Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147494 times)

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #1320 on: 16 July 2017, 22:56:34 »
Hmm...sounds a lot like many of the older Doctor's, especially the First Doctor who continually (and usually on purpose) got Ian Chesterton's name wrong (one of his first companions), locked his granddaughter out of his TARDIS and left her on a 22nd century Earth just recently freed from the Daleks, etc....and the second Doctor who acted like a space hobo to trick people into underestimating him...and the Fourth Doctor, who often reminded his companions that he wasn't a human...and the Fifth who didn't try to go back in time to save Adric...and the sixth who actually tried to strangle his companion when he first regenerated (of course, said companion WAS Peri, so...)...and the Seventh, who serials started revealing a darker past...can't remember much on the third, or I would have commented on him as well...

Combine those traits that are already there with the events of the Time War, and everything that's happened since...

I personally had no issues with Capaldi's Doctor being a tad Scottish in outlook...

;)
Ruger

"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1321 on: 16 July 2017, 22:57:27 »
(And I hope that Jodie turns out to be a good Doctor. :) )
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1322 on: 16 July 2017, 23:21:44 »
I have no strong opinion on the announcement.  But, I am wondering if Missy may have been some sort of 'beta test' to see how gender switching would work for the show before trying it with the Doctor.

And now I'm wondering if Romana should be a dude when she comes back
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1323 on: 16 July 2017, 23:35:30 »
It is impossible to determine for sure what drops a shows viewing numbers but I do think the method by which they are gathered is flawed or networks are putting too much emphasis on first time broadcast viewing numbers for this modern age of streaming/internet viewing/DVRs.  Possibly both.  All I know for sure is that I watch very little actual live TV.

I'm actually okay with the Doctor becoming a woman.  In a way I think it was past time for such a change.  By waiting this long it does seem more like the execs trying to stay relevant in the modern social environment than making a legitimate "what is best for the show" change.

So as long as they don't try and make the Doctor have some new love interest.  Reviving an old one can be tolerated on my part, the Doctor's certainly had a couple, as long as it isn't human and is well written.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1324 on: 17 July 2017, 04:35:51 »
Well, technically, the Doctor being interested in a human is kind of like a human being attracted to a particularly clever Alsatian dog. Rithshathra aside, I don't think the BBC is quite ready "sex outside one's species".

And yes, 9th Doctor's attraction to Rose was, for me, kinda "yuck", and I'll be kind & put it down to post-Time War PTSD. Worth noting the copy left behind with Rose was genetically human.

Counterpoint 4th Doctor's treatment of Leela, vs. Romana. (Although if they meant that at the time, they're better than I give them credit for.)

So let's see.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1325 on: 17 July 2017, 11:32:22 »
I'm on the fence about this.  I'm sure Jodie Whittaker will make a great doctor.  It really depends on the writing and how much a good mix / chemistry the cast will have.  I honestly don't know.  Not everyone will like this change in direction. 

I don't think the series will have same feel to it.  Certainly this change in the show will split the fan base up a bit until a) they get used to it or b) drop the series. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #1326 on: 17 July 2017, 13:45:57 »
I'll reserve judgement on Whittaker as the Doctor until I see her in the role, same as anyone else who's taken the part.  If she's half as good as Michelle Gomez as the Master, then she'll be a great Doctor.

That said, I will bitterly miss Capaldi's Doctor nonetheless.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1327 on: 17 July 2017, 15:12:54 »
Does anyone know how we can start a petition to get Capaldi working with Big Finish making new audio dramas? (That would be so cool!)

[EDIT: Didn't want to add a new post so soon after my last one. But from talking to all my Doctor Who friends (I mean real friends, not just internet acquaintance), almost all of the ones against the new Doctor being female are female themselves. These friends run the gamut of old-school Whovians that been with the show since it was on PBS in the '80s, to ones that came on with Smith. Most of the guys are indifferent to a couple that were excited. Granted, small sample size (less than 20), but I was still surprised by that. Anyway, was just a random observation.]
« Last Edit: 17 July 2017, 17:25:31 by YingJanshi »

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #1328 on: 17 July 2017, 17:25:47 »
I've read reports indicating it's unlikely Capaldi would want to have anything more to do with what he sees as a cheap and exploitative franchise.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #1329 on: 17 July 2017, 17:48:05 »
Hadn't heard anything about that. Details?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1330 on: 17 July 2017, 20:57:18 »
Wat... :o

That's does not sound good.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1331 on: 17 July 2017, 21:26:00 »
I've read reports indicating it's unlikely Capaldi would want to have anything more to do with what he sees as a cheap and exploitative franchise.

Eh...there's too many reports going around. I wouldn't read too much into them.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #1332 on: 17 July 2017, 23:29:26 »
Hadn't heard anything about that. Details?

Quote from: Peter Capaldi
Doctor Who is a great job, but it is a bit of a television factory. You do twelve episodes a year, and I just worried that I wouldn’t be able to continue to do my best work. I like to be able to learn the lines and do some preparation and come in and give it some vigor and not hate it.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #1333 on: 18 July 2017, 05:45:21 »
That still seems a bit of a leap.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1334 on: 18 July 2017, 09:41:17 »
Yeah...that's basically what Tennant and Smith said when they left too. And they're both engaged with the show even after they left.

(On a said note, I do always laugh when they complain that 12 episodes is too much, considering most shows in the US have twice that many in a season. Then again I guess it would be a lot to do if you are used to only doing 4 or 6 episodes a season...)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1335 on: 18 July 2017, 11:29:00 »
Is Tennant more involved? Like producing or writing?  He was with new show runner in his last gig.  I though i read David Tennant was in deeper this time.

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #1336 on: 18 July 2017, 11:51:05 »
Personally, I think they should have left the Doctor's gender the 1 trait that doesn't change. Yes, his DNA is rewritten, but whatever, not my decision.

A buddy of mine summed up my feelings on this:
'm still a bit torn on this, but I'm not upset at it at all. It'll really depend on the writing. If the show just goes on as it generally does with a new Doctor, it'll be fine. If they make a big production out of it and have it be a real, "Look at me, I'm a WOMAN now!" it will likely be bad, but that will have nothing to do with her or the fact that the character is a woman now, it'll be on the writers.
CDT Agent #319

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1337 on: 18 July 2017, 13:20:39 »
I would had been happier if the Doctor's Daughter came in and replace him.  Even if she was different actress.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1338 on: 18 July 2017, 14:43:36 »
Is Tennant more involved? Like producing or writing?  He was with new show runner in his last gig.  I though i read David Tennant was in deeper this time.

He's big on going to cons when he can. And he and Catherine Tate have done some audios for Big Finish. He might not have anything to do with the show anymore, but he is still very much engaged with the wider world of Doctor Who.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1339 on: 18 July 2017, 17:12:49 »
Personally, I think they should have left the Doctor's gender the 1 trait that doesn't change. Yes, his DNA is rewritten, but whatever, not my decision.

A buddy of mine summed up my feelings on this:

Except that we've had at least three instances of Time Lords changing gender in the show's history.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1340 on: 18 July 2017, 17:55:11 »
Except that we've had at least three instances of Time Lords changing gender in the show's history.

Four now...The Corsair (granted, mentioned only, in The Doctor's Wife), the Master to Missy, the General (seen in Hell Bent), and now the Doctor...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1341 on: 18 July 2017, 23:29:32 »
And apparently there was talk about doing that to the Doctor back in the 80's, so there's that.
Five rounds, rapid!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1342 on: 19 July 2017, 01:00:31 »
Yeah, since Ton Baker announced he was leaving.  Joanna Lumley was a fan favourite to take over as The Doctor at the time, casting her as the Thirteenth Doctor in The Curse of Fatal Death was an in-joke to that.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1343 on: 19 July 2017, 03:07:10 »
Yeah, since Ton Baker announced he was leaving.  Joanna Lumley was a fan favourite to take over as The Doctor at the time, casting her as the Thirteenth Doctor in The Curse of Fatal Death was an in-joke to that.

Gee, how ironic. :O

(I'm not saying that in a bad way, I still think it was an odd coincidence.  Unless.....S/HE DOES EXIST!!!! :O )
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1344 on: 19 July 2017, 09:13:38 »

That had perfect casting all round actually. Jonathan Price as the Master was priceless. And interestingly enough Jim Broadbent had played the Doctor before that on a different sketch show.

And Richard E. Grant also played the Doctor in "The Scream of the Shalka" which was a fantastic story by the way. (And also featured Derek Jacobi as the Master ironically enough.) It's a shame it's not canon: I liked that version of the Doctor.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1345 on: 19 July 2017, 11:10:39 »
I find it funny, despite clearing up that War Doctor exists, that new one is the Thirteenth Doctor.  Won't she be the Fourteenth?

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1346 on: 19 July 2017, 11:21:20 »
I find it funny, despite clearing up that War Doctor exists, that new one is the Thirteenth Doctor.  Won't she be the Fourteenth?

Nope, the War Doctor is still not one of the numbered ones.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1347 on: 19 July 2017, 12:38:12 »
Actually he does count, it's because Tennant got two turns that the numbering is off.

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #1348 on: 19 July 2017, 12:57:47 »
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/War_Doctor

The new Doctor promptly rejected his name, declaring, as he picked up and donned Cass' bandoleer, "Doctor no more", (TV: The Night of the Doctor) renaming himself "the Warrior" for a time.

The Doctor himself doesn't consider the War Doctor a "Doctor" as that incarnation didn't follow the principles that made him the Doctor.  So that's why Eccelson is the 9th and not John Hurt.
CDT Agent #319

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1349 on: 19 July 2017, 13:25:38 »
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/War_Doctor

The Doctor himself doesn't consider the War Doctor a "Doctor" as that incarnation didn't follow the principles that made him the Doctor.  So that's why Eccelson is the 9th and not John Hurt.

Yep, and since Tennant burnt a regeneration, he's still technically the 10th, even though he should be 10 and 10.2.
Five rounds, rapid!

Register