Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147508 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #1380 on: 25 December 2017, 23:51:26 »
Well, it's out in the wild.

It was interesting adventure.  I like the beginning, it was interest twist near the end.   I did find it strange that it ran little bit longer than i expected. (more than hour.) 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1381 on: 26 December 2017, 00:01:21 »
Well, it's out in the wild.

It was interesting adventure.  I like the beginning, it was interest twist near the end.   I did find it strange that it ran little bit longer than i expected. (more than hour.)

I liked the reveal on who the WW1 captain actually was...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1382 on: 26 December 2017, 01:12:56 »
I just through watching it myself.
Quite interesting. I rather enjoyed the shout-outs to the original First Doctor material as well.
While I don't have a firm read on Capaldi's regen speech, I think you get the feeling he wanted a bottom-up change. And in full honesty, how can you do that than switching genders? The only thing I didn't care for was cliffhanging it like the Tennant/Smith transition.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1383 on: 26 December 2017, 01:53:25 »
I liked the reveal on who the WW1 captain actually was...

Ruger

As if we couldn't see that coming from a mile away...

cheers,

Gabe

EDIT:  I see the spoiler tag is STILL not working.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2017, 03:14:03 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1384 on: 26 December 2017, 02:04:51 »
I miss Rusty. :( The whole episode was a feels fest, and while I enjoy those, I normally make fun of those. :(

(No offense, of course, I do so in a light hearted way, and try not to intentionally offend anyone.)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #1385 on: 26 December 2017, 06:57:00 »
As if we couldn't see that coming from a mile away...

True, but it was still pretty satisfying, IMO.

I liked the epsiode, overall.  BBCAmerica butchered it with the constant commercial breaks, but it was pretty solid. Chuckled at the Doctor's reaction when he found out what the the glass people were doing, loved Capaldi's final speech, really enjoyed Bradley as the First, super excited to see how Jodie takes to the role. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1386 on: 26 December 2017, 06:58:27 »
I wish the spoiler tag was working or i'd talk in more detail.  #P
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1387 on: 26 December 2017, 21:12:50 »
I wish the spoiler tag was working or i'd talk in more detail.  #P

I concur.  Hence why I tried to keep my comment spoiler minimum.  Even without knowing that Rusty's in the episode, I presume somebody knows that I like Rusty the Dalek*. :)

*From "Into the Dalek," of course. :)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1388 on: 26 December 2017, 22:22:50 »
Just finished it and...I'm completely broken-hearted. I knew it would suck saying goodbye to Capaldi's Doctor, but still...damn.
All in all, a really fine episode. I read a review of it earlier and they compared it favorably to "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" (Moffat's first TV episode). And in someways I can see what they were getting at.

And I concur, Capaldi's final speech was magnificent, poignant. Really boiled down the essence of his incarnation. Bradley was also brilliant as the first. I'm glad they could bring him back like that (and apparently he is also doing new First Doctor stories for Big Finish). And it's always fun to see Gatiss acting again. As sad as I am to see him go, I couldn't think of a better exit for Capaldi.

I'm sure Whittaker will make a brilliant Doctor. I just think I'm too much a fan of Capaldi in the role to really give her an unbiased try. Oh well, we'll see next autumn.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1389 on: 26 December 2017, 22:31:09 »

I'm sure Whittaker will make a brilliant Doctor. I just think I'm too much a fan of Capaldi in the role to really give her an unbiased try. Oh well, we'll see next autumn.

That's about all we can do.  Truthfully, I think Jodie will make a great Doctor. 

Five rounds, rapid!

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1390 on: 27 December 2017, 00:11:44 »
And already people ate hating the new Doctor and saying the show has turned into Ghostbusters

I hate the Internet
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1391 on: 27 December 2017, 02:34:04 »
And already people ate hating the new Doctor and saying the show has turned into Ghostbusters

I hate the Internet

Meh. Don't listen to them. They complained when Matt Smith took over from David Tennant. They complained when Capaldi came on board ("He's too oooold!!). The Internet always finds something to whine about. I'm sure the new Doctor will turn out just fine. (If only we didn't have to wait so long though...)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1392 on: 27 December 2017, 03:50:46 »
Meh. Don't listen to them. They complained when Matt Smith took over from David Tennant. They complained when Capaldi came on board ("He's too oooold!!). The Internet always finds something to whine about. I'm sure the new Doctor will turn out just fine. (If only we didn't have to wait so long though...)

Who fanzines were complaining about the new guy about as long as there's been semi-organised Who fandom.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1393 on: 27 December 2017, 05:30:06 »
Who fanzines were complaining about the new guy girl about as long as there's been semi-organised Who fandom.

FFY.

In this case, though, the complaints stem pretty well exclusively from the new actor's gender, not because of age, appearance, or lack of qualification for the role.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1394 on: 27 December 2017, 08:14:51 »
I thought the actress who David Tennet costarred with in Broadchurch, Olivia Colman would been good choice as female doctor.  Then again,  Catherine Tate was awesome as David's companion, for short while was sharing his Doctor's abilities when there was two of him.  I would loved see her in the role.

I just wanted the role go to who best tell a good story, no matter who they are. 

I just hope the stories improved, Moff's stuff was hit and miss at times. I still think the "The Day of the Doctor" (when all the doctor's showed up) was the best.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #1395 on: 27 December 2017, 08:57:02 »
Well, Jodie was the mom in Broadchurch, so you were close. 

Good call on Olivia Coleman, though,  She would do nicely.  I didn't have anyone in-mind this time, like I did last time.  I retrospect, though, I would have liked to see Colin Salmon give the role a go.  Or David Warner.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1396 on: 27 December 2017, 15:59:35 »
FFY.

Nope, I was talking about fanzines in the days prior to the internets.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1397 on: 27 December 2017, 17:05:19 »
So would anyone else think it would be interesting to see a Doctor stranded for a season? Would make a change (and hasn't been done really since the 3rd Doctor)...

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #1398 on: 27 December 2017, 18:36:23 »
I could get behind a stranded season.  I wondered if that wasn't the plan with the ending of the Christmas special.  My big problem with that is that it requires that the threats come to the Doctor, rather than the other way round. 

That being said... IF we get a stranded season, and IF it would happen to be in... say... Victorian London... and IF it would result in Vastra/Jenny/Strax as season-long companions... you could cast a small dog as the Doctor and I would watch it and love it.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1399 on: 27 December 2017, 18:50:07 »

Considering the fact that the new Ghostbusters was freaking great and hilarious, I can see that comparison as a good thing...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1400 on: 27 December 2017, 19:20:52 »
After talking to a couple other friends, and we all agreed that the only thing that was really worth griping about was how heavy handed they were about showing how sexist the First Doctor was. The first couple of times it was amusing seeing Bill's reaction, but after that it just became tedious. Yes, we get the point, times have changed, the Doctor has changed too. They could have been much more subtle and on point with that instead of whacking it with a sledgehammer.

I could get behind a stranded season.  I wondered if that wasn't the plan with the ending of the Christmas special.  My big problem with that is that it requires that the threats come to the Doctor, rather than the other way round. 

That being said... IF we get a stranded season, and IF it would happen to be in... say... Victorian London... and IF it would result in Vastra/Jenny/Strax as season-long companions... you could cast a small dog as the Doctor and I would watch it and love it.

It's a shame they didn't get their own spinoff show. Of course I would also be interested if they did it that way with Kate Stewart as well.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1401 on: 28 December 2017, 00:48:13 »

It's a shame they didn't get their own spinoff show. Of course I would also be interested if they did it that way with Kate Stewart as well.

The Who spinoffs have been pretty hit-or-miss IMO.  Sarah Jane Adventures worked (at least until its star's untimely death), Torchwood was very uneven, and Class got canned after one season.

That said, one big thread that was left dangling (and I was pretty surprised it wasn't touched on at all this past season) was the infiltration of UNIT by The Shoal (the brain aliens) at the end of last year's Christmas special.  I think addressing that problem would make a good basis for a UNIT-centred spinoff starring Jemma Redgrave.

Cheers, Gabe

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1402 on: 28 December 2017, 01:36:22 »
I'm going to miss 12. :(
Five rounds, rapid!

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1403 on: 28 December 2017, 07:46:52 »
Was Class even a spin off?  Or was it a different show somekne tacked the Doctor onto to try to make people watch it despite being unwatchable
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1404 on: 28 December 2017, 07:55:26 »
I'm not a fan of the stranded style seasons.  :P

It will be interesting how they explain the doctor survives a plummeting from the Tardis while like 10,000 feet in the air?

Personally, i thought it was kinda silly for 12 to torch the Tardis (again) with his regeneration. Didn't the doctor learn from the last time 10 keep doing that and ended badly?!?
« Last Edit: 28 December 2017, 09:03:25 by Wrangler »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1405 on: 28 December 2017, 08:01:19 »
Considering the fact that the new Ghostbusters was freaking great and hilarious, I can see that comparison as a good thing...

Ruger
Really? I can't remembr laughing during that film. I could see where they were trying to be funny, but they failed miserably, especially Kate McKinnon.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1406 on: 28 December 2017, 12:50:35 »
Question: Billy that was in the Christmas special really a copy of her vs she returned and turned into a Sentient Oil (That's what Pilot was called on the wiki page species wise.)

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1407 on: 28 December 2017, 16:46:53 »
I'm gonna take a guess and say it was established that she was effectively a copy.  She may have been that living oil...whatever thing, but if she was, I guess the process basically rendered her a copy.  Just my guess.
Five rounds, rapid!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1408 on: 28 December 2017, 18:08:06 »
Man. What is wrong with the Doctor having a nice quiet regeneration?  I guess today's audiences need to have a huge Bay-esque ending to start over?  I really liked Capaldi as well, and I wish Jodie well in the new role, but the year hiatus they did for Capaldi pretty much killed my watching interest.  I still love the series and will peek in on the wiki and this thread for example, but that's it for me.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #1409 on: 28 December 2017, 19:20:32 »
Question: Billy that was in the Christmas special really a copy of her vs she returned and turned into a Sentient Oil (That's what Pilot was called on the wiki page species wise.)

99.9% sure it was just a copy.
Otherwise what was the point of that line about a person just being a bunch of memories?

Register