Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147489 times)

solmanian

• Captain
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #1140 on: 07 December 2015, 13:43:43 »
Damn you for putting spoilers in the spoilers tags!!!  #P
Don't you know you only suppose to put in there benign knowledge that everybody guessed already?

p.s.
Maybe should implement "super spoilers" tags, where you need to input a password to see it?
« Last Edit: 07 December 2015, 13:45:21 by solmanian »
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1141 on: 07 December 2015, 19:19:33 »
So I guess Clara and Me work at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.  Given that Mr. Adams contributed to Dr. Who....
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1142 on: 08 December 2015, 08:15:25 »

Did anybody else catch the Buckaroo Banzai and Game of Thrones references?

FYI:  Donald Sumpter, the actor who played Rassilon here, and who is known to some of us primarily as Maester Luwin from the first 2 seasons of _Game of Thrones_, first appeared on _Doctor Who_ all the way back in 1968, in "The Wheel In Space".  That's the thing about this show:  even actors who were involved with it half a lifetime ago seem to like coming back.

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 08 December 2015, 08:53:09 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1143 on: 08 December 2015, 22:58:03 »
Damn you for putting spoilers in the spoilers tags!!!  #P
Don't you know you only suppose to put in there benign knowledge that everybody guessed already?

p.s.
Maybe should implement "super spoilers" tags, where you need to input a password to see it?

Which is why I had asked previously:  how long after an episode is aired should serious discussion be "embargoed"?  Even with the use of spoiler tags?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1144 on: 08 December 2015, 23:06:36 »
Well I have a theory on the last question asked:

I think they were waiting for the Doctor's return.  Someone who could be seen as a legitimate replacement without it coming across as another military dictatorship.

And it's not the first time the Doctor has claimed the presidency either.  But he's never stuck around to actually fulfill the duties of the position.  So with the entire High Council gone, doesn't that leave something of a power vacuum on Gallifrey?

cheers,

Gabe

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #1145 on: 09 December 2015, 13:58:33 »
The episode was a colossal let down, and yet more Moffat ego stroking. Which annoys me extra, because I thought this season was the strongest since Moffat took over.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1146 on: 09 December 2015, 15:29:18 »
Oh, I dunno, I thought the episode was awesome.  Although:

I hear there was some backlash about the Doctor shooting the General.  I had no problems with it myself.  I'm not going into the reasons he did it, but I noticed that he at least asked the general what regeneration he was on.  Personally, I think if that was the General's last incarnation, I don't think the Doctor would've pulled the trigger.  But that's just me.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1147 on: 09 December 2015, 19:21:25 »
Here's just some of my issues with it...

Shooting the General
The return of Gallifrey wasn't even a side-show, is was a device towards Clara's resurrection. This should have been an entire arc for a season, not just, oh hey Gallifrey's back, oh look, shiny  >:(
Undoing Clara's death! As it stands, she is effectively immortal. LAME.
The Time Lords needed the Doctor to point out that Rassilon needed to be removed.
That Rassilon just took off after being told by the Doctor to leave. WHAT?! Rassilon was THE Time Lord, he built their empire. Weak.
Me is such an annoying character.
What was the ACTUAL danger that set off ALL the cloisters?
The Doctor playing Clara's theme on his guitar
Clara's ****** TARDIS
Given that Time Lords can sense each other, it shouldn't matter that Gallifrey was at the end of the universe, the Doctor should have known.
That bloody barn. Again.

Oh, and the next time where we see that River Song is back. I might just throw up.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1148 on: 13 December 2015, 12:57:54 »
For those of you that want to own your Doctor Who rather than just get it via Netflix and the like, Barnes and Noble has British tv dvd's on sale through tomorrow for 50% off...I just added 9 more original serials to my collection. Only 79 left to go to have all the ones currently available...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1149 on: 15 December 2015, 08:53:37 »
Watch Paul McGann take a stab at the epic anti-war monologue from "The Zygon Inversion" using his 8th Doctor persona:

http://io9.com/watch-the-eighth-doctor-totally-nail-the-twelfth-doctor-1747897840

Is there really no way to get this guy to appear alongside the current Doctor?

cheers,

Gabe

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #1150 on: 15 December 2015, 09:04:06 »
Oh, and the next time where we see that River Song is back. I might just throw up.

I have actually been waiting for River Song's return to see how she interacts with 12th Doctor. If that interaction is good then it would be worth waiting for least to me.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1151 on: 15 December 2015, 09:18:10 »
I have actually been waiting for River Song's return to see how she interacts with 12th Doctor. If that interaction is good then it would be worth waiting for least to me.

I really hope that it's the closing of the loop started in "Silence In The Library", and that the special ends with River going off to take up the Library assignment and #12 trying to stop her, breaking their "no spoilers" policy.  However, the trailer seems to indicate that this will be a light-hearted romp.

What will make *me* throw up is if the Headless Monks return.  Most useless Who monster ever (well, next to the Abzorbaloff).

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1152 on: 23 December 2015, 00:43:21 »
I'm really quite surprised that there was so little discussion of the season finale here...did it really leave most of you guys cold/disgusted?

So, we got Gallifrey back.  Out of the pocket universe, near the end of time, seemingly under the Time Lords' own power.  How did they do it???  Well, I think there's only one way it could've happened, really...and only one person who could've engineered it.

cheers,

Gabe

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1153 on: 23 December 2015, 12:59:28 »
I'm really quite surprised that there was so little discussion of the season finale here...did it really leave most of you guys cold/disgusted?

So, we got Gallifrey back.  Out of the pocket universe, near the end of time, seemingly under the Time Lords' own power.  How did they do it???  Well, I think there's only one way it could've happened, really...and only one person who could've engineered it.

cheers,

Gabe

I've made my feelings on it pretty clear.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1154 on: 24 December 2015, 03:38:49 »
Kind of off topic(well, not really, but not a new ep), but I was thinking about "Sleep No More."  Mind, I probably need to rewatch the episode(first time around, as I said, it did nothing for me, but that was more due to my mood and mindset at the time), but I thought about something:  Am I crazy, or was the flip-flopping between color-I'm sorry, colour and black and white suppose to be a nod to the B&W episodes?

(I need sleep, I'm coming up with crazy ideas. :P )
Five rounds, rapid!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1155 on: 26 December 2015, 01:35:39 »
So, I guess this is why the Doctor has been putting that date off. :(

I thought it was rather sad that she didn't recognize who he was.  Guess it's kind of an odd form of foreshadowing.  OTOH, given how many people, as well as minerals, she was married to... :o

Still, though, that's a nice Christmas gift, for once they don't meet in reverse order. :)  Pity we probably won't get to see her again. :(
Five rounds, rapid!

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1156 on: 26 December 2015, 05:24:20 »
I thought it was rather sad that she didn't recognize who he was.  Guess it's kind of an odd form of foreshadowing.  OTOH, given how many people, as well as minerals, she was married to... :o

Or, maybe she DID know who he was, but was trying to pretend he wasn't to keep from
ruining his cover...until the moment he said something where she could no longer hide who he really
was?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #1157 on: 28 December 2015, 10:15:23 »
OK - so two things:

1) Positive.  The season 2 finale of the Librarians, Flynn Carson and co. realize they must time travel, and look through the Library's collection of time machines.  When Cassandra partially reveals a Blue Police Call Box a bar of a distinctive theremin piece plays.  A moment later someone exposes the license plate "Justintime" on the back of a distinctive car, while legally distinct music plays.  I'm certain some of the other time machines in the scene were from other shows, but I didn't recognize any on two play throughs.  Certainly nothing as distinctive as a large stone donut.

2) Negative.  I have been trying to dredge up any enthusiasm to watch this season.  Missy in last season's finale was that much of an annoyance.  Then, once again, after a Companion's second final departure, she returns.  I am tempted to just ignore the show until Moffatt is gone.  But, I see that the Gallifrey arc plays heavy in this season, and I don't want to miss anything important.
OTOH Missy is back again.  >:(

I've skipped reading this thread all season to avoid spoilers.  I would appreciate it if I could get a few spoiler free thoughts.  Some advice on whether or not this season was worth my time.

Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1158 on: 28 December 2015, 15:37:30 »
I really enjoyed this year, but I'm of the opinion that most Whovians online take the show far too seriously, and generally find a lot to like every year.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1159 on: 03 January 2016, 10:31:29 »
 Hey did they do Christmas  special for 2015?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1160 on: 03 January 2016, 10:59:51 »
The Husbands of River Song.

It was okay and certainly wasn't the worst Christmas Special but it wasn't the best either.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1161 on: 03 January 2016, 13:57:52 »
Thankfully, there was a lot less IT'S CHRISTMAS!!! than in previous years. Also, the least obnoxious appearance of River Song since series 4.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1162 on: 04 January 2016, 10:39:16 »
Thankfully, there was a lot less IT'S CHRISTMAS!!! than in previous years. Also, the least obnoxious appearance of River Song since series 4.

The two leads were really hamming it up and having a good time.  Arguably, Alex Kingston has better chemistry with Capaldi than she did with either Tennant or Smith.

And I got what I wanted from it:  it basically closes the loop started in "Silence in The Library".

cheers,

Gabe

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1163 on: 04 January 2016, 13:22:14 »
Over all it was good Christmas episode. Not as good as Christmas Carol but then again that one is hard to beat. Interaction between River and current Doctor was better than I thought so it was worth all wait just for that alone. Everything else felt rather average.     

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1164 on: 04 January 2016, 20:20:08 »
I've been holding back watching Season 9 until i could convince my wife to watch.  Dam has broken finally, i'm on Episode 3.  Gaud. I hope darn hecks (i've not seen rest of the season yet.) that Doctor looses the Raybands....that just too odd and gimmick for me.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1165 on: 22 January 2016, 17:48:24 »
Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits to be replaced by Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall
Only a Doctor Who Christmas special will air in 2016. Moffat's final series to be broadcast next year in order to create a “huge event” for fans. Chibnall will begin his tenure in 2018

Steven Moffat has decided that his “timey wimey” as showrunner of Doctor Who has come to an end and he will step down as the show’s lead writer and executive producer after six series at the helm, RadioTimes.com can reveal.

Moffatt will hand over the keys to the TARDIS at the end of the next series in 2017 to Broadchurch writer and Doctor Who fan Chris Chibnall.

BBC1 has decided to air Moffat’s final 12-part series - the 10th of the modern era - in spring 2017. Chibnall’s debut series as head writer and executive producer will launch in 2018.

A Christmas special WILL air this year overseen by Moffat, though it is unclear whether Peter Capaldi’s new companion will feature. The companion, who will replace Jenna Coleman's Clara Oswald, will definitely be in place for the spring 2017 series, say BBC sources.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/doctor-who-showrunner-steven-moffat-quits-to-be-replaced-by-broadchurch-creator-chris-chibnall3

Chibnall would not be my choice to take over
« Last Edit: 23 January 2016, 04:21:39 by Lorcan Nagle »
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #1166 on: 22 January 2016, 18:27:37 »
Broadchurch season 1 was good.  I couldn't get into s2, and am shocked it is still going.  What part of the season long mystery that was solved in the first season hasn't been resolved?
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1167 on: 23 January 2016, 00:45:36 »
The more concerning thing is that we won't be getting any new Who in 2016, save for the Christmas special (perhaps).  The Euro championships and the Olympics will be over (or almost so) by the time a new season of Who would otherwise begin in August, like it has the past 2 years.  I think there's something more going on here...shades of 1985-1986, anyone?

cheers,

Gabe

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1168 on: 23 January 2016, 08:35:33 »
Sports broadcasts have habit of having priority over written programs like Doctor Who. It's reason why we here in Finland were one episode behind with season 9.   

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1169 on: 25 January 2016, 11:38:25 »
The more concerning thing is that we won't be getting any new Who in 2016, save for the Christmas special (perhaps).  The Euro championships and the Olympics will be over (or almost so) by the time a new season of Who would otherwise begin in August, like it has the past 2 years.  I think there's something more going on here...shades of 1985-1986, anyone?

cheers,

Gabe

Maybe more like the end of Davies run. I just REALLY hope we get a case where the Doctor stays the same..I would love to see what someone other than Moffat can do with Capaldi's Doctor. I can understand taking a year to get a new head broken in, working out, etc with the christmas special to be the hand over of the reins.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)