Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147489 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #1050 on: 09 July 2015, 22:10:18 »
Well...

that put's the rumor about no Daleks this season to rest. Also, did anyone else see the Doctor rocking out on a guitar? I have to see that!!! Anyone else think it would be epic of Craig Ferguson guest starred?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1051 on: 09 July 2015, 23:13:02 »
Well I'm inclined to say not his Daughter(from the machine) since they said she couldn't regenerate.

Unless Rule #1 is in effect. :P
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #1052 on: 10 July 2015, 00:53:06 »
Or something Timey-Wimey occurred.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1053 on: 10 July 2015, 09:01:46 »
Obviously my inclination could be wrong and I do grant it is only an inclination, not an absolute "not his daughter(from the machine)" notion.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1054 on: 10 July 2015, 12:40:11 »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1055 on: 10 July 2015, 14:52:39 »
And there's also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQouVe5ZBdM

cheers,

Gabe

I wish that was also a special video program too.  :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1056 on: 10 July 2015, 18:12:01 »
Unless Rule #1 is in effect. :P

Actually, as I think about it, I forget that Susan's suppose to be his granddaughter, and we've never seen his first spouse/kid(s)/et al.

(Though I believe his mom was suppose to be on the council.)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1057 on: 10 July 2015, 18:15:04 »
*nod*

Tons of people it could be from the Doctor's past that we have plenty of loose threads for.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1058 on: 10 July 2015, 18:52:27 »
Actually, as I think about it, I forget that Susan's suppose to be his granddaughter, and we've never seen his first spouse/kid(s)/et al.

(Though I believe his mom was suppose to be on the council.)

Well....depends...according to the New Adventure stories published in the 90s Susan wasn't technically the Doctor's granddaughter...but...well it's complicated...

Yeah, I do believe RTD did say that...then again he's also said it could have been the Doctor's wife...or even Susan once...so...

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1059 on: 10 July 2015, 18:53:33 »
*nod*

Tons of people it could be from the Doctor's past that we have plenty of loose threads for.

True that.

Well....depends...according to the New Adventure stories published in the 90s Susan wasn't technically the Doctor's granddaughter...but...well it's complicated...

Yeah, I do believe RTD did say that...then again he's also said it could have been the Doctor's wife...or even Susan once...so...

We'll just have to see.
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1060 on: 10 July 2015, 19:01:24 »
We'll just have to see.

Honestly, I rather hope we don't. I really miss the Doctor being a mysterious character. From Tennant on it seems like they just keep tearing away more and more of the mystery of the Doctor. :/

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1061 on: 10 July 2015, 19:53:00 »
Tennants Dicor still had mystery.  Its been Smith's that seems to have the mist backstory filked out.  Almost like Moffat is trying to force his vision onto everyone.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #1062 on: 13 July 2015, 12:07:30 »

The BBC made the new adventures stories non-canon.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1063 on: 13 July 2015, 14:06:11 »
The BBC made the new adventures stories non-canon.

Well they were never really canon to begin with. But I still think on the whole they're better stories than the revived TV show. (And the Big Finish plays are even better still.)

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1064 on: 18 September 2015, 21:24:40 »
Anyone been watching the marathons? Also, they announced that Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald) is leaving in Series 9 for her role as Queen Victoria in an upcoming BBC Series. Wonder who we will get next?
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1065 on: 19 September 2015, 06:30:11 »
There have also been two prequel mini-episodes to season 9 released with the second airing on BBC America last night at 10 PM ET...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1066 on: 19 September 2015, 14:42:15 »
Well BBC did something stupid and released the promo to Episode 2 early; even before Episode 1 aired

Davros is back!
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1067 on: 20 September 2015, 03:35:22 »
So, an interesting perspective...
Assuming that Missy/The Master isn't lying about the Doctor being her best friend,
it raises an interesting bit of alien-ness to the Time Lords we had not seen before. I mean,
what sort of best friends try to kill each other? The kind where the society encourages
growth through conflict. And suddenly, with that, everything makes sense: His companiosn are
friends..so he makes sure they go through the crucible that shapes them into better people.
The same as he and the Master try to kill each other to make each other rise above themselves..

What do people think on that speculation?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1068 on: 20 September 2015, 03:35:38 »
BBC America dropped "The Magician's Apprentice" for free on Facebook.

All I can say is...wow...

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #1069 on: 20 September 2015, 03:49:02 »

I like that speculation.   Really something to mull over honestly.   Lets see how this pays off!
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1070 on: 20 September 2015, 08:50:26 »
Assuming that Missy/The Master isn't lying about the Doctor being her best friend,
it raises an interesting bit of alien-ness to the Time Lords we had not seen before. I mean,
what sort of best friends try to kill each other? The kind where the society encourages
growth through conflict. And suddenly, with that, everything makes sense: His companiosn are
friends..so he makes sure they go through the crucible that shapes them into better people.
The same as he and the Master try to kill each other to make each other rise above themselves..

Hm, while I would agree about his companions...I'd have to disagree about the Doctor/Master relationship.
It's been pretty clear from even early in their onscreen relationship that they were very good friends once. They've always been dropping hints on the show even since the Classic series.
The Doctor and Master did belong to the same College after all.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1071 on: 20 September 2015, 10:27:15 »

To quote something I saw on an old bottle of soap:

"The surest way to defeat your worst enemy is by becoming his most sincere friend."

Five rounds, rapid!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1072 on: 20 September 2015, 18:07:33 »
It makes sense.

Overall despite growing tired of seeing the same old enemies time and time again I think this story rather worked well, especially for what it seems to be setting up for what seems to be the season long theme.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1073 on: 22 September 2015, 06:13:41 »
I wonder if they'll shake up things by adding new villians this seasons or new threats that will be around. 

Since Peter joined, i don't know.  Its not the same as when Tennent and Smith were on.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1074 on: 22 September 2015, 10:12:11 »
How did the Doctor initially fail to realize that he was on Skaro in the middle of the Kaled/Thal war?  He'd been there before, he knew what conditions were like and should've been familiar with the mix of high/low tech the combatants had been reduced to using by that point.

Now those hand mines...anybody else think of the cover of Stephen King's Night Shift?  Especially the story "I Am The Doorway" ?

And who do you think is more deserving of the title of Doctor's Archenemy... Davros, or the Master/Missy ?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1075 on: 22 September 2015, 13:51:00 »
How did the Doctor initially fail to realize that he was on Skaro in the middle of the Kaled/Thal war?  He'd been there before, he knew what conditions were like and should've been familiar with the mix of high/low tech the combatants had been reduced to using by that point.

I think that was explained by the Doctor rather well.. He did ask which war was it, because he had seen so many. There could easily have been others with similar mixes of high/low tech on other world.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1076 on: 22 September 2015, 22:50:08 »
I think that was explained by the Doctor rather well.. He did ask which war was it, because he had seen so many. There could easily have been others with similar mixes of high/low tech on other world.

Point taken, but couldn't the TARDIS have given him some indication as to where he was?  AFAIK, that planet has not been repeatedly relocated in space...

What do you all think about the yet-again re-jigged presentation of Clara here?  We don't know how much time elapsed between this story and "Last Christmas", but it seems like she and the Doctor have been apart again for a while.  And yet, she now seems to be acting as the Doctor's proxy on Earth when he's not around.  She seems much more mature, more hard-edged, and has insight into the the Doctor's way of thinking and doing things that very few, if any, other companions have ever had.  At first I thought this was just another step in the continuing Mary Sue-ification of the character, but then I considered who the episode's villain was, and remembered his previous monologue about how the Doctor molds his companions into a proxy army.  In Clara's case, it certainly seems to have worked.  Though that theme would've been more in keeping with last season.

cheers,

Gabe

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1077 on: 26 September 2015, 21:19:55 »
NEW SONIC!!!!

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1078 on: 26 September 2015, 23:36:46 »
I've not seen 9th season yet aside the preview. i'm trying get my wife watch. i've gotten see 3 episodes of the 8th season, up to episode 8.    Curious see what going on with Missy joining forces with the Doctor.  Preview for season 9 has doctor rocking out.  funny and weird.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1079 on: 27 September 2015, 09:31:46 »
After watching the episode, I had to wonder, Has the Doctor ever heard a Dalek cry for mercy?  I mean, IIRC, Rose showed one mercy, one begged River Song for mercy, albeit in vain. 

Oh, and I wonder what plans Scary Poppins is going to come up with.
Five rounds, rapid!

Register