 »
I thought "The Name of the Doctor" did explain it...in that when she entered the Doctor's time stream it split her up, so that all of the Claras that died were Clara...but not (for lack of a better term), Clara Prime (the one that got his number from the "woman in the shop").
So Clara from "Asylum of the Daleks" and "The Snowmen" were both Clara...but not Clara Prime...

Are these christmas specials/movies replacement for the 10 minute specials like when 5th Doctor meet David Tennet's Doctor then Titantic crashes into the Tardis?

No. That particular one ("Time Crash") was done for the Children in Need telethon.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #983 on: 26 December 2014, 23:49:43 »
The dialogue in The Name of the Doctor indicated Clara Prime should not have been able to survive being shredded along the Doctor's time line like that.  So it did explain how she was there to die to save his life but not how she was able to come back out from being shredded.  It is a mystery I can live with though as it is really a fairly minor nitpick.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #984 on: 26 December 2014, 23:54:21 »
The dialogue in The Name of the Doctor indicated Clara Prime should not have been able to survive being shredded along the Doctor's time line like that.  So it did explain how she was there to die to save his life but not how she was able to come back out from being shredded.  It is a mystery I can live with though as it is really a fairly minor nitpick.

Put it up to the Doctor jumping in after her and bringing her back out?

Though to be honest...him jumping into his own time stream (from his future no less) should have had fairly apocalyptic effects for the entire cosmos...

(And at least it's still not as confusing as that whole "Pandorica" thing... #P )

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #985 on: 27 December 2014, 00:07:46 »
There are certain things I'm okay with not knowing about Clara and the Doctor.  How Clara was even able to survive long enough for him to pull her out is one of them.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #986 on: 28 December 2014, 13:03:34 »
Xmas special was Inception Doctor Who style. Dreams within dreams within dreams. Oh and Clara was in it from beginning to end. Funny how Doctor got angry when he heard that there is horror movie called Alien. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #987 on: 28 December 2014, 16:14:53 »
I liked Frost's performance in the special, despite him being figment of collective people's imagination.  Specially Santa's car security remote. ;)

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #988 on: 28 December 2014, 19:37:08 »
Xmas special was Inception Doctor Who style. Dreams within dreams within dreams. Oh and Clara was in it from beginning to end. Funny how Doctor got angry when he heard that there is horror movie called Alien.
I said Inception too!  And yeah, the Doctor's reaction to Alien was hilarious.
I liked Frost's performance in the special, despite him being figment of collective people's imagination.  Specially Santa's car security remote. ;)
Nick Frost, playing Santa Claus was inspired typecasting.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #989 on: 29 December 2014, 11:08:38 »
Okay, I do have to admit: having Nick Frost in it made me happy. Especially considering Simon Pegg has been in an episode as well.